Character Creation Thread

Nov 29, 2015 8:27 am
This is the area where we will hash out who we the PCs are. The First Mission you will be having is the Rite of Ascension. The Seer has chosen your character and you should be invested in completing the Rite, though not completely, just mostly. I want all the PCs to be friendly, if nothing else.
Nov 29, 2015 8:40 pm
I've submitted character to the game. I still need to add her bio and story. I have it ready but i need to write it - and will do it soon.

Triat is young determined lady. She is abnormally big - 2.1m tall, and while she is well fit - simply he is just really tall and she is muscular and well trained physically by her old father - elder Triun was one of commanders of local militia for many years. For many years he had dream about boy, but his wife had health problems and was not very reproductive. Triat was only child, which was grown in enviroment of father's ambition to have strong hero sibling, which will be person to follow and respect for anyone in the Cove. She is very ambitious, competetive girl - as her father, and she have something that frightens others even more - her ability to duplicate herself. People talk that she started to duplicate herself after one harsh winter group of numenera trades arrived from the South. People tell her father bought some very expencive numenera from one of the traders, investing almost all savings Triun family had. For few months small girl had odd behaviour, and then everyone noticed that she plays and manipulates own copy which made of nanites.
She uses old huge fishing hook as heavy two-handed weapon, while her copy holds the lighter version.
Despite being young girl everyone in the village know - she was grown as fighting machine by her old, respected in the cove father.

Hulking 19 might lady which holds heavy 2h weapon , wears only light armour and can create copy of herself.

I made adjustemnts into the inventory. According to character build i have option for clothes and one medium armour and 5 shins. I pick 2 sets of light armour instead of that, pls tell if it ok. I will polish Triat story and will post it here later.
Last edited November 29, 2015 8:45 pm
Nov 29, 2015 9:55 pm
I've read a good portion of the CRB once -- but that's it, so I'll be starting from scratch knowledge wise. I have a bunch of meetings out of state this week, so I'll be taking the CRB with me to read/reference while I'm on the road and building the character.
Last edited November 29, 2015 9:55 pm
Nov 29, 2015 10:07 pm
I approved Triat. I am fine with the idea of your choice to trade in the medium armor and clothes for two sets of light armor so that you have something for your duplicate to wear.

There are a few details I'd like to go over in your backstory, just get a few more details. First, lets discuss the militia. There is not much of an organised threat to Uncegilla Cove, so there is not much need for a standing armed force. Occasionally a tribe of abhumans might pose a threat. In these times everyone has to do their part, but these are few and far between...10 or more years apart. However, if we could make the militia serve as the peacekeepers for the area, then there would be a need for someone to hold the job. Is it OK to consider Triun to be a respected leader of this peacekeeping force that is the first to respond to trouble, whether it be foreign or domestic? Basically they would be the town guard.

Next, just to have an idea of the weapon you are using, are you using the blunt haft or the sharp hook as the weapon? Just to have an idea as to whether you are skewering your enemies or bashing them over the head most of the time.

Finally, how does Triat feel about her duplicate? Do she/it have a different name? are they friendly or is the duplicate just an extension of Triat, like a literal second pair of hands?
Nov 29, 2015 10:26 pm
1. Triun and guards - whatever guard entity existing in the setting is fine by me. Perhaps, yes, guards, or even retired ship convoy captain. Something with military/combat background. As he really had vision of powerful hero sibling, when the attempts to make boy failed and his daughter appeared to match his visions, he bought powerful numenera to extend the family and her capabilities. to ensure she will have advantage and will have copy of herself.

2. Weapon is old fishing hook used for huge, even enormous fish, attached to heavy and thick pole. Probably it is not fishing hook even - but hook which was used for some other task on ships many years ago. It was improved and modified by Triun himself, and she also cares about it and tries to improve by melting and fusing more metal layes on its hook's curve to improve it's durability and weight . It is basically huge smashing hook with much more weight addition which could be used as maul but also can grapple (+1 diff to perform, no damage/less damage, grapple(disabled action for grappled foe and Triat)?)

3. Triat played with her duplicate from childhood. She knows that the duplicate have nano nature , but he threats it like herself - with care, pride, but she see her as her own extension. Something that is part of her, like normal people threat own hands or legs - but for her another copy of her exist, bound to her will. Yes, she have a name - Tairt (Name of Triat backwards)

4. More details - she is quite ambitious, self-loving and sometimes over-confident. Her drive is her boon and bane, as she listens less, and act more following her inner drive. Her determination provided with her ambition and ambition of her father. She was educated, grown to be first. The best. Powerful, mighty, respected and fearsome. She is fond of her advantages over weaker youth of the cove, and when she was younger she had problems with anger management, which dissolved when she became older and got proper, sometimes harsh lessons from her father.
Last edited November 29, 2015 10:42 pm
Nov 29, 2015 10:46 pm
1. Great...seems we are on the same page. Triun rose through the ranks as a defender of the Cove and it's people. He wanted to create a legacy but fate apparently had other plans.

2. Sounds good for the weapon. Lets say it can decrease the difficulty by 1 for Grapple and Trip attacks that don't deal weapon damage?

3. So outsiders should treat Tairt as a part of Triat, but Triat has a more normal relationship?

4. Good personality notes. I can work with that and as other players develop their characters hopefully they can too.
Nov 29, 2015 11:29 pm
Quote:
So outsiders should treat Tairt as a part of Triat, but Triat has a more normal relationship?
Actually opposite.
Others threat Tairt as another Triat.
She herself sees her copy as manifestation of own power, as extension of her will.

For weapons - yea, sounds good ! So grapple which doesn ot deal damage byt makes target and Triat action impossible till she releases the victim of her grapple.

PS i still need to complete her character sheet (it is uncomplete) + i could get cyphers/oddities if applicable in the setting
PPS Added Bash and Surging Confidence combat moves.
Last edited November 29, 2015 11:40 pm
Nov 30, 2015 2:01 am
Oh...Sure now I get it.

For the weapon..yes exactly. Arms will be "locked up" and actions needing them will be impossible for Triat (or Tairt) and probably impossible for humanoids of comparable size. Tripping will also impose reduced difficulties in hitting or avoiding attacks, or making enemies waste their actions getting back to their feet.

I will roll cyphers now and give your oddity...I made a list of potentially useful oddities.

Oddity - A synth mat that is warm at night and cool in the day. Useful for staying comfortable in all but extreme temperatures.

Density Nodule (lv5): For the next 28 hours, each time the weapon the nodule is attached to strikes a solid creature or object, the weapon suddenly increases dramatically in weight, causing the blow to inflict an additional 2 points of
damage.

Skill Boost (lv 5): Intellect Defense - Dramatically but temporarily alters the user’s mind. The difficulty of an Intellect Defense is decreased by three(3) steps. Once activated, this boost can be used a number of times equal to the cypher’s level(5), but only within a 28-hour period.

Rolls

Cypher roll - (1d100, 1d100)

1d100 : (78) = 78

1d100 : (12) = 12

Density Nodule level - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Skill Boost Nodule - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Skill boost skill - (1d100)

(56) = 56

Nov 30, 2015 8:44 pm
Basically I'm playing a brawler type that's seen a bit of reform and is more of a Monk. I'm going with a Tough Nano who Needs No Weapon for system crunch, Background is in the notes if you want more let me know.

Since Triat is the only character so far for the tie in to someone else they seem to think the only true weapons are those you hold in your hands (which makes sense for your character) and may look at you in disdain (or at least as 'weird' or 'dat boy ain't right in the head').

