Chapter 1 - The Red Waterfall

Feb 2, 2015 10:21 pm
The morning of 5 Alturiak came cold and dark. You had been living in the farming city of Elturel for almost a year now. A simpler life of farming felt good; A real sense of accomplishment. You were enjoying be anonymous and people keeping to themselves. That was until the 5th day of the Claw of Winter.

As the sun crept up over the horizon the peaceful sound of morning was interrupted by the heavy trampling of mounted horses. The Hellriders-the guards of the village-returned from a scouting mission. They made their way to the barracks near the town square, pulling up their mounts and coming to a stop. Strapped to the back of one of the horses was one of their own, to what was left of him. As they lowered his body to the ground you could see that the skin of his face and upper body had been burned badly. So badly that you could not recognize the man. You heard one of the men whisper his name Darious, and shake his head in pity. This poor thing looked nothing like the man Darious that you knew.

Twenty minutes had passed and then crowd had grown to see what the commotion was about. By then the city leader, Lord Taveen Dhelt had arrived and was speaking with the leader of the guard, Aven Kairoos.
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/c/c3/Elturel.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110529184343

[note="""]Please use the opening post to recount how and why you ended up in this village and your reactions to the dead soldier being brought back.[/note]
Feb 5, 2015 7:32 pm
After spending a year in mercenary service to a beholder warlord and doing things I wasn't terribly proud of, I put away enough money to buy out the rest of my contract and looked for someplace quiet and boring to recuperate. And so I ended up here.

I can't help but take a kind of professional interest in what happened to Darious and how the town plans to deal with the situation, whatever it is. I wander closer to get a better look, and maybe eavesdrop on the Hellriders.
Feb 5, 2015 10:42 pm
I adjusted my inch-thick spectacles, trying to peer over the shoulder of a large man in front of me. A thick lump formed in the center of my stomach as my eyes locked on the guard's mangled corpse, strewn on the ground. I had read plenty of books about murders and mysteries, sure, but to see one myself was an entirely different experience, I felt the color drain from my face as I looked onto it, my eyes drawn to it against my will. Yet I quickly averted my gaze, flustered and pale at what I had just seen. Elturel had always been a relatively safe place, sure there was the occasional thief, but never this. It had always been a place filled with people I could call a friend, no matter how different we were - but now to see one of those men, one of my friends, one of the first men to great me when I arrived here a year ago, lying on the ground as a charred shadow of himself...

I've always been quite sheltered, admittedly, even after I moved from my father's Keep to the Watchful Order mage academy in Waterdeep. The Tower of Order had acted as my shield, protecting me from murders, monsters, and any brutality running rampant in the rest of Faerun. Before that I had always been under my father's disapproving eye and my mother's sheltering arms - I hadn't even seen an Orc until I was almost 14. And Elturel had always been a nice little town, relatively safe from outside scourges, and a perfect place to practice my Magic in my spare time when I hadn't been working part time as a farmhand, far from the kind of brutality laying on the ground not thirty feet from me. I wiped my spectacles clean on my shirt and looked back at Darious's corpse, this time shuddering a bit less. If this was what the rest of the world was like then I supposed I ought to do something about it.

Doing my best to slink through the crowd, I attempted to get closer to Taveen, hoping to hear what was going on. I would do whatever I could to help Elturel and stop this from happening again. I wasn't much of a warrior, far from burly as any of the other farmhands, but I had been practicing magic for almost two years now, both with and without the Watchful Order, and in another month I would be twenty. Besides, Elturel had always been kind to me, perhaps this incident would give me a chance to pay the people back. I may have flunked out of the Watchful Order, but I refused to fail now.
Feb 6, 2015 12:07 am
Elturel had been good to Kicsi over the last year. After having spent most of her life training at the the Ten Points Monastery in Luton the time had come to strike out on her own. She didn’t want to, life at the monastery was good, happy, and it was all she had ever known. Some of her favorite memories growing up revolved around the yearly trips her and the other brothers (even the females of the order were referred to as brothers) would take to remote villages in order to offer assistance and look for potential recruits. She had particularly fond memories of her trip to Elturel as a young monk, so when the time had come to leave the monastery (as all brothers must upon reaching a certain age) she didn’t have too much trouble deciding where she would go.

