1.0 The Wyr River: Ambushed

load previous
Feb 1, 2015 12:39 pm
Osred hears the words, **Thank you** in his mind. **What happened? I feel so weak!** The unwanted intrusion into Osred's brain does not feel unpleasant, but it is unnerving and surprising. You sense it wasn't intended, but as a direct consequence of Darazen's extreme injuries and lack of control. You know Darazen has never communicated this way with you before. However, if you embrace it you sense the link will be permanent.

The person lying on the ground is looking in poor shape, severely injured and bleeding profusely from his head, although the bleeding seems to have abated. The water revives him somewhat, and Darazen sits up slowly and looks around in shock, blinking in disbelief at the carnage around them. Darazen appears to be tall and slender, even when sitting. His head is clean shaven, or maybe it is naturally so, and he wears large gold loop earrings. His skin is dark as night, but in contrast his eyes are azure blue blazing with intelligence even in his bemused state. A blue gem stone is curiously embedded in the center of his forehead, the color of which exactly matches his eyes. He wears dark green robes adorned with apparently random slashings of finely made golden cord and rope that binds the robe tightly to his body, revealing a youthful, well shaped masculine form.
Feb 1, 2015 2:06 pm
grandmaster says:

The other cypher, found in the bush, it is covered in mud and gunk. You take some time to clean and examine it. This is a challenging cypher to crack. (Give me a 1d20 intellect roll, let me know if you are using esoteries, knowledge, specialization or effort you are spending).

Rolls

Intellect check, specialized - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Feb 1, 2015 2:14 pm
grandmaster says:

There are 137 shins and 6 cyphers.
There is :
A level 4 Cat's Eye that looks weird.
A level 5 Sleep Inducer, wearable patch.
A level 3 Stim, Injector
A level 4 Spatial Warp, large device attachment
A level 4 Speed boost, pill
A level 9 shocker, wearable device
Khoren, while hunched over the wagon, will loudly explain each device to the others.

The Catseye, when injected allows you to see in the dark for 8 hours.
The Sleep Inducer patch puts the victim to sleep for 10 minutes.
The Stim injector decreases the difficulty of the next action by 3 steps.
The Spatial Warp increases the range of another ranged Numenera to 1 mile.
The Speed Boost adss 1 to Speed Edge for one hour.
The Shocker is a ring that delivers a burst of electricity, damage equal to the cypher level.

"Osred! Did you save someone!?"
Feb 1, 2015 7:56 pm
Just remember, you are ALL injured, one more than others.
You can recover as an action (usually done in combat, or when rounds are taken into account), a ten minute rest, one hour and one day. And you recover at 1d6+1 (your tier ). I suspect that you all (or at least one of you) will be recovering.

That being said....

Khoren looks over the other cypher that he found. Anyone looking will see that it is mud covered and he is trying to clean it and learn its secrets. As he turns it over in his hands, it looks more complicated than a traditional cypher, like someone took three or four cyphers and linked them together. As he turns it over in his hand, a piece of mud that has not completely dried causes the device to slip from his hands. As he fumbles as tries to catch it, his hand hits one of the buttons and he activates the device. For a brief second, you see those sights, colors and sound you heard before. The device hits the ground and piece breaks off. The colors stop, but not before doing two (2) damage to your intellect pool.

Khoren: If you want to try to fix or identify it again, it IS indeed a difficult artifact, with three cyphers and each needs an intellect rolls to identify, and one (standard) roll to fix it. It lowered one level from challenging since you took the time already to study it.
Feb 1, 2015 8:30 pm
I'll think I'll wait on the recovery roll for now.
"Nice job, Osred." Utazó says quietly as she gives him a gentle pat on the shoulder. As she walks back towards the stash to discuss the discoveries with Khoren (and possibly lay claim to one of the devices!) she sees that he appears to be inspecting something before dropping it and raising his hands to his head. "Khoren! Are you OK?"
Feb 1, 2015 8:48 pm
Darazen rises to his feet and breathes in deeply as the pain pulses on his head. He closes his eyes and focuses his powers to relieve the pain. (Action: recovery 1d6+1). (1 might, 1 speed, 2 intellect.)
Last edited February 1, 2015 8:49 pm

Rolls

Recovery action - (1d6+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Feb 1, 2015 9:54 pm
Khoren shakes his head trying to clear the rainbows from his vision, then recovers the artifact. Gritting his teeth and bracing himself, he continues focussing on the intriguing find.
Khoren spends effort on all three checks (Intellect Edge, so 3 x 2 = 6 from int pool. Afterwards, he will rest.

