Character creation

load previous
Nov 23, 2023 1:36 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
WhiteDwarf says:
@spaceseeker19, ok if I change up my Background, from Soldier to Mercenary Veteran (SCAG)? <snip>
I’ve been reading up, and seems the Knights of Holy Shielding are more grounded east of us, Furyondy-Shield Lands, and they seem to wander off in between knightly campaigns and effectively wear the Mercenary hat as knight-errants, until the next shoe happens to drop. It’d help establish why Albertus picked our game area, of all places to come looking for work - he could’ve gone anywhere else, I guess, but he thinks his lost-love Evelyn is here, and that’s reason enough.

What do you think?
I think the mercenary background is fine, and I already am invested in the motivation of trying to find Evelyn.

But I'm not running this in a by-the-book Greyhawk, because when the module was released, there was only a 32-page booklet about the setting, and this group has already created more about this little slice of the world than is in that book (the boxed set wasn't released until the year after). So you are welcome to say that the Knights of the Holy Shielding that Albertus is part of is based in the Shield Lands at the far eastern end of Furyondy on the shores of the Nyr Dyv (and on the doorstep of Iuz), that they're led by the Knight Commander, and that Albertus has traveled the length and breadth of the Flanaess in his search, finally arriving in a little secluded corner of Keoland thousands of miles to the west. But you are also welcome to modify any of those details or create your own new ones. As long as it doesn't contradict what others have already established (see the "World Book" forum thread) - and I don't see how it would - I'm fine with what you come up with for Albertus.
Much obliged! I’ll go with what I just posted then, along with a bit about some other boys (Knights of the Hart) having a bit of a tiff with the Holy Shielders. That’s another nugget I read about, and just more thing that might cause some fun RP/trouble along the way. Imma write up a bit about that, flesh it out as best I can, then we can talk about it.
Hope everyone’s well today. Happy Thanksgiving (US), and to everyone else, Happy Thursday.
Last edited November 23, 2023 2:47 pm
Nov 23, 2023 2:04 pm
[ +- ] Sold!
Last edited November 23, 2023 2:04 pm
Nov 23, 2023 4:24 pm
OK, the last piece for the new characters (Albertus, Joseph, Kragga, Theran) is to consider who else in the party you already know. It could be that you met previously, it could be that you met as you were assigned to this Dungeon Busters location and you got to know each other on the road to Hochoch, or...I'm sure there are many ways. But I'd like it if there was some kind of connection to at least one other character in the group as we begin.
Nov 23, 2023 6:40 pm
New backstory for Kragga Moonweaver!

Among the ancient stones of a human temple devoted to Boccob, Kragga Moonweaver, a half-orc of singular lineage, found solace and purpose. Raised under the guidance of the human sages, his orcish strength and arcane aptitude intertwined like the roots of Obad-Hai's trees. A vow, etched in the sacred script of the temple, binds him to quest for long-lost relics of arcane power. His uncut hair bears silent testament to this solemn oath. A half-orc enigma, he emerges into the world, the fate of Boccob's artifacts interwoven with his own.

WhiteDwarf and I are working on a collaboration for our characters, and I invite others to make connections, too!
Last edited November 23, 2023 6:41 pm
Nov 23, 2023 6:56 pm
@WhiteDwarf As you say, Kragga and Albertus share similarities. Both are strong, hearty warriors imbued with magic - Albertus wields the divine, while Kragga wields the Arcane. While they have similar physical stats, Kragga has a higher intelligence while Albertus has a much higher charisma. Perhaps these differences draw them together? Kragga is not a people person, and could lean on Albertus's natural ability to make and lead allies. Whereas Kragga brings clever plans and studied knowledge to their partnership.

