OOC Discussion

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 21, 2015 1:50 am
Out of character discussion. Also any hints for a fledgling DM would be most appreciated as well.
Sep 22, 2015 12:46 am
Posting Times:

I don't have access to this site from work (and hate trying to post using my phone) so during the week I'll be unable to post until about 5:30-6:00 US eastern time.
Sep 22, 2015 10:01 am
That's very good to know; thanks. I'm on Pacific Time, myself.

I think having an option to show which time zone you're in would be a good profile feature on GP. Knowing one's time zone does help to set expectations.
Sep 22, 2015 8:51 pm
First post is up. One of the things that really intrigue me about PbP is the ability to send private notes to individual PCs and leaving others in the dark. I will be making extensive use of the "notes" functionality for this purpose.

Text conventions that I use:

"Speaking" - I find the bold makes it easier to see what is being said.
"Thinking" - Private thoughts a PC or NPC may be having.
OOC Content - For a quick question or whatever in an in game post.

Please feel free to use whatever convention works best for you - just wanted to let you all know what you'll be seeing when I'm posting.
Sep 23, 2015 3:44 am
Bold, italics, blue: got it.
Sep 25, 2015 6:21 pm
I just gotta say I love how everyone is playing his character!

Merlin is playing Cyriel so comically annoying! "It doesn't even save any syllables!"

Jabes is playing Valrakas wonderfully charismatic and brash. "Being serious is thirsty work!"

Naatkinson is playing Vex as a great foil for both, in addition to the physical comedy of a gnome in a man-sized world. "Where would we find a chicken costume, anyway?"

This game is starting off strong; I'm going to have to step up.
Last edited September 25, 2015 6:22 pm
Sep 25, 2015 6:23 pm
I'm really enjoying the interplay between the characters, it makes me sad that this is a one-shot with no continuation.
Sep 25, 2015 6:25 pm
I'm really happy that I have such strong players for my first go at this. You guys are making this a lot of fun for me!! :-)
Sep 28, 2015 4:32 pm
Naatkinson says:
Perception (Disadvantage) - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)
1d20+2 - ( 18 ) + 2 = 20
1d20+2 - ( 17 ) + 2 = 19
Naatkinson says:
Stealth [Disadvantage] - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)
1d20+4 - ( 19 ) + 4 = 23
1d20+4 - ( 15 ) + 4 = 19
Naatkinson has got this Disadvantage thing down! Like a boss! :-D
Sep 28, 2015 4:33 pm
Vex has to make up for his terrible stats somehow!
Sep 28, 2015 9:57 pm
I feel bad that all of the rolls are happening when nothing is going on (or is there?). Of course that's the way it always seems to work, isn't it.
Sep 30, 2015 11:18 pm
Pg 147 phb
Thrown. If a weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon to make a ranged attack. If the weapon is a melee weapon, you use the same ability modifier for that attack roll and damage roll that you would use for a melee attack with the weapon. For example, if you throw a handaxe, you use your Strength, but if you throw a dagger, you can use either your Strength or your Dexterity, since the dagger has the finesse property.
Sep 30, 2015 11:40 pm
You're right - I stand corrected! I don't know how I misread that. I'll amend my character sheet, too.
Sep 30, 2015 11:55 pm
He found that I was doing this in another game we're playing on here. Never would have caught it if he hadn't pointed it out.
Sep 30, 2015 11:58 pm
I'm a bit of a rules encyclopedia lol
Sep 30, 2015 11:58 pm
It's all well-intentioned though :)
Sep 30, 2015 11:59 pm
Well-appreciated as well!
Oct 1, 2015 12:17 am
Sorry, crazy all-day/night at work.. Will post 8hrs from now.
Oct 1, 2015 12:37 am
Naatkinson: thank you again!

