Part 1: The end and the beginning.

load previous
Oct 9, 2015 11:28 pm
"I fear our old friend was quite delusional, surely there's nothing of any interest in that thing?" whispers to Maximilian as he reluctantly agrees that the box should be examined away from Rupert's family.
Last edited October 9, 2015 11:29 pm
Oct 11, 2015 6:12 pm
To Sven:
"Agreed. He was surely delirious. And yet I am very curios. And it WAS his dying wish."

To a nurse:
"Nurse, we wish to meet in private to discuss our late friend's affairs. Perhaps an unoccupied room would do, please?"

To James:
"Join us, my good lad."
Last edited October 11, 2015 6:17 pm
Oct 13, 2015 2:31 am
The nurse nods and begins to motion you to a room when Rupert's son steps towards Max. "What could you possibly have to say that you can't say in front of us?" young Charles demands.
Oct 13, 2015 6:59 pm
OOC: Which of us knows the family best?
Oct 14, 2015 10:35 pm
Given your backgrounds, I would imagine that you all know the family members only in passing save for Rupert himself. Charles isn't singling any one of you out in particular.
Oct 14, 2015 10:49 pm
Looking at Charles, Sven calmly explains, "Your father has asked the three of us, and just the three of us, to carry out a favor for him as his last wish. If we determine at some later point that it is in your best interest to know of this favor then we shall tell you about it. Until then, you'll have to let us go about our business in private."

EDIT: Balls!
Last edited October 14, 2015 10:49 pm

Rolls

Persuade Skill (Checking against 60) - (1d100)

(81) = 81

Oct 15, 2015 11:37 pm
I speak softly in Sven's ear:
"Play along."

To Charles:
"Charles, Ester, my heart breaks for your loss. OUR loss. Charles, your father wanted us to wrap up some of his work commitments. It is stuff that is quite dry and I am sure you won't be interested. But do join us if you like, and we'll go over it at length. Or if you need to help your mother with the arrangements, we understand."

OOC: If he does join us, I will go on and on about tedious academic stuff until Charles gets bored and leaves. Then we can go to my office and look in the box.
Oct 19, 2015 1:39 am
Charles shoots an icy glance at Sven. "Who the hell do you think you are to talk to me like that?!" he challenges, his voice raising quite loudly. A few of the nurses exchange nervous glances while Ester rushes over and puts her arm around her son. He shrugs it off and stares down Max. "What work commitments are you talking about? He never mentioned anything about work commitments." His staring makes you feel a bit uncomfortable.
Oct 23, 2015 1:12 am
To Charles:
"Charles, we are all upset, but I am so glad you want to help us. As you may know, in the last four years, since King Tutankhamen's tomb was opened, hundreds of scholarly papers and books have been written. Your father was doing some work on the relationship between some rituals during King Tut's time and those of the Third Dynasty. We were going to divide up the work of reading through these papers and books, to make sure that your father was given due credit for some of his ideas. I can make a list of papers and books to read and help you get a temporary pass to the Miskatonic Library, so that you may help us. I warn you, this will be a LOT of reading, but I am touched by your concern and so glad you may be interested in helping us. It IS rather dry, after all, and dividing up the work will help. I am guessing it will take about three hundred hours of reading time for each of us, so we best get started. Also, it may help to take a class in ancient Egyptian history - one just started here at MU and I can pull some strings to let you audit it. Shall I make you that reading list?"

(OOC: I am hoping he will get bored and go away, or that this is enough to satisfy his curiosity and get him out of our hair.)
(OOC again: Apologies for the delay - for some reason I was expecting someone else to pipe in, and only now realized Charles was addressing only me.)
Oct 28, 2015 1:12 am
Charles frowns and takes the slightest step back from Max, his laziness betraying him. "No, I don't need any reading list. I just want-" Before he can finish his sentence, Agnes breaks down into tears. Charles, still the dutiful son, turns and walks over putting his arm around her. She collapses into his arms. "Nurse!" Charles yells. "Please call for our car. My mother needs to get home to bed." He shoots the three of you an icy glare before turning back to attend to his mother. The nurse returns shortly with a tea set that she sets on the small table in the waiting room. Fifteen minutes later Charles and Agnes leave down the hallway and out into the night. After the orderlies arrive some minutes later to transfer Rupert's remains to the morgue, you find the time to be half past seven and the three of you essentially alone with the box.
Oct 28, 2015 2:24 am
"Shall we, Gentlemen?" Sven asks the others.
Nov 3, 2015 9:53 pm
The three of you sit around the small table in the hospital waiting room and place the wooden box in the center. The wood is aged and cracked in places along the sides, but is still quite sturdy. A simple brass clasp latches it closed. Sven opens the box slowly, a strong musty odor creeping out that makes each of you turn a face.

A yellowed envelope sits on top with the address of the farm at Ross's Corner Rupert spoke of before his passing, a slim leather journal, and an ornate sarcophagus-shaped box. Inside the envelope you find a key, presumably to the front door or gate , and the deed showing ownership to one Rupert Merriweather. The sarcophagus is covered in hieroglyphs.
Nov 3, 2015 11:03 pm
Sven will pick up the sarcophagus box and look to see if there is an obvious way to open it, assuming it opens at all, and will hand the leather journal to Max. "I wonder if this opens..."
Nov 4, 2015 11:13 pm
The sarcophagus flips open with ease but to Sven's disappointment, it is quite empty. The carvings on the inside of the box are very different from those on the outside.
Nov 5, 2015 6:52 pm
"Let's walk over to my office and read this journal. I'll put a kettle on; we seem to have some nice tea we can brew. This may be a late night."

Am looking over the markings on the outside and inside of the sarcophagus. Here are some possible rolls.
(Edit OOC: Boy, what sucky rolls!)
Last edited November 5, 2015 9:24 pm

Rolls

History - 80% - (1d100)

(99) = 99

Anthropolgy - 41% - (1d100)

(72) = 72

Cthulhu Mythos - 5% - (1d100)

(56) = 56

Nov 11, 2015 1:56 am
Max frowns as he looks over the markings. Nothing comes to mind. Perhaps the tea will be of some help.
Nov 12, 2015 5:15 pm
On the way to my office, we take a slight detour to see in any of my acquaintances in the Egyptology department are in tonight for a quick consultation.
Last edited November 12, 2015 5:15 pm
Nov 12, 2015 8:30 pm
"You believe one of your associates can make sense of any of those hieroglyphs?"
Nov 13, 2015 1:02 am
"Yes. We must give the sad news to his colleagues, and I think some of them may be able to help with this. Let's keep Rupert's fevered dreams about malevolent forces between us, though - no point in letting on about that. Agreed?"
Last edited November 13, 2015 1:03 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.