Character creation discussion

Feb 24, 2016 3:21 pm
What do you want to play? How did you all come together? Discuss!
Feb 24, 2016 3:25 pm
Can you delete that other thread? V.V My bad.

I'm up for playing what the party needs but for this movie project Star Wars EOTE: The Bitter Divide (TBD) what do you see yourself being type casted to play? I don't have the books in front of me but the only thing I probably won't be playing is a Colonist Doctor what the gloomy brooding type with a big boom stick... because I've already made him for another game.
Feb 24, 2016 5:01 pm
well, I was about to say that I wanted to play a colonial doctor who is a bitter refugee from imperial racism...

so what I have plotted out so far:

female twi'lek doctor, was top of her game on Coruscant, did a lot of good. then the empire comes in, seizes her assets, accuses her of something... whatever, basically because they're a bunch of fascist racists.. she has to escape to the outer rim and the only way she can do that with all of her assets seized is to made a deal with a criminal syndicate.

now what I'm on the fence about is the nature of her obligation. she could just be in debt to criminals because they covered her passage to the outer rim, or she could have a bounty on her head because the criminal syndicate lied to her about just paying for her passage and when she arrived on the outer rim she was actually being sold into slavery. when the game starts she could have already escaped or the first part of the game could be meeting the other characters and they help her escape in true star wars fashion.

as for the game, I'm ok with us being on the run or criminals in our own right. I don't know how using two different systems like obligation and whatever the jedi use are going to work, but that's why I'm not the GM.

what are everyone else's thoughts?
Last edited February 24, 2016 5:07 pm
Feb 24, 2016 5:21 pm
I say go for it, my doctor was more of the voice of doom, glass half full type (Is it poison? You're trying to kill me aren't you? *Cries a little and feels pathetic*) Who gets a Jedi angry! As for obligations there's a table in the core rulebook to roll off if you're looking for other ideas. Were you going to be a smarty doctor type that was good with a blaster or good with talking to people? Both?
Last edited February 24, 2016 5:24 pm
Feb 24, 2016 5:23 pm
yeah, I could roll, but those two seemed the most compelling to me.
Feb 24, 2016 5:24 pm
Like Remnant I'm interested in anything I'm not already playing in another game. I've got an Archaeologist Force Exile in another EotE game (he provides knowledge, and flexible aptitude to the party), and a purely positive social character (almost entirely Charm, in fact) in an AoE game. I had a negative social pilot (intimidation) in a FaD game, but that's on hiatus for an unknown duration.

So, that means things like slicer and weapons expert (if I go this way there's a good chance I'll go demolitions, because that's just way more interesting to me than firing a blaster). But, I'm happy to fill a void as well.
Feb 24, 2016 5:42 pm
we might need someone handy with weapons, depending on what remnant wants to play. do we need to agree on what time this game takes place? I was thinking sometime between episode 3 and 4, after the empire is formed but before the battle of yavin. what do you guys think?
Feb 24, 2016 7:13 pm
I'd be inclined to put this post Episode IV but before Episode V. That allows me to hook it into one or two of my other campaigns with crossover in the future.
Feb 24, 2016 7:16 pm
Something to consider about this crew -- how would you define it's alignment on the Evil Good spectrum? I think of Han and Chewie as good-to-neutral and cad bane as being more neutral-to-evil and hondo as pretty much straight neutral. :)
Feb 24, 2016 7:21 pm
I would say good-to-neutral? my character's motivations are to regain her status and possibly strike out at the empire. she's also a doctor, so she'd be concerned with helping people as well...
Feb 25, 2016 1:31 pm
falryx, are you willing to let us use careers from outside EotE? I ask because a jedi Sentinel (Shadow/Shien Expert), a sort of 'jedi rogue/spy' I think could be very fun (and is different from all my other FFGSW chars, but will still be more than just a blade/blaster).
Feb 25, 2016 3:04 pm
I did a random roll and I'm looking at a Bounty Hunter now, maybe I'm assembling a crew since I find people with bounties that are hard to find and bring them back alive? That usually takes a long time, and having a doctor along will probably help keep them alive. I'm thinking Neutral but works under his own set of rules that he'll stick to regardless of the situation. Kind of like the transporter.
Feb 25, 2016 3:58 pm
it might be fun to work as part of a bounty hunter's entourage. remnant's character could have rescuced my character from slavery and she'd stick with him since she has no clue how to survive in the outer rim and she can't go home
Feb 25, 2016 6:09 pm
I'm thinking of going more towards the Survivalist or Gadgeteer Specialization. "Non-lethal don't mean it don't hurt bub."
Feb 25, 2016 6:12 pm
and a doctor can make sure that everything stays non lethal, can do chemical restraint, and patch up the team after a firefight.
Feb 25, 2016 6:17 pm
Sometimes an arm comes off... they're still alive.

I read Chemical Restraint as making the query high as a kite once captured, they'd escape but licking the wall is really an 'experience'
Feb 25, 2016 6:18 pm
nah, chemical restraint is using drugs to make sure they stay unconscious
Feb 25, 2016 8:48 pm
I kind of figure due to the whole galactic hippocratic oath.

So update I did some reading, I think I'm going with a Noghri Bounter hunter that goes by the handle Green Mamba, he strikes quick and he can be lethal but he prefers to make it more challenging by bringing in bounties alive. If the client executes them at the drop off no big deal, I got paid I mean I haven't fainted after it happened lately... Hey let me tell you something, you ever see someone throw acid on someone's face and watch it melt... It's like a victim icepop.

So it'll be a cross between a darker vigilante Batman/someone constantly upgrading their kit and armor (Ironmanish) in a green and yellow theme maybe a camo add-on, and Kevin Hart since this race is usually around 5' to 5'6" and he probably has a chip on his shoulder due to his hit and people taking him serious.
Feb 25, 2016 9:02 pm
aren't the noghri the ones that worship darth vader?
Feb 25, 2016 9:08 pm
After googling nope he did do some A-holish stuff to get them onboarded onto the empire's side until they figured out the bamboozling.
Feb 25, 2016 9:11 pm
@ Candi
Any idea what you'd like to play yet? Darth has the smart sensible role under control, I have the angle for why we'd take odd missions and the passive aggressive role plus comedy relief.
Feb 25, 2016 9:13 pm
Still waiting to here if FaD is allowed. If it is, I'd like to make a Togruta Sentinel Shadow/Shien Expert. Basically, a force-fuelled infiltrator.
Feb 25, 2016 9:18 pm
and I See that there's still only 3 of us. are we waiting for 4 players or is it cool to start with 3 and add more later if we get interested parties?

oh crap, this means I need to read the character creation rules, doesn't it?
Feb 25, 2016 9:21 pm
Pick a race, pick a career, pick a specialization, spend XP (and XP expenses are easy too, there's a chart that explains them), then spend money. Hardest part, of course, is spending XP and money.
Feb 25, 2016 9:23 pm
I get the feeling that my character will be doing a lot of eye rolling in this game....
Feb 25, 2016 9:24 pm
Well eventually yeah. I think the other player who was looking at the game was doing the same Candit wondering about if they could play a FaD character or just force sensitive. From the other mix game I wonder if some of your conflict will steam from stuff the non Jedi do...
Feb 25, 2016 9:42 pm
Yeah. Not sure how she'd shape up personality wise - I actually tend to like just rolling on the tables for Conflict / Destiny whatever it's called when I get to the end then retroactively come up with a personality / ideal / drive that brings together what I built mechanically and what I rolled thematically.
Feb 25, 2016 9:55 pm
I'm still very new to the system, would a force user with destiny and conflict and all that stuff work out with characters with obligations and such? and why the hell are we travelling with so many force users instead of turning them in for the bounty?
Feb 25, 2016 10:11 pm
Maybe they're useful ;)

And yes, the 'three systems' are actually variations of the same core system, and the books integrate almost seamlessly.
Feb 25, 2016 10:26 pm
in other star wars games, the jedi are raging combat monsters and totally throw off the balance of the game. I don't have force and destiny, are jedi more balanced this time around?
Feb 25, 2016 10:29 pm
As far as I've seen, yes they are quite balanced. Also, if the parties only real combat comes from a jedi or two, it's probably ok for us that lightsabers are a bit on the crazy side (mostly the thing with them is that they ignore armour).
Last edited February 25, 2016 10:30 pm
Feb 26, 2016 12:33 am
I'd say they're balanced to a point and it needs to be brought up beforehand with an agreement for the group as a whole if we're spliting half and half it seems. Every class and build can be in the same game but if you have AoR PCs want all starfighter and vehicle combat, FaD want to mow down stuff with their lightsabers, and EotE want something else entirely since that's what they built to it's really three different games butting heads for screentime. Someone is going to take two ranks in thumb twiddling for free I feel.