Working in the fields during the day was hard work but it helped to keep her mind off of the monastery and her brothers; both of which she missed dearly. Slowly, however, she adjusted to her new life. She had made a few friends and was even teaching some of the youngsters the ways of her order. Elturel was becoming home - a home that had suddenly been violated by who or whatever had done this to Darious. After bowing her head in silent prayer for Darious and his family she worked her way through the crowd in an attempt to hear what had happened.
Feb 6, 2015 2:20 am
Life was good in Elturel. It had been a quite town. Being one of the few Dwarves in the town, I've always stood out. The rumors of my blessing also made me well known. This, I always used to my advantage, especially when it came to starting my tavern - The Brewer's Den. Elturel was the perfect town for inexpensive, quality goods to craft my famous Dwarven Ale.

It just so happens, that when the ancient blessed me, it told me to wait in Elturel and I would know when it was time to begin my journey. My destiny. This must be the day. Unfortunately the beginning of my journey seems to be marked by the death of a good friend Darious. Darious was always the joking sort, he would visit The Brewer's Den often. Many a good times we had playing dice together and he always was the first to try my latest batch of ale.

I could see the crowd gathering through the window of my tavern. I quickly served the last order and told my waitress Laurel to take over. This didn't matter much as most of the customers had already cleared out to see the commotion. I push my way to the front of the crowd and cry out "Darious, laddy! Who did this to ye!" I then check his body to see if my cleric training would serve him in any way.
Feb 7, 2015 9:06 pm
Ghelin pushed away some of the guards to get a better look at Darious but the leader, Aven Kairoos, stood in the way. "There is nothing that can be done Master Dwarf. We've tried everything that was possible. The flames were simply too much to overcome," he said in a gentle voice resting a gloved hand on Ghelin's shoulder.

"What happened here Aven?" Lord Taveen Dhelt asked.

"It was the waterfall my lord," he replied looking back down at the horribly burnt body of one of his most experienced and trusted men. "It began to flow red again. Darious approached it and when he was no more than a few feet away the water....it turned to flame. He was engulfed before we even knew what was happening.
Feb 8, 2015 12:42 am
Arjen says:
"It was the wonderful my lord,"
[OOC: Is this supposed to say waterfall? Also, I'm just going to write in 3rd person from now on, I think it flows a bit better.]

Mac emerged from the crowd, standing next to the Dwarf. He glanced down at Ghelin, although the pair were not close friends Mac was an occasional visitor to The Brewer's Den and he knew Ghelin to be a good man. "Excuse my, my Lord," interrupted Mac, "I heard what Mr. Kairoos just said and I believe I may be of some assistance. This sounds like the work of Magic, perhaps the waterfall is enchanted. Would you mind elaborating a bit on what happened and its history? Did anything particular draw you there while scouting? I might be able to figure out something - I used to be a student of Evocation in Waterdeep."

This was finally Mac's chance, he had been learning about magic for years but this incident was finally an opportunity to put his knowledge to use. He was convinced that this was the work of some kind of magic based on the description, and perhaps his knowledge could come to use for the village.
Feb 8, 2015 11:49 pm
"Lord Taveen, where is this waterfall? And what do you mean 'again'? Has this happened before?"

Ghelin nodded towards Mac, sensing his urgency and his commitment to solving this tragedy. Maybe he would be a usefull ally in the inevitable journey to Ghelin's destiny. Ghelin knew his world was changing, he would be sorrowed to leave his tavern, everything he built. One goal completed, he was itching for another goal, with a more exciting journey. Even danger seemed thrilling after decades of being a brewmaster.
Feb 9, 2015 2:43 am
"Yes, it would seem to be some sort of the Art, that I agree," Aven responded to Mac. "I'm glad you arrived wizard, as I am certain we will need your help."

"The waterfall is not more than a half day's ride from here," Lord Taveen said. His face was grim and his tone was one of utter contempt. "It's done this twice now, bleeding as it were. A horse got too close the first time we saw it and met the same grisly fate as our dear friend here." He looked down at Darious and shook his head. "We sent men to Candlekeep hoping one of the sages there would be able to help but they have not returned."

Lord Tavern looks Gmelin and Mac over sternly. "If you think your knowledge of the arcane is detailed enough, go take a look," he finished. "Okay, everyone, back to it. We have things to do and this man's burial to plan for," he shouted before walking back to the Hellrider's quarters with Aven.
Feb 9, 2015 2:55 am
Kicsi over hearing the conversation between them approaches Ghelin and Mac. "I've never heard of such a thing in my previous travels. I would be interested in traveling with you and offering my assistance. Perhaps some sort of explanation would help bring some small bit of peace to Darious' loved ones."
Last edited February 10, 2015 2:13 am
Feb 9, 2015 8:23 pm
Ewan looks over the three strangers who have just volunteered to go investigate this bloody, flaming waterfall and shakes his head. Do they know what they're getting into? It could be some cruel enchantment, but flowing bodies of water made of fire and blood -- that smacks of planar influence to him. And he can't just idle away his days resting in this town if something of THAT nature is so close at hand.