Rolls

Intellect check, specialized with effort (ID cypher 1) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Intellect check, specialized with effort (ID cypher 2) - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Intellect check, specialized with effort (ID cypher 3) - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Recovery action (to int pool) - (1d6+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Feb 1, 2015 11:09 pm
Khoren looks exhausted from the effort to figure out this artifact. He puts the object down for a few minutes and rests.
PM (Private Msg) sent to Khoren on his find
Feb 1, 2015 11:22 pm
"Darazen is still with us! I was worried I had made things worse for a second. Khoren is already trying to find a way to pursue the bastards. Can you handle it?" If Darazen doesn't need assistance, Osred will join Khoren to see what happened.
Feb 1, 2015 11:26 pm
Feeling a little better, but not much, Darazen looks around uncertain about what he'd missed.

He notes a few people have survived, and each seems active searching the area. Not sure what to do, he says, "Found anything useful or informative? Let me know if I can be of any assistance."

While waiting for a response he looks around for anything of interest, knowing he is late to the party, and feeling really, really sick.
Feb 1, 2015 11:29 pm
*This is new... are you doing this on purpose?* Osred sees no problem with the link. In many ways it's a more efficient version of his own talents.

I'm not clear if Osred had a chance to use the healing skill on Darazen. I announced that he was using Effort, so it makes a difference.
Feb 1, 2015 11:58 pm
Khoren stands shakily, leaning against the wagon for support. He catches Darazen's eye and smiles grimly, clutching the artifact and pumping it once in his fist in what he hopes is an encouraging manner. "I found this in the bushes, and it may be what these fiends used to escape."

Khoren continues, describing the artifact:
One part of it is a weapon (Sonic Emitter - Intellect attack: Damage 2 per round). It consumes 1 unit of power every two rounds and can be left on, essentially draining the target after a period of time.

The second part is a scanner, of sorts. When pointed at an area, it looks through the earth, rock and such (20 ft at its lowest level). It acts like a ground penetrating radar. You cannot determine details, only shapes and hardnesses and such. There is a power level and if you dial the power up, it looks deeper (10 ft per power level), but that also consumes power. It acts like a snap shot.

The third part was a little harder to figure out and took the longest, but it appears to soften the earth in the area, making it act like water and enabling people and objects to pass through. It too has a power level. On its lowest setting, it will affect a 10ft wide area by 10 ft deep. Dialing the area will widen the area by 10 ft, deepen the area, or both. Each increment takes 2 power units per minute.

Finally, all the parts powered by some sort of power source that you have not seen before. It has a gauge on it and it looks to be about one third full. You are not sure how to recharge it.
Feb 2, 2015 1:09 am
Utazó approaches Khoren, who appears to have mostly recovered from the effect of the dropped device...

"So you think you can use that thing to track whatever the hell those things were?"

Leaning in a bit - "You know when I was younger my father and I, along with some of his friends, would make a yearly trip to different locations along The Wyr in order to fish. It probably wasn’t the smartest or safest way for my father to spend time with me but it was really the only time of the year when we would be able to see each other. He and his friends knew how to handle themselves and I was too young and naive to know just how dangerous the whole thing was."

"Anyway, at night his friends would tell stories in order to try and “scare the little girl”. Most - hell almost all of them were just stupid myths and folk tales that I had heard hundreds of times before. One of them, though, was about men that were made of mud that would quickly form out of the muck to ambush passers-by and disappear just as quickly as they came. After what happened here, I’m starting think there may be more to these mud-men than just myth."
Last edited February 2, 2015 1:12 am
Feb 2, 2015 1:11 am
Darazen views the object in Khoren's hand with extreme curiosity. "Very impressive, my friend. You certainly know your stuff! Perhaps I can offer some more insight?"

(Darazen Scans the object. 2 int-1 edge = 1 int) Too weak to use effort.

Rolls

Scan object - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Feb 2, 2015 1:43 am
With Darazens help, you all are pretty positive this will help you pursue your attackers. You are pretty sure it might be able to used to get you in, but without finding a way to recharge it, it may not get you back.

The question is, it is approaching evening and are you recovered enough to go after them?
Feb 2, 2015 2:31 am
I ask to rest overnight.
(I've changed my post)
Last edited February 2, 2015 3:07 am

Rolls

Recover 10 mins - (1d6+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Recover 1 hour - (1d6+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Recover 10 hours - (1d6+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Feb 2, 2015 2:59 am
Osred was the caravan's physician and he can heal by touch alone. This is common knowledge, and even if no one ask for his services, he will offer to take care of each one's injuries before and after the 10 hour rest.
Feb 2, 2015 3:12 am
Osred hears a voice in his head. **I know there's a lot going on, but I really don't feel well at all.**
Feb 2, 2015 3:49 am
After Osred tends to everyone's injuries and after a nights rest without incident, every one is recovered fully and ready to go and sounds like they want to pursue their attackers.

Everyone gets 2 XP and they don't have to share it. When you all ready to move, to return home, head to your destination, or pursue... Set up your party and let me know.
Feb 2, 2015 4:56 am
Next morning, Darazen asks the group, "As we plan to pursue these madmen, I mean mudmen, do you think we should share the cyphers? It might improve our chances of success."
load next

Thread locked