Via one of the games I was playing in (Candi you know the one) one was a Jedi who was 'good' so our actions were going to be questionable to say the least, the other was more of a force using combat monkey from what I read through the game threads who didn't like the order for his own reason and how they did things so he was pretty much a Lightsaber wood chipper. Which is great if everyone just wants to melt face I guess.

But it'll break the party up and situations for balance I think and if that's the case it's pretty much two seperate games with some RPing together now and then, that's doable in truth but that's a lot of extra on the GM if you think about it. If half the group always pulls lightsabers first due to breach (ignores 10 points of armor/soak) it means combat will have stronger enemies or droids I figure or we're facing other lightsaber users to balance things out I figure. As someone playing a non-Jedi I'd probably chuck a deuce when combat starts and lightsabers come out and be off doing something else to feel useful or just bow out of the game.

Personally if most of the group wanted to play force users I'd say if the GM and players are cool with it make it a force centric game. Since I'm already in one of those though I'll probably withdraw. I think there's two more people that wanted to play and there's one slot so that works out for me if I bow out.
Feb 26, 2016 12:47 am
I see your point, but really, if we're building a team the way you should (non-overlapping expertise), if you have a lightsaber combat character in the party their *job* is to do the awesome combat thing. If your character isn't built for combat, then whether or not there's a jedi in the bunch you're going to feel less useful in a fight (in two of the games I'm in that are active my characters are social characters. When blasters start firing, I tend to hide and let the brawlers and shooters take care of it. They do the same when it comes to investigation/conversation, where my character's shine and I take centre stage).

Anyway. I'm not keen on making a 'lightsaber woodchipper'. I was planning to use a lightsaber, but mostly because our crew so far is a bounty hunter and a doctor. Figured someone with a 'breach' melee weapon with a focus on blaster deflection might prove useful (and because then I could build the character around one stat: Cunning; but only if I use a ligthsaber).

That said, I'm happy to not go that route if you feel that a lightsaber in the house might edge in on your character's territory in terms of expertise (honestly, jedi are 'balanced' fine, the big issue is the sabers and specifically breach). To be honest, I'd be surprised if falryx let someone start with a lightsaber anyway. In whcih case, I'd go for a straight up Sentinel/Shadow built to be a force using ninja and rely on a blaster for fights if it comes to it (but, in fact, build more towards non-combat oriented stuff; knowledge underworld and sneaking about).
Feb 26, 2016 12:54 am
the way I see it, it all comes down to theme.

at the time period we're playing, a force user would be insane to whip out a lightsaber at their first encounter with opposition. they're in hiding, the empire will pay good money for their capture and nobody ever sees them again. I'm thinking about the first season of star wars rebels where kanan and ezra pull the sabers when the opposition is really overwhelming. they mostly use blasters when they have to fight. everyone in the crew can fight somewhat and the jedi are usually deflecting bolts to keep everyone safe and cover their escapes.

I think force users would work in the game as long as we all have good synergy. my character will probably be crap in a fight, and that's ok. jedi are more useful in close combat and bounty hunters are better at range. besides, it just wouldn't be star wars if the party wasn't forced to split up due to an inquisitor showing up or a blast door shutting.
Feb 26, 2016 12:54 am
Going without a lightsaber saved me 35 XP, it's nice not buying a second specialization at creation ;)

Here's the build I've got tentatively for a Togruta Shadow (focus is on infiltration, clearly, with a competency at computers to fill a partial gap in the team).
Last edited February 26, 2016 12:55 am
Feb 26, 2016 2:22 am
so I was thinking about my obligation, and I was originally going to go with bounty since I was an escaped slave. would that make sense with her working with a bounty hunter? how would that work? would it be better to take another obligation, like debt and just be stranded in the out rim until we meet each other? suggestions?
Feb 26, 2016 2:24 am
Could be that the bounty hunter doesn't know about your bounty, or maybe the hunter owes you for saving their life (or regards you as a more useful member of the crew than as a few credits for cashing your head in), or maybe the hunter doesn't work with or for whomever has the bounty out on you for personal reasons (or other reasons). Lots of ways to make a bounty as an obligation work with a bounty hunting crew.
Feb 26, 2016 2:28 am
oh, I like the idea of the bounty being a secret for at least a little while. good roleplaying/character development fodder.

anyway, here's what I got so far for my character
Last edited February 26, 2016 3:02 am
Feb 26, 2016 3:30 pm
@ Darth did you click the book on your character list to add it to the library so it's viewable by others?
Feb 26, 2016 5:02 pm
Looks good! The only 'build advice' I've noticed is common for this game is to increase Attributes at creation (since you can't do so afterwards) and it looks like you did that :)

(posting as character to see how the picture cropping I did works out)
Feb 26, 2016 5:03 pm
so far this is shaping up to sound like it will be a very exciting game. I can't wait to get started!
Feb 26, 2016 5:12 pm
I need to tweak the picture and have the money to actually buy the armor but I think I'm done for now.
Feb 26, 2016 5:38 pm
oh! what ship are we all going to fly in? I've always been partial to the YT-2400
Feb 26, 2016 5:56 pm
That might be part of the first arc/adventure.
Feb 27, 2016 7:09 pm
Candi says:
falryx, are you willing to let us use careers from outside EotE? I ask because a jedi Sentinel (Shadow/Shien Expert), a sort of 'jedi rogue/spy' I think could be very fun (and is different from all my other FFGSW chars, but will still be more than just a blade/blaster).
Yes -- so long as you guys find a happy way to be operating on the moral edge. :)
Feb 27, 2016 7:20 pm
Sorry for the delay -- as I noted elsewhere I was travelling.

You guys made a lot of good progress. I think it's quite possible for a Jedi Shadow to fit with a bounty-hunting group, especially if the targets of the bounties tend to be "bad guys" rather than "good guys". A little more Robin Hood, if you will. The sentinel/shadow path seems very much like a borderline morality class due to their historic role.

I will confirm that a lightsaber-at-start is a no-go. Those things are worth something like 10,000 credits. You'll have to work for one if you want it. You may also need to think about whether or not it's a good idea to get the reputation for having a lightsaber. At some point the Empire will come knocking. That said, FaD have lots of careers/specs that aren't about being a woodchipper. The Force just guides their hand a bit in some of it. The big difference is the Force power availability and even those aren't hideously problematic until they get to be higher-level/investment. To make a truly badass Force user, you need to spend something like 400XP total.

Last up is me working on who our fourth will be. Kjmangle has dibs if we don't get another newbie. I'll poke that thread and see what the plan is.
Feb 27, 2016 7:25 pm
"I'm sorry. They go for how much? Is that like used or brand new? I not trying to steal one I'm just sayin' if I say happen to have found one could I sell it and get some creds? I mean it's not like they scribe their name on the side with laser etching right? No seriously do they?"
Feb 27, 2016 7:25 pm
I opted to go to 5 and offer Kjmangle and Friar Tuk a spot. If the new guy wants in I'll see if one of them wants to hand over a spot or consider taking us to 6. That said, 6 is borderline unwieldy for me.
Feb 27, 2016 7:50 pm
So I'm assuming that the characters we made are all acceptable? Like I said this my first eote game and I want to be sure I'm doing the math right.
Feb 27, 2016 7:53 pm
i'll double check -- but i suspect everything is fine. :)
Feb 27, 2016 8:03 pm
Ok -- looking at it, I don't think your character is complete.

So: Twi'lek: Colonist: Doctor

Br 1
Ag 2
In 2
Cu 2
Wi 2
Pr 3

Starting XP: 100
Obligation 10 (+10 XP)
Obligation 10 (+2500 CR)

So you should have 2500CR + base and 110XP on your character.

