1.1 - The Wyr River: Into the Earth

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 2, 2015 1:05 pm
Morning breaks and everyone is feeling better. The new day brings new opportunities, and hopes for vengeance and/or justice for your fallen comrades. The dead are buried, but not forgotten. Note was even taken of each plot so that families can be notified.

Divy up the cyphers as you see fit and update your character sheets.

Once the campfire is put out, you all gather around the mud wash as Khoren ensures everyone he knows what he is doing with this artifact. Twisting a few knobs and touching the screen, he aims it at the ground where there was clearly a depression, keeping the device at its lowest power setting trying to conserve what little power remains. The screen shows solid dirt and a few stones. Upping the power just a little more reveals an opening, a small cavern or tunnel, it's hard to tell. It looks, however, large enough for everyone get into.

Looking at the power level, Khoren believes that there is enough power to soften the earth long enough for everyone to get through.

"Who's first?"
Feb 2, 2015 5:26 pm
"I can see in the dark just fine without the cypher, but I can't protect everyone by myself if there's a fight. I'll go first and someone follows with the Cat's Eye ready."
Feb 3, 2015 4:42 am
"I'm ready when you are."
Feb 3, 2015 2:19 pm
"I'll keep the artifact going and descend last, but you better hurry!"
Feb 3, 2015 3:25 pm
Khoren points the device at the ground and presses the button. A slight hum eminates and he indicates to the rest of the party that it is time to go. Osred steps into the depression and is immediately swallowed up by the earth. Without hesitating, Darazen follows and then Utazo. Finally, Khoren steps in holding the device and all that is left are the buzzing of the insects and the sounds of the river flowing by.

Osred drops into a tunnel and is instantly engulfed in darkness, momentarily blinded as all the light of the morning sun suddenly vanishes. Reaching out, he feels a wall in front of him and an air pocket to his right. Hoping the floor holds out, he steps there knowing that if he does not move, Darazen will be landing on top of him.

Almost on queue, he hears the sound of someone else coming through. His eyes adjusting to the darkness, he sees Darazen and reaches out to his arm, "you might want to step this way". Darazen's eyes are wide, trying to take in as much light as they can. He steps to his right Andes starting to see shapes and shadows when Utazo comes down.

Utazo, knowing it was going to be dark, was not ready for this. He knows he stopped, landing on solid ground, but with no light source what so ever, he starts to panic. Can he breath, or has he been buried alive? He feels hands reach out and grab him, pulling him towards them. Are they the hands of demons, or his friends? Instinctively, he reaches for his dagger with one hand and his necklace with the other. More fear as his hand does not find his necklace. The hands release him and he takes a defensive posture. He might not be able to see them, but he will defend himself.

The sound of a hum and the sigh of Khoren when he lands breaks the silence mere seconds later. The artifact's screen adds a chilly, dim light to the room, enough for Utazo and Khoren to see a short distance and assure both the the party is intact and not injured. The power indicator looks almost completely drained; it might be able to fire a few of those sonic attacks, but no more. The power unit needs to be recharged or replaced. Keeping the screen on won't help either.
Looking around, you are in a small chamber, an opening in the tunnel that leads in both directions. The ceiling is about 10-11 foot tall and looks solid. The walls are stone with some ore deposites veined through it. Some sections of the rock give way to dirt, packed tight and re-enforced with a synth netting. Surely this tunnel is not as natural as it appears at first.

The path north turns east almost immediately and the floor starts to lead up while the ceiling does not. About 15 ft in, a small pool of water has formed from the trickle coming from the wall. As the tunnel continues, it turns north again for 30 ft before the floor meets the ceiling.

The tunnel to the south seems more open and turns gradually to the east with a slight declination. The floor seems more worn and there are scraps of man made materials. The walls become less dirt and more stone, worked in some areas, but mostly natural. After about 100 yards or so, the tunnel splits, continuing east or south.

Those in front will see a glow coming from the southern tunnel. Stopped here, there are sounds of someone or something moving to the south.

A rush of wind momentarily blows from the east and a stench rides it. There are sounds, feint, but there none the less coming from the eastern tunnel as well.

(intellect roll to perceive more details).
Feb 3, 2015 4:28 pm
"I hope that smell isn't any of you guys?" Darazen states humorously.
Focusing his senses, Darazen tries to determine the significance of the smell and the movement.

(Intellect check was to recognize smell - apply knowledge, no effort)
Last edited February 3, 2015 9:34 pm

Rolls

Intelligence roll - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Feb 3, 2015 5:48 pm
(I want to add, if people are not claiming the cyphers I can carry 2 more)
Feb 3, 2015 6:37 pm
There isn't any cypher I want to claim, but we should decide who carries what. May become important later. Osred can safely carry 2. There's enough daggers for everyone, and one other for each. Again, I'll just take whichever is left.
Merlin, what do we know about Darazen? What was his job in the company?

Osred will search the surroundings.

