Chapter 2, Day 11

May 30, 2016 12:37 am
You wake to find the elves have prepared you a simple breakfast of local flora, fruits and dried meats. Not just enough for breakfast, but a care package of the same for a meal later in the day. When you get yourselves sorted, Killian shows you to a small canoe and teaches you how to portage it safely and to take care of the vessel. When your meal and lessons are finished, you are set on your way to Rhest. It's a long, but relatively uneventful, ride down the river towards the ruins of Rhest.

A large, dark lake broods in the marshland here, measuring nearly two miles wide. The cloying reek of decaying vegetation and swamp ooze is thick in the air, and countless frogs and insects and marsh birds chirp and croak and call to each other. Out near the middle of the lake, dozens of decrepit stone buildings just from the black waters. In most cases, these buildings sag and lean treacherously, the windows of their upper stories now even with the still lake's surface. Two buildings that seem to have survived relatively intact draw your attention-- one a large stone tower, about a quater-mile from the southern shore (2), and the other a large stone building near the lake's center (3). Both structures have rickety wooden walkways ringing them at water level. These look like recent additions, it would seem that someone has made an attempt to settle down here.

You can see a variety of streams lead into the lake. At each intersection point there appear to be huts on stilts above the black water (1).
OOC:
Overview of Rhest - you are just off the map, towards the bottom right corner
May 30, 2016 6:24 pm
Pawetha gestures to the shore to moor and conceal their boat. She suggests that they continue on foot for now. "Let's scout the area, figure out who lives in these huts, and see what can be seen in those central buildings."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

May 30, 2016 6:48 pm
Pawetha narrows her eyes and examines the huts... they are rickety, and clearly not made by craftsmen. She notices a couple figures milling about the hut nearest the group, one of the two that is built where the stream they had been following meets the small lake that used to be the city of Rhest. She identifies them as lizardfolk, and they appear to be preparing nets and harpoons - probably readying themselves to go hunting in the lake.
May 31, 2016 3:35 am
"Anything that needs to be taken out? Dragons, maybe?" I've got my rapier ready to go. It's been a few days since we've been in combat (ages, really) and this trip is starting to feel a lot less exciting than I thought it would be.
May 31, 2016 3:34 pm
Zaris looks at Xara with a bothered look upon his face. "Why must it all be about violence with you Xara?" he asks in an even tone. "We really should leave it as our last resort," he adds before looking back towards the lizard folk. He tries to recall if he has read anything about whether they are a hostile race.

Rolls

History - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Arcana - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

May 31, 2016 3:37 pm
"I made friends with a giant, didn't I? Didn't work out so well for him though." a momentary look of sadness crosses my face before I'm distracted by the scene in front of us.
May 31, 2016 3:43 pm
A frown crosses Zaris's face at the mention of the giant. "We owe him our lives.
May 31, 2016 4:22 pm
"You two are speaking loud enough to wake a dead centipede," hisses Pawetha. "There's no easy way to get to the center; gotta find a means to sneak in and maybe these lizardfolk are the key." She returns her focus on studying the outlying huts and the activity within.

Rolls

Nature (Lizardfolk) - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Perception - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

May 31, 2016 4:38 pm
Pawetha notices some activity within the huts as well. There's more than just the couple preparing for a hunt, maybe six or seven per hut (on the map each "1" is a hut).

Zaris recalls reading about lizardfolk in his time at the academy. They are a sentient species, hunters by nature. Usually they live in tight knit tribal societies, and clans don't tend to cooperate with each other. They are, rumour has it, fond of dragons, and are willing to overlook their natural distrust of other lizardfolk clans if the other clans also serve, or more likely worship, the same dragon.
Jun 1, 2016 5:15 am
"I could run down there and check it out? Other than that, I've got nothing..."
Jun 1, 2016 7:17 am
"We should probably avoid making any new enemies." I finally offer my opinion, concerned for any unnecessary conflicts and delays.
Jun 1, 2016 12:51 pm
"I don't recall anything about them being outwardly hostile towards others, unless we are viewed as a threat." Zaris says, eyeing the motion in the huts with curiosity. He looks towards Xara. "You sneaking in sounds like a great idea; not making new enemies as Kaiakas says."
Last edited June 1, 2016 7:52 pm
Jun 1, 2016 3:40 pm
"Are they working with the Red Hand, though?" asks Pawetha. "They're all camped on the outskirts of this lake, and what we're after is in the center, either of those two tower-things. It doesn't look like they're laying siege to the place."
Jun 1, 2016 3:57 pm
"So they're here by... coincidence?" This strategerizing is giving me a headache.
Last edited June 1, 2016 3:57 pm
Jun 1, 2016 4:02 pm
Pawetha briefly takes her eyes off the lizardfolk to consider things. "Well, if they're allies, they may be acting as a guard for whoever's in the middle, Saarvith maybe. If they're not allies, there must be some sort of arrangement between them and the Red Hand, otherwise why hang around?"
Jun 1, 2016 8:59 pm
"This might just be where they ended up after being displaced during the Red Hands advance. Though it is suspicious that they seem to be either hunting or protecting something in those towers. I also don't know if my appearance will be a bain or a boon to our interactions with them if we do decide to engage in anything other than assault." Ghunril shrugs to indicate his willingness to follow the group in whatever decision is made.
Jun 1, 2016 9:06 pm
By now, the two lizardfolk who were preparing nets and harpoons have climbed into a reed boat with their fishing tools and pushed off into the lake. Two more lizards emerge from the hut and sit on the shore, feet in the water, and start mending and making more nets.
Jun 1, 2016 9:09 pm
"If we must pass by them, perhaps Xara should discover their allegiances, if any." I give a small wink to her. "And if they are not with the Red Hand, then we will seek permission to pass."
Jun 1, 2016 9:11 pm
"Let's continue to watch," suggests Pawetha. "Sneaking in is good, and diplomacy might work, but I'm getting suspicious. Notice how they don't seem cautious around the water? I'm guessing they don't have to fear from those harrowblades."
Jun 1, 2016 9:17 pm
While they're all discussing the plans, I circle down towards the water to try and get a closer look at the lizard-folk.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

Perception - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.