Character Generation

load previous
Jun 14, 2016 11:30 am
PhantomNimbus says:
With stats in place for armor I can submit the character later today. I'm trying to imagine my character at 20. It's strange to think of how a character would progress that far ahead. I'll try to get that up today too.
Yah, thinking about level 20 is weird, but it's also why I'm not expecting you to stat/item out your character. Just, who do you see your character being? What kind of person do they become? What kind of things are they likely to have done or been known for? Basically, what do you plan on playing, extended and expounded.
Jun 14, 2016 2:27 pm
Alright, updated the character with level 20 stuff. For actual character creation can we do standard array, or should we roll stats?
Jun 14, 2016 2:39 pm
Keleth says:
Naatkinson says:
How should we roll up our characters? Rolling, point buy, array?
Point buy, but you have 30 points instead of the standard 27. You will be able to buy a starting 16 for 12 points, but only one stat to 16.

I think we just have one person who hasn't yet given input on what they'd like to play; I'll already PMed them. In fairness to the rest of you, I'm going to give them till the weekend, then I'll prob drop them and continue on with 5.
Jun 14, 2016 3:04 pm
Awesome. Thanks.
Jun 14, 2016 4:03 pm
Alright, I've got what I need from 4 of you guys now! Just need to finish up with Naatkinson and fenrymerk and we'll start up the game. You'll have time to finish up your character; I expect the first few pages to just be RP.
Jun 14, 2016 4:11 pm
One quick question on the magical stuff. I assume we start with nothing, but a Wizard needs a spellbook to ready his spells and stuff, so without it I would basically have no access to level 1 spells...which I'm cool with narratively however we want to work that.

For Cantrips are those something we can always do without that book of spells? By the description it sounds like Cantrips are spells we are so familiar with we can cast them at will without much effort.

I'm mostly looking to get a take on how you would like to rule that kind of stuff in game.
Jun 14, 2016 4:25 pm
For your character, I'm going to allow cantrips without needing a spellbok. I actually have a (hopefully) neat idea for you and your spells for your spellbook.
Jun 14, 2016 4:26 pm
I'm always open to new narrative ideas on that concept. :)
Jun 14, 2016 4:30 pm
Just speaking rules-as-written (and the way it was laid out in Out of the Abyss):

1. You don't need your spellbook for cantrips, ever. They're locked into your mind.

2. You only need your spellbook to CHANGE your prepared spells after they're prepared. Technically, this means that if you don't ever change your prepared spells, your don't even need a spellbook. So you have whatever spells prepared that you did before you lost your spellbook.

DM mileage may vary!
Jun 14, 2016 4:45 pm
Naatkinson says:
Just speaking rules-as-written (and the way it was laid out in Out of the Abyss):

1. You don't need your spellbook for cantrips, ever. They're locked into your mind.

2. You only need your spellbook to CHANGE your prepared spells after they're prepared. Technically, this means that if you don't ever change your prepared spells, your don't even need a spellbook. So you have whatever spells prepared that you did before you lost your spellbook.

DM mileage may vary!
Nice to know that clarification, I don't have Out of the Abyss so I was just trying to extrapolate from the base PHB.
Jun 14, 2016 4:49 pm
PhantomNimbus says:
Naatkinson says:

DM mileage may vary!
Nice to know that clarification, I don't have Out of the Abyss so I was just trying to extrapolate from the base PHB.
Likewise, thanks for the info! Specially for PhantomNimbus's char, basic spells locked into his mind makes sense. I do have a spellbook alternative for him though.
Jun 14, 2016 4:51 pm
If it is etched into my armor, we may have had the same thought process. :)
Jun 14, 2016 4:56 pm
It's in the PHB as written, but it's not easy to see:

Spellbook
At 1st level, you have a spellbook containing six 1st- level wizard spells of your choice. Your spellbook is the repository of the wizard spells you know, except your cantrips, which are fixed in your mind.

Preparing and Casting Spells
1. You prepare the list of wizard spells that are available for you to cast. To do so, choose a number of wizard spells from your spellbook equal to your Intelligence modifier + your wizard level (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

2. Casting the spell doesn’t remove it from your list of prepared spells.

3. You can CHANGE your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of wizard spells requires time spent studying your spellbook and memorizing the incantations and gestures you must make to cast the spell: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

That's how you extrapolate!
Jun 14, 2016 4:57 pm
PhantomNimbus says:
If it is etched into my armor, we may have had the same thought process. :)
Aaaaand now my idea's ruined, great, no more spells for you.

Just kidding of course. I did consider that, but then I thought, every wizard needs to have his spellbook stolen at one point or another; how do people steal pieces of your armor without you losing you? :p
Jun 15, 2016 4:53 pm
I submitted my character sheet. I'm going to add my familiar to it. I've listed out the 1st level spells I have, and the prepared ones. As I'm sure we start empty handed I have the cantrips and the prepared spells I assume. So I can only use those until I can find my spellbook to change them. At least that is what I'm guessing.
Jun 15, 2016 7:14 pm
Will I have the same issue with spells as I'm meant to have a Druidic focus?
Jun 15, 2016 7:16 pm
I guess mine also depends on the presence of a focus. Though without it I can still cast if I can find components.
Jun 15, 2016 7:16 pm
In a sense. I was in another game where we started with no equipment, spell foci included. All that means is that clerics and druids can't cast any spells that require material components, but it doesn't restrict you from preparing a spell that only needs verbal and somatic.
Jun 15, 2016 7:19 pm
And the resourceful can find some components if they look hard enough. :)
Jul 16, 2016 2:17 pm
Hi folks, I'm going to be playing a (Forest) Gnome Rogue, small & stealthy!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.