Rolls

Intellect roll - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Feb 3, 2015 7:06 pm
KNaranek says:
There isn't any cypher I want to claim, but we should decide who carries what. May become important later. Osred can safely carry 2. There's enough daggers for everyone, and one other for each. Again, I'll just take whichever is left.
Merlin, what do we know about Darazen? What was his job in the company?

Osred will search the surroundings.
Remember, all activity checks are a 1D20.
Feb 3, 2015 7:13 pm
You have seen Darazen around camp, but he isn't particularly sociable, usually buried in his books, studying. He was introduced to you by the captain as the caravan academic. His role is to gather information for the company, and interpret it if possible. You have already witnessed a couple of his skills, namely telepathy and scanning.
Feb 3, 2015 7:32 pm
GM note: Technically, there were three areas or rooms to search. Since we have a diverse group, spread over the world, I want to give everyone a chance to read and explore. If you searching or examining anything, please tell me where and what you are looking at. Also, I am trying to tell you the difficulties for activities (when applicable)... Please make sure you telling me any effort or skill you mighta be applying.
Feb 3, 2015 8:26 pm
Khoren shuts down the artifact, and stows it away securely. It may be the only way out. Drawing two punch daggers, he hunkers into a stealthy crouch. Making eye-contact with each of the others in turn and a giving a slight nod to each, he leads the way toward the east, senses keenly focused for impending danger.

Rolls

Intellect check, investigating the eastern tunnel - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Feb 3, 2015 11:04 pm
Recovering from her initial panic and finally regaining her senses Utazó quietly says, "I'm going to take a look at this southern tunnel, maybe follow it for a short distance and report back here." With her right hand on the hilt of her sword she slowly works her way down the tunnel inspecting what she can as she moves along.

Rolls

Intellect Roll for inspection - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Feb 4, 2015 12:25 am
(Not sure if out of line here, GM please correct if needed)

A figure stumbles from the southern tunnel that Utazo is inspecting, hand on a strange curved weapon. Her red/black cloak is streaked with mud, and her eyes are wild. She breathes heavily.

"Who-who are you?!"
Feb 4, 2015 4:15 am
Uncertain about what is happening, and whether the new arrival is friend or foe, Darazen refocuses his attention on the new arrival. noticing she doesn't appear to be a mudman, he attempts the read her body language. Is she a threat?

(Intellect check - friend or foe?)

She hears a voice in her head, **stand down**
Last edited February 4, 2015 4:16 am

Rolls

Friend or foe? - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Feb 4, 2015 4:24 am
Darazen, you are very certain this is a friend.
Feb 4, 2015 4:36 am
"I don't like people who don't mess with my head. Next time, you lose yours," the woman sbarls. Her grip tightens on the hilt of her sword. "Now answer me, with no mind games. Who are you?"
Feb 4, 2015 4:54 am
Khoren, hearing the exchange behind him, pauses, and waits for the commotion to escalate or to subside. Trusting his companions, he keeps his attention mainly focused on further threats that may be drawn from the east tunnel.
Feb 4, 2015 10:55 am
grandmaster says:
Darazen, you are very certain this is a friend.
Or should I say, she is not one of the mudmen you are chasing.
Feb 4, 2015 11:38 am
Osred puts away his dagger and steps forward.
"My name is Osred. The last thing that found us killed most us, so we're not in a good mood. Your turn."
He'll try to defuse the tension, trained social interaction skill check.

Rolls

Social interaction skill check - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Feb 4, 2015 12:14 pm
So many Fumbles.... a GM's dream... sometimes. PMs on the way.
Feb 4, 2015 12:33 pm
grandmaster says:
Osred fumbling every first interaction with a new player will become a tradition.
Since I already failed to live up to my descriptor and my focus, I'm accepting suggestions on how to fail as a Jack.
Feb 4, 2015 12:47 pm
Qralloq says:
Khoren shuts down the artifact, and stows it away securely. It may be the only way out. Drawing two punch daggers, he hunkers into a stealthy crouch. Making eye-contact with each of the others in turn and a giving a slight nod to each, he leads the way toward the east, senses keenly focused for impending danger.
Wifts of stench drift on the air, air that should be still. As you pass the intersection into the east, a slight commotion is heard behind you. You turn and see a young woman rush into the rest of your party. She has a hand on the hilt of a curved blade and the other holds a glow globe, set on its lowest setting and offering dim light. While dirty, she does not appear to be one of the mud men.

You turn again to the east, listening, searching. There... that stench again. Focusing ahead in the eastern tunnel, you see a glow and hear the sounds of footfalls. One, two, three, 4 5 6.... you think you hear 6 people. The sound echos and it is hard to tell.

