Chapter 1: The Letorneau Plantation

Dec 5, 2015 10:51 am
This was one step, the first step, of a much bigger plot. The biggest plot the skaa had ever hatched. The nobility of Mantiz, a small city in the Western Dominance, would be overthrown. Some murdered, some merely replaced by skaa sympathizers, or, skaa themselves. Before a plan could unfold, however, you needed security. One of you had heard of Sastren, a coppercloud rumoured to be the very best at hiding people and plots. Before she would help you, she needed proof that you were serious, and she needed work done. Her request brought you here, to a the Letorneau plantation a half days forced march from Mantiz. Skaa work the fields while house guards wander amongst them, chastising those who slow their pace and whipping those who stop or fall in exhaustion. Here, somewhere in the house that overlooks the fields, is a notebook with detailed observations of suspicious skaa activity within the city of Mantiz. Sastren wants the book.

You were lucky. Several coincidences have made this job easier. Some of you with skaa blood are familiar with a family or two that works the plantation, and an order from the Canton of Finance requested an obligator visit the plantation and review and authorize the most recent batch of transactions. Above all, Zara Latorneau, the minor noble who oversees the plantation - and a fiercely renowned coinshot - is away on her annual trip to Luthadel to visit with the families her plantation supplies. The plan is simple: get in, find the notebook, take the notebook, and get out.

So, here you all are in the ashen fields overlooking the plantation. Beyond the plantation fields sits a quaint wooden house with statues of mythical beasts equally spaced around the perimeter. The sun hangs low in the sky, night will be upon you within the hour.

Beat: 5 minutes
Dec 5, 2015 11:15 am
Mateo pulls his cloak tighter around his thin frame as he examines the house. He turns back to the others in the group with an easy smile and his characteristically warm voice. "I should probably arrive before sundown. It will give me more time to learn where everything is, but once I'm there, I may have trouble communicating what I learn. It would be good to know what everyone will be doing and have a way of coordinating our actions."
Dec 5, 2015 2:37 pm
Hiram scratched his chin and hummed for a moment, thinking. "It might be worth our time to work the fields with the other skaa as a way of blending in and tracking down our contacts." He spat to one side, "They won't notice a few more hands, and wouldn't recognize us as new anyway. But working alongside the skaa would allow us to get in close and if we can find the Rintries, they might be willing to provide some information on how to gain access into the manor."
Dec 5, 2015 6:49 pm
Turning to Mateom, Dezire says "Take me in as your 'personal assistant'. I'll be able to slip in an out of the house and communicate with the others, and help you look for the notebook."
Last edited December 5, 2015 6:50 pm
Dec 5, 2015 8:37 pm
Mateo runs a hand over his shaved head in thought. After only a moment's consideration, he nods with conviction. "Yes. That will work perfectly. I will be able to hold their attention and give you the space you need."
Dec 5, 2015 9:39 pm
Lynch busied himself studying the lay of the man and attempting to remember what was important where buildings were and what might be useful. "Right some in with the common folk works fa me, sounds like a good way t' blend in. Some look propa so being on the inspection would work for those who don't look like they'd lug a sack of potatoes 'n de daily." he agreed nodding to the area that looked like the man house were the book probably was. "Since we're splitting up we could try and attempt to get a bit of intelligence gathering on the place within the hour before the sun sets if it looks complicated to find it and do a drop outside the building for one of us to pick up. What the guards look like for numba n patrols, where the tools are turned back in in case we 'ave need of equipment, where the food silo is or water storage is for sabotage maybe as a distraction. If you can mark an area that looks secluded with little in the way of guards for our entry or where you'll escape when you're in that'd be great." he added after a few seconds checking off in his mind what they could be doing.

With the sun going down they'd probably have to decide if what they'd need to do, all sneak in after dark or possibly a hand off to not arise suspicion of the inspector and crew going in.
Dec 6, 2015 7:31 am
"I think we go in now and find the book, steal it quietly. Those staying outside sneak in after dark and make contact with the people we know. Hunker down somewhere safe and I will come find you and bring you the package. Then you get out again. In the morning the inspection team leaves after completing their work and having a nice breakfast and some polite conversation." She looks around for agreement or objection.
Dec 6, 2015 7:38 am
Mateo nods. "Agreed. We should get a move on though. We want to be there with light to spare." He looks at Dezire with an apologetic expression. "If you're going to be playing my personal assistant, I would like to apologize beforehand. I will be playing my part as well, which may require me to be less than friendly to a skaa. You'll have to carry my pack as well." Mateo passes it to Dezire, straightens up, and a cold expression settles on his face. He turns towards the house and starts walking without a backwards glance.
Dec 6, 2015 8:04 am
"As long as you remember it is just play-acting later, we shan't have a problem." She hefts the bag and scurries to catch up then falls instep demurely behind him, eyes down cast. It is never to early to "get in character"
Dec 6, 2015 9:01 am
Outside the House - Mateo, Dezire

