Character Creation

load previous
Oct 29, 2015 7:01 am
Ohica Karn was born into a family of dwarven wizards, who wove their spells into the metals as they worked the forges. Ohica was a bit of a simpleton, however, and could never master the spells - either the memorization or the hand-eye coordination. But she tried, doggedly hard, for years. Her attempts were never good enough for her family, and her family finally sent her away at her majority to the temple of Ulaa, life goddess of the mountains.

By far the oldest of the initiates, Ohica worked hard, setting an unforgivingly high standard for herself (unconsciously mimicking her family's attitudes) and her performance. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing perfectly, on the first time. Care and attention to detail must be taken in order to ensure this level of performance. Trait: perfectionist This was good, because everyone in the temple had to work to feed the people at the temple as well as the needy in the dwarven community. But she wasn't good at most tasks. She excelled at fighting, and was quite meticulous in her work ethic. But she just didn't have the manual dexterity for many tasks: she failed as an egg farmer (she kept killing the chickens when they'd peck her), as a fisher (she was too clumsy to catch the fish), as a cook (nothing rose in the oven), as a brewer (people still joke about her attempts at "brew"), and so on. Eventually, the temple set her up as a carpenter, and she failed at that, too: she couldn't do the fine carving needed for furniture. But a member of the Teamster's Guild saw her work and was impressed at her speed. So they requested that the temple loan her to the Guild, and she quickly found satisfaction in repairing and improving carts, chariots, wains, phaetons, and wagons. She has been successful in this, and has become the temple's representative in the Teamster's Guild. Ohica has managed to befriend some of the younger dwarves in the temple (and all of her peers are younger than her), and she cares for them as if they were siblings. Once, one of them, Hammo Lithio, was accused of theft and was due to have his hand chopped off unless someone could pay the fine and reimburse the owner of the stolen property. Ohica snuck into the Teamster's Guild and stole the necessary money and paid off the officials with no questions asked. This has led to a great conflict within her, because she recognizes that the Guild is responsible for much of her success, but she really needed the money. She's still torn up about how to make amends to the Guild.

But the time of initiation always comes to an end, and Ohica is no longer an Initiate. Now she is a Missionary, and has been sent forth to do good work in the world abroad. She's reluctantly abdicated her position in the Guild and has traveled to Greyhawk as all do who seek their fortunes.
Last edited October 29, 2015 7:02 am
Oct 29, 2015 8:11 am
Great story! I laughed out loud at the farhouse failures! :-P
Oct 29, 2015 8:18 am
All characters have been approved! Let's get this game on the road :)
Oct 29, 2015 8:25 am
Eithne submitted as well. I still have stuff to fill in but I guess I'm ready for intro RP.

Going old-school for HP so below are my rolls.

Are animal companions for druids not a thing anymore in 5e?
Last edited October 29, 2015 8:27 am

Rolls

level 2 hp - (1d8+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

level 3 hp - (1d8+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

level 4 hp - (1d8+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Oct 29, 2015 8:52 am
At least, not in the PHB. Just spellcasting druid or wild shape druid... and most people go the wild shape route, because it's more exiting (to them) than 'nature wizard'.

I don't know what got added with the upcoming/just came out book on Sword Coast.

I'm honestly happy with that. Animal companions are a pain in the butt.
Oct 29, 2015 9:18 am
Candi says:
Animal companions are a pain in the butt.
True, actually! :-) It just seems a bit contrary to at least some people's concept of a druid. They gave rangers animal companions (though I've heard the mechanics suck).
Oct 29, 2015 10:41 am
Yes they did (yes the kind of do), and it's still a pain in the butt (I had an Animal Companion ranger in my face to face game; she ultimately became disappointed in her animal companion and when we finished our adventure, rolled a new character for the next adventure. I think she would've preferred the UA ranger variant, or even any of the other archetypes).
Oct 29, 2015 12:51 pm
Unfortunately Druids got nothing in the new book, and neither did bards or rangers :(
Oct 29, 2015 5:17 pm
Beastmaster ranger is AWESOME with giant poisonous snake. But don't tell anyone...
Oct 30, 2015 8:41 pm
Final step: rolling HP for 2nd & 3rd level. 23 HP total; Passive perception is 12; Ohica is ready.