About 50 yards ahead, a man appears, then a second... they came from the right, appearing out of the wall. Then a third, holding a light stick. You see in the shadows dancing ahead an archway on the left, and the two in front continue walking. The third turns around, looking from where he came. He lifts his hand and makes a gesture. A forth man enters your sight, pulling on a rope. As he approaches the arch, you see a creature being led, rope around its neck. As it approaches the arch and the third man, it lashes out. The person holding the rope tugs tight, preventing it from reaching his comrade. One of the first two steps back into the intersection and points a device at the creature. It wails in pain and crumples to its knees.
Feb 4, 2015 12:50 pm
KNaranek says:
grandmaster says:
Osred fumbling every first interaction with a new player will become a tradition.
Since I already failed to live up to my descriptor and my focus, I'm accepting suggestions on how to fail as a Jack.
Since this fumble is player interaction, I have sent a PM to the person you are trying to interact with giving him suggestions. Ultimately, the decision shall be his.
Feb 4, 2015 2:31 pm
Beset from both sides, I hope she isn't an enemy. A fight would draw and alarm these others and their ... captive. Khoren looks around with shaded eyes for signs from the insects, but the light is too dim. He sheathes a dagger and exercises some small hedge magic, making his cloak flutter gently as if in a soft zephyr. Feeling better, he turns back towards the intersection.

Khoren backs up slowly, near the side of the tunnel, and whispers "There are about 6 men ahead, and they're leading and controlling some kind of a creature that seems to hate them for it." Trying to catch the eye of the cloaked woman, he wraps his own cloak around him to obscure his own outline, and approaches a step closer. "New woman, we mean you no harm, but we're hunting mudmen who slaughtered the rest of our company. We need to know if these people are friendly, or should we set up an ambush at this juncture?" Under the cloak, he adjusts the grip on his punch daggers, warily eyeing her weapon.
Feb 4, 2015 4:50 pm
Kaizival says:
"I don't like people who don't mess with my head. Next time, you lose yours," the woman sbarls. Her grip tightens on the hilt of her sword. "Now answer me, with no mind games. Who are you?"
Darazen bristles at the response. Speaking in a whisper he says, "Really? You are out numbered and you want to start a fight? Relax, put your weapon away and we will be good. In case you haven't noticed we are in a tense situation here, we are trying to be quiet, which is why I spoke to you silently. There's no time to explain who we are. Either join us as a friend or be on your way. Either option we won't harm you. Attack us, and you won't be the only problem we have."
Last edited February 4, 2015 4:51 pm
Feb 5, 2015 12:01 am
Hearing what Khoren has just observed, Utazó turns her attention away from the mysterious woman and slowly works past Khoren to keep an eye on things behind the others. We're wasting time with this woman while we should be figuring out what the hell is going with those men that Khoren saw - she mutters to her self as she crouches down, hand on the hilt of the captain's old sword.

She is not actively doing anything here, just keeping on eye on things as the others tend to the new arrival.
Feb 5, 2015 12:11 am
The woman grasps the situation with a slight blush. (whispers) "Okay, okay, you lot just startled me!
Well now that we're friends, any bright ideas?" She nervously smiles, then fully draws her elegantly curved blade. "Because the mudmen were behind me last I checked."
Last edited February 5, 2015 12:15 am
Feb 5, 2015 1:26 am
szemely says:
Hearing what Khoren has just observed, Utazó turns her attention away from the mysterious woman and slowly works past Khoren to keep an eye on things behind the others. We're wasting time with this woman while we should be figuring out what the hell is going with those men that Khoren saw - she mutters to her self as she crouches down, hand on the hilt of the captain's old sword.

She is not actively doing anything here, just keeping on eye on things as the others tend to the new arrival.
You work your way up to where says he was. A man enters the archway and foots falls are fading. He stops and turns, looking back the way he came, then turns north and then south. He is staring right at you, or at least in general direction.

(Speed check 1D20, how stealthy are you?)
Feb 5, 2015 1:56 am
Khoren, Yui, Osred and Darazen: As things start to calm down, you realize that there is no longer a glow coming from the south tunnel. You are hearing a clicking sound, skittering and a sound like something is being dragged, but no footfalls.
Feb 5, 2015 2:16 am
grandmaster says:
You work your way up to where says he was. A man enters the archway and foots falls are fading. He stops and turns, looking back the way he came, then turns north and then south. He is staring right at you, or at least in general direction.

Utazó freezes in place, trying to keep as still as possible...

Rolls

Speed Check with one level of effort. - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Feb 5, 2015 2:28 am
szemely says:
grandmaster says:

Utazó freezes in place, trying to keep as still as possible...
He looks right past you, waits a moment or two and then turns into the arch and disappears.
Feb 5, 2015 2:36 am
(whispers) "sounds like insects..."

I'll listen closely and hope I pick any other sounds up...

(intellect roll to listen)
Last edited February 5, 2015 2:41 am

Rolls

1d20

(14) = 14

Feb 5, 2015 2:42 am
Her curiosity piqued, Utazó will work her way slowly towards where Khoren first saw the men, carefully inspecting her surroundings as she moves. "I'm just going to take a peek up ahead a bit and see what I can find."

Rolls

Intelligence Check (just in case one is needed as she's inspecting) - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Feb 5, 2015 3:15 am
Kaizival says:
(whispers) "sounds like insects..."

I'll listen closely and hope I pick any other sounds up...