Mateo leads the walk along the path, which is lightly dusted by ash. As you near the house, plantation workers notice your approach and hurry to clear the ash from the pathway a dozen or so feet ahead of you. Dezire notices their downcast, submissive gazes give way to a brief glare at the obligators back as they pass.

When you arrive at the entrance to the house a house guard, dressed in chainmail and carrying a long spear, approaches you. "Evening." He bows his head slightly in deference to Mateo, "We've been expecting you. I've sent for a servant to aid you while you are here with us. In the meantime, I can answer any questions you have, or take you to wherever you need to go."

I'll use bold blue headings on posts to keep track of different groups. It'll be smoother than splitting and rejoining threads all the time, as I expect in this game that the group will often be dividing like this.
Dec 6, 2015 1:51 pm
Looking to the other two he nods towards the plantation, "Guess we should get to it 's well eh?" Lynch mentions moving down looking for a way to get in with the Skaa doing work and to find the contact.
Dec 6, 2015 2:27 pm
Hiram agreed. He stooped to pick up a few handfuls of ash and smeared it over his face, hair, arms, and clothing. "Have to look the part of a lowly skaa, right?"
Dec 6, 2015 7:03 pm
Mateo bows his head politely in acknowledgement to the guard. "Thank you for your words of welcome. I would appreciate a tour of the area. I have never been to a plantation before. Skip the fields. They were just skaa and ash, from what I saw, and I have no desire to interact with either more than is necessary." He turns to Dezire, "You. Find this servant and make sure my things are delivered to my room. Then return immediately in case I need you, but stay out of the way." Mateo turns back to the guard and waves his hand dismissively over his shoulder in the general direction of Dezire.

"Now, about that tour."
Dec 6, 2015 10:23 pm
In the Fields - Lynch and Hiram

After rubbing some ash on yourself you wait the for guard patrol to pass and move into the fields along side a group of skaa working hard to clear the ash away from and unearth some vegetables. They pause, briefly, as you join them in clearing away the ash, but quickly get back to work. Once the guards are out of earshot one of them, a young man who still has the spark of youthful determination in his eye, leans in between both of you and says, "Haven't seen you around before."

Inside the House - Mateo, Dezire

The guard smiles and leans his spear up against the wall of the house beside the door frame, "I'd be happy to show you around. It is indeed, not but skaa and ash in the fields. We can start with your chambers, so I can show your servant where to put your things." He turns and nods to the other guard at the door, who steps aside and lets you enter.

Inside the house is immaculate. Except for what you track in, the interior is entirely ash-free. An impressive feat for this particular plantation, given the thickness of the ash and the occasional windstorm that passes through. The guard leads you down a sparsely decorated hallway where a few paintings, made by an amateur hand, line the walls, and into a respectably sized bedchamber. The room has a decently sized bed, a writing table, chair, plenty of ink and paper and several shelves of books, "This is your room. We were not expecting you to have assistance, but we can find housing for your servant with the household skaa."

Before you can leave the room a young skaa man wearing a button up shirt that is missing the bottom two buttons, and a pair of trousers with a small tear in the bottom cuff of the right leg, enters the hallway. He stops suddenly, seeing you, and drops down and presses his forehead to the floor, "Apologies for being late. I am here to help with the household records."

Note: If there's a specific outcome you desire from a social interaction - then we can make a roll and call it a significant action. If you don't specify a desired outcome or result, then I'll just RP along (or call for a roll, if the situation requires it - but in general, it may not without a specific goal).

So, for example, Mateo may have been trying to get Dezire the opportunity to be alone in the house. If that was a desired outcome, then I would have asked for a roll (probably Charm or Wits, difficulty 1 -- success would've resulted in a flustered guard, who hurried to please the Inquisitor and lapsed on keeping an eye on the skaa servant). As it was, no specific goal was specified, so I took it to be just a continuation of RPing.

