Chapter 1: The Letorneau Plantation

load previous
Jan 21, 2016 10:07 pm
"Fair enough, but once we dump this guy, I want to take a closer look at what they're doing. It might prove useful information later." Hiram then knelt on the body, using his weight to further secure him while he put his hand over the gag, hoping the guard wouldn't make a sound while Lynch took his life.
Jan 22, 2016 5:06 am
Mateo whispers to Dezire, "Do you think this is it? I'm not sure that we can afford to leave the plantation unless we are certain. I will head back to the room and try to figure out if this is our prize. Until we are certain, I can delay the investigation."
Jan 22, 2016 9:55 pm
Whispering back to Mateo, "This has to be it. Take it back to your room and try to break the cipher. I will spend a little more time looking for the key to the code, but i'm pretty sure this is it."

Dezire is sure something hidden so well has to either be what they are looking for, or something of equal value to that which they seek. She gives the room a second going over while thinking to herself, "Having found the one secret compartment might lead to another."
OOC:
Hoping if there is anything else to find that roll will find it, even something that is just valuable.
Last edited January 22, 2016 9:56 pm

Rolls

Wits to search more - (4d6)

(2162) = 11

Profession, Drive - (2d6)

(66) = 12

Jan 23, 2016 3:40 pm
Canal - Hirma and Lynch
Lynch quickly slits the man's throat. He suddenly wakes, gurgles a bit, then dies. The two men prepare the body, weighing it down, and quietly roll it into the canal.

Basement - Daclish
Searching the area for metals Daclish discovers, of all things, an iron key in the desk in the one room. On a hunch, he tries it, and sure enough the key fits the manacles and the woman's hands are suddenly free as the bindings snap open. She stands there, rubbing her wrists... "What now?'

Upstairs - Dez and Mateo
Dezire gives the room one more thorough search. She finds a hidden belt of misting vials, probably steel given what they know of Letourneau. Misting vials are always worth a few boxings on the skaa market, at least, she could trade them for more vials she could use herself in the worst of arrangements. She also finds a small box with a good bit of coin in it.
OOC:
You can treat the coin box as 1 Resources that you could spend as you might spend Resources if the circumstance allows. Such as in bribery, or to acquire new gear, etc.. instead of tracking money though, it's probably easier to treat 'acquired' wealth as temporary Resources
Jan 25, 2016 5:14 am
Mateo tucks the book securely inside his robes and heads back to the room. He carefully closes the door behind him and lights a small candle and begins trying to decode the book.

Rolls

Wits roll to decode the book - (5d6)

(55545) = 24

Jan 25, 2016 4:21 pm
Hiram watched the body sink beneath the surface and looked upstream to see if there was any outcry. It all seemed quiet, so he nudged Lynch and nodded in the direction of the dock. He whispered, "I'm going to get closer. It might be better to hold off on tearing up the road until we find out more information. We don't want to tip our hand by alerting them to something unusual going on." He then quietly moved closer, trying to pick out enough words and fragments to piece together the context of what they were discussing.
Jan 25, 2016 4:25 pm
OOC:
Hiram, I'd like a Physique check to sneak up and listen without being noticed. You can add +1 for your Perception, and +1 Circumstance for the mists
Jan 25, 2016 4:33 pm
OOC:
Roll for being sneaky

Rolls

Stealth - (7d6)

(6232253) = 23

Jan 26, 2016 8:09 am
"How long has it been since they last checked up on you?" Daclish asks the woman, not directly answering her question.

Daclish closes the manacles again, and considers how he might rig a trap using the chemicals from the lab, as well as how long it would take.
Last edited January 26, 2016 8:09 am
Feb 2, 2016 6:11 pm
Canalside - Hiram and Lynch

Hiram is able to, using the mist as cover, get quite close to the docks without being detected. He hears the men grumbling about working through the night. One of them says, "Well, 'least you don't have to shove a barge back up the canal before morning. You've just got a leisurely trip up the road." Listening more Hiram learns that they are unloading kegs of water, and that the delivery is to go directly into the cellar, via some path that does not go through the house.

Basement - Daclish
The woman's eyes widen as he closes the manacles again, "Hours. Another, a skaa woman, came and promised to free me. Before that, it had been hours. They bring food and water in the morning, and some days do their experiments later."