(intellect roll to listen)
Indeed, the chittering reminds you of young Slicer Beetles, and from the sounds of it, there must be two or three in the cavern. You also know there is more room to move around in there, and the sound might not carry as far.
Feb 5, 2015 3:20 am
szemely says:
Her curiosity piqued, Utazó will work her way slowly towards where Khoren first saw the men, carefully inspecting her surroundings as she moves. "I'm just going to take a peek up ahead a bit and see what I can find."
You get closer to the arch, hugging the walls and embracing the darkness. There is no sign of movement, even the footfalls have died. The paths to and from the archways are definitely not natural, and the path is smoother, more worn, and there are no discernible tracks.
Feb 5, 2015 3:42 am
grandmaster says:
You get closer to the arch, hugging the walls and embracing the darkness. There is no sign of movement, even the footfalls have died. The paths to and from the archways are definitely not natural, and the path is smoother, more worn, and there are no discernible tracks.
No harm in looking a little further I suppose... and then, back to the others.

Utazó will work her way carefully into the arch and follow the path for a short distance. She moves slowly, lightly dragging her hand along the right side of the corridor, more to keep herself oriented in case she needs to make a quick retreat than anything else.
Last edited February 5, 2015 3:42 am
Feb 5, 2015 3:46 am
szemely says:
grandmaster says:
No harm in looking a little further I suppose... and then, back to the others.

Utazó will work her way carefully into the arch and follow the path for a short distance. She moves slowly, lightly dragging her hand along the right side of the corridor, more to keep herself oriented in case she needs to make a quick retreat than anything else.
Working you way into the tunnel....

i need two rolls, a speed roll for stealth and an intellect roll for perception
Feb 5, 2015 3:49 am
grandmaster says:
That's it for me tonight. Having a good time with this!

Rolls

Straight Stealth Roll - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Straight Intellect Roll - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Feb 5, 2015 4:42 am
Darazen nods and whispers to Kai, "Glad to have you along. But you came from the south, and you saw mudmen that way, with the bugs?"

It seems that there are threats all around them, but at least the girl has calmed down, and now there's only two to deal with.

Noting Utazo and Khoren are scouting to the east, and there appears to be insects to the south, Darazen decides prudence is wiser than valor. Tensing to react, Darazen continues to monitor the southern noises, hoping they don't approach, while staying alert to a signal from the scouts.
Feb 5, 2015 5:22 am
Yui nods and flicks some mud off her cloak. Alert, Yui examines the chamber, while examining Darazen and Osred (whats he up to?) out of the corner of her eye. Her hands seem drawn to handholds in the wall.
Last edited February 5, 2015 5:24 am

Rolls

Intellect-examine chamber - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Intellect with skill-examine Darazen and Osred - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Feb 5, 2015 2:12 pm
szemely says:
grandmaster says:
That's it for me tonight. Having a good time with this!
You cling to the wall, to the shadows without issue for about 25 yards. There are scraps, bones and trash at the edges, pushed and kicked aside. The tunnel starts to turn northward, going down further. Any further and you may lose sight, contact with your party.
Feb 5, 2015 2:29 pm
Khoren considers the situation for a moment. His intuition tells him that this crossroads in the tunnel is a precarious base of operations.

In a low voice, Khoren says "It seems we're safe for a minute or two. We have a few options. The mudmen decimated our caravan before anyone could mount a defense using blowgun shaped numenera. We could go that way, " he continues, pointing south, "and attempt to take them down fast. We could go that way," pointing east, "if we think they are controlled by those men and we want to disable the men first. Or we could go the other way, perhaps in hopes of finding better weapons."

"Does anyone have any hunches of which way to go?"
Feb 5, 2015 2:39 pm
Merlin says:
Darazen nods and whispers to Kai, "Glad to have you along. But you came from the south, and you saw mudmen that way, with the bugs?"

It seems that there are threats all around them, but at least the girl has calmed down, and now there's only two to deal with.

Noting Utazo and Khoren are scouting to the east, and there appears to be insects to the south, Darazen decides prudence is wiser than valor. Tensing to react, Darazen continues to monitor the southern noises, hoping they don't approach, while staying alert to a signal from the scouts.
The scouts have disappeared from sight, but they do that, using the shadows and nooks to make themselves invisible,mst you are not too worried, especially since no alarm has been sounded.

Yui looks over the others, sizing them up. "Sorry for the confusion, I ducked into this southern cavern after being chased by these 'mud men'. I threw a glow stick and an old dagger I had found down a tunnel", she says pointing to where the archways are, "to make some noise and throw them off. I thought it had worked. But then I heard the chittering behind me in the cavern and noises from out here. If those are slicer beatles....I thought my odds would be better out here. With all of you here, we could probably make short work of these insects. Follow me."

With that, Yui edges around the edge and into the south cavern.
Feb 5, 2015 3:24 pm
Darazen follows Yui to the south and signals the remainder of the group to stick together.