Jabes.plays.RPG: Man, you have a business to run! We get it, and appreciate all the time that you spend on the site already.
Oct 1, 2015 2:23 pm
Which (if any) of the optional Combat Options from the DMG are you implementing, Szemely?
*Climb Onto bigger Creature
*Disarm
*Mark
*Overrun
*Shove Aside
*Tumble
*Hitting Cover
*Cleaving Through Creatures
*Injuries
*Massive Damage
Oct 1, 2015 8:25 pm
None. Second time DMing a 5E game so I'm going to keep things simple. :-)

I'll have a story post up in about an hour or so...
Oct 1, 2015 8:42 pm
No worries. Just checking :-)
Oct 1, 2015 8:43 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:

Wow - I'm going to have to read my DMG more closely! I'm imagining "Shadow of the Colossus" scenarios now!
Oct 1, 2015 8:49 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:

Wow - I'm going to have to read my DMG more closely! I'm imagining "Shadow of the Colossus" scenarios now!
P 271 of the DMG :)
Oct 2, 2015 8:30 pm
I can't tell you how much I am enjoying playing this character. :)
Totally the most ridiculous character I have ever played.
Oct 2, 2015 11:05 pm
No use letting good goblins corpses go to waste. :-)
Oct 3, 2015 4:32 pm
How much longer to I have on that exhaustion?
Oct 3, 2015 4:52 pm
There's a specific location I have in mind where it will wear off. Not too much longer.

When I ran the game originally I had anyone that failed three swim rolls in a row suffer HP damage instead. The exhaustion seemed more reasonable this time around.
Oct 3, 2015 4:59 pm
I do appreciate the exhaustion in place of HP damage lol
Not that I really mind, the disadvantage is causing some fun for me
Oct 3, 2015 5:04 pm
That's one thing that I tried to get across to the people that I was running this with IRL. Don't look at a bad situation as something bad, look at as an opportunity to have something cool happen that wouldn't have happened otherwise. Not sure they bought it though. :-)
Oct 3, 2015 5:06 pm
Psshhh, that's the point of these games. It's not to win all the time with no trouble, it's to have cool stuff happen!
Oct 3, 2015 5:25 pm
I think they'll get there as we continue to play. RPGs are still a bit of a foreign concept to them as they're used to boardgames and strict sequences of play and the like. We're firing up the start of a campaign on the 15th (did a character creation session last week) so we'll see how it goes. :-)
Oct 3, 2015 5:26 pm
Good luck, and enjoy teaching the newbies!
Oct 6, 2015 4:43 am
Err...Valrakas doesn't wear any armor. Nor clothes, except for trousers. He is a bare-torsoed pirate minotaur barabarian :-) Cyriel can put the glow on Valrakas' harpoon, I guess.
Oct 6, 2015 11:58 am
Sounds saucy. OK then big guy, Cyriel will touch your harpoon.
Last edited October 6, 2015 12:03 pm
Oct 6, 2015 2:35 pm
Merlin says:
Sounds saucy. OK then big guy, Cyriel will touch your harpoon.
LOL!
Oct 6, 2015 9:26 pm
Wow, going to have to rename this game "The Pict Problem: After Dark!" :-)
Oct 6, 2015 11:05 pm
Horns and Harpoons, Fifth Edition.
Oct 8, 2015 6:39 am
Haha, sorry gang, I know it's reckless and will probably land us in a spot of trouble, but that's how things are around Valrakas :-D
Oct 8, 2015 2:30 pm
Ok, I missed the part about the tunnels being only 3ft high. Obviously only Vex can get in there without going on all fours (a risky proposition for sure). I doubt Valrakas could or would anyhow.

