Chapter 1, Day 5: The Council at Drellin's Ferry

load previous
Mar 28, 2016 4:38 pm
"Before you go," says Pawetha, "could you show me on that map where these wood elves are? They might become allies if we were to warn them of the impending attack. Assuming they don't already know."
Mar 28, 2016 4:43 pm
"Of course. They live in the marshland along the Rhest Trail and the ruins of Rhest. The Blackfens." She frowns as she looks at the map, "This is a poor map of the region. But this marker here at the top, where they have written 'Saarvith' looks to be the ruins of Rhest, an ancient city that was flooded by the marsh. That's an odd name to give it. The blackfens are along the trail and around the marsh, they have labelled them as part of the Witchwood, but that's geographically inaccurate."
Mar 28, 2016 4:56 pm
"I have an uneasy feeling about all of this," Zaris says putting his coffee cup down for good and standing up. "Xara, you are right. We need to lead these people out of here, and now. And in a way that doesn't incite the panic that you speak of." He walks over to Xara and lays a hand on her shoulder. "What should we do to get them out of here now? I don't think we should wait any longer."
Mar 28, 2016 4:58 pm
Bit of a plan are starting to formulate in the gnome's mind. "They're already packing as we speak," she says to Zaris, before turning back to Teyani. "These northern kingdoms; does Brindol have a good relationship with them? Would they bring an army if the blockade were cleared?"
Last edited March 28, 2016 4:59 pm
Mar 28, 2016 5:03 pm
Teyani shrugs, "We trade. An economic relationship is a pretty solid one, but they're far. If the hoard can move as fast as they've marked on this map, such an army might arrive to find a valley of cinders and ash, occupied by the Red Hand hoard. Then again, unless the blockade is cleared we couldn't send emissaries either way."
Mar 28, 2016 5:09 pm
"If we cross Lake Rhestin from the elves and travel into the Crystal Mist Mountains my clan would send its warriors to defend the vale, we are not the largest clan but we could supply several hundred Dragonborn to the fight." Ghunril gestures vaguely at the upper left corner of the map. "That doesn't help us with the immediate problem of getting these townsfolk out of immediate danger though."
Mar 28, 2016 5:44 pm
Teyani nods, "Haven't seen the guards this town as to offer, but something tells me you three will be more useful to this war effort seeking alliance from the elves, smashing blockades and otherwise helping stall the hoard.. instead of as three more amongst many guards for a large group of travellers."
Mar 28, 2016 5:51 pm
Pawetha sits back in her chair, effectively hiding her face from view. "Saarvith," intones the fox-head hood, closed eyeless sockets deep in thought. "I bet that's another Red Hand leader. It makes sense; the blockade in the north must be supplied from somewhere, and just like Koth's Base in the forest nearby, there'd be someone in charge of it. And it's written in the same goblin script as other notes, so perhaps it's documenting who's in charge of where."

The fox-head looks over at Xara. "If you want a high-ranked kill under your belt, I'll wager it's at Rhest."
Mar 28, 2016 6:21 pm
I finish Zaris' neglected cup of coffee and stand up from the table excitedly. "I like the sound of that! When do we leave?"
Mar 28, 2016 6:28 pm
"After your armor is done, at least," says Pawetha. "I'd like to make sure the town actually starts to leave, too."
Mar 29, 2016 3:41 pm
The Lion of Brindol bows and salutes you once more before leaving the inn with urgency.

After breakfast Pawetha returns to the blacksmith, as she has every day so far, to check on the armor and help him continue packing. Walking through the village she notes that all of the citizen's are hurriedly packing their families into carts and onto horses - looks like today is the day they leave. The town guard are also gathering, guiding people across on the ferry and anxiously waiting for the moment of departure.

She finds the blacksmith exhausted, worn, but smiling broadly, "I've done it! Decided it best to leave myself with the rest of the town today, so I worked through the night to finish this before I left me' forge behind. Afraid I didn't get to the daggers, got a start on them but you'll have to get another blacksmith to finish them. The modifications to the armor though, they're done." He gestures towards Xara's leather armor, which now looks a bit different. Green scales have been set into the weak points, the sides, shoulders, and the chest, providing extra protection for vital and hard to reinforce spots. The whole thing is now covered in bone-studs made of polished bone.
OOC:
Studded Leather with an additional +1 bonus to AC. Additionally, while worn, the wearer has resistance to poison damage, and gains advantage on all saving throws against poison.