Int 2->3 (-30XP)
Int 3->4 (-40XP)

Skills:

Charm 1 (Species 1/1)
Charm 2 (Career 1/4)
Core world 1 (Career 2/4)
Education 1 (career 3/4)
Cool 1 (spec 1/2)
Medicine (spec 2/2)

Talent: Surgeon (-5 XP)
Talent: Grit (-5 XP)

XP Spent: 30 + 40 + 5 + 5 = 80/110. 30 XP left.
Skills spent: 3/4 career, 2/2 spec. 1 career skill left.
Feb 27, 2016 9:25 pm
hmm, I'l looking at the character creator I used, and it says everything is fine... I'll try using a different one later tonight
Feb 27, 2016 9:26 pm
falryx says:
The sentinel/shadow path seems very much like a borderline morality class due to their historic role.
That was precisely my thinking, morally flexible. Also, I tend to build force users around a single power I find interesting, my goal is never to obsolete the rest of the party (or even one other party member). This one is Misdirection.

And, I'd happily already decided to forgo Lightsabering. Who knows, maybe as we play it'll come up and I'll dip into Shien and get some blaster deflection going; but not today!

As far as I understand my character is built (just gotta spend credits).
Feb 27, 2016 11:28 pm
ok, as far as the obligation bonus go, I started with an obligation of 10 as the base for having 4-5 players, and I added 10 +5 for 5 xp and +5 for 1000 credits. that's probably where most of the confusion is

AND I didn't see that I have 2 medicine on me sheet.. I put 1 by mistake.. so that should cover any discrepancies... let me check again

EDIT: raised brawn to 2 and added resolve as a specialty. that should account for everything. on the character sheet I had 3 ranks of medicine and that threw everything off
Last edited February 27, 2016 11:38 pm
Feb 28, 2016 2:45 am
Ok sorry i didn't notice i was accepted. I have been busy last couple days but i will flip through the books for EotE and see what to be.

We have a healer and a striker correct? I've been a slicer, mechanic, medic, and maurader before so i will be looking for something different. I know One class I dont want to be is an entertainer... I dont think i can pull that one off.
Feb 28, 2016 2:52 am
you could be a gambler
Feb 28, 2016 3:07 am
I looked quick and saw politico, entrepreneur, demolition, and maybe outlaw tech. Not much into gambler.

2 slimy classes and 2 maybe crazy class.

I think i can make a character monday.
Last edited February 28, 2016 3:08 am
Feb 28, 2016 2:36 pm
If you want to look at AOR or FAD classes for ideas you can.
Feb 28, 2016 8:19 pm
Sorry all, just noticed this thread. Was watching email on the other thread, subscribed to this one now. Y'all made a lot of good progress.

Assuming there's a spot for me in this game, the character I've been developing is a Corellian Human Smuggler Gunslinger/Pilot. I took Gunslinger to start, with ranks in piloting and plans to take Pilot right away. A quick personality/morality breakdown: this character is cocky and brash; his number one goal is self improvement through adventure; on the "alignment" spectrum, I'd say neutral and chaotic, he values independence, self improvement, and freedom; he's not a hero, but he is brave, brash,and always up for a challenge (affection for underdogs). He abhors the Empire, and avoids official channels whenever possible.

I'll post a bit of background later this evening.
Feb 28, 2016 8:21 pm
Oh, and the Gambler specialization is from the Fly Casual supplement. I have a PDF if you'd like to look at it.

I have a background idea that would link is into having a starter ship. Likely why he's in the group; y'all need a ship and pilot to get anything done.
Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm
Rolled Morality and Obligation and Motivation, to see what I got. I'm driven to overthrow the empire, have a deep responsibility towards something and am impulsive (enthusiastic but reckless). As a Jedi trained Shadow, perhaps the obvious story is the easy one. My mentor was murdered by the Empire (perhaps betrayed in some way, as is the nature of our work as Shadows - betrayal is almost inevitable), and I'm half-motivated by revenge to see the Empire struck down. As, to my mind, the empire and the sith are one, I am committed to resisting the dark side (a constant internal struggle as I try to understand my drive for revenge through the lens of responsibility to the fallen, and to those unable to defend themselves).

It has been a series of (un)fortunate encounters and events that has led me to become a bounty hunter. The need for credits, the need to hide from the empire, a constant drive to challenge myself, and the need to discover something that will aid me in my drive to protect those from the empire who cannot or will not protect themselves. Trust is hard for me, but so is isolation. Bounty Hunters, such as us, rely on each other to survive ordeals - once I found camaraderie that felt dependable, it became hard for me to leave. I still always, however, attentive to opportunities to thwart the empire.
Feb 29, 2016 4:26 am
A bit of background:

I'm thinking this character comes from a very large working class family. He was dissatisfied with the blue collar life expected of him, and ran away from home to seek adventure. What he found was the tough and harsh world of the Corellian smugglers trade. He got in with a gang, but never really liked his boss, who seemed to delight in giving him all the grunt work and never allowing him to do anything "fun" or "interesting". So, he got fed up, and stole a ship from the syndicate and ran off again. He has since sold that ship, and used the money to buy whatever starter ship we begin with (he favors fast and flashy over bulky and practical, but he also wouldn't have had much to spend). His goals in life are to outfly and outgun anyone and everyone. He wants to be the best pilot and best shot in the galaxy (he'll likely tell you he already is, but his actions speak to a burning desire to test and prove this).
Feb 29, 2016 8:39 pm
I havent got much but i will be a duros mechanic, kinda of a go with the flow character. Thinks things happen for a reason.

Was The mechanic for a gang. One day he was working inside smuggler ship to improve the speed modular, when he was knocked out when the ship took off. When he woke up he heard the sounds of the pilot sarcastically doing a conversation between him and his boss. From behind hesaid "so... Where are we going?" After a drawn pistol at his face and calming conversation the 2 began a partnership.
Feb 29, 2016 10:26 pm
So -- drawing some connections:

Remnant is a bounty hunter -- perhaps he's aided Oingo Boingo in some way to get her onboard her crew. Candi has gone bounty hunter. Friar_Tuk has a ship and Kjmangle is suggesting he got shanghai'd by Tuk's stolen ship.

Couple more connections we need to pull together -- I'd like to assume you've all been working together sufficiently long that you've decided you like one another and are sticking with it, versus "A new crew" that's been pulled together. Assume maybe a year or so (how does one measure a year in Star Wars, anyway?). Assume that the Death Star blew up ~0.5 years ago -- so it's something you've heard about -- along with rumors that the Empire's lapdog might be dead.
Feb 29, 2016 10:33 pm
it would work out that remnant is the one who could have saved me from slavery, or he was double crossed by a crime lord and I freed him from the brig in exchange for him taking me with him. candi and remnant could have been partners for years. we could have had a situation where we lost our old ship and that's how we hooked up with Kj and tuk.

I still need to add more notes to my char sheet but my character's motivation is to one day regain the status that she lost. that may not be possible under the empire, so she agrees with candi's hatred of the empire. in the mean time she is content to travel with everyone not just because they can keep her safe in the scary and dangerous outer rim, but she genuinely cares about the collection of mixed up misfits she's found herself with.
Feb 29, 2016 10:39 pm
I've heard a "Galactic Standard Year" referenced in many places. Here's way more than you'll ever want to know about time measurement in Star Wars: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Standard_Calendar

Turns out, calendar analysis is just as boring in a thoroughly done fantasy setting.

Who are you referring to by "Empire's lapdog"? Tarkin?

I'd prefer that we all know eachother to start, that "why are we even together" phase of a campaign is the worst. There was talk by @Remnant of his character "assembling" a crew to take in bounties. This crew build out makes sense; A bounty hunter, a sneaky infiltrator bounty hunter, a medic, a pilot and mechanic with a ship. Do we all want more detail than that? Do we want to hash out how and where we all met? Or just assume we've done a few jobs together and are comfortable working together as a crew?
Feb 29, 2016 11:04 pm
Friar_Tuk says:
Do we all want more detail than that? Do we want to hash out how and where we all met? Or just assume we've done a few jobs together and are comfortable working together as a crew?
Personally, I like to do that retroactively as we play. Characters making ribs, and references, to past jobs with each other slowly establishes the 'facts' (as interpreted by others ; ) ) of connections and relationships.
Feb 29, 2016 11:07 pm
Candi says:
Friar_Tuk says:
Do we all want more detail than that? Do we want to hash out how and where we all met? Or just assume we've done a few jobs together and are comfortable working together as a crew?
Personally, I like to do that retroactively as we play. Characters making ribs, and references, to past jobs with each other slowly establishes the 'facts' (as interpreted by others ; ) ) of connections and relationships.
I love that idea! and they do it in the movies too!

"this is what? 10 times I've saved your life"
"nine times. that one on Neidodemoidia doesn't count"
Mar 1, 2016 1:26 am
Yeah the improv yes and stories always work good.