For these I still need to figure out:
A book about the Numenera (do I get to name this one?)
Three cyphers (chosen for you by the GM)
One oddity (chosen for you by the GM)

On a side note a lot of people signed up now! XD
Nov 30, 2015 8:53 pm
Fine by me about connection - makes alot of sense.

Also i need to find person to establish Triat connection (i picked simplier one): You used to move in the same social circles and knew of each other, but you had never been introduced.

Tell me if anyone up for this.
Nov 30, 2015 9:08 pm
I would saw Pha might meet the description (you on the side of the peacekeepers breaking up rabble rousers, Pha on the side on someone causing a disturbance or 'resolving' it during a rabble rousing.) but I guess hold off maybe to see who all everyone creates, it's a small village kind of.
Nov 30, 2015 9:53 pm
@Remnant: Over all I am happy with Pha. I like the "Punk gone Monk" idea and the interplay between him and the chief of police's daughter has some good potential there. Looking at your notes on Pha's background, I see one or two things I'd like to clarify.

First, I want all PCs to be from Uncegilla Cove. In your bio right now it indicates Pha was from somewhere else then moved to Uncegilla. This needs to be changed up a bit. There is definitely an orphanage of some kind in the village, many people are lost at sea or to disease or accident, so that's fine. So that part just moves into the town proper and is fine. It's is known Pha is responsible for the death of an adult (we should work out who that was and his son'so identity) and then he was cast out. Your mentor idea is fine. Are you picturing someone who lives a hermit lifestyle in the woods near Uncegilla? What do they do to make a living? Or survive? Are they a sage or a forest guide? Maybe a hunter who brings in pelts and meat to trade? I'm thinking they're ok Pha on out of pity for being an outcast and they took him in. Or maybe the mentor still lives in town but on the edges to keep the heat off Pha.

As for the book, if I remember the way it works you get to claim it as an asset when dealing with Numenera during play. So, yeah you can choose a title, but keep it vague enough that you don't back yourself into a corner.

I am away from my books until mush later tonight. I will get your Cyphers and oddities later tonight.
Nov 30, 2015 10:11 pm
Pha being from someplace else and the orphanage would be about 11-13 years ago (I figure you wanted us around 19 or 18 maybe for the start). I'm fine with being from Uncegilla the whole time if that's what the story needs to be based off so he was born in the area. I can rework it but Mohsen being a hermit on the outskirts of town and being a reality check daily that humbles Pha (still) to a school of hard knocks I think will probably something I'd like to still steer towards. So let me know if I need to be born and I'll rework it a little after I get home tonight.
Nov 30, 2015 10:23 pm
Age can be anywhere from 16-19. I do need Pha to be from Uncegilla. And Moshen, your mentor, took you in after the fire, seeing that you were not beyond redemption and have some potential
Nov 30, 2015 10:31 pm
Hello everyone, I'll be posting up a concept later tonight or tomorrow. I need to scan over the existing concepts and the setting thread to get up to speed.

For mechanical purposes, would everyone mind either updating their description post or making a new post giving their Numenera character "sentence"? You know, the whole, "Clever Jack who Talks to Machines" or whatever. That would help guide me as to my own character's role in the party. Currently, I just want to make everything, because this is my first time through character creation and it all sounds so freakin' cool!
Nov 30, 2015 10:38 pm
I've got you covered Friar_Tuck. So far we have:

Pha, Tough Nano who Needs No Weapons
Triat, Driven Glaive who Exists in Two Places at Once
Nov 30, 2015 11:13 pm
I currently have Strong Glaive who Masters Weaponry
Still working out the details besides that :)
Dec 1, 2015 5:51 am
I'm a Newbie who Is Reading The CRB Character Creation Rules. More from me in a day or two.
Dec 1, 2015 5:52 am
Posting of Pha's Stuff

Oddity: A ring that tightens painfully when in the presence of environmental hazards.
Cyphers:

Disrupting nodule lvl 2
Usable: Crystal nodule affixed to a melee weapon
Effect: For the next 28 hours, each time the weapon the nodule is attached to strikes a solid creature or object, it generates a burst of nanites that directly attack organic cells. The affected target takes 1 additional point of damage and loses his next action.

Magnetic shield lvl 3
Usable: Small pyramid-shaped metallic device
Effect: For ten minutes, metal objects cannot come within immediate range of the activated device. Metal items already in the area when the device is activated are slowly pushed out.

Retaliation nodule lvl 6
Usable: Crystal nodule affixed to armor or clothing
Effect: For the next 28 hours, anyone striking the armor(or clothing) the nodule is attached to triggers a small burst of electricity that inflicts 1 point of damage (no action or roll required).

Rolls

Cypher rolls - (1d100, 1d100, 1d100)

1d100 : (74) = 74

1d100 : (24) = 24

1d100 : (52) = 52

Cypher Levels - (1d6, 1d6+2, 1d6)

1d6 : (2) = 2

1d6+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

1d6 : (6) = 6

Dec 1, 2015 1:24 pm
I think I'm done with my sheet now have all the info from you, the boy's name and my two NPCs in the Notes section.

Also for those making characters this might help:
Character creation
Last edited December 1, 2015 6:33 pm
Dec 1, 2015 6:50 pm
@Remnant: The revisions look good. Like I will with everyone, I've got a few questions:

1.) Does Pha know what happened to his parents and/or how he became an orphan? They don't have to be dead of course, but in a small area like Uncegilla Cove it is much more difficult to abandon a baby, but there could be reasons. If you haven't decided I can use it I think.

2.) How has Pha's relationship with Chaig developed over the years? The two still have to run into each other on occasion. Does Chaig try to kill Pha every time he sees him or has Pha scarred him, leaving him a spineless mess? Do they talk? Would they consider each other rivals or true enemies?

3.) How does Pha feel about Amburn? Does he know she might have an interest in him? Does he have feelings for her? Good or bad?
Dec 1, 2015 7:11 pm
I'm interested in playing a Mutant Jack who Fuses Flesh with Steel. The loose concept involves this character being born with mutations, some which caused severe physical handicaps (harmful mutations; in my mind this character is also missing limbs and/or has a cleft jaw, etc. in addition to the actual table-rolled mutation) and some which gave her powers to survive (beneficial mutations). She was either a child of mutants living in the small enclave they have in this community, or was given over to the care of same by her "normal" parents. Somehow, while exploring the coasts or the hills around the area, she stumbled across an artifact that infected her body with nanites. She eventually learned to control these nanites, even to a point where she has shaped body parts to remove her "handicaps" out of them.

A couple questions for you foolsmask:

1. Mutation table rolls: When the time comes, should I post rolls myself, or would you prefer to roll?

2. NPC relationships: Is this a required part of character creation? Do I need to come up with a few?

Once I get the character more mechanically fleshed out, I will build out their background and post here for PC relationships.
Dec 1, 2015 7:14 pm
@ Foolsmask
1) Pha never really thought about who his parents were or how he came to be at the orphanage so if it's a good plot train device use it (Red Goes Faster)

2) With the rewrite Chaig ended up leaving with the Orphanage Caretaker and orphans. If he's come back and starts something Pha will try and handle things with his 'words' if that doesn't work he warns people if it comes to force he's going to fight dirty and win quickly... So I'll leave it up in the air if he makes a comeback or not, if he learned from the incident or not, or if he even knows who started the fire or not (Accident from his father knocking things over).

3) She pays him to do work, he does the work. She's okay. He's clueless about such things and doesn't pick up on clues so in true anime fashion when Mohsen teases him about it he gets all huffy (No point in starting a fight he can't win... bouts are currently at 500+ loses, no wins, no ties). He's indifferent to her but I guess he wouldn't want something bad to happen to her... he likes working for her.

