What does "sandbox" mean to you?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 22, 2015 3:04 pm
Hey! I was working with Friar_Tuk on character and backstory, and the following questions arose, which seem like great ones to discuss here in a public thread. So let's do that!

Is this "sandbox campaign" going to be a lot of group activity? Or more solo quests?
When I think of a sandbox, I imagine a very open-world setup, with tasks that will be impossible without combining forces and situations where it would be weird if you were all together. I think it's up to you which path you want to pursue, sticking with others or branching out on your own. It's definitely not a "don't-split-the-party" situation... you should follow your character's instincts. But I will say that there's some really good stuff buried deep in here that you won't be able to unlock without helping each other out.

So it's up to you! But I'll probably create some situations that force you to split up, as well as some that force you together, so that we have opportunities to explore all sides of this.

Will we be working as a team or as individual who may (or may not) cross paths?
I'll be starting you off in a situation where you'll be in the same location... it's up to you how you want to take things from there. You can expect to cross paths often, though, even if you're trying to do your own thing. It's a big city, but not that big... not with a DM involved, anyway.

Am I working with the others with/without my organization's approval?
That depends on your organization and what you're working on others with. At the outset, you'll be compelled by circumstances to make some swift decisions about alliances, and the consequences should ripple out from there.

Can you give us all an idea of what's going to go down in the actual campaign and how we will manage it all (separate threads? Private threads? All together on one? Split party vs. working together, PvP, etc.)
I was waiting to see all the characters before doing an intro, because some of the way these characters are being set up is evolving my thinking about how to write the opening adventure. That said, I imagine being all together on one thread to start, working together (PvP if you all choose, but not baked into the story to start), with other threads branching off, privately or publicly, as the situation evolves. It's not an us-vs-them setup, and you won't all need to find each other to get the story going. Things will kick off with a central event that should give some clarifying decisions early on.

I hope that's helpful! Not trying to be withholding at all, just still sorting out the final details of how this first adventure will take each character into account. Basically, you'll have something to solve at the outset as a kind of intro, and then things will open up a lot after that.

Let me know if you have more questions as a result of this post! Hopefully it will all run clearly and smoothly once we get started... but this is my first game run on PBP, so I'm SUPER open to tips, suggestions, and advice on how to make the game better for everyone.

Thanks!!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.