Chapter 1, Day 5: The Council at Drellin's Ferry

Mar 3, 2016 1:13 am
You are woken well before dawn by the sound of shouting. You hear a commotion out in the streets, "Awake! Awake! Goblins are attacking the west bank!" someone cries. Looking out the window, you can see bright flames leaping up from houses and buildings on the other side of the river and hear the faint roar and crackle of distant flames.
Mar 3, 2016 2:48 am
Pawetha sighs at the commotion, but any irritation is drowned by the report of goblins. She dresses and methodically dons her leather in practiced order, albeit with a bit of haste. The ranger gathers her weapons and strings her bow, then leaves her room and proceeds out into the street to meet her hated foe.
Mar 3, 2016 1:01 pm
Wiping the sleep out of his eyes, Zaris makes his way down into the common room of the inn and looks around trying to find out what all the yelling is about.
Mar 3, 2016 1:06 pm
I wake up fully clothed, daggers nearby. After I've checked to make sure all my belongings are intact, I head to the front of the tavern to see who else is awake.
Mar 3, 2016 1:08 pm
Xara arrives downstairs in time to see Zaris step out the front door, the mage, not having armor to don, was ready as fast as she was.

Zaris steps out onto the street in front of the inn and looks towards the commotion. He can see signs of fire on the other side of the river. He sees a few boys with armfuls of weapons and armour running towards the ferry's landing, probably the town guard are assembling there in preparation for going across the river and meeting the goblin threat.

A few minutes later Pawetha makes he way down stairs.
Mar 3, 2016 1:14 pm
"I wonder if those elders are up for a chat now?"
Mar 3, 2016 3:23 pm
Awakened from my terrible night's sleep of worrying about dragon retaliation, I recognize the sound of battle. Fearing the worst, I leave my armor but take my magical sword and shield, searching for my friends.
OOC:
Donning all my armor will take too long but if I can have a little armor with only a round or two used up then I'll do that.
Mar 3, 2016 4:34 pm
Hearing the sounds of battle and shouting I bolt out of bed quickly throw on my cloths, wind my bandoleer around my chest and grab my spears. When I arrive downstairs I see Xara and Zaris, "The horde that blocked my route was not close enough to attack this village. This must be a scouting party testing the defenses of the village."
Mar 3, 2016 5:51 pm
Five or so minutes later Kaiakas arrives on the ground floor, sword and shield in hand wearing a chain shirt hastily thrown over his head and buckled in place.
Mar 3, 2016 6:22 pm
Once assembled, the group heads out into the streets and to the ferry landing. There they find Captain Sorana shouting orders, as she tries to assemble together, arm and armour a group of cards in preparation for crossing the river to the west bank where the fires and goblin raiders are attacking. The ferrymen are working to hitch their horses to the pulls and prepare the ferry to transport a squad to the other bank. It looks to be at least another 10 or 15 minutes before the ferry will be ready to depart.
Mar 3, 2016 6:26 pm
"Hmmm. Perhaps I had time to put all my armor on after all."
Mar 3, 2016 6:45 pm
Pawetha gives the tiefling a once-over. "At least you remembered pants." She looks for any easier method of crossing the river, but assuming there is none (or it would actually take longer), she waits for the ferry.

To Ghunril, the gnome looks up and asks, "So, is this the sensitive news you had?"
Mar 3, 2016 7:10 pm
Except by your own means (such as magic, were you so able), the ferry is the only way.
Mar 3, 2016 8:20 pm
"Most likely a small advance force. I can't imagine multiple groups of goblins advancing on the same location. But I also wouldn't have imagined a dragon being in league with goblins either so anything is possible." I look in the direction of Captain Sorana and yell to be heard over the crowd noise "Is there anything we can do to help with preparations to cross the river?"

OOC, I only yell as loud as to be heard, I'm not trying to blast her eardrums out.
Mar 3, 2016 8:32 pm
"It's much more than that, my new friend. Your bit of news is alarming, sure, but we have much more intel to share with the council. We've been quite busy."
Last edited March 3, 2016 8:33 pm
Mar 4, 2016 2:47 pm
Within moments the ferry is prepared and Sorana and her guards begin to board it, she waves you aboard as well with a shout, "If you're going to help, come aboard!"

The ferry heavily loaded with soldiers and warriors feels like it crawls across the river as the horses toil and struggle to pull it along. The journey is agonizingly slow as you have nothing to do but watch as houses erupt in flame on the opposite shore and slowly burn to the ground.

When the ferry lands Sorana says, "You sweep south, me and the guards will sweep north." With that she and hers are gone. You only get a hundred or so feet from the ferry landing when you spot a trio of goblin worg riders dashing down the street, whooping and shaking their bows in the air. A pair of powerful hell hounds bound along side them...
OOC:
This takes place somewhere near building 17

Player turn, post as you will. 3 Hobgoblin Worg Riders, 2 Hellhounds... They are about 30 feet away
Mar 4, 2016 4:10 pm
Pawetha eyes the range and closing speed of the advancing unit. She drops to one knee and whispers along the shaft of her first arrow as she sights down the goblin rider in the middle of the group, and the wood seems to fray like thistles. Pawetha fires her shortbow straight-on, launching two arrows in quick succession at the goblin and worg. As the first arrow flies, it puffs into tiny splinters of sharp wooden thorns that saturate the area.

The ranger then moves to the side, away from the charging enemy, for cover by the building.
OOC:
Hail of Thorns
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: V
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
The next time you hit a creature with a ranged weapon attack before the spell ends, this spell creates a rain of thorns that sprouts from your ranged weapon or ammunition. In addition to the normal effect of the attack, the target of the attack and each creature within 5 feet of it must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 1d10 piercing damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Rolls

Shortbow vs Goblin rider - (1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (2) + 7 = 9

1d6+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Horde Breaker, Shortbow vs Worg - (1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (2) + 7 = 9

1d6+3 : (5) + 3 = 8

Hail of Thorns - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Mar 4, 2016 4:40 pm
Ghunril moves to the left of the pack and unleashes his breath attack.
OOC:
I want to prioritize the hellhounds with the blast but if they both cant be hit with the cone I would try and incompass as many enemies as possible
Green (Poison) 15ft cone, 2d6 damage
They get a Con save throw for half damage

Rolls

Poison Breath attack - (2d6)

(21) = 3

Mar 5, 2016 12:51 am
Pawetha's arrows strike the ground at the worg's feet. While the projectiles missed, the thorns that immediately burst forth from them slash and rend into the rider and mount.

Ghunril, steps to the side and gets a clean blast of breath weapon on the whole group. The cloud of poison is quickly inhaled and they all cough and sputter.
OOC:
Xara, Zaris and Kaiakas
Mar 7, 2016 3:02 am
"I'm growing very tired of these damn words!" Zaris says pulling the wand from his belt loop. He stands firmly, raises the slender piece of wood into the air and brings it down slowly in the direction of the worg adding to the pain caused by the thorns.
OOC:
Wand of magic missiles

Rolls

magic missile #1 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

magic missile #2 - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

magic missile #3 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.