@ Friar_Tuk
It's not part of the normal character creation but I figure the two NPCs were a tie in for us (PCs) into the setting and why we in town still (this area the village is in isn't a place for the faint of heart).
Last edited December 1, 2015 7:21 pm
Dec 1, 2015 7:31 pm
@Friar_Tuk I like it. I was going to object to the harmful mutation but using Fused with Machines to "fix them" is fine.
1.) I'm fine with you rolling your mutations, just follow the guidelines in the book. If they don't work for you or I see a problem we will discuss it, but there are only one or two things I saw as potential problems, so it likely won't come up.

2.) Yes I need 2 NPCs from you. Without giving away the plot, I'm looking for story books to drive your character to participate in the adventure. I want more motivation than "going because that's the story" this can literally be Anybody that you think could live in the village as I've described it so far and that makes sense based on what you've read about the general Numenera setting. No Kings or dragons secretly living in the tiny village, but just about anything else you might think of.
Dec 1, 2015 7:45 pm
I am going to do my mutation rolls first to get things going. These will help me flavor up my character and guide my other choices.

Note: The wording on how to roll for mutations is a bit vague and confusing. If I have interpreted it wrong, just let me know and we can rework these rolls.

Harmful mutation: Debilitating Telepathy. You are sometimes (usually once a day) afflicted with random bouts of cacophonous telepathy when thinking beings are within immediate range. You never gain valuable information, but for ten minutes, the overwhelming din in your head increases the difficulty of all tasks by one step.

Beneficial Mutation 1: Suggestive Voice: Your voice is so perfectly modulated that it is an asset in all interaction tasks.

Beneficial Mutation 2: Polyglot: When you hear a language spoken for at least one minute, you can communicate in that language as a native speaker for 28 hours.

Beneficial Mutation 3: *See Distinctive Mutation 2* Thick Hide: You gain +1 to Armor.

Distinctive Mutation 1: Snake Tail: You have a prehensile tail that is 6 feet long. It is an asset for all tasks involving grappling or wrestling. The tail can grasp large objects. Also roll on the beneficial mutations table. Enabler.

Distinctive Mutation 2: Spurs: You have large bony spurs on your elbows and knees that you can use as light weapons that inflict 1 additional point of damage. enabler.
Last edited December 1, 2015 8:20 pm

Rolls

harmful mutation - (1d100)

(77) = 77

beneficial mutation 1 - (1d100)

(30) = 30

beneficial mutation 2 - (1d100)

(81) = 81

distinctive mutation 1 - (1d100)

(16) = 16

distinctive mutation 2 - (1d100)

(63) = 63

Beneficial Mutation 1 (Core Table) - (1d100)

(47) = 47

Distinctive Mutation 1 (Core Table) - (1d100)

(77) = 77

Beneficial Mutation 3 - (1d100)

(30) = 30

Dec 1, 2015 8:07 pm
Widow Fesessa - elder lonely woman which lives lonely life at edge of the cove. She never had children and her husband died many years ago. She is very reclusive type and not too social. She walks around at evenings. She have some telekinetic powers but normally do not show them.

Druvin Meleks - middle-aged numenera technician. He is famous person in the cove because have wide and deep knowledge and understanding of all things numenera - technical, esoteric and else. He is very respected person. He is calm focused person, which is normally busy, and is quite beneficial too. It's known that he helped alot and was good friend of Triun - chief of the guard.
Last edited December 1, 2015 8:08 pm
Dec 1, 2015 9:43 pm
Working on my character still, mostly backstory at this point, but I do need 2 cyphers and an oddity :)
Dec 1, 2015 10:00 pm
Newbie question, Foolsmask. How important is it to get diverse skill sets (e.g. some glaives, some nano, some jack) -- is there a hole in our current party that needs filling based on what we know?
Dec 1, 2015 10:08 pm
NPCs:
1: Irving Winters is Galen's master and adopted father. He knew Ilyana, Galen's mother, quite well - though he refuses to reveal the history there. He is a rough man who lived a hard life and has little patience for nonsense. He does have obvious affection for Galen, though he doesn't often show it beyond a stiff nod or pat on the shoulder. He is a skilled blademaster and retired adventurer.

2: Aileen Verigar is a seamstress in town who has a soft spot for the children in the town. She lost her three children to sickness when they were very young and her husband died in a farming accident. She is pretty universally well-liked and always willing to help others even above herself. Galen is fiercely protective of her as she was the only motherly figure he had in his life growing up.
Dec 1, 2015 10:34 pm
I submitted my character for mechanical approval and Cyphers/Oddities. I'll write up a detailed background likely tomorrow.

A few "newbie questions" of my own:

Do armor bonuses stack? I have a +1 from a mutation, +1 from my Focus, and +1 from armor. Does that all add up to 3 or 1?

I'm assuming we all start at teir 1.

Attack modifiers; how do we determine them?
Dec 1, 2015 10:54 pm
@ Falryx: Party Mechanics are very different in Numenera I think two Glaives aren't going to play the same way due to Descriptor and Foci. A Tough Glaive who Rages might be more like a Barbarian while a Stealthy Glaive who Murders might seem more like a Fighter/rougish Assassin. Plus the core type Glaive abilities the two would pick would probably be very different.

Also being a Nano (like what I'm playing) doesn't mean I'm a slouch in combat because I already cast a spell like a wizard and I need to run away from combat now due to the descriptor and foci picked. Healing is interesting since we have recoveries also. Also there's the misconception of skills. Anyone can make a roll, have training in it means it's easier, being specially trained in it more so, having an asset does the same plus other factors. Not having a Rogue to pick the lock on a chest or no skill at climbing to get over a wall doesn't mean you'll fail, there could be a Glaive with Carpentry so he looks at the structure and figures out how to jimmy it. Or no one knows how to climb but we have a grappling hook and rope, it's better than nothing right?

Jack play differently I think since they have a Flex skill that they can change daily/same with Driven (although it has to be towards your goals). Plus there's the mechanic of putting effort into a task which reduces the difficulty (this is more crunchy mechanics though) so may not be what you wanted to talk about.

I think we have at least one of each already so play what you want to try and play man.

@ Friar_Tuk (It 'may' stacks just remember if anything costs to activate that it's paid, and if activation is an action you don't have it until you do it versus an Enabler.)

Tier 1 is kind of the first rank.

If you're proficient with the weapon it's the normal target number, also if your know how to use Light Weapons they are one step down (easier to do). If you know how to use just Light Weapons and you pick up a medium it'll be a step up harder to use, Heavy would be two steps harder to use. Plus there's the use of Effort but this gets kind of crunchy to explain a little so probably not the thread for that kind of talk.
Dec 1, 2015 11:09 pm
falryx says:
Newbie question, Foolsmask. How important is it to get diverse skill sets (e.g. some glaives, some nano, some jack) -- is there a hole in our current party that needs filling based on what we know?
One of the things about Numenera that I like is that there really isn't a need to diversify the Types. You can have a party of all Glaives or Nanos and be fine. As the GM I should tailor things to march the party. However, skill diversity can't hurt. And while combat isn't the focus of the game, we do tend to be leaning heavy on melee. But don't feel obligated to "fill a niche" I think I can work around a group with a heavy focus in one direction.
Dec 1, 2015 11:20 pm
What Remnant said is correct. I'll try to post a sample of play from the book later that will help.

And sorry for not responding faster. I'm working and can ply take short breaks to post. But that will improve soon.
Dec 2, 2015 5:04 am
GP isn't letting me submit a character to the game at the moment, so I'll paste the background parts here for now.

