Chapter 1, Day 4: Return to Drellin's Ferry

Feb 11, 2016 4:59 pm
You wake in the morning, rested and refreshed. Your next significant task is to transport the substantial stash of gold and dragon hide to Drellin's Ferry... As you debate how to proceed Jorr reminds you of an unfortunate fact, "While the bridge at the gorge is destroyed, that will only delay the advance of this hoard. They can still use the Old Forest road to cross into the woods, and their path will almost certainly bring them through Drellin's Ferry."
Feb 11, 2016 5:06 pm
Pawetha thinks back to the layout of the town and its militia. "Can Drellin's Ferry fend off such an army's advance?" she asks aloud. "No walls... only a river between hordes of hobgoblins supported by dragons and who knows what else?"
Feb 11, 2016 5:07 pm
"Shouldn't we warn people? Unless we want to take them all on ourselves..."
Feb 12, 2016 12:00 am
After remaining in quiet contemplation over the implicatins of dragons mixing with lesser races for some fiendish scheme for quite some time, I speak with only a simple statement supportive of my comrade's thoughts. "Yes, we should at the very least warn those in the most immediately danger. But what next? We have delayed their forces. How to eliminate this threat? That is our next course."
Feb 12, 2016 12:29 am
"It won't be by ourselves, that's for certain," says Pawetha. "We'd need an army of our own."

The ranger recalls the map. "There was an order to the Red Hand's march. The last location to attack was Brindol, which has walls. Presumably this is the seat of power in the region? We can warn everyone along the way, evacuate to Brindol or at least get word to whomever's in charge, and maybe they have, or can muster, an army."
Feb 16, 2016 7:47 pm
"Yeah, right, so we tell a bunch of people and warn them and then we go after the army?" I'm somewhat following her train of thought, but mostly I'm thinking about what part of the dragon to use as my trophy. What would look most impressive around my neck? Hmmmm.
Feb 17, 2016 3:52 am
"If Brindol has the best defenses, then we must look to move as many people there as quickly as possible," Zaris says, walking up to Paws. "What about Nimon Gap?" the wizard asks. "The map notations seem to indicate that they have no interest in that area. Perhaps we could shelter people there and hide them?" Zaris lets the question hang in the air. He turns back towards the remains of the dragon laying on the ground.
Feb 17, 2016 7:32 am
"The Red Hand has no interest in burning it to the ground, but that doesn't mean they won't pass through," says Pawetha. "The march is clearly marked along the Dawn Way, and I fear anyone caught in their path will meet a terrible end.

"Let's not forget that other settlements are noted. Their map would indicate that they're probably planning to attack Brindol from multiple sides. I'd guess they'd also come from the north along the Rhest Trail and take Witchcross, Red Rock, and Elsircross. Another force would hit from the south by first taking Dauth and Prosser. I think we'll need to warn Drellin's Ferry and see if they can't send any messengers to these far places, while we help evacuate the citizens.

"As for ourselves, maybe once we get things moving, we can act as skirmishers and scouts. Get some definite numbers and the composition of their army, and perhaps delay their advance by eliminating their officers, cutting their supply lines, or otherwise redirecting their approach similar to how we took down that bridge?"

Pawetha sighs and shakes her head, somewhat at a loss as she brainstorms ideas. She turns to Jorr. "Which way does the river run past Brindol and Drellin's Ferry? Could they expect the Red Hand to advance from the water?"
Feb 17, 2016 3:07 pm
Jorr shrugs, "The river cuts to the North of Brindol, passing north of Talir and directly through Elsircross. If they attack from Elsircross as you predict, they will likely reach it by water. We should continue this conversation as we return to Drellen's Ferry. This threat is such that any time spent idle means more lives lost."

The ranger begins to pack up his few things and prepare for the journey back through the woods to the town. He offers to help carry any wealth and valuables that he can, insisting that leaving anything behind will only provide fuel for the hoard.
OOC:
This is another way of me saying, any loot or goods you stored in the vault, you can bring them along at least to Drellen's Ferry. There you may have to sell, trade or arrange a proper wagon and horse or two for carrying your growing hoard.
Feb 17, 2016 9:06 pm
The trek back through the woods is uneventful. You arrive back in Drellen's Ferry in the mid afternoon. You return by the main road, and find the village peacefully alive with its daily routines, the inhabitants blissfully unaware of the hoard bearing down upon them..

