Against the Cult: The Next Day (1.2)

load previous
Mar 15, 2016 3:12 pm
Quest and Durren see the lantern whip around as, up ahead, Xana slips out of the darkness right in front of Abel, scaring him mightily. He's been approaching the light that she can now also see some distance down the road, but he's been doing it with a growing dread ever since his companions completely vanished. "W-where did you come f-from?" he stammers, and then, realizing his mistake, weakly adding an honorific, "...A-amazing Lady?"

Meanwhile, his former companions, Ogbar and Aanbo, are at the wagon in

Round four

Ogbar attempts to club Jonbon on the temple with his handaxe, but the blow glances off of his pate as the minstrel twists in his grasp like a snake. His eyes wild and furious, showing whites all around, Jonbon stabs at Ogbar. Clearly the attack is one of desperation rather than proficiency, as the dagger sinks into the barbarian's side, glancing off a rib with each shallow cut.
OOC:
With Ogbar's rage still in effect, that's only 1 point of damage.

Aanbo's turn.

Rolls

Stabbing dagger, damage on hit - (1d20+2, 1d4+2)

1d20+2 : (13) + 2 = 15

1d4+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

Mar 15, 2016 4:26 pm
Aanbo grunts as he sees Elista's non-reaction. He stands and hops down from the wagon, and approaches the barbarian and minstrel. Like the two combatants, Aanbo's mind is a conflict between opposing trains of thought.

One side wins out over the other, and Aanbo lunges at Jonbon with two rapid strikes of his fists. He seeks to incapacitate, a compromise settled with the urge to kill.

Rolls

Unarmed vs Jonbon - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d20+5 : (7) + 5 = 12

1d4+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Bonus action, Unarmed vs Jonbon - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d20+5 : (10) + 5 = 15

1d4+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Mar 16, 2016 2:15 pm
"Don't worry about a thing. We've got this handled." I continue moving towards the light in the distance.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Mar 16, 2016 3:53 pm
Round four, completed

spaceseeker19 sent a note to CancerMan
Aanbo walks forward to the pair wrestling on the front of the wagon. Ogbar's hand is still clenched on Jonbon's jaw, but Jonbon is wriggling mightily, trying desperately to deflect or avoid the chopping head of the axe while stabbing repeatedly at the barbarian. Aanbo dodges a few wild swings and rains punches on the minstrel to some effect.

Xana, running up to the wagon, can just see the shadows of figures dancing or fighting in the light of a swinging lamp through the canvas of the wagon's covering. With a dash she can be within 25 feet of the combatants this next round (roll initiative).

Quest and Durren, having recovered their breath somewhat, draw abreast of Abel. The farmer is beginning to trot forward in pursuit of the gnome (Xana), whom he can clearly see sprinting down the Road. If they wish, they can dash this round and be close enough to attempt ranged attacks on the shadowy figures in the wagon. Roll initiative. If attempted, ranged attacks will have disadvantage, as you'll be shooting at shadows through canvas.

Round five begins

Durren runs after Xana toward the wagon, too.

Rolls

Durren's initiative - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Mar 16, 2016 4:17 pm
I sprint, stopping once I get a good look at the shadows moving around as I contemplate what to do next.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Mar 18, 2016 7:56 am
Round five

Ogbar's turn.

Initiative order:
Ogbar (21)
Jonbon (21)
Xana (12)
Durren (8)
Aanbo (3)
Mar 18, 2016 11:41 am
Ogbar continues chopping at the man, seeking to knock him out (despite his better judgment).
Last edited March 18, 2016 11:41 am

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4, 1d6+4)