Not really knowing what to expect, Darazen start to sort through his memories for types of insects, and particularly the aforementioned "slicer beetles". He hopes to recall something about them that might give them a combat advantage. After all, Darazen is hardly a front-line fighter.

Rolls

Intellect check with knowledge skill, trained, no effort - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Feb 5, 2015 3:28 pm
Encounter:

In the southern cavern, there is a small Slicer Beetle nest containing two youths. Each is about 7 feet tall/long. There is no sign of the adult.

Slicer Beetles 5(15)
Slicer beetles shed their tough carapaces three times during their lives. In the first two stages, these creatures look like well-armored, six-eyed beetles with front piercers designed to slice through flesh, bone, and most types of armor. They grow to nearly 12 feet (3.7 m) high in their second stage.

http://www.numenerajournals.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/slicerBeetle.jpg

Health: 15
Damage Inflicted: 5
Armor: 3 (Physical Only)
Movement: Short
Combat: Slicer beetles are the kings of piercing and tearing, using their pointed front legs to stab through and rip into flesh, bone, and armor. Young slicer beetles deal 5 points of damage, adults deal 7 points of damage, and wizens deal 10 points of damage.
Additionally, each time that a slicer beetle successfully attacks, the victim must make a level 5 Speed defense roll or his armor is torn apart and destroyed.

1D20 Roll Intitiave

To determine who goes first, second, and so on in a round, each player makes a Speed roll called an initiative roll. Most of the time, it’s only important to know which characters act before the NPCs and which act after the NPCs. On an initiative roll, a character who rolls higher than an NPC’s target number takes her action before the NPC does. As with all target numbers, an NPC’s initiative roll target number is three times the NPC’s level. (Corebook: page 90)
Feb 5, 2015 4:46 pm
Osred readies his sword.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Feb 5, 2015 5:18 pm
Darazen takes a step back in astonishment when he sees the two beetles. (ooc: Ringo and George, he thinks. only joking). He had read about these monsters, but nothing prepared him for seeing them in real life. Seven feet long, even for a baby, is pretty gigantic when you see how ugly and threatening they are, mandibles and all. **I'm going to have to take notes if we survive this. The company might be interested in the information.**

He states to the group, as he readies for battle, "Careful, they bite, and they are heavily armored." Darazen backs off, not wishing to engage in melee, but draws his punch dagger just in case.

(well, at least my initiative reflects my actions... and at least it wasn't a one!)
Last edited February 5, 2015 7:37 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Feb 5, 2015 5:46 pm
Khoren readies his punch daggers and prepares to charge into melee.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Feb 5, 2015 10:43 pm
Damn, looks like they're gone.

Fighting her urge to continue searching the tunnel any further Utazó decides it's time to rejoin the group. Unaware of the new developments that have occurred in her absence, she turns around and slowly starts walking back towards the others.
Feb 5, 2015 10:58 pm
szemely says:

Fighting her urge to continue searching the tunnel any further Utazó decides it's time to rejoin the group. Unaware of the new developments that have occurred in her absence, she turns around and slowly starts walking back towards the others.
Speed roll, please
Feb 5, 2015 11:05 pm
grandmaster says:
szemely says:

Speed roll, please

Rolls

Straight Speed Roll - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Feb 6, 2015 2:17 am
Yui quickly sheathes the katana and draws a dagger located above the former's scabbard. "We should try to hit the eyes, as they are unarmored. If you can distract them, I can try to hit em'!"

(OOC: Has anyone read my post in the Q + A for this game? I think it would make the game a bit more fun. Thanks!)
Last edited February 6, 2015 2:23 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Feb 6, 2015 3:33 am
szemely says:
grandmaster says:
szemely says:

Speed roll, please
As you head back, you see something that you missed on the way in, a light beam across the floor. It is tiny and a very deep red, but it beams from the edge of one wall to the edge of the other. You are not sure if you tripped it (broke the beam) on the way in; but then again, if you had, wouldn't someone be there to check it out? You carefully step over it and make note that it is there. Watching for more, you see none and make you way to the southern cavern.
Feb 6, 2015 3:42 am
grandmaster says:
As you head back, you see something that you missed on the way in, a light beam across the floor. It is tiny and a very deep red, but it beams from the edge of one wall to the edge of the other. You are not sure if you tripped it (broke the beam) on the way in; but then again, if you had, wouldn't someone be there to check it out? You carefully step over it and make note that it is there. Watching for more, you see none and make you way to the southern cavern.
Has she found the others yet? I'm assuming she'll have to wait a round or two before joining in the fun with the slicer beetles.
Feb 6, 2015 3:55 am
R:1 - Khoren charges into battle, daggers drawn. He makes a quick observation of the rocks, foot holds and such in the room and decides where it would be best to spring up from. He gets just within springing distance. You will be able to leap into an attack next round.

R:1 - The beetles rear up slightly, but do not move forward. Raising their piercers, they appear slow. The chitter increases to a higher pitch, surely trying to draw attention from something. Seeing Khoren as easy prey, the nearest one tries to leap forward, but is held back.