Ok i still haven't made a character yet. Been busy at home and distracted. Promise to get started on some tonight.

I can make a a name and picutres and sumbit it and change it later correct?
Last edited March 1, 2016 1:26 am
Mar 1, 2016 1:26 am
A detailed biography of how you met and a backstory worthy of novelization isn't required -- but it's good to get some of the fundamentals in place and understood by everyone to provide the framework on how the "death worms don't count."
Mar 1, 2016 1:27 am
Yes -- you can change after you submit.

I'll probably review character sheets in more detail on Wed. tomorrow is Day of Travel so I won't be GPing.
Mar 1, 2016 2:29 am
Ok i got a name race and class. Fill out the rest tomorrow.
Mar 1, 2016 7:54 pm
Ok i have a question.

Do we need a Obligation?

I am never into have something that makes my player act different then the way I picture him or make me have to do something i dont like it in 5e either.

I bring this up because I dont know what to pick for an easy going, go with the flow type character. Only thing i think of is maybe Obession for the "thiings happen for a reason".
Mar 1, 2016 8:41 pm
obsession: thrill seeking?
Mar 1, 2016 8:46 pm
Are you playing a class from EotE? If so yes, you can roll randomly on the table if it rubs you the wrong way to pick. It's literally an Obligation in the fact that regardless of what you do it will pull you back in (did I just date myself with a quote?). It'll be part of your PC's backstory in a way so I think it comes up in the game if you're lucky. Sometimes is hilarious if you think about how it can affect things.

I look at characters like a GM looks at a planned game world. It'll change once the game starts sometimes like you expect other times totally out in left field from organic reaction to events.

The Big Heavy Chain Gun guy sees a small puppy and just says nope and leaves the room(Trauma from a kid) leaving the crew to wonder why the guy who isn't scared of anything just saw a puppy and left.
Mar 1, 2016 8:48 pm
and besides, an obligation doesn't have to dictate how your charcter acts or makes you have to make any major personality changes. you could be laid back and easygoing, but still owe a lot of money to a hutt.
Mar 1, 2016 8:52 pm
It's only not fun when we don't work at keeping it down. Then someone's backstory takes the limelight. =D

*In Character from behind cover*
Why are Cyborg Wookies shooting at us!!!?
You would prefer them trying to eat us?
I would prefer no Wookies!
Dude that's not cool... what Wookies ever do to you?
Try and Kill Me!!!!
Mar 1, 2016 9:45 pm
I have it on my other 2 guys but this guy is just kinda roll with the punhces.

Ok i will just roll for it.

Rolls

Obligation - (1d100)

(25) = 25

Mar 1, 2016 9:46 pm
Well shit not good with 2 bounty hunters on board. Lol
Mar 1, 2016 9:50 pm
And now motivation

Rolls

Motivation - (1d10)

(10) = 10

Specific - (1d100)

(72) = 72

2nd specific - (1d100)

(79) = 79

Mar 1, 2016 9:56 pm
Ok i guess this works for my guy. You all are right. It will give more idea for a background.

Wanderlust / Novelty:

Droid Rights:

Sometimes i just get lazy when I create some guy and I think these are rescrictions when they can be hilarious.
Mar 1, 2016 10:17 pm
So is that two party members who have bounties? - You folks must be real useful for us not to turn you in (or, maybe, the hutt or whomever wants your head isn't friendly with us, so there's no way we could cash you in anyway. The enemy of my enemy and all that).
Mar 1, 2016 10:26 pm
or maybe both of our characters had a bounty put on us by the same person? and we're at odds with that person?
Mar 1, 2016 10:38 pm
darthoingoboingo says:
or maybe both of our characters had a bounty put on us by the same person? and we're at odds with that person?
And the Captain and I are likewise at odds with that person, and that's why you can trust us not to turn you in. Maybe, for one of you perhaps, the story that brings you into the crew involves the bounty hunters in the crew saving you from getting 'turned in', just to spite the person who has the bounty on your head?
Last edited March 1, 2016 10:39 pm
Mar 1, 2016 11:01 pm
Or maybe the bounty was set excessively low for some reason... 10 credits??? For the BOTH of them? Man I'll spend more just to get there. *throws hands up in exasperation* and doesn't bother turning them in.

Mutters, wish I was a Hutt, just walk around all day butt nakkid' doing whatever...
Mar 1, 2016 11:50 pm
I think i maybe got a bounty because i "liberated" some droids on one of my visits through the world/galaxy. I didnt stay long enough for them to get ny name but just semi blurred picture maybe?
Last edited March 2, 2016 2:57 am
Mar 2, 2016 2:46 am
I would like to put in a request that if we have an astromech droid at any point in the game, it's designation is R2-D20
Last edited March 2, 2016 2:46 am
Mar 2, 2016 5:35 pm
We can build it if we have the parts, money, and know how... how good he is at his job. Meh. (fyi I'll lose it if he screws up badly like he's doing it purposely. "You have one job. One!" XD)
Mar 2, 2016 6:11 pm
that reminds me, how useful is everyone in ship combat? I think it's a huge part of star wars and it would be cool to have a few space fight scenes and narrow escapes.

so Kj is a pilot, that's a no brainer... I think my character could be a co-pilot or work the scanners or something, I don't have the book in front of me at the moment. do we have anyone with gunnery? I know we have an engineer.
Mar 2, 2016 6:18 pm
I am useless in ship combat (unless you can get me onto the enemy ship...)
Mar 2, 2016 7:44 pm
KJ is the engineer, my character is the pilot. There's a lot everyone can do during ship combat. The EotE core book has a table listing available non-pilot actions and their difficulties.

Anyone with a decent agility can take a gunnery seat. Please note, my character will make fun of you if you fail at anything ship related.
Mar 2, 2016 7:45 pm
Part of my motivation for playing a pilot is that I have yet to participate in real ship combat in a PbP game. I'm curious to see how it goes.
Mar 2, 2016 7:51 pm
Starting we probably have a cargo/transport type ship versus a combat ready armored personnel ship (Multiple gun banks, missiles? Stealth cloaking, Etc.) really no? Starting off it's probably something we wouldn't have setup yet and if we invest in a ship it becomes more like our 'home' in which case we don't want to get into that much combat since we might get our 'home' heavily damaged, destroyed.

That said I have no idea how the system would handle that. I know for Space Opera settings in Savage World we threw around a lot of F-Bombs due to space combat because if you can hit them...
Mar 2, 2016 8:15 pm
The system itself handles ship combat as a largely cinematic thing. Your maneuvers and actions revolve around changing speed, firing on opponents, but also on the fly ship repairs, gaining the advantage over enemies, pushing the limits of your ships speed. I've played it out in face to face groups, but never over PbP.

We can have a discussion about what ship, but our pilot here fancies himself a hotshot, and is pretty likely to put the ship in risky situations just for the thrill of it.
Mar 2, 2016 8:17 pm
There are three starter ship options in the EotE core book. One is more of a luxury transport (home), one is the YT-1300 (Millenium Falcon-transport/cargo), the other is a low level fighting ship.
Mar 2, 2016 8:32 pm
I think with GM approval we could get the YT-2400. it's just like the YT-1300 but it has one more point in maneuvering and one more in speed armor I think.
Last edited March 2, 2016 8:35 pm
Mar 2, 2016 8:33 pm
A suped up luxury ship lol. Classic.

Yeah im the mechanice that gives the ship extra boost. Would be a good copilot also however I dont think my character would like drive fast personally.

Im been to busy to write back ground but the gist is:

-has the travel bug
- one planet saw a bunch of "aquired" droids with restraining bolts
- removed all the bolts and released the droid
- on the run for past "owners"
- hooked up with a gang on different planet
- knew about the rift woth friartuks guy and the boss
- was knocked out during friartuk acquisition of a vessel
- after showing how to remove the tracker on the ship, a friendship was formed
- sold ship to buy a p.o.s. That has a hemmy and nitro under the hood after modifications

how the rest of the group came to be with us i am open to suggestions. We would beed a ship to fit all of us. So at least as big of the Ghost but not bigger. Need to be able to go fast.
Mar 2, 2016 8:42 pm
my character would be able to help out in just about any way, but would have more dice to roll for rolls that require intellect like slicing, so she could slice the enemy ship's computer, jam their communications, or be plotting the hyperspace calculations... I guess that last one would be what's most important
Mar 2, 2016 8:47 pm
Well GM is busy workwise I believe do we want to pull from other systems on who people know each other?

