1.0 Introduction

Sep 18, 2015 10:01 pm
Waterdeep is divided into many wards, with Castle Ward being centrally located. The ward is the location of Waterdeep's castle, and many retired adventurers. Maybe out of place in the affluent surroundings is Roland's Orphanage, a well run facility that cares for children and young adults who are homeless and without parents. Roland's adventuring days are over now, but he continues his good deeds by investing his wealth by looking after those less fortunate than himself.

You are an orphan in Roland's care, and you know yourself to be fortunate. After all, Roland is a paladin, and you could not hope for a fairer and more noble patron. Today is another day, a bright sunny morning, and the aromatic lure of bacon beckons from the kitchen downstairs. Your stomach rumbles, because you know Erika is a splendid cook, and you quickly dress and descend to the dining room. Tables are set for eight, and you take your normal seat with seven of your friends.

You may introduce yourselves...
Sep 19, 2015 5:34 pm
"Good Morning!"

Szent greets Erika with a smile as he enters the dining room, a scene he has repeated for the last 12 years, ever since Roland took him in at the age of six. Taking his place at the table the young paladin bows his head for a quick and silent prayer before continuing to chat with the cook. "Any signs of the others? I'm famished!"
Last edited September 19, 2015 5:41 pm
Sep 19, 2015 6:44 pm
Erika pauses to acknowledge Szent as she busies herself around the room, greeting the early arrivals. "Good morning Szent" she announces boisterously, slapping him on the back slightly harder than he likes. "You are always famished, lad." She shakes her head in friendly admonishment. "Go ahead and ring the bell. You won't be eating until everyone is seated."

Erika is a human female, and both her frame and personality are larger than life. She is perhaps 30 years old, slightly overweight, but her features are beautiful and her green eyes shine with humor and enthusiasm. Her clothes are matronly and grey, but even they don't prevent her personality from shining through and somehow illuminating the room. If the canteen was the whole of Waterdeep, she would be the sun. Her red hair is tied back in a bun, and she is wearing large white apron, stained with an assortment of foods clearly identifying her as the orphanage's cook.
Sep 19, 2015 7:16 pm
Only softs steps announce the arrival of Seneia Sorrow. It's difficult to decide whether she has been aptly or poorly named. Born a street urchin, she has not lived an easy life, but she seems to bear no obvious signs of it. Friendly and positive, a great admirer of all things beautiful, it's easy to think that no sorrows burden those slender shoulders.

"Good morning", Seneia says and sits down, immediately tilting the chair back, as she tends to do. She is dressed in her usual simple, loose-fitting clothes and her hair remains tied behind her head after her morning kata. Her rather big horns, curling down the sides of her head, have been painted in bright, seasonal colours.
Sep 20, 2015 1:28 am
A tall female strides authoritively into the canteen and nonchalantly says to Seneia, "All four legs on the floor, girl. How many times have I told you?" She doesn't wait for a response and rings the bell to alert the rest of the orphanage that it is breakfast time. She then makes her way to the head table. You all know her, of course, as she has been running the school in the orphanage for years. This is Ms Matilda, a woman respected by most, but feared by others, because she takes "no shit from no one" as some kids have been heard to say within these walls (much to the disgust of Roland, as he likes to discourage foul language).

Matilda is a female elf, and she bears the posture of arrogance and power, much like many elves. She is dressed in a black gown, and her eyes dance around the room, alertly watching the arriving orphans, seeking any hints of misbehavior. You know her to be a spell caster, but she maintains an air of mystery by not revealing much about herself.
Sep 20, 2015 3:15 pm
"Bacon!!" I run down the stairs and give Erika a quick hug before I seat myself next to Szent. "Good morning Ms Matilda!" I nod to the others at the table while eagerly awaiting the arrival of breakfast.
Sep 20, 2015 3:35 pm
Hearing the bell, Weylan drops the bit of boot leather he was working on, hurriedly dons his own shoes (Actual shoes!), and runs down to the dining room, eager for Erika's cooking. He's relieved to not be the last one to the table this time, and he grins at Alanya, Seneia, and Szent as he joins them. The halfling then tries to adopt a serious demeanor for "Miz Matilda's" haughty eyes, which is difficult. Meal times are his favorite times of day - not because of the food (although it's good), but because of the fellowship in a group.
Sep 21, 2015 3:33 am
More children arrive in the room, and the place is becoming fairly noisy now. Your table is close to the head table because you are amongst the eldest in the orphanage. The head table seats 4, and Ms Matilda is already seated. The other chairs are for Roland and Travis, you know that much, and they usually arrive earlier than this. The fourth always remains vacant, reserved for Erika, who is always too busy to sit. The orphanage cares for about fifty children, and is renowned for being the most caring Waterdeep has to offer.

Your group is now seating four, namely Szent, Seneia, Alanya and Weylan, but you expect more will arrive. No food will be served until all are seated. You might as well chat until all seats are occupied.
Sep 21, 2015 5:27 am
Seneia watches the younger kids arrive and gives couple of them a smile and nod as they pass by. She's not good at getting to know such a large number of people, but there are few she gets along with really well.

She reaches behind her back and starts untying her hair. "So, any good dreams last night?" she ask. "I remember dreaming about the fall, and the scent of harvest. I hope Erika has some apples, I'd really like one after that."
Sep 21, 2015 11:51 am
"I had another dream about the faceless prince. We were chased by direwolves into a meadow, and together we fought them off with just sticks and rocks. I saved his life, in fact. Then I sang for him and he fell madly in love with me." I shrug. "I also had a dream that I was flying through the air and landed in a pile of orange feathers. I think I like your dream better. At least that's more likely to happen than my dreams. Plus I love apples. You know, your horns look lovely today, Seneia."

