Character Creation Thread

load previous
Dec 3, 2015 5:44 pm
triat is still free for her connections.
She is Driven Glaive who Exist in Two places at once.
Dec 3, 2015 5:47 pm
What connections do you have?
Dec 3, 2015 5:54 pm
Quote:
How old is your character? Mine is around 16, thinking this may be able to tie in with my background.

Kveit's mother died in childbirth. The bony spines she has in place of arms and legs cause massive blood loss. Kveit's father wanted her killed as a monster, but someone saved Kveit and gave her into the care of an elderly woman in the local mutant "ghetto". Perhaps your character as a child heard she was going to be killed, and stole the infant from her crib. Seeing her deformities, he took her to the local mutants to be cared for.
I was imagining Carrick being about 18-20 as the Rite seems to be geared to those just entering adulthood, so I don't know if it'd work for him to be the one saving her, but I'd be fine him encountering her in his youth and becoming friends. Carrick has spent most of his time at sea, but would have spent the winters at shore, so it could be that he checks in on Kveit each year when he returns.
Dec 3, 2015 5:55 pm
Everyone needs to make a connection to someone else at character creation, usually so everyone is connected to everyone else somehow versus I'm connected to you and you're connected to me. Which is why I didn't suggest I be her connection to the rest of us since she's my connection to the rest of you, I can still be the connection for someone else if Njohn's PC doesn't like the idea with my PC or he picks someone else.
Dec 3, 2015 6:05 pm
njohn858 says:
I was imagining Carrick being about 18-20 as the Rite seems to be geared to those just entering adulthood, so I don't know if it'd work for him to be the one saving her, but I'd be fine him encountering her in his youth and becoming friends. Carrick has spent most of his time at sea, but would have spent the winters at shore, so it could be that he checks in on Kveit each year when he returns.
Works for me. A suggested background connection (reason we know eachother): there is a mutant in the ghetto who has the ability to make his limbs amorphous. This means he reach into tight spaces, which has made him very useful when repairing the fishing vessels. Instead of taking something apart, he can just jelly up his arms and reach through the machinery to the trouble areas. Kveit hangs out with this guy, because when she first got "infected" by the nanites, they would do crazy things and take on odd forms around her body. She spoke with this NPC (to be named) about controlling that.

Carrick is one of the few fisherfolk who treats this NPC kindly. Most of the others avoid him due to the local mutant prejudice, but Carrick always makes a point to stop and chat with this NPC. Thus, he and Kveit met. Carrick was one of the first "normal" children to ever treat Kveit like a person, so she has strong feelings toward him (perhaps a bit if a youthful crush?). Carrick was kind to Kveit at first because he knew her story, but has come to respect her tenacity, inquisitiveness, and open-mindedness.

Does all that work for you njohn858?
Dec 3, 2015 6:23 pm
Friar_Tuk says:
Does all that work for you njohn858?
That works for me. After Carrick gained his powers, Kveit was among the first he confided in about them, and she was able to help him adjust to being 'not normal'. She helped him explore his new-found abilities and be able to better control them.
Dec 3, 2015 6:42 pm
Naatkinson says:
Quote:
1. Pick one other PC. This character finds
your talent unnerving and unsettling. For her,
the difficulty of any task made to help your
duplicate is increased by one step.
2. Pick one other PC. This character seems
convinced that you are really a pair of identical
twins with no actual powers.
3. Pick one other PC with a companion. This
PC’s companion seems to have an unusual
relationship with your duplicate.
4. Pick one other PC. You used to move
in the same social circles and knew of each
other, but you had never been introduced.
I've described my character at start of the thread. the descriptor is Exists in Two places at once.
Dec 3, 2015 6:48 pm
BlackStork says:
Naatkinson says:
Quote:
1. Pick one other PC. This character finds
your talent unnerving and unsettling. For her,
the difficulty of any task made to help your
duplicate is increased by one step.
2. Pick one other PC. This character seems
convinced that you are really a pair of identical
twins with no actual powers.
4. Pick one other PC. You used to move
in the same social circles and knew of each
other, but you had never been introduced.
I've described my character at start of the thread. the descriptor is Exists in Two places at once.
I'll go with #1 - Triat's ability to duplicate herself really unnerves Carrick
Last edited December 3, 2015 6:49 pm
Dec 3, 2015 6:56 pm
Kveit's Official Background post:

Kveit was born to a "normal" man and woman. Farmers living outside of town. It was clear when she was born that she was not "normal". She was hairless, her brows, cheekbones and jawline were studded with spiky bone protuberances and her spine ended in a long, sinewy tail. But most importantly, she was born without lower arms or legs. Her skin ended at the elbows and knees, but her bones did not. They became spiky, jagged spurs with sharp tips and edges.

