Numenera Setting and Mechanics

Oct 23, 2014 5:31 pm
Just figured I would create a thread for you all to ask for clarifications regarding the setting or mechanics. This is also the place for rules and mechanical arbitration during the game.
Oct 23, 2014 11:32 pm
This is a somewhat silly and narratively lacking example of play posted by the developers. What it lacks in narrative prowess is more than made up for by the fact that this essentially teaches you everything you need to know as a player. I highly recommend watching the 30 minute numenera video. I will gladly advise you on the rest of the mechanics as we play.

Numenera Tutorial
Dec 15, 2014 3:17 pm
As this is the first roll of the game allow me to explain the following. In order to keep the game looking neat and more like a narrative I prefer to put rolling and mechanics discussion in an OOC thread. After we hash out the success or failure either you or myself will make an exposition post describing what happens. Anytime a die roll is called for I will post it as a link to this thread. I will post it in the following format:

Act *: I will post the name of the Act it is posted in and the name of the link that brought you here

Type of Roll: Which stat pool we are using for the test
Difficulty: The stated difficulty level and associated target number if I feel you should know
Effort Allowed: Whether or not you can lower the difficulty by applying levels of effort
Training the can Help: Which training and proficiency will lower the difficulty (feel free to inquire about other possibilities)
Assets: A list of potential items that can lower the difficulty

Act I: Seyyal Scanned the Area for....

Type of Roll: Intellect
Difficulty: Unknown
Effort Allowed: Yes
Training that can help: Anything perception related
Assets: Anything that improves sight or hearing
Dec 15, 2014 9:28 pm
So, if I understand the system right, I just roll a d20 for this one (since I can't expend effort in this case)?

And, the Advance Post doesn't seem to have a roll option, so I just used the roller from Tools:

1d20

( 5 ) = 5
Dec 15, 2014 10:22 pm
You did it correctly. I will fix the permissions for rolling in post. Also I thought about it and since you stated you were actively looking about, rather than checking to see if you notice something passively I will allow effort on this one. It was a low roll so I won't say whether or not it will be enough to succeed or not but you need to decide if it is worth the three intellect points.
Dec 15, 2014 10:33 pm
Nope, I wasn't going to spend effort anyway :) just feeling out the system (and making sure I understand it).
Dec 22, 2014 1:26 pm
Act I: The young man grasped Seyyal's wrist

Type of Roll: Might
Difficulty: Difficult (12)
Effort Allowed: Yes
Training that can help: Anything related to strength, pulling, gripping, or lifting
Assets: Support from the opposite railing lowers the difficulty by one level, assistance from another person
Dec 22, 2014 2:06 pm
Still can't attach rolls to posts in this thread.

1d20 - ( 10 ) = 10

I'd like to spend 1 Effort (which means spending 3 Might?) so that my roll, plus the effort plus the bonus from the railing gets a success (or 2 Effort if I need to beat the Target Number).
Dec 22, 2014 2:19 pm
You only can spend 1 effort (3 might) at this point. You have to spend 4 exp to increase your max effort to 2. Still 1 effort is sufficient for this roll. Technically the railing alone lowers the difficulty from Difficult (12) to Demanding (9) so you can save the might points and not even spend the effort. You can post exposition explaining your success, feel free to post dialogue for the NPC as well if you feel it matches what I have established already as far as personality goes.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.