1d20+4 : (18) + 4 = 22

1d6+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Mar 18, 2016 7:40 pm
Ogbar clouts Jonbon in the head again with the side of his hatchet, cutting him only a little, and the man collapses, unconscious.
OOC:
Ogbar and/or Aanbo can roll an athletics check to attempt to catch his body, or just let him topple, as you wish.
Xana arrived quick enough to see this last part. Several moments later, Durren and Quest arrive, wheezing.
Mar 18, 2016 7:48 pm
OOC:
Doesn't Ogbar still have him grappled? So he's already held up, I think
Ogbar looks at the unconscious man in disgust before shoving him to the ground, "Here's your prisoner, little one," he says to Aanbo.
Mar 18, 2016 8:01 pm
"Check on the family," says Aanbo, letting the body fall as he points to the wagon. "They're all asleep, perhaps magically or drugged. See if knocking out this minstrel has broken that spell." The monk draws the rope from his pack and begins securing the unconscious man. He makes sure to tie the man's wrists behind the back and then searches through possessions to remove weapons, spell components or foci, and instruments.
Mar 18, 2016 8:03 pm
OOC:
Story-wise, I was thinking there was a difference between holding his head with one hand and supporting his full body weight, but you're right - mechanically, he was grappled still.
The barbarian releases Jonbon and shoves him. The man falls solidly from the wagon to the ground with a thump. Aanbo binds and searches the body. Jonbon has a handful of seals in a pouch (12 SP). He's also wearing a silver ring on his left hand. There's his dagger, which fell into the wagon when he was knocked out, and a second dagger in his boot. His lute, which fell when Ogbar first grabbed him, has been partially crushed at some point in the heated struggle.
Mar 18, 2016 8:08 pm
Aanbo will confiscate the the ring and both daggers, and he makes sure the damaged lute is out of reach. As a final gesture, he takes some cloth and forms a gag in the minstrel's mouth.
Mar 18, 2016 8:11 pm
Ogbar leaves Aanbo to inspect Jonbon as he goes to check the family.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Medicine - (1d20+0)

(20) = 20

Mar 18, 2016 8:15 pm
"Hello there! Glad to see that most of you are safe!"
Mar 18, 2016 9:27 pm
Ogbar flings the tarp the rest of the way off the Jarl family. He's convinced that the woman and her four children are dead at first, but then gives a start when the youngest, Wenderly, snores slightly. Thinking perhaps the corpses are reanimating through some necromantic ritual, Ogbar soon realizes his mistake. They've been drugged and are sleeping deeply, lugubriously stacked in their slumber like firewood. Checking each person's eyes, breath, and pulse, Ogbar is convinced that they've simply blacked out, much in the same way that even his despised-and-yet-respected chieftain Grognak has sometimes done when drinking too much of the fermented bear's blood-and-milk back home.

Durren and Quest catch their breath and join Xana at the wagon. "What willst he with these poor farmers?" Durren asks, looking at the gagged and bound minstrel with distaste.
Mar 18, 2016 9:30 pm
Ogbar climbs out from the wagon, "They're still alive, but he did something to them to make them sleep."
Mar 18, 2016 11:01 pm
"Yes, and I hope to wake them soon," says Aanbo. "Let's see if this minstrel has anything on his person or in his belongings that would indicate the manner in which he has incapacitated them."

As he searches Jonbon again, he casually asks, "Where is Abel?"

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Mar 18, 2016 11:42 pm
Durren points down the road, rather unhelpfully, seeing as how Aanbo is not looking in his direction. Abel comes walking up slowly, dreading what he's going to find. "What is it, A-admirable Glories? What has happened? Are they here? Are they well?"
Mar 18, 2016 11:44 pm
"Abel!" calls Aanbo. "They are safe, but asleep. Whether drugged or magical, we're trying to determine." The monk sighs, and runs his hand across his eyes. "It's late. Can we safely return to your farm, Abel? Or do we make camp here?"
Mar 22, 2016 12:26 am
Abel grins broadly at Aanbo's report. "Praise be to Merikka!" and then he looks concerned. "But...is it the same sickness that Devek has?"

He tugs at his forelock. "Please, Potent Enormities, forgive the imposition of one who has already asked so much. I fear I am not equipped to handle the rigors of the Dim Forest without stout stone walls around me. On my own, I would that we were home. But with the strapping arms of such a valorous crew, I could sleep outdoors, despite owlbears...if you were willing to extend your protection to include my family and me."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.