These bony spines proved to be her mother's greatest bane; she died in child birth due to extreme blood loss. Kveit's father wanted to kill the "newborn monster", but the midwives forbade it, and took Kveit to the small mutant district in the village and gave her into the care of Mama Zifnaby, an eternally elderly mutant woman known to take in mutant children of "normal" parents.

Kveit grew up smart and inquisitive. Her bony arms and legs proved to be quite good for moving about on all fours, so she was mobile early in life. This mobility, combined with a natural inquisitiveness, got her into trouble many, many times. When she was old enough to understand the horrified looks and the cruel comments of the townsfolk, she took to roaming the hills and coastlines at the outskirts of the farms. She avoided crowds of people for the most part. Occasionally, she felt like she could hear their thought, and would become overwhelmed by it. She especially avoided her father's farm. Rumor had it that he had taken to drinking heavily, and had vowed drunkenly to kill his "murderous demon daughter" if he ever got the chance.

One day, as Kveit was exploring a cave she found in the local hills, she stumbled across an odd shaped metal ball. This ball was faceted, like a gemstone, and glowed with a soft, purplish light. Kveit poked at it with a bony arm, then scratched at a nodule on one of the facets. When she did this, the ball burst open and a roiling cloud/puddle of purplish gray enveloped her, pouring into her nose, mouth, ears, and nether orifices; Kveit passed out from the pain and shock. when she awoke, she was still lying in the cave, with the faceted metal ball (no longer a ball, now each facet stood out from a hollow internal superstructure) nearby. She reached for the ball with a claw, and long amorphous tendril of something metallic slithered out from her upper arm. After the initial shock wore off, she found she could control this tendril. She willed it to withdraw and, after some moments, it did so.

She wrapped her tail around the "ball" and made straight for home. She explained to Mama about the ball, and asked what she should do. Mama smiled, told her she was blessed by the ancient ones, and that she must learn to control that blessing.

Kveit has spent the intervening years learning to control her new nanite parts and learning to fight and hunt. She still avoids the town proper, and especially the farmlands around her father's farm. She occasionally makes a few shins by translating for the rare trading caravans that come through the area. Her Polyglot ability allows her to understand and communicate with those from other lands. She loves hearing about these far flung places.

She is young, only 16, but has decided to put herself forward to be chose by the Seer anyway. She has come to believe that she is meant for something bigger than this furtive life as a village outcast. She longs to see the wider world and discover new places and people. She hope to find a place where people will accept her, as have her few friends here in town. Though young, her hard and independent life have matured her beyond her years.

NPCs:

Mama Zifnaby: Often just called Mama. Zifnaby is an ancient crone living in the mutant ghetto enclave of the village. She is so old that nobody in living memory can recall her as being anything but an old woman. The oldest local gaffers, if you get a few drinks into them, will tell you that she was old, wrinkled and crooked when they were but children. Zifnaby makes her living as a fortune teller. Her predictions are eerily insightful and often come true. She has a reputation for taking in mutant children born of non-mutant parents.

Epee Gurosoa: Kveit's father. He is a local farmer, once a respected member of the community. That all changed when his wife died in child birth. After that, he took up drinking heavily, and his fields went to weeds. He has traded off most of his former farm holdings, only keeping a couple sallow fields where he grows a meager crop suitable to keep him alive, fed, and in drink. He rarely talks to anyone and is almost never seen off his land. On the few occasions he has made his way into town (usually after brokering some deal, with shins jangling in his pockets) he has made a scene at the local tavern. Once he gets drunk enough, he inevitable begins raving about his "demonic daughter" and how she needs to be put to death for "killing his wife". There was an ugly scene once where he tried to go into the Mama Zifnaby's hovel and do the deed himself. But he was turned back somehow by Mama herself, without ever entering the place.