Drellen's Ferry
OOC:
You are at the "I" in the top left corner of the map.
Feb 17, 2016 9:27 pm
A calm falls over Zaris as he walks back into the sounds of civilization, as limited as it is in a place as small as Drellen's Ferry. "Jorr, do you know anyone in town that may be able to muster a militia of sorts?" Zaris frowns slightly as he asks his question, already sensing the answer to be no.
Feb 17, 2016 9:39 pm
The ranger shrugs, "Haven't been in Drellen's for a long time I'm afraid." As he says it Zaris remembers Sorana, captain of the guard, had met with them when Norro Wiston, town speaker, had recruited them to deal with the aggressive hogoblin tribe.. he also recalls the speaker had requested that they keep the dawn way open... Either way, Sorana, or perhaps Wiston, would be the people to talk to about mustering a militia.
Feb 17, 2016 9:46 pm
"Wait, Jorr! Quiet!" Zaris shouts, tossing his head back in remembrance. "Sorana may have the connections we need." Zaris turns towards his comrades. "Who's coming with me to talk to Sorana?
Feb 17, 2016 11:11 pm
"We all may need to go," says Pawetha, hefting her pack and securing the weight. The load is starting to grind on her shoulders and she would be glad to find a reputable smith in this place. "Jorr, you know this area well enough to lend your thoughts on where the Red Hand would advance. We've also got these documents indicating their organization and some... oof, evidence of draconic beasts in alliance."
Feb 18, 2016 2:11 am
"Very well then. Let's get there sooner rather than later," Zaris replies.
Last edited February 18, 2016 2:12 am
Feb 18, 2016 9:31 pm
It having been decided you press on pass the small farms, take the hand-pulled ferry across the river. As you only visited the tavern and inn before, you had to ask where to find Sorana or Norro Wiston. None of the townsfolk or guards are certain where Sorana is, as she frequently visits the guards around the town - she's a very active captain of the guard. However, Norro is often at his home and you are directed there (building "3") on the map. You find two guards posted outside, but when they see you one goes inside and Norro steps out to greet you. He sends the other guard to fetch Sorana, and invites you in.

The house is modest, but nice. It is clear Norro is one of the more important people in Drellen's Ferry. You are seated around a small table, and his wife serves you each a warm cup of tea before returning to tending his children. He sits across from you and folds his hands, "So, what news have you?"
Feb 18, 2016 9:51 pm
"The name's Xara. We've killed a dragon to protect you fine folk, but I'm afraid there's an army coming. You might want to tell others to get prepared. What sort of tea is this?" I take a sip. "That's not too bad."
Last edited February 18, 2016 9:51 pm
Feb 19, 2016 2:10 am
Norro's brow furrows, "A dragon? I'm glad you made it through. I was not aware there were any in either the woods or the Wyrmsmoke mountains. An army though? That seems exaggerated. Certainly you mean no more than a hundred or so hobgoblins. With Soranna, and the miltia, and of course your help. You bested a dragon after all! We can defend the village." As he says that Soranna enters the building, behind her another woman. The second woman is tall, broad-shouldered and wears her blonde-grey hair pulled back in a single braid.

The guard captain nods, and takes a seat. The other woman sits beside her, announcing herself as Delora Zann, owner of the livery stable. Those of you who are aware of renowned adventurers recognize Delora's name almost immediately as the same name as one member of the Golden Drake Company. A now disbanded, but rather famous, group of adventurer's whose exploits you may have grown up hearing about.
Feb 19, 2016 3:06 am
"All hobgoblin tribes have gathered under the mantle of the Red Hand," says Pawetha, unfurling the map. "The dragon was working for the horde, and guarding the Skull Gorge Bridge to expedite the army's march." She jabs a finger at Vraath Keep and adds, "They had advance scouts performing reconnaissance right at your doorstep, and there are bugbears, worgs, and manticores in their ranks."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.