Carrick Muhnae is a Resilient Jack who Possesses a Shard of the Sun

Carrick grew up as the normal son of Kuj, a respected fisherman, until one day as he was cleaning the fishing machinery, he found something caught in the nets. As soon as he touched the odd-looking object, he was consumed by a massive burst of light. he was found a few minutes later, rocking on knees holding his head in his hands. He recovered quickly, seemingly no worse for wear - but a lesson was learned that day to be wary of the numenera.

Fast forward several years and he has grown into a strong young man. He still works the harvest with his father and the rest of the crew and has earned the respect of those he's with. Over the years, he's discovered that whatever it was that he had grabbed when he was a boy had left an indelible mark on him. Carrick glows slightly after being in the sun for a while, and he can make an object glow just by touching it. This has proven quite useful when working on a ship, as they have been able to work longer into the night and earlier in the morning, toiling by the light provided to them by Carrick. Some of those on the other ships speak of him carrying a curse, though never to his face.

He returned to Aldiea eager to participate in the Festival and the race. Of course, part of Carrick's eagerness to return to land is due to his budding relationship with Kylia, the eldest daughter of a greenhouse farmer. While she returns his interest, her father isn't keen on his daughter getting involved with a fisher. Says she'll be alone too much of the time, and there's too great a risk of becoming a young widow. But if Carrick would leave the sea....well, that'd be different conversation entirely! I'm thinking of this family unit as my NPC1, but if you want to use it as two, that's fine

Carrick is also looking forward to how Jarlho will react to Carrick's performance in the race. Jarlho is the leader of the fisher guild and will make the final decision after the race on if Carrick will be able to join the guild and which ship he'd be on. Being Kuj's son would normally be enough to keep the family together, but with his special powers, Carrick is worried that Jarlho will split them up. NPC2

I'll need to get two cyphers and one oddity from the GM.

I also 'have strong emotional connection with another PC and can change the color of the light you create in their presence' - any takers?
Dec 2, 2015 6:02 am
Ok thanks -- continuing to read feverishly for another 30 minutes then off to sleep before another (3rd) day of all day meetings.
Dec 2, 2015 7:06 am
njohn858 says:

He returned to Aldiea eager to participate in the Festival and the race. Of course, part of Carrick's eagerness to return to land is due to his budding relationship with Kylia, the eldest daughter of a greenhouse farmer. While she returns his interest, her father isn't keen on his daughter getting involved with a fisher. Says she'll be alone too much of the time, and there's too great a risk of becoming a young widow. But if Carrick would leave the sea....well, that'd be different conversation entirely! I'm thinking of this family unit as my NPC1, but if you want to use it as two, that's fine

Carrick is also looking forward to how Jarlho will react to Carrick's performance in the race. Jarlho is the leader of the fisher guild and will make the final decision after the race on if Carrick will be able to join the guild and which ship he'd be on. Being Kuj's son would normally be enough to keep the family together, but with his special powers, Carrick is worried that Jarlho will split them up. NPC2
No, that is fine. I will list the family as one character but we will assume they are individuals and not some sort of mutant hive mind! And the leader of the fishers guild is a great addition to the town.

I have posted the list that I have on the NPC Guide thread. Let me know if I missed anything.
Dec 2, 2015 7:22 am
Ok, questions for/about the new character submitted tonight will have to wait for the morning, but I will go ahead and hand out oddities and cyphers. I'm going in order of the list on the Game Details, just so you know. Since falryx hasn't finished yet I'll move down to Kveit

Oddity -A choker that emits holographic images of fish swimming in the air around you.

So Cyphers for Kveit (Friar_Tuk)

Force Screen Projector lvl 8 - A bracer of syth and metal that creates an immobile plane of solid force up to 20 feet by 20 feet (6.1 m by 6.1 m) for one hour. Theplane conforms to the space available.

Remote Viewer lvl 5 - A device that looks like a pair of glass mirrors. For one hour, the glass screen on one part shows everything going on in the vicinity of the other part,
regardless of the distance between the two parts.

Rolls

Cypher rolls - (1d100, 1d100)

1d100 : (30) = 30

1d100 : (72) = 72

Cypher Levels - (1d6+3, 1d6)

1d6+3 : (5) + 3 = 8

1d6 : (5) = 5

Dec 2, 2015 7:32 am
For Galen (Naatkinson)

Oddity - A Bottle of twenty-four pills that make you vividly dream about your favorite memory when you next sleep

Fireproof Spray lv10 - A nonliving object sprayed by this cypher has Armor against fire damage equal to the cypher’s level for 28 hours.

Force Nodule lv 4 - For the next 28 hours, the armor the nodule is attached to is bolstered by a powerful force field, adding
2 to the Armor it provides.

Rolls

1d100 : (29) = 29

1d100 : (26) = 26

Cypher Levels - (1d6+4, 1d6)

1d6+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

1d6 : (4) = 4

Dec 2, 2015 4:23 pm
Sorry I didn't get to this last night, I was reading your backgrounds and weaving some plot and I guess I closed my eyes to long. So now for

Carrick(njohn858)

Oddity - A small coin purse that can hold twice as much as it appears that it should (its bigger on the inside!) (This pouch looks to be about fist size, but through interdimensional technology can hold up to a bowling ball in volume. Weight remains the same though)

Cyphers

Force Shield Projector lv 4
Form: A ring that has two spinning segments. Activated by aligning the two halves of the shield symbol and sliding the segments together.
Effect: Creates a shimmering energy shield around the user for one hour, during which time he gains +3
Armor.

Stim lv 1
Form: A blue nanite filled pill that must be swallowed
Effect: Decreases the difficulty of the next action by three steps.

Rolls

1d100 : (84) = 84

1d100 : (31) = 31

Cypher Levels - (1d6+3, 1d6)

1d6+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

1d6 : (1) = 1

Dec 2, 2015 4:54 pm
@njohn858

Questions about Carrick

1.) When the Light Numenra fused with Carrick, he saw beings, possibly from a previous world, or another world altogether. What did they tell him that scared him so much he couldn't sleep until pure exhaustion finally overcame him? What is it that haunts his dreams still? Has Carrick ever told anyone else?

2.) Carrick once overheard his father and Jarlho talking in a tavern. The older men thought Carrick had gone home to bed. Jarlho has indicated that Carrick has the makings of a good captain and may prove to be the youngest man to reach the position in Fishers Guild history. It might have been idol chatter, a good natured exchange of compliment, or Jarlho might have meant it; Carrick doesn't know. How did it make Carrick's father feel that his son might out do his own accomplishments?

3.) Carrick has heard the objections of Kylia's parents to their potential match. He will be completing the Rite of Ascension, or so he hopes. Has he given any thought to what he will do? He can't be a Fisher and be with Kylia, positions on shore are for senior, decorated captains who are to old to pull nets.

4.) Is Kylia participating in the Rite of Ascension this year? If not why? Perhaps she completed it last year or just wasn't picked by The Seer? The Seer has his own way of choosing who can participate.
Dec 2, 2015 6:25 pm
1) They told him they say his father dying painfully in his arms. This knowledge has caused an internal war within Carrick, not knowing if the voices should be trusted, or if they were telling him (intentionally or not) a falsehood. He has also struggled with wanting to distance himself from his father to prevent the prophecy and staying close to make best use of the time and fight directly against the prophecy. He has kept this knowledge to himself.

2) Kuj is torn about the promise his son shows. As any good father would, he wants Carrick to accomplish more than he has, but Carrick is the only remaining family he has, so he wants to keep his son close.

3) Carrick has given much thought to what might happen after the Rite, but as he doesn't know what the results would be or what the Seer might say, he hasn't made any plans. He's hoping that whatever the Seer says will somehow smooth things over with Kylia's parents. But if not.....he has a fretful decision to make - give up his love of fishing and being with his father for the woman he loves? Or perhaps Kylia would be willing to work the harvest with them, hard and hazardous as that may be...