You also have 2 half-finished dragonbone daggers. They're useless as daggers, but a good smith could finish them with a day's work.
Mar 29, 2016 4:08 pm
Paws squints her eyes at the armor, and tilts her head as she appraises it. Then, after a casual glance over her shoulder to make sure no one is looking, holds out her fist to the blacksmith in a subdued gesture of appreciation.

"This is bloody brilliant," she growls, grinning ear to ear. "You make your way straight to Brindol and set up shop. I'm looking for you when I get there."
Mar 29, 2016 7:58 pm
OOC:
Fast-fowarding now to the end of Day 7. The rest of the day is spent helping the last of the towns people prepare to evacuate, and seeing the villagers and soldiers onto the road...
As the sun sets over Drellin's Ferry you can't help but feel like means something important. The town is empty. Houses stare vacantly out at silent roads. The sun is beginning to slip below the scar on the horizon that is the Wyrmsmoke mountains. Speaker Wiston takes a deep breath and wipes tears from his eyes with the back of his hand. "It seems we're about out of time," he says. "We'd best be going now if we want to keep ahead of the worg riders."

Captain Soranna nods to you, "You've already done us good, heroes. Without your warning, we'd have all be asleep in our beds when the hoard arrived on our stoops. You've saved many lives already. For that you have my thanks. But I am afraid your work may not be done yet. There's nothing to stop the Red Hand before they reach the walls of Brindol."

"If there's anything more you can do to slow down the Red Hand, we'd be mighty grateful,"
the Speaker says, "I'll personally make sure Lord Jarmaath, the lord of Brindol, knows what you've done for us."
Mar 29, 2016 8:13 pm
"I'm inclined to head north and see about those wood elves," says Pawetha, almost too eager to set foot in the wooded terrain and meet her distant kin. "If we cut straight through The Witchwood, we're bound to come across them on our way to Rhest. They'd be valuable allies if we can convince them to help."
Mar 29, 2016 8:18 pm
Wiston nods, "There's a few routes to Rhest. Normally I'd recommend the Old North Road, but, well, with the hoard, might not be the best route anymore. You could take a boat up the Rhestwash to Lake Rhestin. Or, head east towards Brindol, then, at Talor or Brindol, cross the Elsir River and head north along the Rhest Trail. If's up to you. If you head east, I can give you several horses. If you head north from here, feel free to take any of the boats moored in town..." He sighs deeply and sadly, "We won't need them."
Mar 29, 2016 8:27 pm
Pawetha links her fingers and stretches them out. "Nothing for nothing," she says, rocking on her heels, "but I feel more comfortable with the trees above me. Give me an hour in those woods and I'll have this group skipping through the brush."
OOC:
For the party, forest is my favored terrain so we won't get lost or slowed, and we'll find sustenance
Mar 29, 2016 9:08 pm
"I also agree the trees would be best to hide us from the horde if they have patrols along the river. Getting shot at in a boat doesn't sound like my idea of a good time." Ghunril gestures at the boats moored along the river. "Should we scuttle these so the red hand has no use of them?"
Mar 30, 2016 11:48 am
Soranna replies flatly, "The less the have the better for us. If you won't use them, then destroy them. We've left some traps in the abandoned homes, and have made sure no supplies that are in useful order remain in the town. It's why it took us a few days to prepare."
Mar 30, 2016 4:12 pm
Zaris stands straighter then he has in days. "Yes, lets enlist the help of my fellow elves. I'm sure they are already aware of the Red Hand advancing through their woods."
Mar 30, 2016 5:15 pm
"Hey now, this armor ain't half bad! I wonder what we could make with that red dragon's scales. Red's a bit more my color. Anyway, what are we doing?" I pocket the daggers and immediately forget about them.
OOC:
How much was the armor and weapons again? I can't remember if I deducted the gold yet.
Last edited March 30, 2016 5:15 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.