Character Creation

Nov 19, 2015 11:13 pm
Name says it all. Hit me up with your character ideas and we'll throw our thoughts back and forth.
Nov 20, 2015 7:46 am
Are we restricted to PHB options? No UA or EE or anything like that?

Point Buy, or rolled stats (4d6, drop the lowest, six times)?

Thanks!
Last edited November 20, 2015 7:51 am
Nov 20, 2015 10:18 am
PHB only as that's all I have access to right now. Point buy because I know what it's like to have characters in a game where they're repeatedly outclassed in most aspects by someone who just rolled better stats.
Nov 20, 2015 11:46 am
Not pushing for their inclusion (I'm totally cool with sticking with PHB) but just in case you want 'em for your own resources all Unearthed Arcana documents are available online.

Variant Rules
Modifying Classes
Waterborne Adventures
Eberron
Underdark
Variant Ranger
Psionics
Modern Magic
Elemental Evil Player's Companion

Oh, and let's not forget the Official PHB Errata!

Cheers!
Last edited November 20, 2015 1:32 pm
Nov 20, 2015 9:38 pm
I've never played a guy armed with a polearm so I plan to try that here. Creating a variant human fighter built around the Polearm Master feat. Shouls have the character sheet ready later today. Cheers!
Nov 20, 2015 10:47 pm
I'm thinking of a half-orc bard. I still need to decide how I want to make it, but I should have it together soon.
Nov 21, 2015 2:59 am
Exactly how long ago was the Legion of Thunder last active? The intro says "Those days are long gone" My guy isn't originally from Borma but was taken maybe initially as a slave-conscript POW but has since then joined the militia of his own free will. Choosing the Soldier background to reflect this. If the Legion's heyday is recent enough then maybe he was part of it back then.
Nov 21, 2015 3:21 am
Hey Kenny!
I'm planning to play a character just like one I've already played, though I think I'll probably end up editing him a bit as you make suggestions. He's a special race of human that mostly died out a long time ago, but he has grown up as an elf so he had a partial human ability score and elvish abilities, many of them reduced due to his non-elvish birth. His items, etc. are reduced, but he has a few that are from earlier campaigns. If they come into the campaign I'd love to keep them, but if not I'll use them as purely background stuff. If anyone has suggestions, please fire away!

Rolls

GP roll - (1d10)

(2) = 2

Nov 21, 2015 4:23 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Exactly how long ago was the Legion of Thunder last active?
The Legion was disbanded just over 100 years ago, when Borma began to decline from a militaristic powerhouse to a simple commerce city. So he's most likely not an old-school member, but it is possible if he's an elf or dwarf.
Nov 21, 2015 4:36 am
CouchLord, I don't know enough about 5e yet to accept your special race. I need you to make him a human, elf, or half-elf for the purpose of balence. I also don't feel comfortable letting you start with magic items without more experience under my belt. This game is my foray into learning the new system. So for the time being I'd like to do everything by the book. Also, we're running point buy on stats and you're 2 over the limit by the current math, granted all that will change with the race but just to let you know.
Nov 21, 2015 11:23 am
There are still a few gaps to fill (backstory, equipment) but here's what I've got. As I said I've never played a guy armed with a polearm so I created a variant human fighter built around the Polearm Master feat.

http://pre12.deviantart.net/9699/th/pre/f/2014/264/7/a/anubians_sickle_final_by_marko_djurdjevic-d7zzckz.png

Olwenyo, the Nubian

Normally I'd call the 15, 15, 15, 8, 8, 8 point buy array total cheese but with this guy's story it actually fits. Olwenyo means "born in war-time" - he was literally born into war and he has lived and breathed it all his life. He probably isn't originally from Borma, but was conscripted some years ago into its militia or even its regular army. And now he's volunteered for the Legion of Thunder.
Nov 21, 2015 1:37 pm
Aye-aye, Cap'n! This'll actually be a good experience for me - creating a character right out of the books! I'll get right on it!
Nov 21, 2015 3:13 pm
Rolling for GP here...

OK, so 160 gp
Last edited November 21, 2015 3:13 pm

Rolls

GP roll - (5d4)

(42343) = 16

Nov 21, 2015 3:49 pm
I took the standard starting packages (background & class) instead of rolling for GP and buying stuff. Is that ok? There are some superfluous items - I can sell these back at half price, and buy other stuff, yes?
Nov 21, 2015 4:05 pm
That all sounds good to me.
Nov 21, 2015 5:34 pm
Submitted Baruruk, Half-Orc Bard. I'm still working out the details but this is where I'm going with it right now: He comes from a military family, but broke tradition and became an Entertainer. When his brother dies in combat, he takes he brother's sword and sets out to train as a bard and get revenge.
Dec 1, 2015 3:13 am
Thanks for having me!

I see there's already a fighter and a bard. I think I will try to create a Warlock, unless TheTinyAsian is already doing something wizard-related, then I'll go Cleric.
Dec 1, 2015 3:55 pm
Quote:
Yrsa was apprenticed to a elven wizard, who once served in the original Legion of Thunder. She was among a number of students, each assigned their own specialty. Yrsa's responsibility was to conduct research in dusty libraries amidst moldy pages and worn tomes, searching for cryptic clues to further the arcane abilities of the wizard, and by proxy, the group. This was certainly boring work.

A pivotal moment in Yrsa's life came when she was ordered to travel to an archaeological dig of an ancient ruin, where she was granted permission to browse the ruined books scattered throughout. Many tomes had irreparable damage and could no longer be read. But in a cracked vault, behind the remains of a rotted bookshelf, Yrsa found what appeared to be a small journal encased in petrified wood, bound by similarly-hardened vines as wiry as spun steel. She marveled at the book's construction and how it had survived the centuries, and she opened the pages eagerly. Yrsa's heart skipped; the script was ancient and unfamiliar except for a slight semblance to elvish.

She could barely make out any of the words, but the pages were readable. Yrsa spent hours in that vault, poring over the book's contents and struggling to reference commonalities in the script. Eventually she began to discern a vague understanding that this journal was of the ancient fey, a tabulation of possible rites and ceremonies designed to appease the Lords and Ladies.

Something else, though, poked at Yrsa's mind as she read. It was as if this revelation of knowledge transcended the pages themselves and had tapped the nascent blood flowing within her veins. Yrsa began to see writhing, dancing silhouettes at the very edge of reality. She started to smell the base, musky scent of primordial woodland. She heard the heady sighs and hot breath of distant laughter like faint chimes on a spring breeze. Her cheeks flushed red as an ancient power rose within her body.

Yrsa returned to her Master, but something inside her chose to lie about her discovery. The book became special and personal to her; the more she read, the more she began to understand. Whenever she could, she would steal glances at the book. She'd transcribe the text into a readable form at first, then later she began to develop a better comprehension of the Old Sylvan such that her notes became questions and reminders of further study.

Her master seemed to notice her lack of attention to her work. When the call came to reform the Legion, Yrsa's master decided it would be the perfect opportunity for her to regain her focus, and he sent her to Borma as a new recruit. Yrsa was annoyed by this change of direction, but she dutifully packed her belongings and joined the ranks, the ancient journal tucked safely within the folds of her robes.

http://orig01.deviantart.net/4805/f/2012/074/4/b/the_last_ingredient_by_timmi_o_tool-d4stx19.jpg
Half-Elf Warlock, with The Archfey patron. The purpose of the book in this backstory is that (if I survive) I will choose the Pact of the Tome.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.