4) We'll go with her not being picked by the Seer.
Dec 3, 2015 4:05 pm
It seems most people have an idea on their characters and what they'd do mechanically (sort of) anyone need someone else for a connection?
Dec 3, 2015 4:07 pm
I don't really have a connection to any of the other PCs at this point
Dec 3, 2015 4:25 pm
You make them at character creation (Tie in/connections vary by what you picked in character creation for your character options) plus we're all from the same place so it could be any PC I guess if we can storyrig it up. I went with Needs no Weapon and I picked Triat since she has an affinity to a specific weapon from her story so it made sense and I don't use any, being the daughter of the regional peace keeper we knew of each other (don't know each other as friends) since I often got into trouble (other side of things as one of the peace breakers) also it's up in the air if she thinks it's odd or weird, looks at me with disdain, since I don't think I need a weapon to do things.
Dec 3, 2015 4:39 pm
I need a connection. Someone needs to know something secret about my mechanical parts (keep it clean here folks).

The book suggestion is "a keyword that shuts down your parts", but I don't really like that one. Other ideas?
Dec 3, 2015 4:45 pm
My connection is supposed to be that one of you has shown promise with my chosen weapon (swords) and I am trying to teach them. They may be willing to learn or not, up to them.
Dec 3, 2015 4:47 pm
Maybe it's a sequence on a panel that's normally hidden or instead of shuts down its puts parts into Maintenance mode, I figure you trust someone with the secret so its a failsafe "In case I can't control my arm and a flame thrower pops out and starts burning up stuff to this...".

Also did you read up on the special healing? Part of your pools will need to be repaired I think since you're partially machine I think.

If you wanted to go a different route for the connection, someone in the group when they help repair you it feels 'good' compared to normal, you have no idea why or how you really feel about it.
Dec 3, 2015 4:50 pm
Naatkinson says:
My connection is supposed to be that one of you has shown promise with my chosen weapon (swords) and I am trying to teach them. They may be willing to learn or not, up to them.
Lets run with that. My character is inquisitive and always looking for new training and interesting people. She is also partially shunned by the community at large, so would be happy to have some companionship, even if it is just training.

She was born with bony ridges instead of lower arms and legs. Her mechanical parts are comprised of nanites that she has learned to control enough to form arms and legs around these bony ridges, so she would also be somewhat fascinated to learn hand to hand combat techniques.

I'm at a loss about the "secret". The book made it sound like the mechanical parts could be secret; like the character is hiding their nature, but I think this character in this community would have a pretty hard time of that. So I am looking for other ideas. Open floor to anyone.
Dec 3, 2015 4:55 pm
Works for me, I'm training Tuk in the ways of the blade. Maybe he's taught me the strengths and limitations of his mechanical parts so that I can better incorporate it into the way I teach? This requires an incredible amount of trust as it means that it's all too easy for me to disable them if I wanted to (which you know I never would).
Dec 3, 2015 4:56 pm
How about this: There is a key phrase that will cause all of the nanites to come apart form their current configuration and absorb into the character's skin. So, she can hide her mechanical parts, but reveals the extent of her physical mutations in the process.

Anybody want to be that connection?
Last edited December 3, 2015 4:57 pm
Dec 3, 2015 4:58 pm
I understand the dislike of the "shutdown code" for the mechanical parts. It takes away agency in a way that could ruin your fun. I liked Remnants idea of someone being better at repairing you. Another thought I had was maybe the janitors are coded to never work on or around something. Like how the Green Lanterns had issues with yellow for a while, or the original Lantern couldn't affect wood. Perhaps your annoyed fall apart in the vicinity of a rare metal or certain energy signature?
Dec 3, 2015 4:59 pm
Friar_Tuk says:
How about this: There is a key phrase that will cause all of the nanites to come apart form their current configuration and absorb into the character's skin. So, she can hide her mechanical parts, but reveals the extent of her physical mutations in the process.

Anybody want to be that connection?
That's a good one too. The mutation makes people fear you, the nanites hide it most of the time.
Dec 3, 2015 5:01 pm
I'd totally take that connection :)
Dec 3, 2015 5:04 pm
foolsmask says:
Perhaps your annoyed fall apart in the vicinity of a rare metal or certain energy signature?
I like this one too. A certain form of energy disrupts the nanites and causes them to come apart from their current configuration. They don't necessarily get disabled; they may reabosrb into the skin, they may recombine into an unpredictable form, or they may even partially detach from her body and reform as a separate entity for a brief time.

I need to post her full background, but the short version is that she is physically mutated, but found some sort of artifact by accident which contained these nanites. The nanites fused with her body and, over the course of years, she learned to control them and make them take the forms she wanted.

This has a couple ramifications: She can function just fine without the mechanical arms and legs; she just can't stand upright or grasp anything as she has no hands or feet, just bony spines. Secondly, she has no idea of the origin of these nanites. That could come up in any number of ways; these are mysterious artifacts of the Ninth World that have permanently (as far as she knows) bonded with her body.
Last edited December 3, 2015 5:04 pm
Dec 3, 2015 5:05 pm
Naatkinson, you choose. The one I came up with or the one inspired by foolsmask. Let me know.
Dec 3, 2015 5:06 pm
Let's roll for it!
Last edited December 3, 2015 5:24 pm

Rolls

FM 1, FT 2 - (1d2)

(2) = 2

Dec 3, 2015 5:11 pm
Ok, so that makes it the energy signature. I like it. Allows a lot of potential plot points to come up. Here's how we found out: we were away from town in the hills looking for a secluded spot to do some sword practice, when a "storm anomaly" passed overhead. This aberrant storm cloud was emitting a high pitched keening sound and glowing with a purplish light. In that moment, my character lost control of her nanites and they gushed out into squirming, whirling tentacles. The could passed quickly, and she was able to get the nanites under control after a few minutes.

For foolsmask; use and/or alter that as you like. The could could be a remnant of a past society, and other artifacts from that same society may emit similar energies. Or, feel free to remove the cloud and replace it with whatever maguffin you'd prefer :)
Dec 3, 2015 5:29 pm
My connection is that 'I have strong emotional connection with another PC and can change the color of the light I create in their presence.' anyone want to go with that?
Dec 3, 2015 5:33 pm
I'm up for it, my PC is mostly indifferent but in that maybe it makes him a good listener so you feel comfortable talking about whatever you want to around him since Pha doesn't judge. How's that sound?
Dec 3, 2015 5:42 pm
njohn858 says:
My connection is that 'I have strong emotional connection with another PC and can change the color of the light I create in their presence.' anyone want to go with that?
How old is your character? Mine is around 16, thinking this may be able to tie in with my background.

Kveit's mother died in childbirth. The bony spines she has in place of arms and legs cause massive blood loss. Kveit's father wanted her killed as a monster, but someone saved Kveit and gave her into the care of an elderly woman in the local mutant "ghetto". Perhaps your character as a child heard she was going to be killed, and stole the infant from her crib. Seeing her deformities, he took her to the local mutants to be cared for.

(Note: Kveit's father and this elderly mutant woman are going to be two of my NPCs, they will be included in my background post, coming soon)
Dec 3, 2015 5:44 pm
triat is still free for her connections.
She is Driven Glaive who Exist in Two places at once.
Dec 3, 2015 5:47 pm
What connections do you have?
Dec 3, 2015 5:54 pm
Quote:
How old is your character? Mine is around 16, thinking this may be able to tie in with my background.