@Darth Astrogation for hyperspace plotting; As for the others Computers or maaaybe Skullduggery but for on a ship to ship situation I don't know haven't ready up.

Maybe I know the Doctor or the Jedi sneaky guy.
Last edited March 2, 2016 8:48 pm
Mar 2, 2016 8:55 pm
darthoingoboingo says:
my character would be able to help out in just about any way, but would have more dice to roll for rolls that require intellect like slicing, so she could slice the enemy ship's computer, jam their communications, or be plotting the hyperspace calculations... I guess that last one would be what's most important
Just an fyi when i played a slicer i went into the our ships system and placed a auto targeting program into the guns, which helped out sonce there were no good gunners at the time.
Mar 2, 2016 8:58 pm
Way i see it friartook and I together making money around the galaxy. Depending how your characters are would be how we all meet up.

Bounty hunter hired a fast getaway ship/cargo of warrents.
Mar 2, 2016 11:56 pm
I'm here and watching -- and happy to give you guys plenty of leeway to hash things out. I think we basically have:

Remnant + Oingoboingo + Candi have a plausible connection.. a bounty huntin' crew with a doc to keep the cargo alive.

Friar + KJ have a plausible connection with a stolen vessel (Friar -- what's your obligation? Seems like Bounty might be an obvious choice there given you stole a ship.. but perhaps they didn't know it was you? or perhaps they want to take the personal approach in getting it back?)

I'm okay with a YT-2400 if you like. It's 130K which is a bit pricey based on CRB guidance, but we can assert some leeway. :) Looking through the other CRB for ship options, I didn't see anything that jumped out at me as comparable. Perhaps you're together because the Bounty Crew hired the Ship Crew for a couple jobs, and decided that things worked out well together enough to stick together.
Mar 3, 2016 12:01 am
I'd be ok with that explanation. another idea is, star wars being star wars, we met with both groups under heavy fire (since two people in the crew got bounties), the bounty hunters had big guns and the other guys had a fast ship so we escaped together and we've been together ever since.
Mar 3, 2016 12:55 am
Oo. That's definitely more cinematic. :)
Mar 3, 2016 1:42 am
I kinda like these

Yt-1000
http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag326/Kjmagle/79FAF97F-9F8F-472D-AA98-F5E030935F0D_zpsizqpkk8p.jpg

yv-560

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag326/Kjmagle/879EFEA9-6CCB-41EF-85EA-02184A155753_zps3azzkwby.jpg

I like this one but the handles bad but with some mods

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag326/Kjmagle/04C65F32-2BF8-447F-A97D-08FDB941D00D_zps28k2opjq.jpg
Last edited March 3, 2016 1:45 am
Mar 3, 2016 4:25 pm
@falryx: Obligation is flexible. My intent was to have it be Betrayal, because I screwed over my employer and stole their ship, but Bounty or even Family would work. My character left a large family behind.

What if we all got together in a big bounty hunting cluster f&%#. Multiple bounty hunting crews accidentally clashing at the same time hunting the same targets, but one target is already hanging with the Remnant/Candi crew and one is with this here hot shot jerk pilot who just wants to thumb his nose at everyone. In the crazy cluster, the three man crew ends up on our ship when we take off, escaping the other rival crews. Post-traumatic negotiations ensue, and we all team up.
Mar 3, 2016 4:29 pm
On thing about bounty hunters in the SW setting is that it seems very possible/likely for them to end up with bounties on their own heads. Rival guilds, collecting a bounty on a crime boss's son, killing the wrong person, etc. I've always found that to be an interesting possible conflict of interest when it comes to choosing which bounties a hunter chases.
Mar 3, 2016 5:30 pm
Any objections to the general thread about how you came together? If not, I'll start spinning some stuff up after I validate character builds. Anyone particularly concerned they've done it right or wrong? I'll mostly just be scanning the sheets.
Mar 3, 2016 5:33 pm
@Candi: Do you want to have some obligation in order to hook up to the mechanics of EOTE? Or do you prefer to "earn" your obligation over time? :) My guess is that you'd have some obligation having been a bounty hunter-like person for awhile.
Mar 3, 2016 5:35 pm
@all Don't forget your soak is equal to your Brawn + armor -- I see a couple people with 0 soak, so please double check that. I'll probably forget otherwise.
Mar 3, 2016 5:37 pm
@KJ: your skills are too low. Did you take your freebies from Career and Spec? It doesn't look it.
Mar 3, 2016 5:45 pm
the only thing I would like to add is please let's not have the sea turtle looking ship... I'd rather not have the galaxy laughing at us
Mar 3, 2016 5:47 pm
falryx says:
@Candi: Do you want to have some obligation in order to hook up to the mechanics of EOTE? Or do you prefer to "earn" your obligation over time? :) My guess is that you'd have some obligation having been a bounty hunter-like person for awhile.
Yeah, I rolled and got Responsibility; which is what I tried to twist into a 'dark leaning, but refusing to be dark, jedi's way of twisting revenge'.
Mar 3, 2016 5:48 pm
Also I still have to go 'shopping'
Mar 3, 2016 5:52 pm
falryx says:
@KJ: your skills are too low. Did you take your freebies from Career and Spec? It doesn't look it.
I took mechanic and pilot space from the career. I forgot to change mechanic to rank 2.
Mar 3, 2016 5:53 pm
darthoingoboingo says:
the only thing I would like to add is please let's not have the sea turtle looking ship... I'd rather not have the galaxy laughing at us
I like the Gamera ship!!!!
Mar 3, 2016 5:54 pm
darthoingoboingo says:
I laughed well at this one.
Mar 3, 2016 5:55 pm
Candi says:
Yah, I noticed. No biggie.

If you ever do decide to get a deadly flashlight (lightsaber) you'll definitely wanna have some talents in Shien before you do.. that br of 1 would be deadly. :)
Mar 3, 2016 5:56 pm
I need to add in the rest of Lin's gear. I've got it purchased (used the a character generator), just need to add it to the GP sheet.
Mar 3, 2016 5:56 pm
Speaking of which: Comlinks. Are we assumed to have these, or are they an item we need to make sure we purchase?
Mar 3, 2016 5:59 pm
falryx says:

If you ever do decide to get a deadly flashlight (lightsaber) you'll definitely wanna have some talents in Shien before you do.. that br of 1 would be deadly. :)
Yeah I know. The original build had me dip into Shien right away, I decided to hold off on the deadly flashlight because of a concern that it would make non-flashlight users feel useless in combat, and because it was sucking up all of my XP just to be competent with the thing.
Mar 3, 2016 6:02 pm
KJ:

I still have you with 3 skills to pick from your career and 10 more XP to spend:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gamersplane/EOTE/KJ-Current-State.JPG
Mar 3, 2016 6:06 pm
Friar_Tuk says:
Speaking of which: Comlinks. Are we assumed to have these, or are they an item we need to make sure we purchase?
Great question.

All players should assume that characters have:

- appropriate clothing (this is basic clothing - not powered armor)
- one weapon
- 2 stimpacks
- personal commlink
- personal datapad

...without dipping into personal funds. Mechanics and Doctors should assume they have a Medpac or a Toolkit as appropriate.

THEN spend your money.
Mar 3, 2016 6:15 pm
I'm RICH! *loses his mind*
Mar 3, 2016 6:19 pm
Spent most of my money, 125 creds left .
Mar 3, 2016 6:28 pm
oh wow, I got a lot more credits to spend! I'm getting powered armor! I'll be Dr. DOOM!!!
Mar 3, 2016 6:29 pm
falryx says:
Candi says:
Yah, I noticed. No biggie.

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag326/Kjmagle/FE889FF0-72F9-4ABC-81B0-1FCE386A3CEB_zpsyawbzxyb.gif
Mar 3, 2016 6:30 pm
In this game, being dirt poor isn't top of my list -- I'm assuming you've been together and successful at jobs from time to time, so less necessary for me to bleed you of credits starting out. Don't worry -- we'll find places to spend credits.
Mar 3, 2016 6:31 pm
Remnant says:
I'm RICH! *loses his mind*
Thats what i am thinking.
Mar 3, 2016 6:35 pm
Come on guys. Turtle power!

