Minecraft

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 1, 2016 5:33 pm
Who besides me can't seem to put Minecraft down for good? Specially since I discovered modpacks, I keep playing on cycles of a few months on, a few months off. I use Feed the Beast right now, and I'm finding I love the Infinity modpack. I love playing with the tech, experimenting, and trying to build new, fancy structures.

Who plays? Would a GP server be something people would be interested in?
Apr 1, 2016 5:49 pm
My kids play it a ton -- I rarely join in, but occasionally.
Apr 1, 2016 6:58 pm
I'm like you Keleth. On for a bit then off for some time. I like the role play mods myself. Feels more like a game with accomplishments.
Apr 1, 2016 8:12 pm
Cerris214 says:
I'm like you Keleth. On for a bit then off for some time. I like the role play mods myself. Feels more like a game with accomplishments.
Which ones do you/have you played? I wouldn't mind trying out something more roplay-y. There are some like regrowth which was neat, and this one where the world had "ended", and you were just on a block in the sky; you had to build room to plan stuff, and then grow.

EDIT: It was called Agrarian Skies. I think version 2 of that is out; I should find it and start. Maybe stream it?
Apr 1, 2016 8:47 pm
I'm kinda a minecraft addict. As far as mods I've lately begun to feel that less is more... sort of. I like the ones that add structures, add village parameters. I especially love things that improve basic functions like Ender i/o and storage drawers. But the grindy grindy ones drive me nuts. I'm looking at you AE2, thaumaturgy, etc. My all time fav is definitely tinkers.
Apr 1, 2016 9:01 pm
I've done some from the FTB launcher as well as some from the AT launcher. As far as individual mods, don't usually go that route. I like a more in depth game. So I like the packs with a few mods in them. I've done Magicality, Natural Magic, Crackpack, FTB Magequest, and Galactic Science. Just to name a few.
Last edited April 1, 2016 9:01 pm
Apr 1, 2016 9:11 pm
I'm not sure I'd call AE grindy, but I'd def say it's overly complicated. To make high level stuff requires WAAAAAY too many levels of intermediate crafting, but setting up autocrafting makes it easy. I do like the newer versions of Thaumcraft, and the one currently in dev apparently reduces the grind even more.
Apr 1, 2016 10:51 pm
I play it from time to time. Right now i'm waiting on the 1.9 combat update. Mods leave me "meh". Some of them add cool stuff, but others just go too far IMHO. Then you have the problem that each update breaks your mods... I'd be more interested in learning command codes eventually and start a "modded' server using command blocks instead, thus greatly reducing the risks of updates ruining my "mods"...
Apr 6, 2016 6:16 pm
I've found the inspiration for my next Minecraft build: http://imgur.com/a/ptoyp

http://i.imgur.com/Cw2WWxk.jpg
Apr 6, 2016 7:32 pm
Eh, that usually means hostile mobs falling on your balcony to bid you "good morning"... :P

Add a fence around that and you'll be swell. :P
Apr 6, 2016 7:49 pm
kalajel says:
Eh, that usually means hostile mobs falling on your balcony to bid you "good morning"... :P

Add a fence around that and you'll be swell. :P
What's what? Lava curtain you say?
Apr 6, 2016 7:50 pm
I only have the Pocket Edition of Minecraft, which is REALLY far behind the real version :(
Last edited April 6, 2016 7:50 pm
Apr 6, 2016 7:54 pm
Minecraft is one of the few games I bought, wasn't 100% about, and have easily put in enough hours to have validated paying hundreds of dollars for.
Apr 6, 2016 8:50 pm
Eh, I remember when you could get it back in Alpha for a steal. Best 10$ I ever spent...
Apr 6, 2016 9:12 pm
kalajel says:
Eh, I remember when you could get it back in Alpha for a steal. Best 10$ I ever spent...
I got it when they dropped the price for a few months just when it launched. I think I spent $15. I've put in hundreds of hours.
Apr 6, 2016 9:38 pm
I love some Minecraft, but moved on to Space Engineers now. I have logged 700+ hours on Steam in it. (Most of that is leaving it running while I sleep so Refineries keep working on Ore. :) ) The same company, Keen Software, is also working on Medieval Engineers which is fun too.

Minecraft though, I often argue is one of the greatest game achievements of all time. It's simple, but deep. It's easy to play, but gets complicated if you want. It's highly mod-able and the replay value is insane. It's definitely in the top 5 best games ever made, regardless of what your opinion is on it. It's far from a game for kids, but it's also the perfect game for kids. When my daugther was 10 and 11, she was on build teams, and server teams, and made cities, and all kinds of crap. She learned a lot playing it, how to type well, and many other things just from this $25 game. She always hated me because I built cooler crap then her, but hey, can't let your kids outdo you too much right. :)

If you start a server though, I would play some, why not. Anyone wants to check out Space Engineers, I would be happy to coop build in that as well.

Steam Name: Kiado (Go figure)
Apr 6, 2016 9:57 pm
I have Space Engineers as well, but couldn't get into it. Other than screwing around and building ridiculous things.

I'll add you when I'm home!
Apr 6, 2016 10:38 pm
Space Engineers is probably not for everyone. It's still an in progress game, but they do weekly updates, and add cool new crap all the time. They added Planets recently, as well as Oxygen and Hydrogen management, and some mobs to make Survival a little more interesting. I don't know, I love the idea of hitting a planet/asteroid with little to nothing, and building up bases and ships and mining and refining and all that crap. I kind of backed out of it for a while, but then on whim started watching a Coop Survival Youtube show every once in a while with a few guys that play it all the time. Got me back into it. It's like Minecraft though, I will go hard for 4 to 6 months, and then not touch it for 4 to 6 months until some update or something catches my eye.
Apr 8, 2016 12:21 pm
DMKiado says:
Space Engineers is probably not for everyone. It's still an in progress game, but they do weekly updates, and add cool new crap all the time. They added Planets recently, as well as Oxygen and Hydrogen management, and some mobs to make Survival a little more interesting. I don't know, I love the idea of hitting a planet/asteroid with little to nothing, and building up bases and ships and mining and refining and all that crap. I kind of backed out of it for a while, but then on whim started watching a Coop Survival Youtube show every once in a while with a few guys that play it all the time. Got me back into it. It's like Minecraft though, I will go hard for 4 to 6 months, and then not touch it for 4 to 6 months until some update or something catches my eye.
Thanks for linking this, looks like fun!?

Is there some PvP or at least co-op?
Apr 8, 2016 1:01 pm
JamesGoblin says:
Thanks for linking this, looks like fun!?

Is there some PvP or at least co-op?
There is co-op, and while I haven't played in a bit, pretty sure you can PvP.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.