Kveit's mother died in childbirth. The bony spines she has in place of arms and legs cause massive blood loss. Kveit's father wanted her killed as a monster, but someone saved Kveit and gave her into the care of an elderly woman in the local mutant "ghetto". Perhaps your character as a child heard she was going to be killed, and stole the infant from her crib. Seeing her deformities, he took her to the local mutants to be cared for.
I was imagining Carrick being about 18-20 as the Rite seems to be geared to those just entering adulthood, so I don't know if it'd work for him to be the one saving her, but I'd be fine him encountering her in his youth and becoming friends. Carrick has spent most of his time at sea, but would have spent the winters at shore, so it could be that he checks in on Kveit each year when he returns.
Dec 3, 2015 5:55 pm
Everyone needs to make a connection to someone else at character creation, usually so everyone is connected to everyone else somehow versus I'm connected to you and you're connected to me. Which is why I didn't suggest I be her connection to the rest of us since she's my connection to the rest of you, I can still be the connection for someone else if Njohn's PC doesn't like the idea with my PC or he picks someone else.
Dec 3, 2015 6:05 pm
njohn858 says:
I was imagining Carrick being about 18-20 as the Rite seems to be geared to those just entering adulthood, so I don't know if it'd work for him to be the one saving her, but I'd be fine him encountering her in his youth and becoming friends. Carrick has spent most of his time at sea, but would have spent the winters at shore, so it could be that he checks in on Kveit each year when he returns.
Works for me. A suggested background connection (reason we know eachother): there is a mutant in the ghetto who has the ability to make his limbs amorphous. This means he reach into tight spaces, which has made him very useful when repairing the fishing vessels. Instead of taking something apart, he can just jelly up his arms and reach through the machinery to the trouble areas. Kveit hangs out with this guy, because when she first got "infected" by the nanites, they would do crazy things and take on odd forms around her body. She spoke with this NPC (to be named) about controlling that.

Carrick is one of the few fisherfolk who treats this NPC kindly. Most of the others avoid him due to the local mutant prejudice, but Carrick always makes a point to stop and chat with this NPC. Thus, he and Kveit met. Carrick was one of the first "normal" children to ever treat Kveit like a person, so she has strong feelings toward him (perhaps a bit if a youthful crush?). Carrick was kind to Kveit at first because he knew her story, but has come to respect her tenacity, inquisitiveness, and open-mindedness.

Does all that work for you njohn858?
Dec 3, 2015 6:23 pm
Friar_Tuk says:
Does all that work for you njohn858?
That works for me. After Carrick gained his powers, Kveit was among the first he confided in about them, and she was able to help him adjust to being 'not normal'. She helped him explore his new-found abilities and be able to better control them.
Dec 3, 2015 6:42 pm
Naatkinson says:
Quote:
1. Pick one other PC. This character finds
your talent unnerving and unsettling. For her,
the difficulty of any task made to help your
duplicate is increased by one step.
2. Pick one other PC. This character seems
convinced that you are really a pair of identical
twins with no actual powers.
3. Pick one other PC with a companion. This
PC’s companion seems to have an unusual
relationship with your duplicate.
4. Pick one other PC. You used to move
in the same social circles and knew of each
other, but you had never been introduced.
I've described my character at start of the thread. the descriptor is Exists in Two places at once.
Dec 3, 2015 6:48 pm
BlackStork says:
Naatkinson says:
Quote:
1. Pick one other PC. This character finds
your talent unnerving and unsettling. For her,
the difficulty of any task made to help your
duplicate is increased by one step.
2. Pick one other PC. This character seems
convinced that you are really a pair of identical
twins with no actual powers.
4. Pick one other PC. You used to move
in the same social circles and knew of each
other, but you had never been introduced.
I've described my character at start of the thread. the descriptor is Exists in Two places at once.
I'll go with #1 - Triat's ability to duplicate herself really unnerves Carrick
Last edited December 3, 2015 6:49 pm
Dec 3, 2015 6:56 pm
Kveit's Official Background post:

Kveit was born to a "normal" man and woman. Farmers living outside of town. It was clear when she was born that she was not "normal". She was hairless, her brows, cheekbones and jawline were studded with spiky bone protuberances and her spine ended in a long, sinewy tail. But most importantly, she was born without lower arms or legs. Her skin ended at the elbows and knees, but her bones did not. They became spiky, jagged spurs with sharp tips and edges.

These bony spines proved to be her mother's greatest bane; she died in child birth due to extreme blood loss. Kveit's father wanted to kill the "newborn monster", but the midwives forbade it, and took Kveit to the small mutant district in the village and gave her into the care of Mama Zifnaby, an eternally elderly mutant woman known to take in mutant children of "normal" parents.

Kveit grew up smart and inquisitive. Her bony arms and legs proved to be quite good for moving about on all fours, so she was mobile early in life. This mobility, combined with a natural inquisitiveness, got her into trouble many, many times. When she was old enough to understand the horrified looks and the cruel comments of the townsfolk, she took to roaming the hills and coastlines at the outskirts of the farms. She avoided crowds of people for the most part. Occasionally, she felt like she could hear their thought, and would become overwhelmed by it. She especially avoided her father's farm. Rumor had it that he had taken to drinking heavily, and had vowed drunkenly to kill his "murderous demon daughter" if he ever got the chance.

One day, as Kveit was exploring a cave she found in the local hills, she stumbled across an odd shaped metal ball. This ball was faceted, like a gemstone, and glowed with a soft, purplish light. Kveit poked at it with a bony arm, then scratched at a nodule on one of the facets. When she did this, the ball burst open and a roiling cloud/puddle of purplish gray enveloped her, pouring into her nose, mouth, ears, and nether orifices; Kveit passed out from the pain and shock. when she awoke, she was still lying in the cave, with the faceted metal ball (no longer a ball, now each facet stood out from a hollow internal superstructure) nearby. She reached for the ball with a claw, and long amorphous tendril of something metallic slithered out from her upper arm. After the initial shock wore off, she found she could control this tendril. She willed it to withdraw and, after some moments, it did so.

She wrapped her tail around the "ball" and made straight for home. She explained to Mama about the ball, and asked what she should do. Mama smiled, told her she was blessed by the ancient ones, and that she must learn to control that blessing.

Kveit has spent the intervening years learning to control her new nanite parts and learning to fight and hunt. She still avoids the town proper, and especially the farmlands around her father's farm. She occasionally makes a few shins by translating for the rare trading caravans that come through the area. Her Polyglot ability allows her to understand and communicate with those from other lands. She loves hearing about these far flung places.

She is young, only 16, but has decided to put herself forward to be chose by the Seer anyway. She has come to believe that she is meant for something bigger than this furtive life as a village outcast. She longs to see the wider world and discover new places and people. She hope to find a place where people will accept her, as have her few friends here in town. Though young, her hard and independent life have matured her beyond her years.

NPCs:

Mama Zifnaby: Often just called Mama. Zifnaby is an ancient crone living in the mutant ghetto enclave of the village. She is so old that nobody in living memory can recall her as being anything but an old woman. The oldest local gaffers, if you get a few drinks into them, will tell you that she was old, wrinkled and crooked when they were but children. Zifnaby makes her living as a fortune teller. Her predictions are eerily insightful and often come true. She has a reputation for taking in mutant children born of non-mutant parents.

Epee Gurosoa: Kveit's father. He is a local farmer, once a respected member of the community. That all changed when his wife died in child birth. After that, he took up drinking heavily, and his fields went to weeds. He has traded off most of his former farm holdings, only keeping a couple sallow fields where he grows a meager crop suitable to keep him alive, fed, and in drink. He rarely talks to anyone and is almost never seen off his land. On the few occasions he has made his way into town (usually after brokering some deal, with shins jangling in his pockets) he has made a scene at the local tavern. Once he gets drunk enough, he inevitable begins raving about his "demonic daughter" and how she needs to be put to death for "killing his wife". There was an ugly scene once where he tried to go into the Mama Zifnaby's hovel and do the deed himself. But he was turned back somehow by Mama herself, without ever entering the place.