How does the main tunnel look?
Oct 8, 2015 3:47 pm
Yeah, I'm hoping that the last turn is into a larger tunnel, or else Vex is going to go fishing for us (running down passages and then letting things chase him back into the tight squeeze so we can fight them...except only one of us could fight in this narrow passage, so if we're forced to do that, we should probably go back to the saddle room with Cyriel.
Oct 8, 2015 4:03 pm
I really hope I don't have to play bait!
Oct 8, 2015 10:20 pm
You can assume that "BRAK DA GUH!" is goblin for "Blow me!" or any other saying along those lines. :-)
Oct 9, 2015 3:06 pm
So I'm having a hard time picturing what happened. Here's what I thought happened:
We were all in the saddle room ("You are here" on the map). Vex went south into that narrow, 2.5' wide corridor (the "main" corridor). At the first torch, he looked around the corner and wolves started growling.
Vex ducked back so the wolves couldn't see him.
Erevior walked south into that corridor, coming up behind Vex.
Valrakas squeezed south into that corridor, behind Erevior.
A goblin came into the main corridor, saw the party, and ran south, past the first two side passages, and ducked into the third side passage.
The goblin yells about leaving his doggies alone.
Valrakas bull rushes south along the narrow main corridor, pushing Erevior and Vex in front of him.
They pass the first side passage, which contains a cage with wolves. They rile up, and the goblin yells to calm them.
They pass the second side passage, the wolves there start to rile up, and the goblin peeks back around the corner of the third side passage, making an insulting (but unintended) racial slur at Vex.
Vex passes the goblin to continue to the end of the corridor, where it turns east.
Somehow, Valrakas passes Erevior in the narrow corridor to follow Vex?
Somehow, Valrakas passes Vex in the narrow corridor to look around the corner?
Valrakas sees a door around the corner.
Valrakas walks back north to the third passage, threatens the goblin, who slinks away after calling an insult.
Cyriel comes south down the narrow corridor to join the others.
Is that correct?
I don't actually know where we are, relative to each other anymore. It's a bit like Heisenberg's cat: I know we're all in the north-south corridor somewhere, but more than that, I can't say.
I probably missed some secret and awesome stuff involving stealth and acrobatics. No matter, I guess.
http://i.imgur.com/xBNxj0E.jpg
Last edited October 9, 2015 3:09 pm
Oct 9, 2015 5:04 pm
Sorry for the confusion, let's see if I can straighten things up a bit...

Initially you were all in the saddle room. Vex went to peek into the first tunnel and wolves started making noise. He slid back a bit and Erevior and Valrakas came up behind him.

Goblin comes in from the south, gets hit with radiance, and darts into the third tunnel.

Valrakas says he's going to charge goblin pushing everyone along with him.

I remind him that the tunnels that the goblin side stepped into are just 3' tall (In essence canceling his charge. Valrakas then changes to searching the main tunnel). I should have been more clear that Valrakas running down the hall was canceled. When he changed to searching I just assumed he was walking behind Vex as Vex was checking into the tunnel (had squeezed by Erevior).

So, I have Valrakas at the end of the hallway, Vex peering into the third tunnel, Erevior and Cereal at the northern end of the tunnel.

Sound about right?
Oct 9, 2015 5:36 pm
Yeah, I'm back with the Froot Loops. Thanks for the clarification.
Oct 9, 2015 10:37 pm
No, that does not sound right at all!!! Who's Cereal?

Btw, I was confused too, thanks for the clarification.
Oct 11, 2015 5:10 pm
I've seen on another thread that there may be an issue with the 'notes' feature. I was wondering if Naatkinson saw the one where Vex was called a "No beard dwarf". Not that it would have changed the outcome or anything, I just want to make sure if the feature is working here or not.

Note to Naatkinson
The second tunnel is much like the first, two wolves behind a locked metal gate. They appear to be well taken care of and have what appears to be a fresh bedding of hay lining their 'den'. As you look down the third tunnel there is yet another gate. The goblin has locked himself in with his 'doggies' and is petting them to calm them down. He appears to be unarmed.
Oct 11, 2015 5:20 pm
I can see the notes. I think that I actually mentioned the no beard dwarf thing in one of my posts.
Oct 11, 2015 5:24 pm
You did mention that, but the no beard thing wasn't actually part of the note, so I just wanted to make sure everyone is seeing what I think they were. Thanks!
Oct 13, 2015 1:58 pm
This could be amusing. Sleep isn't restricted to hostile targets, it starts with the lowest hp creature in the area (which is probably Cyriel), so he could potentially put himself (or us) to sleep.
Oct 13, 2015 2:13 pm
I don't think anyone (other than Cyriel[*]) has lower HP than the goblins, who've been dropping with 4 HP of damage. But he probably knows well enough to center it 11' away from himself. So they'll drop first, but that leaves 20 HP of sleep: Vex will drop (at around 10 HP) if he's in range, or Erevior (at 12 HP), but there won't be enough left to drop Valrakas, a barbarian with at least 12 (probably more like 11 current) HP.