"You there -- you're going to see this waterfall?" he asks them. "If you've no objection, I'd like to go with you. I don't like what I'm hearing about it and I want to see it for myself."
Feb 10, 2015 1:00 am
Ghelin looks over the two new voices stepping out of the crowd. Two familiar faces, acquaintances from around town. Kikci and Ewan they were always more capable than other folks around town and seemed to have good heads on their shoulders.

"Your companionship is most welcome. It looks like we have four able bodies. A good number. We can watch each other's backs while we travel to figure out this mystery." Ghelin says. "Let us see justice done for Darious's family and to protect this city we call home."

"Shall we gather a few supplies, horses and meet back here, say in an hour?"
Feb 10, 2015 2:21 am
The halfling nods at Ghelin and and answers in Dwarvish, "Excellent!".

Speaking to the newly formed group while staring at the ground, "An hour will be sufficient for me. I will gather some supplies and see about acquiring a smallish mount from the stables."
Feb 10, 2015 4:36 am
"An hour should be find for me as well," Replied Mac, "I just need to grab my spellbook and wand, some supplies, and try to find myself a horse."

Mac shot the group a smile, he was really just a boy but for a split second Mac Bartle looked like a man. He had trained his whole life for this chance, a chance to put his Wizardry to use and finally help someone. Mac adjusted his spectacles once more and silently vowed to bring justice to Darious with his new found allies.
Feb 10, 2015 5:18 pm
[Could I do some Persuasion at the stables to try and talk whoever's in charge into loaning us horses?]
Feb 10, 2015 10:27 pm
[Yes, a roll for the horses seems in order.]

Morning turned to noon as you each went about your business preparing for the journey south to the waterfall, just outside Fort Morninglord. The weather was cold, a strong breeze coming out of the north but it felt warmer given the intense sunshine in the cloudless sky. It would be a half day's ride from here you knew putting you in to the area by dusk. You all hoped that it would be an uneventful trip.
Feb 10, 2015 10:55 pm
Ghelin hurriedly prepared his backpack with all the things he could think to bring on an adventure. He had an inkling that he would need more than just rations and water. He told Laurel, his waitress, that he would be gone for the day, maybe longer; and that she would be be in charge of the evening preparations for the tavern. If she needed help, she could hire one of the local youngsters for the day.

Ghelin then walked over to the fireplace mantle. He eyed the Warhammer hanging above. This warhammer had been handed down from his great grandfather who fought in the Weeping War. He told the warhammer, "It is time you see action again. I just hope I'll live up to grandfather's name."
Feb 11, 2015 5:01 pm
Ewan tries to convince the stablemaster to loan us some horses for the good of Elturel. He's not above dropping some hints that his ancestry might give him some special insight into the dire nature of the waterfall situation, even if that isn't strictly true. Might as well take some advantage from having been born as this.
Last edited March 3, 2015 4:59 pm

Rolls

Persuasion check - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Feb 11, 2015 9:03 pm
Mac hurridly gathered his things from his room. He already prepared some spells for the day, and just needed his spellbook and supplies. This was finally Mac's chance, an opportunity to be a real wizard and put his training to practice. Done packing, Mac turned to leave his hut, and was half way out the door before he realized he missed the most important thing. Mac spun seound and opened up a crowded drawer. After about a minute of rifling through it, he pulled out a delicate mahogany wand. This was the wand he used back in the academy, and now for the first time since he left it was back in his hands. Mac made certain to place it in his frontmost pocket. On the other side of his robe he placed a dagger with the same care. It was really just a pocket knife, but Mac didn't want to take chances. Mac looked through his bag once again to make sure everything was right, and when he finished the young wizard headed back to town, and making sure to bring money to buy equipment with.

[I'm going to buy a bedroll, a waterskin, a glass bottle, a tent, and 10 days of rations. This comes up to 5 gold and 52 silver going by the Basic Rules prices. I'm also going to make sure my waterskin is filled with water from the well.]
Last edited February 11, 2015 9:12 pm
Feb 11, 2015 10:20 pm
The smell of manure and hay fills Ewan's nostrils as he approaches the stables. A medium sized white colt with a shock of black down its back snorted as he passed. Marin, the owner of the stables, greets you with a smile. You explain your circumstances.

"I'm sorry Ewan, I'd love to help you out but with this Darious tragedy has had the Hellriders taking more of the horses. I'm already losing money on that," he replied, with the sound of resentment in his voice. "I'm sure you understand," he added before turning back to finish grooming another of the colts.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.