Valoris Khan

Feb 5, 2015 11:05 pm
So I was thinking I wanted to play a Hired Gun/Bodyguard, but I don't like the pilot skill because I don't want to take away from our guy that's already a pilot. Is it possible to replace that with a less character-invasive skill? My suggestion would be resilience.
Feb 5, 2015 11:11 pm
Having it as backup is a good idea. For one thing, there's no need to buy ranks in it if you don't want them. Your default skill level will be your Agility stat for the size of the dice pool, ranks will just upgrade your dice pool and make you more likely to succeed. Though, what if you picked up a Z-95 or TIE somewhere?

Also, the Hired Gun/Heavy is available if you want it.
Feb 6, 2015 3:14 am
Alright, I think I'll go with the heavy for the increased firepower. Now for backstory: I was thinking he's a veteran of the Clone Wars, maybe even a clone that deserted when Order 66 came down (Technically imposible, but his chip could have malfunctioned or something). Now he's just a mercenary trying to make ends meet by selling his trigger finger to people he finds agreeable. The fact that he's a clone makes him shy away from non-business social contact as it could get him caught by someone who figures out what he is and turns him in to the Imperials. He's gunna be kinda gruff and standoffish, but mostly just want to keep to himself. He's tired of fighting, but it's all he has left. It's what he was bred for, and he's got a feeling he's gunna have to do a lot more of it before he's finally free of it.
Feb 6, 2015 3:28 am
If he's a clone war vet, he'll either have been raised later in the war or will be pretty old. You could perhaps work that into his obligation (expensive medical treatments, gene research) or motivation. Or pick something entirely different. I'm sure some of the other guys might have suggestions toward that end.

I also think I know which character you're basing him off. ;)

I'll help you roll up a character tomorrow. (Or someone else with a rulebook can pitch in.) It's pretty simple, and I suggest we base him off the Human race; it'll come in handy because you get 2 free ranks in different non-career skills.
Feb 6, 2015 3:26 pm
Just a thought, but if Kenny has AoR the soldier spec there would fit... I actually did something similar to this as a "standby" character for my Tuesday night FLGS open game slot (I built extra characters so there would be something to choose from if someone came in to play). I use the AoR soldier spec because that's his 'background' and he is a Clone that was created toward the end. He had a medical issue that caused his chip to not force him into Order 66. Since he was "laid up" in medical care at the time he heard about it rather than get caught in the middle, and went AWOL first chance he got.
Feb 8, 2015 2:45 pm
Alright, Khan is ready to go except for defenses. What are they, and how do I get them?
Feb 8, 2015 7:06 pm
Defense is typically from stance (Defensive Stance is +1 defense VS melee), armor like a shield belt or stormtrooper armor, or from certain talents. It's also not a thing starting-level characters would typically have. That's a future thing.

A heavy blaster rifle is great in a serious engagement, but usually won't be allowed in places like cantinas. The biggest you might get away with is a carbine or bowcaster. You might want to take a light/holdout blaster with you for cantina/corporate settings.

I noticed a few things you might want to fix.

- I misquoted the starting credits, which is 500. This was my mistake, but since you've got easily $1k to spare that's not a huge issue. That'd take your credits to 500 base + 2500 from obligation - gear.
- You forgot to increase your soak by your armor (+2, for a total of 5)
- The Heavy Blaster Rifle is damage 11
Feb 8, 2015 8:49 pm
Thanks, I think I've got everything fixed and ready to go then.
Feb 15, 2015 5:32 pm
Final Concept Post: My designation is ARC-9203. I am an ARC trooper, or I was, back when that actually meant something. I was born to protect. I am a guardian of that which needs deffending, and I fought a hundred battles on a hundred worlds to deffend the people of the Republic. There is a special kind of bond forged in the fires of war. Our Jedi CO, Master Valoris Merin, was as much my brother as any trooper. He led us through Hell and back, and we all shared the scars that showed it. After I charged a clanker gun line with nothing but a jet pack and a pack of thermal detonators, he gave me the name "Khan" for the Kaleesh warriors-generals. He was also the one who dragged my corpse to a medic after I got myself sniped by a clanker commando on Utapau. I owe the man my life, but I never got to repay that debt. While I was on a medical station in the Outer Rim, Order 66 came down. My brothers became mindless slaves and the Jedi were exterminated across the galaxy. Everything the Republic Army stood for was thrown away, so I had no reason to stay. I don't know what made me immune to the control my brothers were placed under, but I knew there was no way I could go back. I hijacked a shuttle and crashed on a small, agrarian world somewhere near Tatooine. There was a family who took me in and nursed me back to health, Ulan was the man's name. He helped me hide from the Imperial search teams looking for their missing ARC trooper. Luckily, I was able to repay him when the time came. A crew of thugs looking to profit from post-war destruction came to his farm to demand tribute. I was happy to pay them in injuries rather than credits. After that I spent several months with Ulan and his wife, Emera, but after a while I had to keep moving. When the Imperials secured the system where Ulan lived, he gave me enough cash to get off world. I took the name Valoris as a tribute to the man I couldn't protect, swearing I'd do everything I could to protect the people who needed it. I spent the next few years taking bodyguard contracts to make ends meet. Bodyguard work was reasonably profitable, and after a time I was able to gain a bit of a professional reputation in the Outer Rim. A few weeks ago I took a job here on Svivren at the Thaali Research Institute protecting Dr. Eliasan. I saw from the records that she's never had a security detail before, so I'll bet she's cooked up something big, and there'll be plenty of people looking to get her for it. Over my dead body...
Last edited February 15, 2015 5:43 pm
Feb 15, 2015 5:42 pm
ABLE TO WHAT?! You can't leave me hanging like that.
Feb 15, 2015 5:43 pm
Accidentally posted it before I was done.
Last edited February 15, 2015 5:43 pm
Feb 15, 2015 5:46 pm
Well ok then. I appreciate the resolution. Cool back story too, but how are you not old and decrepit by this point? I thought clones only lived a couple decades before burning out from their accelerated lifespans.
Feb 15, 2015 5:53 pm
It's only been about 25 years since I was born, plus ARC troopers have had a lot of genetic modification and are made differently than the other clones. While there are plenty of regular troops who are promoted to ARC, most ARCs are bred to be ARCs from the start and are made differently.
Feb 15, 2015 5:55 pm
Mkay then. Just don't want my buddy keeling over on me any time soon, yanno?
Feb 15, 2015 5:58 pm
Our game takes place in ~1 ABY, so he could be as young as 20 but that isn't likely. He's probably around 23 or so. So he probably does look like a middle aged man, rather than a 20 year old. And there were efforts by some to stop the accelerated aging on Mandalore. We'll probably deal with his aging later in the story.

Edit: typing on an iPad is slow, just saw the responses above. But I'll leave this here.
Oct 4, 2015 12:04 pm
Piloting (Planetary), Ranged (Light), and Perception all go to level 1 (all career, 5xp apiece). Barrage talent from Bodyguard for the final 5xp.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.