Koser: Koser is a local mutant who enjoys an almost normal relationship with the community. He looks like a normal human, but has the ability to "melt" his arms into amorphous forms. This, combined with a natural aptitude for mechanics, has garnered him a place on the maintenance crew for the fishing vessels. The other mechanics treat him with respect, but the fisher folk generally mistrust and avoid him. His status in the community and his "wealth" (relative to the other mutants) has made him sort of spokesman for the local mutant community. He is sometimes invited to village council meetings as a representative for "his people". Not often though...
Last edited December 3, 2015 7:03 pm
Dec 3, 2015 7:00 pm
BlackStork says:
Quote:
Can I do this one, but with a slight change? Kveit doesn't have a companion, but I'm thinking maybe she has gotten confused at some point, and thinks your duplicate is actually the original. So she always addresses the "second you" instead of you. Everyone ok with that?
Dec 3, 2015 7:08 pm
I am ok with 2 connections. I think 2 is enough. So deal, i'll add them to Triat's CC. :)
Dec 3, 2015 7:34 pm
Ok, I like what I'm seeing here. 2 connections is great, but if you all want to keep going and create connections among all the PCs. I am once again at work for the night, but tomorrow I'm off so I can review this stuff and fill in more details.
Dec 3, 2015 7:37 pm
I'd love to have some sort of connection to all the other PCs

Have no current connection to
Triat
Pha
Carrick
Last edited December 3, 2015 7:41 pm
Dec 3, 2015 7:57 pm
Didn't realize I never posted this!

APPEARANCE
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 200 lbs
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Green
Skin: Tan

Glaive Connection: You trained with a highly respected mentor. He has many enemies

BACKSTORY
Galen was born in Uncegilla Cove shortly after his single, pregnant mother arrived, apparently on the run from her brutal husband. She died from a sickness shortly after childbirth and Galen never met her. He was adopted by Irving Winters, a retired blademaster and apparent friend of Galen's mother, Ilyana Teth.

He has been raised with the blade and Irving's no-nonsense tendencies and though he emulates them to some degree he is a bit more lax and is known to lower his guard every so often. Upon completion of his formal training Galen received a greatsword called Reaver from Irving as a gift. Besides Reaver he has one other possession that he cares for, a plain gold ring that his mother wore before her death which he keeps on a chain around his neck.

He is always willing to work hard and never gives up, traits passed to him by his master. He doesn't judge others on anything besides their actions, feeling that it's foolish to discriminate based on unchangeable inherited traits.

CONNECTIONS
1. Kveit has been showing great promise in training with the blade despite her potential handicaps
2. While out for training one day Kveit's nanites disassembled and freaked out when a strange storm passed overhead.
Last edited December 3, 2015 8:01 pm
Dec 3, 2015 8:05 pm
Normally 1 foci connection is norm and limit in core Numenera rules. 2 is cool but more is overkill and create too much complications.

Then also comes type/class connection which is not strict and completely character background dependant (story connection)

PS. Nice format. I will adopt it to post about Triat

PSS . I am really happy to play active Numenera game as player. GP needs more Numenera activity, because system rocks.
Last edited December 3, 2015 8:10 pm
Dec 3, 2015 8:15 pm
BlackStork says:
PSS . I am really happy to play active Numenera game as player. GP needs more Numenera activity, because system rocks.
Agreed! I'm excited too! I have read through a lot of the rules, as well as a lot from the Cypher System Rulebook, but I've been having a hard time wrapping my mind around it all.

Once I feel like I have my feet under me, I plan on running a homebrew Cypher System campaign. The theme will be combination of Noir/Horror and Steampunk. I'll post about it here when the time comes so y'all can get first crack at it.
Dec 3, 2015 8:44 pm
Triat, Driven Glaive, who Exist in Two Places at Once.

APPEARANCE
Height: 210cm
Weight: 75kg
Hair: Red ginger
Eyes: Dark Olive

Very muscular, hulking ginger-hair lady, with very driven and determined behaviour. She emits determination, and values power, prowess, and is daughter to old Cove's Chief of Guard. She is ambitious, self-centered, and often blunt. She wears only light skin armours, and from very young age she been trained to be very tolerant to weather conditions and physical hardships.