Koser: Koser is a local mutant who enjoys an almost normal relationship with the community. He looks like a normal human, but has the ability to "melt" his arms into amorphous forms. This, combined with a natural aptitude for mechanics, has garnered him a place on the maintenance crew for the fishing vessels. The other mechanics treat him with respect, but the fisher folk generally mistrust and avoid him. His status in the community and his "wealth" (relative to the other mutants) has made him sort of spokesman for the local mutant community. He is sometimes invited to village council meetings as a representative for "his people". Not often though...
Last edited December 3, 2015 7:03 pm
Dec 3, 2015 7:00 pm
BlackStork says:
Quote:
Can I do this one, but with a slight change? Kveit doesn't have a companion, but I'm thinking maybe she has gotten confused at some point, and thinks your duplicate is actually the original. So she always addresses the "second you" instead of you. Everyone ok with that?
Dec 3, 2015 7:08 pm
I am ok with 2 connections. I think 2 is enough. So deal, i'll add them to Triat's CC. :)
Dec 3, 2015 7:34 pm
Ok, I like what I'm seeing here. 2 connections is great, but if you all want to keep going and create connections among all the PCs. I am once again at work for the night, but tomorrow I'm off so I can review this stuff and fill in more details.
Dec 3, 2015 7:37 pm
I'd love to have some sort of connection to all the other PCs

Have no current connection to
Triat
Pha
Carrick
Last edited December 3, 2015 7:41 pm
Dec 3, 2015 7:57 pm
Didn't realize I never posted this!

APPEARANCE
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 200 lbs
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Green
Skin: Tan

Glaive Connection: You trained with a highly respected mentor. He has many enemies

BACKSTORY
Galen was born in Uncegilla Cove shortly after his single, pregnant mother arrived, apparently on the run from her brutal husband. She died from a sickness shortly after childbirth and Galen never met her. He was adopted by Irving Winters, a retired blademaster and apparent friend of Galen's mother, Ilyana Teth.

He has been raised with the blade and Irving's no-nonsense tendencies and though he emulates them to some degree he is a bit more lax and is known to lower his guard every so often. Upon completion of his formal training Galen received a greatsword called Reaver from Irving as a gift. Besides Reaver he has one other possession that he cares for, a plain gold ring that his mother wore before her death which he keeps on a chain around his neck.

He is always willing to work hard and never gives up, traits passed to him by his master. He doesn't judge others on anything besides their actions, feeling that it's foolish to discriminate based on unchangeable inherited traits.

CONNECTIONS
1. Kveit has been showing great promise in training with the blade despite her potential handicaps
2. While out for training one day Kveit's nanites disassembled and freaked out when a strange storm passed overhead.
Last edited December 3, 2015 8:01 pm
Dec 3, 2015 8:05 pm
Normally 1 foci connection is norm and limit in core Numenera rules. 2 is cool but more is overkill and create too much complications.

Then also comes type/class connection which is not strict and completely character background dependant (story connection)

PS. Nice format. I will adopt it to post about Triat

PSS . I am really happy to play active Numenera game as player. GP needs more Numenera activity, because system rocks.
Last edited December 3, 2015 8:10 pm
Dec 3, 2015 8:15 pm
BlackStork says:
PSS . I am really happy to play active Numenera game as player. GP needs more Numenera activity, because system rocks.
Agreed! I'm excited too! I have read through a lot of the rules, as well as a lot from the Cypher System Rulebook, but I've been having a hard time wrapping my mind around it all.

Once I feel like I have my feet under me, I plan on running a homebrew Cypher System campaign. The theme will be combination of Noir/Horror and Steampunk. I'll post about it here when the time comes so y'all can get first crack at it.
Dec 3, 2015 8:44 pm
Triat, Driven Glaive, who Exist in Two Places at Once.

APPEARANCE
Height: 210cm
Weight: 75kg
Hair: Red ginger
Eyes: Dark Olive

Very muscular, hulking ginger-hair lady, with very driven and determined behaviour. She emits determination, and values power, prowess, and is daughter to old Cove's Chief of Guard. She is ambitious, self-centered, and often blunt. She wears only light skin armours, and from very young age she been trained to be very tolerant to weather conditions and physical hardships.

BACKSTORY
Triat is young determined lady. She is abnormally big - 2.1m tall, and while she is well fit - simply he is just really tall and she is muscular and well trained physically by her old father - elder Triun was chief of Cove's guard for many years. For many years he had dream about boy, but his wife had health problems and was not very reproductive. Triat was only child, which has grown in enviroment of father's ambition to have strong hero-like sibling, who will be person to admire, to follow and respect for anyone in the Cove. She is very ambitious, competetive girl - as her father, and she have something that frightens others even more - her ability to duplicate herself. People talk that she started to duplicate herself after one harsh winter group of numenera trades arrived from the South. People tell her father bought some very expencive numenera from one of the traders, investing almost all savings Triun family had. For few months small girl had odd behaviour, and then everyone noticed that she plays and manipulates own copy which made of nanites.
She uses old huge fishing hook as heavy two-handed weapon, while her copy holds the lighter version.
Despite being young girl everyone in the village know - she was grown as fighting machine by her old, respected in the cove father.

Triat played with her duplicate from childhood. She knows that the duplicate have nano nature , but he threats it like herself - with care, pride, but she see her as her own extension. Something that is part of her, like normal people threat own hands or legs - but for her another copy of her exist, bound to her will. Yes, she have a name - Tairt (Name of Triat backwards)

She is quite ambitious, self-loving and sometimes over-confident. Her drive is her boon and bane, as she listens less, and act more following her inner drive. Her determination provided with her ambition and ambition of her father. She was educated, grown to be first. The best. Powerful, mighty, respected and fearsome. She is fond of her advantages over weaker youth of the cove, and when she was younger she had problems with anger management, which dissolved when she became older and got proper, sometimes harsh lessons from her father.

CONNECTIONS
1. Kveit is confused by Triat's ability to duplicate herself, and she often addresses Tairt (Triat duplicate) and thinks that she is the real one.
2. Carrick finds Triat's talent unnerving and unsettling. For him, the difficulty of any task made to help your duplicate is increased by one step.

PS. @Friar_Tuk
I've built complex and huge Numenera-based homebrew setting and i am running game here, on GP. Players say that it one of most complex and content rich systems. Perhaps i will do some systematization and even some site for it once i will polish it and will run the full game of it which for now is set being open-ended. It's still running and it's open for public views, called Octagon - you can check and read it - i am fond of story based approach promoted by Numenera creator. I really like flexebility and approach of the system, and it's lightness. It's like JavaScript of the tabletop RPG games.
Last edited December 3, 2015 9:01 pm
Dec 4, 2015 8:18 am
I have question: Driven skill seem to be different from Flex skill, because Flex is limited to any non-defence skill, while Driven do not have such description/limitation. So the question is if I can to pick Defence skill for Triat.

Triat drive comes from ambition and how her father educated her - to be responsive hero-like person, and she thrives to be the best in any things she do, and what she knows to do is mainly things related to physicall prowess, survival and might and combat. So Drive skill should be something combat/prowess related. As it could be switched we could assign few skills that could be selected each day - one - from this list:
For example:
Defence (Speed)
Defence (Might)
Intimidate

@foolsmask What do you think?
Dec 4, 2015 4:33 pm
I'll make more progress with my character today/tomorrow -- which will just add another connection to the mix. :)
Dec 5, 2015 5:07 am
BlackStork says:
I have question: Driven skill seem to be different from Flex skill, because Flex is limited to any non-defence skill, while Driven do not have such description/limitation. So the question is if I can to pick Defence skill for Triat.