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag326/Kjmagle/0BA8A03B-254F-438C-BD84-2FB9E6D09192_zpswy88rx96.jpg

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag326/Kjmagle/C8FABA44-2C41-4073-92CB-CFCC3CD06CA2_zpsuozhjjuz.jpg

Serenity looked like a horse...
Last edited March 3, 2016 6:35 pm
Mar 3, 2016 6:46 pm
"I ain't drivin' a dang turtle. Wait...how fast is it?"
Mar 3, 2016 6:51 pm
so I just got 825 credits to play with... any suggestions? really all the gear we start out with is pretty much all I need....
Mar 3, 2016 6:52 pm
Get some oddball gear that fits your character. I bought night vision goggles, mostly 'cause Lin thinks they look cool.
Mar 3, 2016 6:58 pm
The 720 handles like a brick -- I don't think a hotshot pilot would love it. Not like the YT-2400.
Mar 3, 2016 6:58 pm
darthoingoboingo says:
so I just got 825 credits to play with... any suggestions? really all the gear we start out with is pretty much all I need....
If you decide you wanna drop obligation and the credits you can go that route too... assuming you added credits with obligation that is.
Mar 3, 2016 7:01 pm
hey falryx... would you allow players who want to pool their extra credits to spend them on upgrades to our ship?
Mar 3, 2016 7:02 pm
@Darth, you can check out my doctor if you like. Dr We're All gunna die!

That said... *tries to figure out how to make his bounty hunter into Batman*...
Mar 3, 2016 7:12 pm
should we also come up with how our characters feel about each other? or have we talked our characters to death and are ready to BURN THIS CANDLE!
Mar 3, 2016 7:15 pm
If you guys want to pool resources/credits you are welcome to. Depending on the upgrade in question I might redirect it or have a concern.

I'm close to ready to light the candle if you are. Just need to get the final character complete. :)
Mar 3, 2016 7:16 pm
double check my character. my character creator says everything should be legit
Mar 3, 2016 7:19 pm
I have 325c left over to pool to ship mods.
Mar 3, 2016 7:19 pm
and if someone wants to toss in 200 credits, we can get smuggling compartments for the ship. there's no rule saying we can't also smuggle things (or people) while we're hunting bounties

EDIT: Kj, looks like we got smuggling compartments!
Last edited March 3, 2016 7:20 pm
Mar 3, 2016 7:20 pm
Light the candle!
Mar 3, 2016 7:21 pm
darthoingoboingo says:
double check my character. my character creator says everything should be legit
ack. you look legit. just need our tech to grab some more free skills for himself and tell me he feels sorted.
Mar 3, 2016 7:24 pm
falryx says:
KJ:

I still have you with 3 skills to pick from your career and 10 more XP to spend:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gamersplane/EOTE/KJ-Current-State.JPG
Ok im a bit confused it it 3 skills to give rank to ?
Mar 3, 2016 7:27 pm
Yup - you can pick three skills from the top to add 1 rank to (I took the liberty of picking mechanics). You also have 10 XP to spend on top of that.
Mar 3, 2016 7:28 pm
@Friar_Tuk: Got a name for your Garbage Scow?
Mar 3, 2016 7:34 pm
falryx says:
Yup - you can pick three skills from the top to add 1 rank to (I took the liberty of picking mechanics). You also have 10 XP to spend on top of that.
Ok all done now.
Mar 3, 2016 7:34 pm
@darth: I think it would be a good idea to give a quick breakdown of our characters in a new thread. A brief physical description, and a personality profile, both internal and projected. Then we can all decide how our characters would feel about the others based on these.

@falryx: Quick question regarding "appropriate clothing", would that include the Heavy Clothes? These are basically leathers that give one soak. I'm redoing my gear quick, then I'll fill my sheet and be done with Lin.
Mar 3, 2016 7:35 pm
falryx says:
@Friar_Tuk: Got a name for your Garbage Scow?
The speedy tortoise ... Ok i know we not getting it. Lol
Mar 3, 2016 7:37 pm
@friar yeah, that sounds like a good idea. someone should make a separate thread. and I believe he said that heavy clothes do not count as a freebie. I still paid for mine.
Mar 3, 2016 7:37 pm
Friar_Tuk says:
@falryx: Quick question regarding "appropriate clothing", would that include the Heavy Clothes? These are basically leathers that give one soak. I'm redoing my gear quick, then I'll fill my sheet and be done with Lin.
oops. retconning that.

so um.. pay for heavy clothes. yah. (s'only 50 creds, right?)
Mar 3, 2016 7:40 pm
darthoingoboingo says:
@friar yeah, that sounds like a good idea. someone should make a separate thread.
Done.
Mar 3, 2016 7:42 pm
a quick list of ideas I had for the name of the ship

The Lucky Day
The Last Chance
Vengeance

there is also a random ship name generator here

EDIT: I like the green trim...
Last edited March 3, 2016 7:43 pm
Mar 3, 2016 7:42 pm
Did we decide on the YT-2400? I'm bad at names, open to suggestions.
Mar 3, 2016 7:43 pm
"Geen, dark green, yellow trim and black... I'm sorry was I suppose to use the pictures?"
Mar 3, 2016 7:44 pm
Friar_Tuk says:
Did we decide on the YT-2400? I'm bad at names, open to suggestions.
i think that is the gms gift to us so we should take it.

I will steal a turtle ship later. Lol
Mar 3, 2016 7:46 pm
Remnant says:
"Geen, dark green, yellow trim and black... I'm sorry was I suppose to use the pictures?"
Lol dont have to use these oics i was just looking for ideas. I like to visualize what the ship colors are.

I like green also.
Mar 3, 2016 7:46 pm
well then if we steal a second ship we will need a place to store it... we'll just have to steal a carrier as well. more elbow room
Mar 3, 2016 7:47 pm
The paint job is "1980s New York Subway Car Graffiti". No, I'm not kidding. I think Lin did it himself...he's got talent with a spraycan.
Mar 3, 2016 7:48 pm
you know, I kind of like that....
Mar 3, 2016 7:49 pm
Friar_Tuk says:
The paint job is "1980s New York Subway Car Graffiti". No, I'm not kidding. I think Lin did it himself...he's got talent with a spraycan.
Do we have a Sabine aboard.

I think you should name the ship. I am guessing our characters bought it but i think yours would have more interest in the name.

FTY

faster than you.
Mar 3, 2016 7:54 pm
Kjmagle says:

FTY

faster than you.
Decision made. That is exactly the sort of crappy attempt at a name Lin would choose. The ship is the FTY.
Mar 3, 2016 8:03 pm
Get on the FTY (I'll pronounce it 50 aka Fi Dee).
Mar 3, 2016 8:03 pm
Friar_Tuk says:
Kjmagle says:

FTY

faster than you.
Decision made. That is exactly the sort of crappy attempt at a name Lin would choose. The ship is the FTY.
Lmao i just snorted at work.
Mar 3, 2016 8:07 pm
Here's a green one that has a bit more green:

https://dondueck.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/yt2400green.jpg
Mar 3, 2016 8:08 pm
I kind of liked the character the other one had, what where the green 'accents' were actually adhesive cement necessary so that the ship was, technically, space worthy.
Mar 3, 2016 8:08 pm
falryx says:
Here's a green one that has a bit more green:

https://dondueck.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/yt2400green.jpg
I saw that also. I forgot to save it
Mar 3, 2016 8:09 pm
Remnant says:
Get on the FTY (I'll pronounce it 50 aka Fi Dee).
And every time, Lin with angrily correct you. "No, man, its EFF, TEE, WHY, like, Faster Than You. Get it? What's wrong with you man?"
Mar 3, 2016 8:20 pm
"Well I think Fi Dee is catchy... besides if you're really saying Faster Than You shouldn't it be Ffframph for short since you're going faster? There's nothing wrong with me Lin I'm just trying to understand why you can't get behind using the name as a brand man... I mean if I'm talking to some ladies Lin and I introduce you as some hot shot pilot do you want to say the ship's name is Faster Than You or Fi Dee... personally I think Fi Dee sounds sexy...Yeah like I was saying ladies, heeey it's my man Lin. Oh you haven't heard of my man Lin yeah he's a pilot, doing his thing, oh the ship, yeah we call it Fi dee... Ladies where you going... Damn... you know on second though saying Faster Than You in the situation would have been better for me really... But you get the point man stop looking at me like that."