* - Not knowing how to pronounce it, we were joking that it rhymes with "Cereal" or "Surreal"
Oct 14, 2015 3:21 am
I am in Costa Rica this week, so lagging a lot. I don't have any of my books. I didn't realize sleep affects the caster. I guess elven resistance to sleep is old D&D. Anyway he had to do something drastic cos he's on one hp.

I pronounce Cyriel in my head like Cereal, or Cyril with an e, so I'll let you off.
Oct 14, 2015 3:23 am
Sleep can affect the caster, but can't actually affect elves, I had forgotten that.
Oct 14, 2015 10:12 pm
Naatkinson says:
Sleep can affect the caster, but can't actually affect elves, I had forgotten that.
Totally forgot about that - I'll have to remember to keep checking your sheets!
Oct 16, 2015 2:10 am
So, no books with me. How long would we have to rest for Vex to get his cures back. Cyriel is on one hit point, so I'm feeling a little vulnerable.
Oct 16, 2015 2:12 am
8 hours would get all your HP back, 1 hour would allow you to spend your hit die to regain HP. I need 8 hours to regain spells
Oct 16, 2015 3:12 am
Aha! I forgot about the hit dice roll. Is everyone ok with waiting an hour? I'll do what the group wants.
Oct 16, 2015 3:50 am
That's what Vex was hinting at ;)
Oct 17, 2015 3:16 pm
An hour is fine. Eight might be OK, too, depending on what the pirate finds.
Last edited October 17, 2015 3:17 pm
Oct 17, 2015 3:19 pm
"By the Light of My Harpoon: the Valrakas Story" in bookstores now. Get your copy today!
Oct 17, 2015 3:49 pm
When's the book signing?
Oct 17, 2015 4:54 pm
Eight would be best so I can get spells back
Oct 18, 2015 4:36 pm
I'm good with 8 too. Just wanting you to know I'm still here but have nothing to contribute right now. Zzzzzzzzz.
Oct 19, 2015 8:07 pm
We planning on short or long rest?
Oct 19, 2015 8:20 pm
As a player I would prefer 8hrs to recharge the casters' abilities as well as the 1 rage slot I burned. But my PC? He's impatient by nature and us anxious to continue hehe!
Oct 19, 2015 8:34 pm
Casters are way more fun to play at higher level lol
Two spells per day sucks, though cantrips take away some of the sting :)
Oct 19, 2015 10:14 pm
Long rest then?
Oct 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Yes, long rest. Cyriel needs to regenerate spells.
Oct 19, 2015 10:40 pm
Sounds good to me. I need spells too, I'm the only healer!
Oct 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Done and done!
Oct 21, 2015 10:11 pm
Going to give Merlin another day before moving him along with the group. Doesn't look like he's been on for day or so.
Oct 22, 2015 3:17 am
Sorry, been a crazy work week.
Oct 22, 2015 3:55 am
Glad to know it wasn't something more dire!
Oct 23, 2015 4:11 pm
I'm laughing out loud at this chain of bad rolls.

"Awww," the goblin children say, reassured by the solid presence of the big cow man rather than intimidated, "He's so soft and fuzzy!"
Oct 23, 2015 7:05 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
I'm laughing out loud at this chain of bad rolls.

"Awww," the goblin children say, reassured by the solid presence of the big cow man rather than intimidated, "He's so soft and fuzzy!"
Hahaha! Yes, I imagined the exact same thing! :-D

http://www.madadventurers.com/angry-rants-cool-it-with-the-dice/
Oct 25, 2015 5:06 pm
Quote:
Erevior has a nagging suspicion, an uneasiness about all these dead-end corridors.
I was thinking that while Valrakas was exploring on his own, but I didn't feel like the minotaur would think to check the cave-ins for secret doors or illusions. Then again, having a knack for these things could be one way to interpret the Labyrinthine Recall racial feature.
Oct 26, 2015 4:28 am
What a wasted perception check!
Oct 27, 2015 5:46 pm
I can't believe we all forgot about the key... lol
Oct 27, 2015 9:10 pm
Naatkinson says:
I can't believe we all forgot about the key... lol
Well I didn't haha! But I did miss the part where they said the door was locked! :-P
Nov 1, 2015 5:27 am
Also, I think I handled the goblin being knocked prone thing correctly. Seems like it's just half movement to pop back up - doesn't seem like much of a penalty really...[/quote]