R:1 - Orsed, your action? Then Utazó (who is still moving back to for two rounds), Yui and last Darazen.
Feb 6, 2015 4:07 am
Darazen is slowest to react, but focusing his mind to bypass armor he attempts to harm a beetle through a mental onslaught (2 damage bypassing armor if successful).

Rolls

Onslaught, mental only, with effort - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Feb 6, 2015 6:02 am
Yui hotheadedly tries to rush around the beetle that is focused on Khoren, hoping to take advantage of it's distraction, and then climb up its back and then stab it in it's unarmored eyes with her dagger and a previously hidden forearm blade (dual wielding)

(GM, I don't know how you want to split up this action, as I don't think it would be fair to do all of the above in one round if Khoren can only run forward in his round, so for now Yui is trying to run around the giant beetle, preparing to rodeo it.)
Last edited February 6, 2015 6:07 am
Feb 6, 2015 10:28 am
Osred sees Khoren up to something and decides to wait to attack together.
**Darazen, wait up. Let's go all at once.**
Feb 6, 2015 12:03 pm
Kaizival says:
Yui hotheadedly tries to rush around the beetle that is focused on Khoren, hoping to take advantage of it's distraction, and then climb up its back and then stab it in it's unarmored eyes with her dagger and a previously hidden forearm blade (dual wielding)

(GM, I don't know how you want to split up this action, as I don't think it would be fair to do all of the above in one round if Khoren can only run forward in his round, so for now Yui is trying to run around the giant beetle, preparing to rodeo it.)
Thanks.....it will indeed be two actions to do that. An action is usually 5-6 seconds long. I will post the actions and results like above.
Feb 6, 2015 12:47 pm
Is it wrong for the combat to be in red? ;)

R:1 - Utazó is almost there. Seeing the others drawing weapons and charging into the cavern. "Damnit, I'm going to miss the fight." Still, caution is key in these caverns. You will be at the cavern entrance at the end of the next round.

R:1 - Yui charges in after Khoren and likewise looks for a place to spring. Stealth is no longer an option, but distraction is and she hopes that Khoren looks like a better meal than she does. Seeing an outcropping, she maneuvers there, ready to spring with her dagger and arm blade gripped tightly.

R:1 - Darazen steps into the entrance and sees two slicer beetles, young ones and begins to concentrate. Darazen's hand raises in a dramatic effect, focusing on the closest Slicer (SB1). Its head rolls back and it chitters loudly. (2 dmg).

R:1 - Orsed looks around and sees some jockeying for position and Darazen holding back, he opts to act with Darazen. Other than jockeying your position and wanting to act together, you did not give me an attack or defence action. If you were wanting to aid (be an asset) to Darazen or something else, PM me

Top of the round to: Khoren, who was ready to spring.

Who is doing what? (Next round of actions)
Feb 6, 2015 2:22 pm
As that attack seemed to hurt the beetle, Darazen will try it again, on the same beetle.
Last edited February 6, 2015 2:23 pm

Rolls

Onslaught - mental, no effort - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Feb 6, 2015 2:23 pm
Seeing one of the large insects rear its head back and chitter alarmingly, Khoren rushes up and attacks it with both punch daggers (dual wielding) hoping the short blades will find a vulnerable spot.

Rolls

Melee attack, punch dagger 1 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Melee attack, punch dagger 2 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Feb 6, 2015 2:49 pm
Remember, every but YUI a has two XP....and that CAN be spent to reroll a single roll....just sayin'

also,make sure you have that stuff in your character sheet. I will often consult a GM sheet I keep, but sometime I need to go back to you sheets.

Feb 6, 2015 2:58 pm
Osred targets the same beetle, hoping it'll be overwhelmed from the massive attack. He'll try to hit a joint or wherever there's less armor.

Rolls

Sword attack, with Effort for damage - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Feb 6, 2015 6:41 pm
Hoping Khoren and Osred are enough of a distraction, Yui runs full tilt around the beetle. Using her experiences running and jumping from building to building in cities (parkour skill), and particularly her understanding of momentum, she attempts to use a rock as a springboard, and land on the distracted beetle's back.

(I won't roll for running past the beetle, as I think Yui's success in that task relies on Khoren and Osred, and should be left to our GM.)

Rolls

Jump on beetle's back-speed pool effort and (if GM allows) parkour skill - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Feb 6, 2015 7:38 pm
There are two beetles, (SB1) and (SB2). Since no one has said which they are attacking, I am choosing your targets for you. :)

I hope it all works out for you. ;)
Feb 6, 2015 7:46 pm
(The GM grins wickedly at his soon to be ironic false words of encouragement...)

I want to jump on the one that Khoren and Osred are going after. Have I achieved liftoff, and landed on the beetle? (But tell the others what happens to them first).
Feb 6, 2015 8:08 pm
Kaizival says:
(The GM grins wickedly at his soon to be ironic false words of encouragement...)

