Before we get started...

Dec 7, 2014 5:23 pm
Hey guys, thanks for signing up. I'm gonna ask people don't add characters yet; I'm waiting for the books from Savage Mojo to see if there are any details you'll need for chargen. Also being we're starting at a high level, we'll need to discuss some backgrounds. However, feel free to get char ideas started here. I believe a few of you already have a good idea of what you want to play?
Dec 7, 2014 7:40 pm
Ideally if the setup in the books allows for it I'd like to play a full level 17 Inquisitor, of a good aligned god/dess that gives me access to the Glory subdomain. But we'll see how that works out.
Dec 7, 2014 8:08 pm
I've never played high level Pathfinder, so that will be new for me (I've played several games, but only one got to level 12) - looking forward to seeing how the system feels at level 17!

As for character ideas, I'm always the guy who fills the gap in the party (and then makes something absurd and strange if there is no gap). I tend towards Monks and Druids in D20srd based systems such as Pathfinder, but I can make just about anything fun-for-me (which is why I fill gaps).
Dec 8, 2014 4:02 pm
Ok, so got some clarifications. We're starting at 15, not 17. Not a huge deal. I got a copy of the Tome of the Lich Queen book, which I'm gonna start reading. I also recommend you go to Savage Mojo, to their Dungeonlands section. They have a bunch of freebies that can give you some ideas for characters.

So we're going for level 15, 240,000 starting gold. While spending that gold, I want you to think of 1 "special" item. You've each been adventuring for a while, so you've likely found an item unlike others in the world. It should be appropriate for a level 12 character or below. If you can't think of anything, make your standard build, and make sure you write out a character background. Whether you come up with an idea yourself or I do, either way I will be the one making your item, you should just have a concept on what you'd like.
Dec 9, 2014 1:37 am
Its awesome that we got a full group, I still haven't gotten a chance to read through all of the core rules but I think I would like to play a halfling bard if no one has any objections.

I still haven't decided on spells but I think a halfling slingstaff and dagger would be my weapons of choice, with a chain shirt for armor. Probably going to want one of those to be my "special" item, but something like jewelry or musical instrument with a special ability isn't out of the question.
Dec 9, 2014 2:20 am
A special instrument could be fun. Maybe something we can do with the slingstaff as well.
Dec 9, 2014 4:11 am
Considering my character's nature as an inquisitor a particularly special holy symbol would make sense, though I'm not entirely sure how that works mechanically in terms of item powers. The other option probably being a holy symbol that doubles as a weapon, a la a mace or morningstar with the holy symbol etched into it in gold filigree or something to that effect. Which I could then quite justifiably stat up as a Holy weapon.
Dec 9, 2014 4:19 am
A holy symbol with powers or that enhances your abilities could work. Go ahead and think a bit about it. What weapons do you plan on using?
Dec 9, 2014 4:19 am
Just reviewing the Pathfinder material, I've got to make a Monk. Level 15 means I'll get to have access to all of the cool class traits I always looked forward to when I rolled a monk.

Not sure on race, or background - but I may have something I can borrow from a different RPG. An L5R character that never got off the ground, but I always wanted to explore. He is a former member of a group of warrior monks bent on overthrowing the empire, he encountered a monk who walked the Path of Man (a special mode of meditation that is focused on the self and ascension instead of the elemental spirits) and for all of his combat prowess could not lay a finger on the man. Driven, by his orders creed, to win no matter the cost, he abandoned his group and became a Henshin (the group that follows the path of man). I'll have to revisit the character background and adapt it, but I may just do that.

Races on the docket: Changeling(?) or, from core, Gnome (because seriously, a Gnome Monk is hilarious!)
Dec 9, 2014 5:13 am
@Candi a Gnome Monk would be awesome. I can just see the antics, especially from a monk solely focused on self enlightenment. The body control and lightning fast reflexes would be awesome.
Dec 9, 2014 5:26 am
Mace or morningstar, haven't decided yet.
Dec 9, 2014 6:06 am
@JoHoover Yeah, I found this image and I became sold on the Gnome. Go figure, the last time I played Pathfinder I was also a Gnome. Guess I just like me my Gnomes :)

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/197/0/f/pathfinder___mimzy_za_by_yuikami_da-d57gwy0.jpg

(Image is huge so I just linked to it instead of embedding)
Last edited December 9, 2014 6:07 am
Dec 9, 2014 6:11 am
I also haven't played a high level character before either - haven't gotten past 7 or 8 so far. ;) I have much fun playing barbarians, but also clerics/healers, often multiclass. (I've got a quite fun cleric of Sarenrae/rogue Swashbuckler right now, in a Paizo Adventure Path, aiming at a Riftwarden prestige class.) But I'm flexible. I have the PF core rulebook, and several of the others (Advanced PG, Ultimate Combat and Magic, etc.)
Last edited December 9, 2014 6:34 am
Dec 9, 2014 6:13 am
@Keleth - how are you doing character stats? Dice rolls or point buy system?

@Candi - That is some amazing art. now you have inspired me to find something cool for a Halfling Bard :-)
Last edited December 9, 2014 6:15 am
Dec 9, 2014 1:01 pm
Ah, right, stats. 80 points distribution, 1:1.
Dec 9, 2014 1:25 pm
That's 1 point is 1 increase to the stat? Starting from zero I take it?
Dec 9, 2014 1:55 pm
Yeah, standard distro gives you an 18, 16, 14, 12, and two 10s, and you can adjust from there.
Dec 9, 2014 4:52 pm
Hey out of curiosity, what's the pitch for the starting party? Are we a recently-formed adventuring party or have we been working together for a few levels?
Dec 9, 2014 7:11 pm
Making some progress - Gnome Monk with Flowing Monk Alternate Class Features (contemplating a Vow of Truth to go with it). Tomorrow I'll start putting the statistics for this together.

As for a magic item, I'm liking that strange wrench/hammer thing in the picture I'm using for inspiration. Maybe a Monk Implement of some kind (are there monk implements in this system? I may be thinking of 13th Age), or weapon (because as a small monk my unarmed attacks leave something to be desired). Probably something of her own fashioning - while she may not have made it herself, it would have been made to her specifications. Depending on how it is swung and/or held, the shape of the head changes - sometimes it forms a "c" shape which is useful for catching a limb and redirecting it, sometimes it's a solid block of metal useful for bludgeoning, sometimes its more flat that bulky, useful for pushing foes around (and so on). I'm thinking, something that provides benefits to various combat maneuvers (I'm going to be feat-invested in Trip and Reposition at least, may also get Disarm and Feint feats as well).

The idea is that, as a "flowing monk" she has a weapon that suits her style - a weapon which changes form to suit the flow of the encounter (and her specific needs - be they offensive, defensive, tripping, repositioning, disarming or feinting).
Last edited December 9, 2014 7:12 pm
Dec 9, 2014 7:26 pm
Ok, I like that overall Candi. I can decide specific functionality once I see your feats/abilities.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.