Yeah, it only takes half a move to pop back up. Prone is useful when allies get a melee attack before the hostile's turn. Though of course there'll sometimes be situations where just denying them half a move is an advantage in itself.
Nov 1, 2015 4:38 pm
Erevior wanted to make sure that this Super Invincible Goblin doesn't get away, and that he has the chance of fighting it.
Nov 1, 2015 5:22 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
Erevior wanted to make sure that this Super Invincible Goblin doesn't get away, and that he has the chance of fighting it.
Yup, knockdown usually means that foe is forced to fight you even if they pop back up. Good strategy! :-)
Nov 3, 2015 11:07 pm
I assume you're all going back the same way that you came in?
Nov 4, 2015 12:33 am
That would be my guess
Nov 4, 2015 4:50 am
Actually, Valrakas found another exit tunnel. If it seems to him like a shorter route (he would know) then he'll lead them that way.
Nov 4, 2015 12:31 pm
The route that Valrakas found is indeed shorter it just hasn't been investigated yet. Unless I hear differently I'll move the party in that direction tonight.
Nov 4, 2015 11:40 pm
That isn't logical to Cyriel. I'll post something.
Nov 8, 2015 7:09 am
Sorry for the silence...been incredibly busy...will post later today. Valrakas will wanna rush the opposition but the others will probably want to secure the kid first.
Nov 8, 2015 2:03 pm
Beautiful rolls, Merlin!
Nov 8, 2015 3:52 pm
Yes! Hurray for Sleep! :-)
Nov 9, 2015 3:34 am
Naatkinson says:
Ooc: Javelin actually use strength for hit and damage.
Whoah! Really? We based Valrakas harpoon on the javelin, so I should be using Str for attack rolls then! So that makes Valrakas' latest attack result 11, not 9 (if it makes a difference).
Nov 9, 2015 5:06 am
PHB says:
Rage...ends early...if your turn ends and you haven’t attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then.
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
With his harpoon lying in the dirt dozens of feet away Valrakas draws his cutlass and shield as he charges forward. As his bloodlust rises he licks the cutlass blade, drawing blood.
Let me know if this was cheating haha! If I must, I'll change my action to a single 60' movement + thrown dagger or something (instead of a Dash).
Last edited November 9, 2015 11:57 am
Nov 9, 2015 10:54 am
Val needs to roll initiative. Roll high, my friend. ;-)
Nov 9, 2015 11:58 am
Merlin says:
Val needs to roll initiative. Roll high, my friend. ;-)
Oops. You're right! Added an init roll to my post. Thanks for the reminder! :-)
Nov 9, 2015 11:37 pm
I have the harpoon missing, but still glowing and while it did miss, it's close enough to illuminate the target.

And yes, Merlin, Cyriel should be 90' away. I was thinking the range on the sleep spell was 60', not 90'
Nov 10, 2015 12:50 am
DM... You said, "One more action for each of you", then we didn't get an action. #justsayin
Nov 10, 2015 2:43 am
Merlin says:
DM... You said, "One more action for each of you", then we didn't get an action. #justsayin
Cyriel's Magic Missile, Vex's crossbow shot, Val's charge, and Erevior's javelin throw. And you each rolled initiative as well.

#whatamimissing
#thisisnottwitter
#whydoikeepdoingthis
#STOP
Nov 10, 2015 2:55 am
I guess I'm missing acknowledgement of my action. For example Val and Vex were acknowledged by DM but my magic missile wasn't. So I'm immensely upset about that because I like that spell and it's my last one. #stilljustsayin #intothedarkness
Nov 10, 2015 2:57 am
Quote:
He drops to his knees in pain and quickly tries to get back to his feet when three more missiles hit him in quick succession.
#illbolditnexttime
#goddamnimstillhashtagging
Nov 10, 2015 3:05 am
#ishouldlearntoread #cheers
Nov 10, 2015 3:13 am
#cyrieltrippedoverarootandbrokehisneck
#sorrynotsorry

Ok, enough of all that. :-)
Nov 10, 2015 7:04 pm
Ah, the life of a goblin. Blissful sleep on the cold, hard ground, interrupted by man slapping you awake and screaming "GET THEM!!!"