I look across the table at the others who are here. "Weyland, you ok? Your face is all scrunched up. Szent, doesn't his face look all scrunched up?"
Last edited September 21, 2015 3:12 pm
Sep 21, 2015 12:16 pm
The bell rung for a while, but she had to put all the reagents back in the case and even if she knew the other would blame her to be late she had to do it. It couldn't help, that was her way and the art needed respect. Once done Feylinde run toward the common room, stopping just a moment to check her dress and set her long red hair behind her right ear, then the half-elf went inside.

"Sorry to be late guys" she said slowly moving to her sit at the table. "Happy not to be the last one" added with a smile, her green eyes pointed at the empty sits.
Sep 21, 2015 3:27 pm
Elden walks into the room with a bright smile on his face, and takes a seat at the table with his friends, "Good morning everyone! Sorry I'm a bit late, I had to finish some morning chores, took a bit longer than I expected."

Elden is a young man of 19 years, with sandy brown hair, tan skin, and bright green eyes. He always has a smile on his face and is well known in the orphanage for his tireless enthusiasm to help others. He is often seen with his head bowed in prayer or helping out at the temple of Lathander with Travis.
Last edited September 21, 2015 6:08 pm
Sep 21, 2015 5:05 pm
Weylan's face was scrunched up at the talk of dreams, as his dreams involved fire and abandonment, sense impressions of the loss of his tribal village as a child. He's embarrassed to show any signs of his disturbance to the others, especially to Alanya.

*Of course the prince would fall madly in love with her...* he thinks.

The stocky halfling is both fascinated and intimidated by Alanya: her training as a musician is so outside of his experience, it's like she's an exotic alien come to visit his world. He is similarly curious about Feylinde's artistic bent, but he relates more to Seneia's casual attitude about authority. He's closest to Elden and Szent, though: he instinctively trusts Elden as a cleric (they took him in and rescued him from the wilderness) and appreciates Szent's capacity with weapons. Weylan pulls out the seat next to him for Elden to join them.

(edit: formatting per game rules discussion)
Last edited September 21, 2015 6:24 pm
Sep 21, 2015 5:41 pm
Six are now seated at the table of eight. Seniors are expected to set the example of punctuality at meal times, so the delay is surprising to some. The canteen is full now, and the younger kids chatter excitedly. With only 50 people in a room it is surprising how noisy it can be.

Ms Matilda rings the bell again, and some areas of the room quieten somewhat. There are hatches along the wall adjacent to the kitchen, but they remain firmly closed. Everyone knows that when everyone is seated and quiet the hatches will open and food will be served. Some glance over expectantly, others keep talking, a couple of toddlers run around regardless.

You know the bell ring is a warning because Roland hasn't arrived yet, so you continue talking.
Sep 21, 2015 5:58 pm
Feylinde rose her eyebrows at Elden entrance, "Why are you shouting Elden? We're not deaf." Her serious face suddenly changed to cheerful as she started laughing.

Then Feylinde turned her attection to the halfling "What's up Weylan? You seems hadn't a good night."
Sep 21, 2015 6:18 pm
Rufio sneaks over the back wall into the orphanage. Normally he would be doing this long before first light, but in last night's brawl he had gotten careless and had actually taken a beating and ended up sleeping it off behind the tavern's stack of firewood. Landing softly in the cabbage patch behind the orphanage's kitchen, Rufio considers sneaking into his room first to get a change of clothes but he heard the breakfast bells long ago and knows he can't afford any further delays. The 16-year old boy dunks his head into the rainwater barrel at the kitchen's backdoor and shakes the water out of his spiked, red-striped hair. He thinks he has washed off most of the caked blood from his knuckles. He dashes through the kitchen, weaving and dodging his way through cooks and servers, snatching an apple off of a basket for good measure. Glad that Roland and Travis aren't around yet, he makes a dash for the table where he sees his friends are already seated. With a wolfish grin and a playful punch on Weylan's shoulder, Rufio slinks into his seat. He glances in Miss Miranda's direction to check if she has noticed him sneaking in...
Sep 21, 2015 6:48 pm
Weylan responds to Feylinde, nodding.

"Yeah, I had bad dreams again. I'd much rather have dreamed about Seneia and her apples."

It takes Weylan a few moments to figure out why everyone else is snickering at that, and then he blushes.

"I didn't!" and then, more quietly, I mean, I don't want to...! I mean...I'm sorry!"

He glances guiltily at Seneia, unable to meet her eye. He always seems to be messing up like this. He looks to Rufio for help. Rufio always seems like he's in control of the situation.
Last edited September 21, 2015 6:49 pm
Sep 21, 2015 6:49 pm
"About time, Rufio. Where have you been? You look terrible."
Sep 21, 2015 7:07 pm
Rufio scoffs at Alanya's comment. "You should see the other guy!" He takes a bite out of the apple he filched and winks at Weylan before adding airily, "I had a disagreement with a gentleman about his lady companion's apples. The matter was settled to the satisfaction of all parties."
Last edited September 21, 2015 7:08 pm
Sep 21, 2015 7:34 pm
Seneia smiles a crooked smile that shows more than a hint of her infernal heritage. "I am glad to hear you appreciate them apples, boys. They are good for you. Perhaps one of you could go to Erika and ask her for some."

She scratches the end of her horn absent-mindedly. "I wonder when we can start. The longer we sit here, the more I feel like wanting something meatier than just apples."
load next

Thread locked