*Green Mamba walks off*
Last edited March 3, 2016 8:21 pm
Mar 3, 2016 8:23 pm
As Akhrirar walks off I smile at Lin, "I find it's easier to just let him talk until he walks off, then it is to talk back and encourage him."
Mar 3, 2016 8:32 pm
@Friar - there a particular layout internally you'd like on the EffTeeWhy? If not, I'll grab one that seems reasonable. Lots of options on:

This Google Search
Mar 3, 2016 8:41 pm
Nah man, you don't say "Faster Than You". You just say F-T-Y. That's it. That's the joke, man. That's what makes it cool! They don't know you're sayin' I'm faster than they are, but we know, right? Hey, come back man, lemme just break it down for you..." follows quickly behind Akhrirar.

@falryx: I like this one, but open to feedback. It looks like they sacrificed a bit of cargo space for engine room.
http://www.synicon.info/SW/or/D-plan1.JPG
Last edited March 3, 2016 8:42 pm
Mar 3, 2016 8:44 pm
@Friar - that can work. What's in the big open area though? Is that meant to be cargo? Are those bunkbeds over on the right?
Mar 3, 2016 8:48 pm
That one looks like the engineer went and put a huge engine in there, and a big cargo space... then someone said "what about a place to eat... and sleep?" and they made hasty modifications o the layout to satisfy those silly requirements.
Mar 3, 2016 8:52 pm
Yeah, I like that thought. Bunks in the rectangle on the right of the main hold. Central circle is a game room; chess, sabaac, etc. with access to the top gun turret (if we have one), back area by engines is the engineering room, trapezoid on the left is the galley, the central area is mixed use living/cargo hold. Looks like a computer bank in there too. I'm thinking the area straight back form the cockpit was once a passenger hold, but has been converted to a brig for carrying detained bounties.

I'm thinking we are mixed job crew. Like Cad Bane; he's a bounty hunter, but he gets hired for thievery and smuggling and espionage jobs too. A one stop shop for all your shady needs.
Mar 3, 2016 9:33 pm
Typically the area straight back was the escape pod. Do you forgo that?

The ramp out will be under the bunk room, i suspect. Although the trapezoid looks like it may have a couple bunks too.
Mar 3, 2016 9:36 pm
I kinda liked this one...

http://beggingforxp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Lazy-Bantha-ship-752x440.jpg

Seems to have the requisite parts..
Mar 3, 2016 9:41 pm
You know, as we discuss this, I'm thinking this floor plan makes more sense for our crew.

http://beggingforxp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Lazy-Bantha-ship-752x440.jpg
Mar 3, 2016 9:44 pm
The "Passenger Cabin" (15) can easily have been converted to a brig.

Also, Lin gets his own cabin. which he will be happy about. He likely makes occasional inappropriate overtures to "share bunks" with our resident lady crew members. I'll assume his overtures have been consistently shot down, but that in no way means he'll stop trying...
Mar 3, 2016 9:45 pm
looks like the way to get cargo in the holds relies on those little elevators and the boarding ramp is just for crew. this is a good layout for multiple cargoes and we can have the tertiary cargo hold converted into a brig for bounties
Mar 3, 2016 10:25 pm
I have been busy.

I would like to think that a Fuzil has like a Hamock instead of a bed. Probably in the Engineering bay.
Last edited March 3, 2016 10:25 pm
Mar 4, 2016 2:04 am
Heya - wanna make sure Obligation is set up properly -- who took extra obligation in character creation? And how much?
Mar 4, 2016 2:15 am
falryx says:
Heya - wanna make sure Obligation is set up properly -- who took extra obligation in character creation? And how much?
I used FaD (it's the only book I have)... and took the morality set up for bonus XP (maximizing starting XP).
Last edited March 4, 2016 2:15 am
Mar 4, 2016 2:25 am
falryx says:
I took +5 for some credits and +10 for some XP for a total of +15.
Mar 4, 2016 2:34 am
Just normal for me
Mar 4, 2016 2:38 am
+5 for 5 xp, +5 for 1000credits
Mar 4, 2016 3:02 am
Okee dokee. Everyone start with 10 Obligation plus whatever they added.

So: Candi: 10, Friar: 25, Kj: 10, Darth: 20 and Remnant TBD.
Mar 4, 2016 1:23 pm
I added 10 Obligation (For +XP) after the starting since I thought that was the max... if I get more though... =3
Last edited March 4, 2016 1:23 pm
Mar 4, 2016 6:05 pm
Ok:

Candi: 10
Friar: 25
Kj: 10
Darth: 20
Remnant: 20

That makes total obligation 85 -- which is a touch high -- I may reduce the base # to 5 (which would reduce this to 60 which is guideline). I'll review the CRB tonight and update you all with final #s and our first post then.
Mar 4, 2016 6:08 pm
or we can just always be on the run!
Mar 4, 2016 6:27 pm
Obligation being high means out the gate us probably dealing with someone's background rearing up horrifically especially on a double from the percentile roll which is good for RP but bad mechanically (15% chance to start the session as normal and an 85% to start at -1/-2 Strain Threshold your threshold for the session and seven chances out of the 85% for that to be doubled). Plus we're almost at 100 starting so it's possible next session someone's past is back to pull us in storywise.
Mar 4, 2016 6:42 pm
I can't remember, did we decide on Mala's bounty being known already or is that going to be a secret?
Mar 4, 2016 6:58 pm
*opening scene... a FTY is flying through an astroid field dodging rocks and incoming missles. Lin sweating at the controls asking Fuzil for more power. Fuzil getting a lil space sick with the bobbing an weaving of the ship however redirecting the power to the stabilizers. Acaatha sitting next to Lin giving read outs of incoming missles. Mala is concentrating to see a clear path for the ship. Meanwhile Akhrirar is at the guns trying to shoot the missles and following fighters*

After that ai am thinking Akhrirar saying "what??? How was i suppose to know that was his daughter??? All Chevins look the same!"
Mar 4, 2016 7:15 pm
Well since it's a bounty I figure yes. The reason it's an obligation might be you haven't settled up with the people out to get you.

I also like everyone puts me down at the lady's man of the crew... or the source of debauchery...
Mar 4, 2016 7:21 pm
the reason there's a bounty on me is the person who used to own me wants me back. and mala would rather die than go back into slavery. we can say that she knows there's a bounty (she probably is the one that does searches for nearby bounties anyway) and just has never seen the need to mention it since the crew is constantly on the move and hasn't had any encounters yet...
Mar 4, 2016 7:22 pm
Especially when, as you yourself established as canon, Akhy got no game.
Mar 4, 2016 7:23 pm
oh boy.. we're going to have to deal with all the people he pisses off....
Mar 4, 2016 7:26 pm
"Ain't no shame in my game... I'll beg if I have to."

I have 3 Ranks in plot twist.
Last edited March 4, 2016 7:26 pm
Mar 4, 2016 7:28 pm
he'll have to flip a light side point just to get a date...
Mar 4, 2016 7:37 pm
darthoingoboingo says:
he'll have to flip a light side point just to get a date...
ouch!
Mar 4, 2016 7:39 pm
I was thinking he go into a fist fight with the daughter or called her a manly man.
Last edited March 4, 2016 7:39 pm
Mar 4, 2016 7:41 pm
Kjmagle says:
I was thinking he go into a fist fight with the daughter or called her a manly man.
And he would never live it down.
Mar 4, 2016 7:46 pm
Friar_Tuk says:
Kjmagle says:
And he would never live it down.
We are collecting a bounty from the father and he says what a "strapping boy you got there." Hit her in the "shoulder" and she goes down.

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag326/Kjmagle/5036BA02-D83F-4F97-A5D4-B73E244E1DC9_zpsw0qxwa47.jpg
Last edited March 4, 2016 8:15 pm
Mar 4, 2016 7:48 pm
so not only is he sexist, he's also racist
Mar 4, 2016 8:25 pm
I think getting into trouble or being the but of karmatic jokes is one of my endearing qualities... I mean I'm still here.
Mar 4, 2016 9:44 pm
On the subject of high Obligation: I am against reducing our group Obligation. Starting with a high Obligation means more plot triggers and crazy things coming our way. I don't know about you guys, but dealing with crazy stuff and engaging with my (and others') character's background is why I play these games.

