Etiquette and Houserules

Oct 26, 2015 9:46 am
Etiquette and Guidelines... for keeping the game moving

1. If your post might require a roll, add a d20 roll to it (and include appropriate modifiers if you have a good guess at what the roll might be)

2. If you are going to be unable to post, let everyone know in the OOC thread AND include an expected return date (after which I will move the game on even if you haven't posted)

3. If you are going to be unable to post and the party is engaged in combat, indicate to the GM a default series of actions your character will take when their turn comes up.

Combat Initiative
Enemy Initiative will be the AVERAGE of all monster initiative rolls. Player Initiative will be the AVERAGE of all player rolls (typically I just roll this, to save time). Combat proceeds in Us vs Them fashion. During the Player Turn, players act in whatever order they post in. During the monster turn, all monsters will act at once.

House Rules and Judgement Calls
Short Rests
Minimum of 10 minutes. For each block of 10 minutes you may spend 1 hit die or recover 1 ability that may be recovered during a short rest.

Inspiration
To allow me to be more free with dishing out inspiration, there's no limit on how much Inspiration you can have. You can only spend 1 Inspiration point per round, however, so stock piling isn't strictly a good idea. I tend to be generous with Inspiration as long as players are generous with roleplaying. If your character acts in a way that is in line with their flaw/bond/ideal that hinders the parties objectives, you'll get inspiration (but be reasonable, I'm not trying to encourage constant stalling, I'm trying to encourage interestingly flawed roleplaying).

Shields as Weapons
1d4+Str bludgeoning damage, ignores swarm resistance to bludgeoning damage

Distract (Action)
Standard Action: Draw Attention - You harass the target in such a way that it is forced to focus its attention on you. The next attack made against it before the start of your next turn has Advantage.

Wizards and Spells
Each level after the first, a wizard may add 1 Spell to their Spell Book that is of a level that they can cast. This is in addition to the normal rules for adding spells to a wizard spell book.
Oct 26, 2015 10:18 am
Just edited this to add my inspiration rules (repeating here for those who already saw this post and may not notice the edit):

Inspiration
To allow me to be more free with dishing out inspiration, there's no limit on how much Inspiration you can have. You can only spend 1 Inspiration point per round, however, so stock piling isn't strictly a good idea. I tend to be generous with Inspiration as long as players are generous with roleplaying. If your character acts in a way that is in line with their flaw/bond/ideal that hinders the parties objectives, you'll get inspiration (but be reasonable, I'm not trying to encourage constant stalling, I'm trying to encourage interestingly flawed roleplaying).
Oct 26, 2015 11:52 am
^This is the houserule I've been waiting for! :-)
Oct 26, 2015 11:57 am
Too many times this has happened: "Badass RPing, have an Inspiration" and the player says "I already have Inspiration... I haven't needed to use it since last session so..." and then everyone is sad. I'm also working up some alternate uses of Inspiration besides gaining Advantage (Action Surge anyone? Spend 2 Inspiration for another Action!) Still sorting that out though, will post when official :)
Oct 26, 2015 12:34 pm
I might have to rethink my feat with those IN rules. I'm fine with the houserules, nothing drastic
Oct 26, 2015 12:45 pm
I had tossed around the idea of having player init being individual, and for the first round those who beat the monsters get a "mini player turn". So, if init went like this:

Player 1
Player 2
Monsters
Player 3
Player 4
Player 5

Then player 1 and 2 would get a "player turn" to themselves. Then the monsters would act. Then we proceed in Us v Them fashion (player turn). So players that beat the monster init roll get a 'preemptive' round to themselves. I'm still open to doing it that way, as it does make high init builds (like taking Alert) still viable (as those builds rely a little bit on the individual nature of init to get their shining moments).
Oct 26, 2015 1:19 pm
What about per-round IN, with the table for modifiers based on your size/action? (see DMG variants) Or is that too complicated? Posting IN every round with extra modifiers. It adds work though
Oct 26, 2015 1:29 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
What about per-round IN, with the table for modifiers based on your size/action? (see DMG variants) Or is that too complicated? Posting IN every round with extra modifiers. It adds work though
My initiative rules are all about streamlining for efficient PbF play, which means minimizing rolls. That would seriously slow the game down, I think.
Oct 26, 2015 10:03 pm
Just to let everyone know. I am unable to post here during the day while at work, so almost all of my posting will be after 5PM Eastern time.
Oct 29, 2015 10:42 am
Thats cool szemely - really, the '1 post a day' ideal is intended to get people to check in every day and try to post, even something small. The steadier the pace of a PbF game, the longer it survives (in my experience) :)
Oct 29, 2015 12:03 pm
While we're on the subject, just letting you know that I'm from a GMT+8 timezone but I'm up at all hours so it usually doesn't matter! :-P But if I'm not posting then it might mean I've actually decided to get some sleep! :-D

You do not have permission to post in this thread.