BACKSTORY
Triat is young determined lady. She is abnormally big - 2.1m tall, and while she is well fit - simply he is just really tall and she is muscular and well trained physically by her old father - elder Triun was chief of Cove's guard for many years. For many years he had dream about boy, but his wife had health problems and was not very reproductive. Triat was only child, which has grown in enviroment of father's ambition to have strong hero-like sibling, who will be person to admire, to follow and respect for anyone in the Cove. She is very ambitious, competetive girl - as her father, and she have something that frightens others even more - her ability to duplicate herself. People talk that she started to duplicate herself after one harsh winter group of numenera trades arrived from the South. People tell her father bought some very expencive numenera from one of the traders, investing almost all savings Triun family had. For few months small girl had odd behaviour, and then everyone noticed that she plays and manipulates own copy which made of nanites.
She uses old huge fishing hook as heavy two-handed weapon, while her copy holds the lighter version.
Despite being young girl everyone in the village know - she was grown as fighting machine by her old, respected in the cove father.

Triat played with her duplicate from childhood. She knows that the duplicate have nano nature , but he threats it like herself - with care, pride, but she see her as her own extension. Something that is part of her, like normal people threat own hands or legs - but for her another copy of her exist, bound to her will. Yes, she have a name - Tairt (Name of Triat backwards)

She is quite ambitious, self-loving and sometimes over-confident. Her drive is her boon and bane, as she listens less, and act more following her inner drive. Her determination provided with her ambition and ambition of her father. She was educated, grown to be first. The best. Powerful, mighty, respected and fearsome. She is fond of her advantages over weaker youth of the cove, and when she was younger she had problems with anger management, which dissolved when she became older and got proper, sometimes harsh lessons from her father.

CONNECTIONS
1. Kveit is confused by Triat's ability to duplicate herself, and she often addresses Tairt (Triat duplicate) and thinks that she is the real one.
2. Carrick finds Triat's talent unnerving and unsettling. For him, the difficulty of any task made to help your duplicate is increased by one step.

PS. @Friar_Tuk
I've built complex and huge Numenera-based homebrew setting and i am running game here, on GP. Players say that it one of most complex and content rich systems. Perhaps i will do some systematization and even some site for it once i will polish it and will run the full game of it which for now is set being open-ended. It's still running and it's open for public views, called Octagon - you can check and read it - i am fond of story based approach promoted by Numenera creator. I really like flexebility and approach of the system, and it's lightness. It's like JavaScript of the tabletop RPG games.
Last edited December 3, 2015 9:01 pm
Dec 4, 2015 8:18 am
I have question: Driven skill seem to be different from Flex skill, because Flex is limited to any non-defence skill, while Driven do not have such description/limitation. So the question is if I can to pick Defence skill for Triat.

Triat drive comes from ambition and how her father educated her - to be responsive hero-like person, and she thrives to be the best in any things she do, and what she knows to do is mainly things related to physicall prowess, survival and might and combat. So Drive skill should be something combat/prowess related. As it could be switched we could assign few skills that could be selected each day - one - from this list:
For example:
Defence (Speed)
Defence (Might)
Intimidate

@foolsmask What do you think?
Dec 4, 2015 4:33 pm
I'll make more progress with my character today/tomorrow -- which will just add another connection to the mix. :)
Dec 5, 2015 5:07 am
BlackStork says:
I have question: Driven skill seem to be different from Flex skill, because Flex is limited to any non-defence skill, while Driven do not have such description/limitation. So the question is if I can to pick Defence skill for Triat.

Triat drive comes from ambition and how her father educated her - to be responsive hero-like person, and she thrives to be the best in any things she do, and what she knows to do is mainly things related to physicall prowess, survival and might and combat. So Drive skill should be something combat/prowess related. As it could be switched we could assign few skills that could be selected each day - one - from this list:
For example:
Defence (Speed)
Defence (Might)
Intimidate

@foolsmask What do you think?
I see where you are coming from on this BlackStork, but the answer is no. I don't think that the Driven Descriptor is anymore combat focused than any other Descriptor. In fact, looking back at the Descriptors, I don't think the designers intended any of the Descriptors to be combat focused. Driven can be applied to non-physical activities. You could be driven to translate an ancient text you believe holds valuable information. You could be driven to prove yourself the greatest chess player in the world. Both of these goals are more cerebral pursuits. However, one day Climbing could be a relevant skill to either of those pursuits because you find yourself at the bottom of a cliff and the next town you need to get to is up.

Finally, I find myself looking at page 25 of the core book in the section on Skills. It says:
Core Book says:
Only skills gained through character type abilities, such as the glaive's fighting moves focus abilities, or other rare instances allow you to become skilled with attack or defense tasks.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.