Perhaps the two shared a campfire sometime in the past, and fate drew them together onto some side quest - a village under threat of attack, that sort of thing?
Nov 23, 2023 7:05 pm
Len says:
@WhiteDwarf As you say, Kragga and Albertus share similarities. Both are strong, hearty warriors imbued with magic - Albertus wields the divine, while Kragga wields the Arcane. While they have similar physical stats, Kragga has a higher intelligence while Albertus has a much higher charisma. Perhaps these differences draw them together? Kragga is not a people person, and could lean on Albertus's natural ability to make and lead allies. Whereas Kragga brings clever plans and studied knowledge to their partnership.

Perhaps the two shared a campfire sometime in the past, and fate drew them together onto some side quest - a village under threat of attack, that sort of thing?
Absolutely, I like that their differences draw them together as much as their similarities.
Let’s say they helped save a village from an attack. Reading up on some Greyhawk lore, looking for some names, places and potential foes we might have faced together.
Nov 27, 2023 6:33 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
CancerMan says:
Quick re-link of Aanbo, since I repurposed the original character sheet a long time ago for a different game, then subsequently deleted.
Thank you. Some notes:
- Aanbo also has the handaxe and light hammer weapon proficiencies
- you might track how many herbalism kit uses remain on the sheet somewhere. Aanbo has used it once or maybe twice; I'll confirm.
- Aanbo has a staff; it should probably be listed in his inventory
- Aanbo became a hermit after parting ways with Foonbo. How far away and how long ago was that parting?
Thanks for the reminders. The handaxe and hammer proficiencies are covered under "simple weapons" so I did not call them out specifically. The quarterstaff and darts are in the weapon list, but it's good to keep track in the inventory section so I will add them there, too.

I've listed the herbalism kit's remaining uses at 7/10. I know I've tried to use it at least twice, and I'm pretty sure I failed both! I figure even if I didn't use it a third time, the dwindling supplies can reflect the wasted efforts of inexperience and just plain mistakes.

Regarding the backstory, I'll admit that I didn't really think too hard about the time frame between Aanbo's separation from his brother and current events. I don't have extensive knowledge of the Greyhawk realm nor her history, but referencing a map I can see that Clan Stonereaver (Moradinath Mor) is in the Barrier Peaks west of our current location of Hochoch, and it seems reasonable for Aanbo's monastery to be located somewhere nearby. Once Aanbo left the monastery, he'd have headed east to follow the roads, passing through Dersyth and seeking solace in the foothills.

For duration, I'd like to pick a nice round number and say one year has passed, which should give enough time for self-reflection and starvation to cause Aanbo to seek some other means of sustenance. He'd continue eastward until reaching Hochoch.
Dec 17, 2023 2:57 am
I have a request, not a requirement: it would be nice if everyone would put whatever backstory details they've chosen for their characters on their character sheets. I'm often looking for ways to incorporate your backstories into the narrative - things you notice, et cetera - and it would be a lot faster for me (and for you?) if it was on your character sheets.

Len

Dec 17, 2023 4:27 am
Good idea, done!

Dec 17, 2023 3:26 pm
I will work on getting that typed out.
Feb 22, 2024 5:09 pm
Aanbo is continuing as a monk with his second level, and will take the average HP increase. He gains ki points and ki features (flurry of blows, patient defense, step of the wind), and unarmored movement speed increase.

spaceseeker19, there are optional class features from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything for monks (and other classes); will they be allowed?
For the monk, at 2nd level they can use a Dedicated Weapon:
[ +- ] Dedicated Weapon
Feb 23, 2024 6:27 am
CancerMan says:
Aanbo is continuing as a monk with his second level, and will take the average HP increase. He gains ki points and ki features (flurry of blows, patient defense, step of the wind), and unarmored movement speed increase.
Just a reminder that Aanbo gets the HP immediately, but does not get the ki points or other features until he trains with Tuan Vo back in Hochoch (or some other monk trainer). The same goes for the others - Xana and Ogbar - who have enough XP to gain a level.
Feb 23, 2024 12:05 pm
I will take my average HP rather than risk it all on a roll :P

You do not have permission to post in this thread.