Jorune: Introductions and Getting Started

Sep 22, 2015 5:12 am
I am about to start the game thread for the first sequence, and I'd like the characters to introduce themselves here, and say a bit about how you know each other. So far, we have a boccord Shadow Warrior from the forest depths of Glounda, a human-raised crugar Querrid, and a crugar warrior (ex-militia), all working together to become citizens of Ardoth. They've worked together before, either as a trio or in separate pairs, and so know one another. But for our players' benefit, introduce yourselves!

-------------------------------

On an administrative note, I need to talk about time. Time in the Skyrealms of Jorune RPG is measured in sessions...but that concept doesn't really apply to PbP here on Gamers' Plane. Instead, I'm going to present the game in a cinematic way, breaking up the action into "sequences:" a sequence is one series of connected, contiguous scenes, usually one day's worth of activity.

As we begin the game, decide: does your character learn by succeeding with a skill, or by failing with a skill? Post that as part of your introduction.

At the beginning of each sequence (such as now), you will assign your foci to skills. Include your foci assignments as part of your introduction (read more detail about foci). Then, when I announce the end of a sequence, you will get to choose whether to attempt to improve skills with a focus, or to save the rolls for a future attempt.

I will announce when enough time has passed for you to regain stamina (read more about combat and healing), usually every few sequences.

In general, I will post system information (game mechanics and setting details) in the Jorune information forum. You may want to visit it periodically, but you might not want to subscribe to it (in case you don't want to receive constant e-mail updates).

Finally, we have at least one other player who signed up for the game and may yet join us; any players who join later will be worked into the plot as they arrive. Let me know if you think of anyone who might like an invitation to join us.
Sep 23, 2015 3:55 pm
Ullis is a muadra street kid, a "dyte punk." He's been learning various dyshas as he's trying to take positive action to improve his situation, and maybe as a Drenn he will be able to work on behalf of other muadra in Ardoth.

That's been his thinking, but the tasks he's received so far as part of his tothis have taken him outside of the city several times.

He's teamed up with Miniri, the crugar querrid, several times. Ullis appreciates Miniri's expertise - Miniri has been teaching Ullis how to read a bit during various missions - and he feels a kinship with him as somebody even more of an outcast than a muadra street punk.

Ullis has had fewer interactions with Barragar, the silent boccord warrior, but Barragar saved Miniri and Ullis on a trip to the southern city of Miedrinth when Ullis had used all his isho, Miniri tried to talk to a cougar and its pups, and it attacked. They completed that mission together, and have worked together since.

Ullis doesn't know much about the crugar warrior, Gythaar, but he has a healthy respect for his capabilities. They've done one previous mission together, which involved intercepting an illicit shipment of shirm-eh, but ended up in a fight with a ramian in chiveer. That was terrifying, but between Barragar,Gythaar, and Ullis' dyshas, they managed to drive off the hideous alien intact.

Ullis has known about Marik most of his life; Marik has been tauther for longer than Ullis has, and Marik has all the respect of the muadra community in Ardoth that Ullis does not have, being seen as a delinquent that will never amount to anything. But Ullis does not resent Marik at all; he respects the caji much like all other muadra do, but on missions he's treated Marik like a respected uncle or grandparent - someone old-fashioned, a little infirm, but deeply valued nonetheless. For all that, Marik continues to impress Ullis with his mastery of isho; there have been several times where Ullis was about to lightning blast something, and Marik came up with a more elaborate and graceful dysha to accomplish the task.

(edited to add Ullis' relationship with Marik)
Sep 25, 2015 8:07 pm
Marik is a Muadra Caji, an expert in dyshas. He's very knowledgeable and a loyal companion but a childhood sickness has left him physically weak and dependent on others to perform physically difficult tasks for him. He is trying to take steps to improve his station in life, which he will hopefully be able to extend to his father.

Marik is usually paired with a more physically skilled partner on his trips out of the city.

Not really sure what everyone else's character has as far as personality, so I don't know what to put down for my relationship with them, and I don't know enough about the world to have an idea what kinds of missions we've had.
Sep 27, 2015 7:31 am
I would suggest that Marik and Gythaar have teamed up several times before, with the crugar's wilderness expertise a strong counterpoint to Marik's frail body and mastery of isho. Gythaar had run some tauther missions with another muadra, Elvar, until one day Elvar (trying to get more marks on his challisk at any cost), attempted to convince Gythaar that they should frame some thivin (a flat-faced, horned alien) for the shirm-eh investigation they were conducting. Gythaar has avoided Elvar ever since, but he missed working with a muadra - their different abilities complemented each other well. So he sought out another caji he'd heard a lot about: Marik. Gythaar and Barragar may have known each other in their former military service.

For Miniri, she's known the gentle giant bronth, Varyck, for many years. Varyck introduced Miniri to Marik before they were tauther, and when Miniri started tothis, she sought out the muadra as a companion and a kindred spirit, as they both in their ways have studious natures: the crugar for records, history and other written information, and the muadra for the study of isho.
Sep 27, 2015 7:16 pm
I like these connections. For background, Miniri is a female Krugar Querrid. In short summary, she is quick to anger but forgives easily, she is always eager before the start of any undertaking, but is lazy and tires easily. She is inquisitive and curious, but naive and not really self-reliant.
Sep 29, 2015 8:14 am
http://orig02.deviantart.net/96db/f/2007/174/9/5/lion_man_by_indecom.png

Gythaar is older than your typical adventurer, a grizzled veteran, but certainly not over the hill. Maybe not the most talented bounty hunter out there but he's certainly got experience on his side. He's earned his stripes (no, he doesn't have tiger stripes! :-D ). When he was younger he was motivated by the thrill of the hunt but these days his primary motivator is the attainment of Drennship in the pursuit of a better life for his family. I'm thinking maybe he has grandchildren. He doesn't see the world in absolutes, and is pragmatic rather than idealistic. He is accepting of all races and cultures. He's even-tempered in his moods, and cynical in his general outlook on things. This cynicism hasn't diminished his natural curiosity for all things, however. He is particularly fascinated by ancient tech and tries to learn anything he can about them (call it a hobby of his).

Gythaar is cool and collected for the most part, but can sometimes take rash action. These reckless streaks are sometimes sparked by his long-time addiction to _______, a mild, legal stimulant.
Sep 30, 2015 12:00 am
There is whac, and incredibly habit-forming stimulant plant whose leaves are chewed, and ano, a kind of berry that, when ingested, provides mild euphoria and anesthesia. Aliens - particularly thriddle - smoke giggit, but the insect larvae are both repulsive and toxic to all PC races.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.