One of my favorite things about the EotE system is the numerous opportunities to succeed at cost and fail forward. Obligation just feeds that monkey.
Mar 4, 2016 9:53 pm
I agree. let's have a crazy ass start of the game where complications and plot comes at us. it'll encourage everyone to start paying down their obligations. we can try to be doing our jobs and crap just goes sideways due to a bounty hunter jumping us or someone else gunning for the crew messes up our carefully laid plans. it IS star wars, after all
Mar 4, 2016 10:09 pm
No lets just all meet in a tavern... :-)
Last edited March 4, 2016 10:10 pm
Mar 4, 2016 11:08 pm
Whoever mentioned starting the game in the middle of a pitched space battle: I am stealing that idea for my face to face group. We are wrapping up a campaign, with intentions of starting up a new one soon after. I'm going to have them do a group character creation/background session, with an in-character narration of how they all came together, and how they all feel about each other.

Then, first real game session, they begin in the midst of a pitched space battle. A brief explanation of how they got there, then into the space combat. A great cinematic way to start a campaign!
Mar 4, 2016 11:26 pm
Friar_Tuk says:
Whoever mentioned starting the game in the middle of a pitched space battle: I am stealing that idea for my face to face group. We are wrapping up a campaign, with intentions of starting up a new one soon after. I'm going to have them do a group character creation/background session, with an in-character narration of how they all came together, and how they all feel about each other.

Then, first real game session, they begin in the midst of a pitched space battle. A brief explanation of how they got there, then into the space combat. A great cinematic way to start a campaign!
That would be me and i wish i played in that game too. Lol
Mar 4, 2016 11:58 pm
that's pretty much how episodes 3 and 4 started
Mar 5, 2016 12:57 am
Depends on Falryx maybe we were both out shopping and we notice the other groups bounty and see dollar signs, others start shooting at the two groups. Hilarity ensures.
Mar 5, 2016 2:21 am
we'll just have to wait and see....
Mar 5, 2016 3:54 am
well, well, well.. doubles it is.

although if it helps, the # was low enough even with lower obligation you would have been snagged.
Mar 5, 2016 5:22 am
hooo boy, here's where the poodoo hits the high velocity oxygen scrubber...
Mar 5, 2016 10:54 am
Now you know why mechanically Falryx went, "Ooooo"
May 1, 2016 1:55 pm
Note: y'all can use this thread to track/communicate XP spend if you like.
May 1, 2016 11:37 pm
how much would it cost to get a point in piloting ground craft?
May 2, 2016 3:32 am
well... as it's not a career skill it's 5 * skill level + 5. So Piloting (Planetary) would cost 10 XP to get one level. That same 10 XP could get a career skill from 1 to 2 (if you want to compare value).
May 2, 2016 4:51 am
hmm... piloting or medicine? tough choice. I'll think about it. is there required training times?
May 2, 2016 1:02 pm
Nope. I might imply such a need for force powers but I assume skill training takes place off camera.
May 6, 2016 4:34 am
so guys, I have a dilemma. I don't know how to spend my xp. here's what I was thinking about:

get one point of piloting- planetary
get a talent that allows me to boost a characteristic by one for anyone at the cost of 4 strain
get one point of computer
save it and later boost my medicine

input?
May 6, 2016 4:48 am
Without suggesting a course, it might be interesting if someone had the ability to co-pilot with Lin. Being able to roll an average piloting roll and reduce the difficulty of his next piloting roll seems like a pretty huge win. That said, that'd be Piloting (Space) generally. That said, spending outside of career spec and skills can be expensive.
May 6, 2016 12:47 pm
Whiever has more agility shkd be co pilot. I have 2 but i have space rank 2 already.

Question is it 15 to get 3rd rank in mechanics? I forgot.

****update***

I verified that rank 3 career is 15 pts. Im doing that with my mechanic
Last edited May 6, 2016 2:13 pm
May 6, 2016 3:17 pm
Acaatha has 3 Agility. Not sure if she can lean on computers to 'assist' (+2 Boost), or if falryx would demand actual piloting competency. It *is* outside of career (so I'm unlikely to put more than 1 point into it).
Jun 4, 2016 11:02 pm
Is anyone in the group already competent at Negotiation / Charm? Considering leaning into the 'face' vision of Acaatha and one of her career talents I could grab lets me add 2 skills to her career list. Those are the 'core' social skills she's missing (though with 2 Pres, she's not going to be stellar; but she's already damned good at lying, cheating and stealing so why not some honest stuff to back it up?)
Jun 5, 2016 2:32 am
all I'm good at is charm. I'm pretty good at it, the dice just hate me. that's what I was trying to do with the first dockmaster
Jun 5, 2016 2:47 am
Cool. Then I won't go there :) I'll do what I can to wrangle Skullduggery and Streetwise to support social situations. It's more Acaatha anyway to either lie, or undermine, the person she's talking to than to try and do something honest like Negotiate.
Jun 8, 2016 1:24 pm
Who'se the best co-pilot? (Brw1, Agi3, Cun4; the rest 2) -- I could pick Piloting up as a skill if no one else already went that way (I'm pretty sure last time we were in space, it was determined that Acaatha had the best baseline stats to help Lin since no one else had the skills, but we've got XP since).
Jun 8, 2016 1:33 pm
If there's no reason to be shooting I have a raw ability of 4 green dice to make a check to assist. I thought you were better at assisting people for some reason but I forget how that worked. I figure Lin flies and I shoot if need be but we mostly just float and do what's ever closest to us unless there's a crisis. I'd probably switch out to help out if the ship needed emergency repairs. Same if there was a fire.
Jun 8, 2016 2:40 pm
I am better at assisting yes (I grant 2 boost on assist). If co-piloting is an assist check, I should certainly pump myself up and help with it because Acaatha makes a bigger difference (but I recall falryx ruling that in the case of co-piloting it wasn't, it was something else?).
Jun 8, 2016 2:47 pm
Co-piloting is a specific action. I think it's completely reasonable to pick up some piloting if you want. Although Akhrirar has a high Agility, his expertise is more around shooting at things, so I suspect he'll be occupied when things are hairy. Fuzil and Mala won't be great co-pilots (being more Int-based careers) and Lin's already flying..

Downgrading difficulty on pilot checks is, I think, pretty valuable.
Jun 8, 2016 2:53 pm
With that said I guess it's up to you Candi, it sounds like a good idea but Acaatha's development should be based on what you want I think. There's a lot of things to do and ways to go with Jedi especially if you multi spec early.
Jun 8, 2016 3:14 pm
Remnant says:
With that said I guess it's up to you Candi, it sounds like a good idea but Acaatha's development should be based on what you want I think.
My primary concerns are to (1) be useful and (2) not step into another character's specialization / competency. Hence why I'm always asking what other's can and can't do well.
Jun 8, 2016 3:19 pm
To that end, I've spent my 10XP on well rounded, adding Piloting (Space) and Ranged (Light) to my career skills. Next XP dump, I'll put a rank into each.
Jun 8, 2016 4:03 pm
yeah, I think a copilot would be helpful... and would keep lin's clothes on
Jun 8, 2016 4:06 pm
When I think of it that way, yeah Candi you should probably be co pilot. That way no slap fights while flying between Lin and Akhrirar.
Jun 8, 2016 4:07 pm
I'm just going to focus on being a better doctor.. and aiming for kneecaps. i'm sure one day someone will be seriously injured and those ranks I have in surgeon would help.

any plans for eventually getting our own bacta tank?
Jun 8, 2016 4:53 pm
Remnant says:
When I think of it that way, yeah Candi you should probably be co pilot. That way no slap fights while flying between Lin and Akhrirar.
Also, being a co-pilot means Acaatha has something to do in a space-fight (as her main function in space situations is to board another vessel and take it out from the inside... but without Nightcrawler-style blink powers, that's not something she could do in an active fire fight).
Jun 8, 2016 5:05 pm
darthoingoboingo says:
I'm just going to focus on being a better doctor.. and aiming for kneecaps. i'm sure one day someone will be seriously injured and those ranks I have in surgeon would help.

any plans for eventually getting our own bacta tank?
Currently not in the budget, we could downgrade that to having a picture of one, some bandages and some juice boxes.
Jun 8, 2016 5:08 pm
you know, we could fill a cargo container with jello...
Oct 6, 2016 2:48 am
Moofsalot -- any questions on chargen?
Oct 6, 2016 2:56 am
Not yet! I'm inputting as much onto my character sheet as I can. So far so good. Let me know if anything looks off...
Oct 6, 2016 3:04 am
okee dokee. once you submit it, i can take a looksee. :)
Oct 6, 2016 3:05 am
nm! I see you already have!
Oct 6, 2016 3:16 am
So far, everything looks solid.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.