Triat drive comes from ambition and how her father educated her - to be responsive hero-like person, and she thrives to be the best in any things she do, and what she knows to do is mainly things related to physicall prowess, survival and might and combat. So Drive skill should be something combat/prowess related. As it could be switched we could assign few skills that could be selected each day - one - from this list:
For example:
Defence (Speed)
Defence (Might)
Intimidate

@foolsmask What do you think?
I see where you are coming from on this BlackStork, but the answer is no. I don't think that the Driven Descriptor is anymore combat focused than any other Descriptor. In fact, looking back at the Descriptors, I don't think the designers intended any of the Descriptors to be combat focused. Driven can be applied to non-physical activities. You could be driven to translate an ancient text you believe holds valuable information. You could be driven to prove yourself the greatest chess player in the world. Both of these goals are more cerebral pursuits. However, one day Climbing could be a relevant skill to either of those pursuits because you find yourself at the bottom of a cliff and the next town you need to get to is up.

Finally, I find myself looking at page 25 of the core book in the section on Skills. It says:
Core Book says:
Only skills gained through character type abilities, such as the glaive's fighting moves focus abilities, or other rare instances allow you to become skilled with attack or defense tasks.
Dec 5, 2015 5:21 am
And I just realized I missed asking questions of Naatkinson/Galen, SO here they are:

1.) Your mentor and adoptive father is a master swordsman. He used to serve in the town guard as a peacekeeper. Does he still? if not, what is his stated reason for quitting? If he still is a peacekeeper, what is his reputation in the aldiea? Is he well liked or thought poorly of, and why is that?

2.) You suspect there is more to the Widow Fesessa's story than anyone will tell you. What secret do you think she is keeping?

3.) What does Galen intend to do once he has completed the Rite of Ascension? Everyone must be a productive member of society you know. If you aren't they might exile you or something.
Dec 5, 2015 5:47 am
And I owe Kveit/Friar_Tuk some questions here as well. I think I was confusing our discussion of your mutations and nanites for these story building questions.

1.) Mama Zifnaby does not like The Seer, though she never shows open animosity to the person many in town see as something of a religious figure. There is more to it than a professional rivalry between them though. What has she told Kveit about why she doesn't like The Seer?

2.) Your father may be a ruin of his former self, but you hear that a he has had a female caller on occasion. How does that make you feel?

3.) The day you were chosen by The Seer, you had been thinking about the Rite a lot. You had only just made up your mind to present yourself to The Seer and ask to be chosen when you found yourself face to face with the ancient being. Handing you the container delineating your status, The Seer said one word to you. What was is and what do you think it means?
Dec 5, 2015 6:55 pm
I've taken a crack at my sheet and submitted it -- I suspect I have problems/incomplete items - so guidance is welcome.

My Mystical Nano who Rides The Lightning needs:

3 cyphers
2 oddities
Dec 5, 2015 7:08 pm
I also could use a character connection -- someone who is a longtime friend (this person, from a game mechanic, will be able to ride the lightning with me).
Dec 5, 2015 7:43 pm
@farlyx Looks good. Just those connections to work out and I think you're good to go. I made some adjustments to your sheet. Because you chose Mystic Nano you actually are Specialized in identifying and understanding Numenera, so I went ahead and checked the circle next to that skill twice so that the S appeared. If you are Trained in a skill, you stop at the T. Also, you all start with max pools, so your Current scores match your Max. As you do take actions and damage you will spend down from the Current pools, but the Max Pools stay the same so you know where to stop when you rest and heal.

I'll roll up your Cyphers shortly and edit this message. Your oddities are listed

Oddities
A chipped glass bead that allows one to see great distances when looking through it. (will be handy later when you can teleport)
A tube of gel which relieves pain on the skin of most people and induces labor in pregnant women. (No actual Recpvery of pool points)

Cyphers

Antivenom lv 5 - A vial of clear yellow liguid. Renders user immune to poisons of the same level or lower (and ends any such ongoing effects, if any,already in the user’s system).
Datasphere siphon lv 3 - A handheld clamshell device. Tapping into the datasphere’s knowledge, the user can learn the answer to one question.
Temporal Viewer lv 9 - A large cylinder with many dials and buttons on a control panel. A circular glass screen can be raised. When activated the screen displays moving images and sound, up to ten minutes in length, depicting events that occurred at the
current location up to one year prior. The user specifies the time period shown by the viewer by adjusting the settings on the control panel.

Rolls

Cypher rolls - (1d100, 1d100, 1d100)

1d100 : (2) = 2

1d100 : (91) = 91

1d100 : (11) = 11

Cypher Levels - (1d6+2, 1d6, 1d6+4)

1d6+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

1d6 : (3) = 3

1d6+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

Dec 5, 2015 7:57 pm
@foolsmask Thanks for clarification.
So the Driven skill is similar to Flex skill with it's mechanics.
Great , so i will set it as the game moves, once a day, following how Triat percieves her needs in order to satisfy/fulfill her drive and ambition.
Last edited December 5, 2015 7:58 pm
Dec 5, 2015 9:25 pm
@ Falryx if no one picked you up on the connection yet I'm up for it.
Dec 5, 2015 10:24 pm
foolsmask says:
And I owe Kveit/Friar_Tuk some questions here as well. I think I was confusing our discussion of your mutations and nanites for these story building questions.

1.) Mama Zifnaby does not like The Seer, though she never shows open animosity to the person many in town see as something of a religious figure. There is more to it than a professional rivalry between them though. What has she told Kveit about why she doesn't like The Seer?

2.) Your father may be a ruin of his former self, but you hear that a he has had a female caller on occasion. How does that make you feel?

3.) The day you were chosen by The Seer, you had been thinking about the Rite a lot. You had only just made up your mind to present yourself to The Seer and ask to be chosen when you found yourself face to face with the ancient being. Handing you the container delineating your status, The Seer said one word to you. What was is and what do you think it means?
1.) Short answer: nothing. Kveit has tried to question Zifnaby, but her answers have been so cryptic as to be no answer at all. Things like, "Two old trees must share the same sun. Though the trees may compete for the light, the sun is not diminished by the sharing," or, "The squabbles of old women are like two mushrooms fighting; we forget that we may share the same mycelium."

2.) Confused anger. Kveit does not know her father at all. She knows who he is, and knows he wants her dead. Otherwise she avoids him. The confusion and anger has to do with her father blaming her for taking "the love of his life", then possibly finding comfort in the arms of another.

3.) The seer said, "Verdandi", which means absolutely nothing to Kveit.
Last edited December 7, 2015 2:31 pm
Dec 5, 2015 10:28 pm
Remnant says:
@ Falryx if no one picked you up on the connection yet I'm up for it.
Roger roger -- my nano buddy who beats on things with his hands. :)
Dec 5, 2015 10:37 pm
@foolsmask - I've updated my sheet with more information on the NPCs - please inspect/advise.

@remnant - I'll forward you my background in PM, so that we can tighten the connective tissue somewhat.
Dec 6, 2015 4:58 pm
1. Irving is still a peacekeeper, though he is considering retiring from it, he's getting into his 50s and is beginning to tire of it. He is generally well-liked, and considered to be fair (if a bit tough)

2. I think that Widow Fesessa used to be married to someone very important, or was someone of great importance herself but something happened and she lost her status.

3. Galen is planning on becoming an adventurer as Irving was, either that or he will become a peacekeeper.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.