Thinking about the lab equipment Daclish it seems to be primarily a filtration and distillation system. There's a few oxidants, and accelerants that one might use to test the composition of mineral or metal shavings, but it would take chemical know-how to determine if, and how, to combine them in any particular manner.
Feb 2, 2016 6:24 pm
Hiram quietly returned to Lynch and reported what he had heard. He whispered, "They seem innocent enough. On the surface, I don't think there's anything underhanded taking place, but it sounds like they know of another way into the cellar, and potentially into the rest of the house. I want to follow them and see where they go. Do you want to come with me or run back to warn the others to avoid the cellar?"
Feb 2, 2016 6:41 pm
"I'll keep you company mate, worse case we just come back to the riv'a" Lynch states with a shrug and a malicious smirk.
Feb 3, 2016 7:18 am
Dez makes her way back to Mateo with her spoils.
Feb 3, 2016 3:16 pm
Guest Room - Dez and Mateo

Returning to Mateo's room, the two get to work translating some of the notebook to confirm if it is indeed what they came to acquire. Mateo flips through the book, taking notes on a scrap of parchment, rubbing his chin and otherwise becoming deeply engaged in the analysis of the text. There's nothing quite like a good, technical, puzzle for a member of the Canton of Finance. He quickly decrypts the characters, it's a shifted alphabet cypher with a secondary shift between every third letter that is then mapped to a custom alphabet. Difficult for most to decode, but for Mateo it was almost obvious from the moment he started.

The notebook is indeed the one they came to collect. Mateo quickly discovers why their coppercloud was interested - the alias under which she had contacted them is listed amongst the skaa being tracked by the Letorneau people. The symbol beside her entry suggests that they believe, but are not certain, that she is a misting. Generally, the notebook tracks skaa and nobles thought to be Seekers, includes theories about the nobles linked to the skaa allomancers, and includes a few skaa thought to be other kinds of mistings. There is a special symbol noting skaa who've been detected giving off allomantic pulses but their particular aptitudes have not been identified. Mateo notes that a few of the nobles tracked in the notebook are also marked with that symbol. Curious.
Feb 3, 2016 5:37 pm
"OK, this is good. We can leave now. The question being, do we leave tonight or play this out? You think you need more than a few hours tomorrow? My instinct says to leave now, but I'm not sure."
Feb 3, 2016 6:39 pm
I should definitely stay and play this out. It is vital that I do nothing to cast suspicion on myself, otherwise my position within the Canton of Finance may be compromised. I shall expedite tomorrow's efforts as quickly as I can.
Feb 3, 2016 7:27 pm
Hiram led Lynch back to where the dockworkers were. When they left toward the plantation with their load of water, the two of them followed, keeping close enough to hear the workers through the mists and gauge where they were at, but not close enough to be noticed.
Feb 4, 2016 2:48 am
Daclish frowns, concentrating to recall the details of the chemical lab setup. Surely someone will know what was happening here, but he can't spare the time to do more than memorize what he sees. Satisfied that he can describe the setup as best he can to someone who might be able to glean information from it, he smashes the set up by throwing the heavy books at them. He replaces the key in the exact place he found it, then takes the woman's hand. "Time to go. Try to follow me lead and be as quiet as you can as soon as we leave here."

He then sneaks back out the way he came with her in tow.
Feb 5, 2016 3:47 pm
"Alright, I'll try to find the others and let them know we found what we were looking for and are staying to maintain your cover."

With that Dez makes her way out to find any other Crew members and tell them the news.
OOC:
Rolling the same sneak roll as before, GM feel free to adjust if need be.
Last edited February 5, 2016 3:47 pm

Rolls

Wits - (4d6)

(5662) = 19

Drive & Profession - (2d6)

(56) = 11

Feb 5, 2016 3:55 pm
Outside - Hiram and Lynch
The men load up a cart and take the barrels towards the house. They veer off the track just before and roll it around to the back. Then, they unchain a storm cellar door that was concealed behind some light brush. Once the door is open they start unloading the barrels and moving them into the cellar.

Inside - Daclish (and Dez)
Daclish leads the woman out of the basement and back into the main area of the house. He starts to make his way back towards the entrance they had come in via when Dezire lurks up behind him and grasps his hand, "This way." she pushes Daclish and the woman he is with, who nearly panics as Dez interrupts them, into a narrow corridor. Dez claps a hand to the woman's mouth and a moment later the shadow of a guard paces through the room they were just in.
OOC:
All of Dez's nudges got spent making it so Daclish didn't have to roll stealth
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.