I want to jump on the one that Khoren and Osred are going after. Have I achieved liftoff, and landed on the beetle? (But tell the others what happens to them first).
Don't worry, I am a "fair" GM in that I give the monsters AND the players the same advantages and disadvantages. I also read your attacks and used that to justify the next round of actions (to be posted next).
Feb 6, 2015 8:24 pm
Round two

R:2 - Khoren springs up to try to catch the beetle (SB1) in a vulnerable spot. One dagger sinks into the fold between two carapace plates (2 dmg), while the second dagger seems to bounce off.

R:2 - The beetle, (SB1), raises his piercers and strikes Khoren (Khoren - defense roll, see below). The other beetle (SB2) sees the party rush in an swarm its comrade. It lunges forward, trying to intercept the puny human charging in. Piercers out, it launches into the air about 10 feet before it is stopped, mid air and drops to the ground.

R:2 - Utazó arrives at the entrance of the southern cavern. She sees Darazen and Orsed back near her, Darazen with his hand raised towards two Slicer Beetles. Both beetles are being very vocal, raising a ruckess. You see Khoren under the throat of one, dagger buried to the hilt.

R:2 - Yui finds a stone to spring from and a foot hold in the wall to push off of. With grace, she lands on the back of one of the beetles (SB1) while avoiding the spikes and sinks both daggers into two (of the six) eyes (2 dmg per dagger for a total of 4).

R:2 - Darazen, seeing the beast chitter in pain, steps forward and repeats his attack. Darazen's hand raised in a dramatic effect, give a push like motion to the closest Slicer (SB1). (2 dmg).

R:2 - Orsed charges in, sword raised and attacks (SB1). He sees his target, a seemingly soft spot on the creatures side. The sword finds it's mark and pierces the plate. Green goops explodes out, covering the sword and your arm. (4 dmg).

Total Damage Taken(SB1): 14
Total Damage Taken(SB2): 0

Need a defense roll (level 4) from Khoren (Note: If you fail, you will take 5 might damage and then you need a speed defense roll next (level 4). If you fail that one two, your armor is destroyed. If you have no armor, then it does an addition 5 pts might damage.)

After that is resolved, it is back to the top of the round. Who is doing what?

Feb 6, 2015 8:42 pm
Yui lets go of her daggers, leaving them embedded in the beetle's eyes, and draws her katana while attempting to hold onto the writhing beetle, she will try to stab the blade into another of it's eyes, with a yell of "Gaahhhh!"

Rolls

Stab beetle in eye-no effort - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Hold onto beetle-speed effort - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Feb 6, 2015 8:51 pm
Defense Roll with effort, speed roll with effort if defense roll fails.
Khoren will continue to attack the same beetle with both punch daggers.

Rolls

Defense with effort - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Provisional speed defense with effort (if fails def above) - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Punch dagger attack 1 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Punch dagger attack 2 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Feb 6, 2015 9:03 pm
Utazó thinking that the second beetle appears to be trapped decides to test that theory. She remains at the entrance of the chamber and ducks down to try and remain out of the beetle's field of view. Concentrating, she crafts a minor illusion (cost is 1 Intellect, but she has 1 Edge on intellect, so it's free). Directly in front of where the beetle had fallen to the ground Utazó creates an image of herself and has that illusion yell at the top of its lungs "I THINK THEY'RE TRAPPED!! COME AND GET ME YOU STUPID BEETLE!!"
Last edited February 6, 2015 9:04 pm
Feb 6, 2015 9:11 pm
Just a reminder, as you are readying your next actions.... keep in mind how much damage has been done to each creature. I posted it at the bottom on this encounter. SB1 is nearly dead (14/15). So, if you are planning on dealing the killing blow, or beating a dead horse, I will let you. However, if you post an alternative action, I will let you do that. Who knows, everyone COULD miss; but if they do not and you are still focused on SB1, you will be "beating a dead insect".
Feb 6, 2015 9:20 pm
Results of the Creatures attack: The beetle (SB1) unsuccessfully attacks Khoren as he sees the piercer coming and twists out of the way (ooc: Effort does help).
Feb 6, 2015 9:44 pm
szemely says:
Utazó thinking that the second beetle appears to be trapped decides to test that theory. She remains at the entrance of the chamber and ducks down to try and remain out of the beetle's field of view. Concentrating, she crafts a minor illusion (cost is 1 Intellect, but she has 1 Edge on intellect, so it's free). Directly in front of where the beetle had fallen to the ground Utazó creates an image of herself and has that illusion yell at the top of its lungs "I THINK THEY'RE TRAPPED!! COME AND GET ME YOU STUPID BEETLE!!"
OOC: Flash back to MiB!
Quote:
Eat me, you stupid bug...eat me!

What are you doing? Are you crazy?

I'm going for my gun! EAT ME!
End Flashback
Feb 6, 2015 9:56 pm
Osred continues to attack the injured beetle if it's still alive, if not, he turns his attention (and sword) to the other.

Rolls

Sword attack, no effort - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Feb 6, 2015 11:08 pm
Darazen sees the first beetle is really sick and focuses on beetle two.

