Experience and Advancement

Dec 22, 2014 2:31 pm
This thread serves as a convenient way to track EXP earned and spent. Since exp spending is fairly constant in Numenera this is a better way than tracking it per sheet. I will update this OP with EXP earned and used. Anytime you want to use EXP to reroll or cancel an intrusion you should post that in the relevant mechanics discussion. If you want to use EXP to advance the character post that here. I will keep a running log in this OP using the modify post feature. I will also post here (soon) what you can spend EXP on and how to advance to a higher tier.

Seyyal: (Current: 1) (Total Earned: 1)
Vizim: (Current: 1) (Total Earned: 1)
Biiliik: (Current: 0) (Total Earned: 0)

Act 1:
Seyyal gains 1 EXP from GM Intrusion
Vizim is given 1 EXP from GM Intrusion
Dec 22, 2014 9:13 pm
A Guide to Advancement

Characters in Numenera are rated by 6 tiers. All starting characters are tier 1. A tier 1 character is far more skilled and special than a normal citizen or even soldier in the world of Numenera, but it is only the surface of what you can do. EXP is spent to gain new tiers. New abilities are granted by both your type (nano, glaive, or jack) and by your focus (ie: hunts with great skill). In order to move up a tier you must purchase all 4 advancement steps towards the new tier. Each step costs 4 EXP and can be purchased at anytime between sessions (or Acts since this is PbP) and in any order. The effects of purchasing the step are immediate. Each step can only be purchased once per tier.

The steps:

Increasing Capabilities: Add 4 points to your stat pools, divided as you see fit
Moving Toward Perfection: Add 1 to your might, speed, or intellect edge
Extra Effort: You max effort increases by 1
Skills: Become trained in any non attack / defense skill of your choice, or improve a trained skill to specialized

Alternative Options: Any of these options can be taken instead of one of the above steps. These choices count toward your steps to the next tier.

Reduce the negative effects of wearing armor by 1
Add a +2 bonus to recovery rolls
Select a new Fighting Move, esotery, or trick of the trade depending on your type

You do not have permission to post in this thread.