(edit: I was forgetting that dwarven toughness gives +1 HP/level, so total HP is actually 25.)
Last edited December 11, 2015 8:55 pm

Rolls

Hp for 2nd, 3rd level - (1d8+2, 1d8+2)

1d8+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

1d8+2 : (7) + 2 = 9

Oct 31, 2015 9:15 am
Sorry, I have next to no experience playing spellcasters so I just want to make sure I understand this edition's rules correctly:

1. Spellcasting does NOT provoke opportunity attacks from adjacent foes, but ranged attack spells are made at disadvantage. Is that right?

2. Based on the text of the War Caster feat, a caster who DOESN'T have the feat can't cast a spell with a somatic component while using a shield. Correct?
Quote:
War Caster
Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
You have practiced casting spells in the midst of combat, learning techniques that grant you the following benefits:
• You have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage.
• You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
• When a hostile creature’s movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature.
Thanks!
Last edited October 31, 2015 9:38 am
Oct 31, 2015 10:16 am
1. That is correct
2. Yes. Somatic components require you to have a free hand. This can be the same hand used to manipulate material components, but if you're holding a sword and shield you cannot cast a spell with somatic components (no free hand).
Oct 31, 2015 10:31 am
Candi says:
1. That is correct
2. Yes. Somatic components require you to have a free hand. This can be the same hand used to manipulate material components, but if you're holding a sword and shield you cannot cast a spell with somatic components (no free hand).
1. Is this still true in the case of a spell that doesn't involve a ranged spell attack roll (such as Poison Spray)?

2. Only 1 free hand? So a shield and no weapon is ok?
Oct 31, 2015 10:36 am
Yes.

And I was about to remind you as well about armor proficiency - because if you wear armor that you lack proficiency with, you have disadvantage on any ability check, saving throw, or attack roll that involves Strength or Dexterity, and you can’t cast spells (and shields count as armour); however, looking at Warcaster that is precisely why the feat is terrible. As the primary benefit only helps either 1) dual weapon wielding or 2) if you have shield proficiency (and most, all?, spellcasting classes do not), I think the feat is mostly useless as written.

So, I'm going to add "You gain proficiency with shields" to the warcaster feat.
Oct 31, 2015 10:51 am
Well, druids are proficient up to medium non-metal armor, and non-metal shields. A shield is also an option in the starting equipment package. Eithne won't have War Caster until 4th level though. But she'll probably spend more time shapeshifted than slinging spells in normal form anyways! :-D

What about my Poison Spray question though? :-)
Quote:
Quote:
1Spellcasting does NOT provoke opportunity attacks from adjacent foes, but ranged attack spells are made at disadvantage. Is that right?
Is this still true in the case of a spell that doesn't involve a ranged spell attack roll (such as Poison Spray)?
Thanks again!
Last edited October 31, 2015 10:54 am
Oct 31, 2015 10:59 am
Yes! That is why spells like Poison Spray are really useful to have. If you're engaged with an enemy, just use spells that don't require an attack roll! :)

Also, I thought you were taking it for your free feat for rolling stats down the line?
Oct 31, 2015 11:12 am
I took Observant for the stat bump. :-P Reconsidering that decision now though.
Last edited October 31, 2015 11:13 am
Oct 31, 2015 11:14 am
Aye!

Well, all you lot have finished your characters shall we get to the game? I can move us right to the dungeon entrance, or you can each have a post or two to introduce yourselves to the group and start building some camaraderie before you roll up to the dungeon entrance.
Oct 31, 2015 4:14 pm
PHB says:
Transforming doesn’t break your concentration on a spell you’ve already cast, however...
Let me get this straight: If I cast Barkskin on myself (Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour) and then Wild Shape, my beast form benefits from the increased Ac as long as I'm able to maintain concentration? How about Longstrider and Enhance Ability? OR does this cancel those buffs out once I Wild Shape:
PHB says:
Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all o f your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those o f the creature. If the creature has the same proficiency as you and the bonus in its stat block is higher than yours, use the creature’s bonus instead of yours. If the creature has any legendary or lair actions, you can't use them.
Oct 31, 2015 4:43 pm
I read the War Caster feat as being able to cast the somatic component, even if both hands are equipped.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.