Rolls

Onslaught - mental - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Feb 6, 2015 11:34 pm
Round Three

R:3 - Khoren, twisting from that last attack, sees a crack in the plate near where Osred's blade went in. Another softspot... he lunges and misses with his first swing, but makes contact with the second. The hit was so hard that Khoren pushed through the shell up to his wrist (5 dmg).

R:3 - The beetle, having been hit several times in vital places (SB1) falls to the ground dead. The other beetle (SB2) stands and looks Khoren. Its chitter sounds like a snort, if a chitter even could sound that way. It raises its piercers and and tries to strike (defense roll, Khoren, see below).

R:3 - A stranger lands on top of the other beetle with a scream (SB2), sword staff pointed down drives into the beast (9 dmg).

R:3 - Utazó hides behind a rock and crafts her illusion. From no where appears and image of Utazó, standing in from of the second beetle. "I THINK THEY'RE TRAPPED!! COME AND GET ME YOU STUPID BEETLE!!", everyone hears her scream.

R:3 - Yui releases her daggers and pulls her Katana while trying to ride the beast. She aims and misses as the beast is falling to the ground. She does, however, manage to keep in the saddle.

R:3 - Darazen, seeing the other beetle going down turns his attention to the second beetle (SB2) and raises his hand. His eyes fixation on the creature and he attempts his mental attack. The noise, commotion and the shift from one creature to another causes his concentration to break and he misses.

R:3 - Orsed, his arm and sword covered in blood from the first beetle turns his attention to the second. He takes a few steps and plunges his sword into the second beetle (SB2) and takes a moment to twist, slicing the inards and drenching his arm even more (6 dmg).

The second beetle never gets the chance to stand back up.

Total Damage Taken(SB1): 19/15 (Dead)
Total Damage Taken(SB2): 15/15 (Dead)

Need a defense roll (level 4) from Khoren (it did get an attack in this round) (Note: If you fail, you will take 5 might damage and then you need a speed defense roll next (level 4). If you fail that one two, your armor is destroyed. If you have no armor, then it does an addition 5 pts might damage.)

Feb 7, 2015 12:15 am
Defense roll with effort

Rolls

Defense roll with effort - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Feb 7, 2015 1:04 am
The stranger wears no armor and is wearing a metal mask on her face, though she has an Explorers pack, her sword staff, and a heavy crossbow on her back. She looks around and, after realizing all the bugs are dead, removes her sword staff from the creature back. She grabs a small piece of cloth from the side of her pack and starts to clean the blade of her weapon.
In a casual voice she says "Sorry to just drop in like that. I'm Tara. Any idea what happened to the Captains wagon?" You can tell that although she's not in an aggressive stance, she has not relaxed her guard.
Last edited February 7, 2015 1:23 pm
Feb 7, 2015 1:22 am
"Well, Tara, personally I have no clue what happened to the wagon. But I have to say that was an impressive entrance. I know who to stand behind next time there's trouble."

While, cautious of Tara, Darazen begins to search the area inhabited by the beetles.
Last edited February 7, 2015 2:25 pm

Rolls

Search (intellect?) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Feb 7, 2015 2:07 pm
"Thanks for the help. Not one serious injury. Right? Anyone needs me to take a look?"
Orsred cleans his arm and checks if the muck is dangerous. He'll also try to discern the newcomer's intentions.

Rolls

Healing skill check for the blood, trained - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Discern intentions, trained - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Feb 7, 2015 2:31 pm
Utazó walks over towards the second dead beetle, convinced that it was being held in this place. "That was one hell of a commotion. I'm sure who ever was keeping these things here knows something isn't right." As she passes her illusionary self, she turns and looks it right in the face, "creeps me out every time" she thinks to herself before ending the illusion and focusing on the area around the second beetle.

Utazó will search the area around the beetle, looking for something that might have been latching it in place. I wonder if that creature Khoren saw is being held someplace else in these tunnels.

Rolls

Intellect Roll with Effort - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Feb 7, 2015 3:22 pm
Khoren uses hedge magic to clean his daggers before tucking back away, all the while taking sideways measure of the newcomers. This Tara mentioned the captain's wagon, and Darazen answered her question. Were they in our company? Curse this dim light! "We welcome your assistance, Tara. We are searching for the perpetrators of the attack on the caravan above, with intention of retrieving the stolen goods. Would you share this task with us?"

Khoren cautiously examines the slicer beetle corpses, especially the 'slicer' parts, wondering if they could be used as a weapon.
Are there any exits from the slicer room, barring the one we entered?

Rolls

Intellect check, examine slicers for usable bits - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Feb 7, 2015 4:57 pm
The metal mask changes to a smile and Tara nods to Darazen.
The metal mask changes again to mild surprise as utazo comes out of hiding to apparently talk to herself..
Tara then looks over at Khoren after finishing cleaning her blade and attaching the rag back to her backpack, "I would be happy to be of assistance. He was a good man, and would hate for his reputation to be smirched by a lost delivery.. even in death."

Thread locked