...and no grace to say "Hey, I just need a couple of minutes to wake up, boss..." No coffee, nothing. Just get in there and die like a Go Bo.
Nov 10, 2015 11:13 pm
Goblins are just like a race of evil fodder for stronger creatures it would seem. Could be worse, I suppose, they could be Kobolds...

Normally I wouldn't have put so many friendly 'bad' guys in a scenario but I didn't want the newbies (to both D&D and RPGs) that I originally made this for to think that killing everything in sight was the way to play.
Nov 11, 2015 12:49 am
So how does that cater for the oldies who kill everything in sight? My weekly group spends an hour planning an intricate stealth operation then walks through the front door and kills everything... Every time!!
Nov 11, 2015 2:56 am
Well, Valrakas hasn't killed the gobo twins yet hahaha! Yeah, oldie here too. Back in the day it was murder hobo heaven LOL! I like what you've done, Szem! Reminds me of Drizzt and Nojheim.
Last edited November 11, 2015 2:58 am
Nov 11, 2015 3:57 pm
I like it; I've always had sympathy for the opposition in the game. But then, I'm usually the DM, so I sort of have to...
Nov 11, 2015 10:45 pm
I first played when I was about 11 or 12 and at the time that's all my friends and I did. Enter a room, kill everything, loot, repeat. :-)

Loved it at the time - wouldn't appeal much to me now. The newbs did a pretty good job with it. It was actually kind of funny to see how timid they were with their characters ("I don't like the looks of this, let's go back") and how they were more interested in grappling the goblins so they could question them than outright killing them.

Glad ya like it. It's run a lot smoother than I thought it might going into this (mostly from my lack of experience running things).
Nov 12, 2015 1:25 am
Note that Valrakas DID move this turn; he did a dash (double move) to try to get close to the man for next round...
Nov 12, 2015 2:28 am
That was last turn which ended with the human smacking the goblin awake. Valrakas is the top of the order (and 10' away after his dash) after initiative rolls (and Cyriel and Vex already have their actions picked out for the current turn).

At least that's how I have it in my mind. Am I the only one?
Nov 12, 2015 3:39 am
You asking me? I can't read.

I keep track by looking at who has posted after the DM. So on that basis you are correct DM.
Nov 12, 2015 7:47 am
szemely says:
That was last turn which ended with the human smacking the goblin awake. Valrakas is the top of the order (and 10' away after his dash) after initiative rolls (and Cyriel and Vex already have their actions picked out for the current turn).

At least that's how I have it in my mind. Am I the only one?
No, you're absolutely right. I was confusing the second round with this third round.
Nov 13, 2015 2:48 am
I'll have something posted in the main thread tomorrow. A bit beat after tonight's festivities...
Nov 18, 2015 3:17 pm
Added "Or ye can hold on t'me while I swim" to Valrakas' dialogue. With that option would I be making swim checks at disadvantage? Obviously not the best idea.
Nov 18, 2015 5:31 pm
To cross the river without getting hit with an exhaustion penalty you need one successful athletics check out of three tries. Carrying Brynn across will result in a disadvantage to each of those rolls but the worst case scenario is you'll turn up on the other bank exhausted (which may or may not mean anything at this point in the game).
Nov 21, 2015 5:22 am
Well, I think that about wraps this one shot up. I loved how it played completely different from when I ran it with my newbie friends face to face and quite liked running a game in this format. Definitely some advantages to the play by forum format!

Thanks for playing, everyone. You've all made my first experience running a game here a very pleasant one!
Nov 21, 2015 6:59 am
Was a good game, look forward to you running another!
Nov 21, 2015 7:01 am
I really enjoyed it too! I wish this wasn't a one shot! Hehe!
Nov 21, 2015 12:42 pm
Oh!! Well do we level up ? Haha. Actually I quite liked Cyriel as a character. Fun playing with you all.
Nov 22, 2015 5:19 pm
I'm most likely going to be setting up something else here before the end of the month. I'll let ya all know before setting it up officially. As for this one I'm going to officially retire the game in the next couple of days just to clear it from my list. The forum should still stick around although I don't think anyone will have permission to post to it anymore.
Nov 23, 2015 9:01 am
One of the more fun games I've played here on GP. Thank you!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.