The Sky above the Aldiea (Pha starts here)

Feb 29, 2016 3:25 am
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6c/82/8c/6c828c99473b5b7f02d83abdfe7874f1.jpg

Pha finds himself clinging to the corpse of the Hound Timmerman, after it has launched the personal transport. When the Shocker Cypher was triggered it seems to have overloaded the mechanism locking it into an accelerated accent toward the clouds. Seconds after killing the Timmerman, Pha finds himself a hundred feet in the air. His grip on the corpse is the only thing currently keeping him from plummeting to his death.
OOC:
Remnant/Pha may only post in this thread until such a time as this problem has been dealt with. Others players/Pcs may post actions to assist Pha (if it makes sense), but that means committing to this scene and not the Uncegilla Cove Burning scene.
OOC:
PS...Pha gains one XP for "discovering" that these machines are boosted by electricity and one XP for discovering that the legendary Timmermen are only human after all.
Feb 29, 2016 4:14 am
With one claw buried inside his target he blinks and realizes he is not on the ground anymore and his stomach leaps a bit before he controls his breathing. Once he calmed down he looked at the machine that would either kill him on save him around the body.

Focus on the small parts and build to a solution. Pha thought remembering Mohsen's training
OOC:
Don't know if I need to roll Numenera to figure out how to operate the device but it seems a good place to start.

Rolls

Understanding the Device (Trained in Numenera; Used Effort) Task Leve ? two steps down - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Feb 29, 2016 5:20 am
OOC:
Yep, a Numenera Roll vs Difficulty 6(18) (level of the artifact) was needed, and your skill and effort brought it down to 4(12)...and the dice were on your side. Congrats!
Pha manages to suppress the panic that grips him when he sees where he is. Thinking quickly he assess the situation and figures out that the sky-rider is controlled by the Timmerman's gauntlet.

Now how to get it off of him?
Feb 29, 2016 1:59 pm
Pha wraps his legs around the corpse and ponders how to take off the gauntlets carefully so as not to drop them. Looking around once he's calmed down he thinks the view would be nice if there wasn't a fire sweeping through the town below and sighs.

They're probably going to blame me for that... Pha thought in a pragmatic way as he took a moment to take everything in around him and below and just chilled.

Pha moved his free hand over Hound's seeing how he stacked up sizewise with his claws to the corpses hands his other hand still holding on through the wound he had caused. With the realization of the gloves being the key he inhaled deeply and focused on them. His chin dug into Hounds shoulder as he looked around in front of the two of them.

With the festival and Rite not going as planned Pha never got the opportunity to state he would go into the same line of work as Mohsen, working with numenera, fixing and tuning devices. With his current abilities he felt he had the tools he needed to try and figure things out. All he needed now was understanding.

In his view things around him started to augment midair giving him additional information on the surroundings.
OOC:
Using Scan don't know if the craft fully fits in the 10 foot cube but if not I'll center it on the controls and Hound's body. 2 Int - 1 Int Edge. My intent is to basically get information on how the gloves work, (i.e. do you have to wear them or are they a key for the device to work or not) and search his body one time I think more safely versus patting him down.
Mar 5, 2016 12:32 am
Scan tells you that part of the glove is acting as the activator for this device. Without it the vehicle will cease to function. The gauntlet itself is just a glove. As long as the device embedded in the gauntlet stays near the flying machine you will be fine. The issue is the controls themselves. You think you have the basic idea of how it should work, but the jolt from the shocker cypher has currently overloaded it. You need to fix that first, and the corpse you are riding with is kind of in the way. Once you have the gauntlet on your own hand you have to decide what to do with the former Timmerman, dump it or work around it?
OOC:
OK, what do you do with Hound? If you keep his body with you (in order to loot it later, there are more things to get off it) you will need to make a Speed Test Difficulty 3(9) to work around the body in addition to the Difficulty 6(18) test to master the controls.
Mar 5, 2016 12:53 am
With a better understanding of what's going on Pha pulls the gauntlet off before he tried to work around the body and master the controls. At least up here there wasn't that much in the way of obstacles to hit.
OOC:
Trained in Numenera and using Effort to drop it to level 4, unsure if I can use the gauntlet or what I learned from Scan as an asset, if you cool, if not I'm okay with it.
Edit: I'mma reroll that one...
Edit2: If I get a minor effect on the mastering roll could I figure out how to not have it 'stuck in gear'?
Last edited March 5, 2016 12:55 am

Rolls

Speed Check (Task Level3) to work around - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Master the Controls (Task Level 4 maaybe 3) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Speed Check (Task Level3) to work around reroll - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Mar 7, 2016 7:00 pm
Pha has managed to wrestle control of the vehicle away from the hands of the dead Timmeman without falling to his death. The machine relents to the new pilot. Making quick work of the jammed controls, Pha is ready to attempt to get the machine fully under his control. It's risky, but it's gotta happen. The engines need a restart in mid air. If the procedure fails...the crash will be spectacular.
OOC:
I need one more Speed test, Difficulty 6(18), knowledge of numenera can be applied, and the gauntlet as an asset. If you have anything else you think applies, it might.
Mar 7, 2016 7:09 pm
Well I'm already wearing brown pants and the village is already on fire. Pha thinks to himself as he tries to restart the machine.

If he gets it under control they'll hopefully have something to help with the fires...
OOC:
Guantlet asset + Trained in Numenera + using Effort... Pha's pants weren't brown before he went up in the air but I don't think that helps Task Level 6 moved to Level 3.

Rolls

Focus, use the device, don't crash (Task L3) - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Mar 8, 2016 5:11 am
The engines give off a hiss and crackle a few times as the energy dissipates. The screen doesn't go black but slowly portions of it fade to a dark grey. The machine slows its a accent, then for a brief moment, silence. Pha finds himself sitting among the clouds. The world is quiet and serene. Off in the distance, a flock of needlewing are migrating south for the upcoming winter, below them the trees appear a solid mass of green carpet. For a moment Pha is allowed to take in this veiw...

...but only for a moment...

Then comes the drop. It starts slow enough. A gentle glide downward changes the direction of the wind from across his face to directly upward. The back of the craft dips and as fast as the machine shot up it begins to drop down, then the spin sets in. Pha feels his guts bunching up in his throat and his inner ear spins with the machine. Looking down at the controls, Pha can see past them that the ground is coming up fast. The trees are becoming individual plants again when the first indicator on the console lights up. He begins pressing glyphs in what he hopes is the proper order to start the machine again. Pha can smell the smoke of the burning buildings when the hum of the engines kicks back in. The initial deceleration kicks hard and Pha's insides realign making him nearly loose what little food he has had today. But at what he would guess is about 60ft. above terra firma the craft halts and hovers in place, ready to take direction from it's pilot.
OOC:
Pha is free to join the other scene now. Congrats on not becoming on with the drit!
Mar 8, 2016 12:55 pm
Gulping down air Pha looks around, his face feels worn having dove through the air at an alarming rate. With his breathing back under control he looks around and see he's not the only one dealing with a personal case of crisis. Exhaling his cheeks puffing out he mutters to himself, "I guess out of the frying pan..." after taking a moment he moves the craft towards the village below to find those working on the fire.
OOC:
Taking a recovery and exiting thread.

Rolls

Recovery plus thinking of getting new pants there have expired - (1d6+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Thread locked