If you do have a specific goal/result in mind, use green text at the bottom of the post to let me know.
Dec 6, 2015 11:05 pm
Mateo looks down at the skaa with poorly disguised disgust. "Return in the morning and don't be late. Oh, and at least try to be presentable." He turns to the guard, "It is too late to begin the review tonight, but we can still continue the tour. I will leave my assistant to do whatever it is skaa do when they're not being useful."

Trying to dismiss the servant and get the guard to show me the whole house, while leaving Dezire free to do what she wants.
Dec 7, 2015 2:37 am
Dezire shifts uncomfortably under the weight of both her burdens and the eyes of the Mateo and the guard.

"If it please...m'lord..s, I will arrange Master Santiago's rooms to his...um...orders, then be shown to my sleeping area. Upon leaving my things I shall return to...wait upon Master Santiago's final dismissal for the evening?" Dezire puts an extra lilt in her voice to make it sound as though she is thoroughly cowed and subservient. Her head is slightly down and she looks through her eyelashes at the guard and Mateo.
Dec 7, 2015 8:46 am
The skaa servant bows lower, "Sorry sir. Sorry." then scurries away like a mouse that just had its tail clipped. The guard thinks for a moment, but before he answers Dezire makes her pleading case. He seems to be thinking about something rather carefully before he responds...

Our first roll! This will be a Charm 1 roll. So you will roll dice equal to your Charm. But wait, there's more! Your dice pool is adjusted by Traits, Props and Circumstances.

Normally, when you declare a significant action, you should (to save time) also indicate which traits of your own you think are going to contribute to your success as well as any props you are using that you think will help. Then, I'll handle negative traits, negative props (but I do encourage you to do that as well) and circumstances (only the narrator handles circumstances). To save time, I've gone through your traits and made the following decisions:

+1 Obligator, +1 Eye tattoos (these together are granting you authority)
-1 Sincere (you are being deceptive, which cuts against your Personality)
+1 Dezire's Con-Artist (she's skilled at acting, and her pleading is likely to help your 'case')
-1 Circumstance (you're trying to convince the guard to go against his orders, when orders violations are harshly punished in this household)

The net result is Charm +1 vs 1
Dec 7, 2015 9:02 am
Charm 6+1 = 7d6
( 4, 2, 4, 5, 6, 6, 5 ) = 4 with two Nudges.
Dec 7, 2015 9:23 am
"Alright. Follow me." He turns to Dezire and stares down at her, "Don't leave this room." Then he straightens up, proud to have such an important responsibility, and leads Mateo from the room and down the hall. The pass another guard, whom he nods to, but says nothing - distracted as he is by the demands and importance of his current task.

Excellent! Just be sure to use the roller built into the post. It's both more convenient, and nicely separates post content from rolls.

When you succeed, the difference between your result and the target number is the Outcome. So you succeeded with an Outcome of 3. The greater the outcome, the better the, well, outcome! If you had failed, the difference between your result and the target is the number of complications you incur.

Now, nudges. Nudges are used to affect the story, and sometimes to gain mechanical benefits (small things like "regain 1 resilience as you catch a second wind in battle" and "the time to perform a difficult task is reduced by 1 beat"). Typically you'll use them to either grant yourself a bonus die on the next round, make an opponent suffer a 1 die penalty on their next check, or modify the story. After you make a roll, I encourage you to make a proposal for your nudges! To keep things moving I'll handle it this time.

Both Nudges (because the story effect is moderate, so it takes both) - The guard becomes flustered by the circumstance, and neglects to notify another guard on their tour that the skaa has been left alone.

I'll describe the tour a bit later, once those in the field have had a chance to act, and Dezire has had a chance to use her solitary circumstances.
Dec 7, 2015 1:56 pm
"I imagine you wouldn't young blood..." Lynch stated continuing to work checking around the area with his peripherals for the guards and where others were working, "Looking for a mate o' mine or some a 'is kin. Goes by da name Aengus Fearguch. You know 'em? Tall Lanky sort, ruddy faced, angry or scowling about something usually..." he added not stating anything much outright besides humoring the boy. He shot a side glance look to Hiram to see if he was scanning for anyone he was going to try and make contact.

(OoC: Not sure how the system works in this case so let me know if I needed to do something different and I'll edit. My intent is to name drop someone I know on the plantation not to say outright what I'm here for though, since I don't know the kid I don't know what side of the coin he's on really so if he can help me great if he's thinking otherwise I'm hoping the name dropping and my size makes him have reservations about doing something like diming us out this close to me. Should I roll something to get information out of the young man? I'd like to add my Trait Connected.)
Last edited December 7, 2015 1:56 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.