Mapping your games

Apr 26, 2016 3:14 am
When you're playing IRL, do you/does your group map stuff out? What do you map (everything, encounters, dungeons, etc)? Do you prefer preprinted/drawn maps or do you just draw them on the fly? Do you frequently use minis? Do you use 3d terrain?
Apr 26, 2016 3:16 am
Usually when we play IRL, we use a Whiteboard to draw up encounter maps when have a huge fight...either that, or we use a computer to place the map on the flat screen TV.
Apr 26, 2016 12:56 pm
I usually draw my maps - at least to get a general view of the setting of the adventure. I rarely use minis, however. We use them only when the situation is complex, with multiples ennemies, PC taking cover or obstacles.

The whiteboard for maps on the fly is a good idea ! I'll probably use it in future games.
Apr 26, 2016 1:04 pm
Truth be told, I had never used maps or minis before the last two years or so. The guy who taught me how to play D&D back in the 3rd edition days never used them, and relied on his narrative and our imaginations to set the scene.
Apr 26, 2016 1:07 pm
My DM likes to build the scene up with tiles as we go. It's effective but when I get a turn in the big chair I know that will be out of my price range. I'm going to go down the digital route, maybe strapping my projector under my glass table for encounter maps and putting more large-scale or flavour images on the screen.
Apr 26, 2016 1:34 pm
Well, now that I'm running a game on here, I've decided to rebuild my module's encounter maps using this site. I'll then host them on googledocs, and make them a presentation, giving anyone with the link permission to modify it, so that players will be able to move their counters around. I'd like to say it was my idea, but this is what Dex did in our Dungeonslayers/Starslayers games...
Apr 26, 2016 4:50 pm
That site has a nifty looking encounter map generator, too...but the GM would have to move the tokens each time instead of using the googledocs idea kalajel mentioned.
Apr 26, 2016 5:21 pm
GP used to have a basic mapping software, but it had to be taken down due to massive bugs. Someone offered to build a replacement, but I haven't heard from them in a while.
Apr 26, 2016 5:49 pm
Keleth says:
GP used to have a basic mapping software, but it had to be taken down due to massive bugs. Someone offered to build a replacement, but I haven't heard from them in a while.
That would be so amazing if there was something like that on here
Sep 4, 2017 1:54 am
I use Tavern Keeper - the wiki is good for storing maps. Or if its interactive then Roll20.
Sep 12, 2017 11:48 am
kalajel says:
Well, now that I'm running a game on here, I've decided to rebuild my module's encounter maps using this site. I'll then host them on googledocs, and make them a presentation, giving anyone with the link permission to modify it, so that players will be able to move their counters around. I'd like to say it was my idea, but this is what Dex did in our Dungeonslayers/Starslayers games...
That is an awesome idea. Your idea or not, I give you props for telling me about it!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.