1.2 - The Wyr River: A stranger among you.

Feb 7, 2015 7:38 pm
I grew up doing pencil and paper style games, and post and play on the old BBSs. We did not have fancy mapping software and we were not that concerned with miniatures and grids. This takes me back. So, that being said, I drew a quick sketch of the map as you know it.

http://www.numeneraJournals.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/assassin-heart-cavern1.png

The blue sections/scribbles are water, shallow pools most likely coming from the Wyr River above.

The southern cavern is where you are all at now, with two dead slicer beetles.

After Tara introduces herself to the party, she goes about cleaning herself and her weapons. Osred stands up straight, showing Tara some respect and starts cleaning his weapons and himself as well. He examines the blood and fluid to see if it has any unusual properties and find none.

After some waves of his hands, Khoren looks fresh and clean. No one would have guessed he was just in a battle for his life. He walks over to the first beetle and offers to help Yui off, but after seeing that move to mount the beast, he is not that she would need his help. Still... He looks over the beetle, looking for some way to perhaps re-use parts of these beasts. He looks over at Tara and asks her to tell him more about why she is looking for the captain and how she got there.

Darazen, not turning his back on Tara, moves over to the nest with the beetles. He sees Utazó standing there, but senses she is somewhere else. A moment later, Utazó is beside herself and one disappears. Together they start searching the nest. Utazó knows something was holding these here and she wants to know what. She finds the lower part of the bodies of each has a synth rope attached to the wall near the floor. Utazó shows it to Darazen and she discovers that the rope, when sliced seems to heal itself almost instantly, and when pierced, the small blade goes right through it and the fibers of the rope just wrap around it.

Darazen bends over for a closer look at the bodies. "Utazó, look at this". He points out that the bodies appear to have two carapaces, the outer carapace seemed dry and brittle and the inner one looked soft, like it was not well nourished.

Darazen looks at Utazó with a concerned look. "Uh, these were not pets, leashed up here. And look at the bodies, they looked starved. Uh, Utazó, I think these were BAIT."
Feb 7, 2015 7:56 pm
Hearing the word "bait" Utazó stands up and looks at Darazen. "If they were bait, I don't even want to think about what the catch is supposed to be. I'm going to stand watch at the entrance, just to make sure there are no surprises while we finish up in here." As she heads off to the entrance she stops mid-step, without looking back and says, "We should also be weary of traps, I came across what appeared to be some sort of sensor or trip light while searching the area that Dhoren first saw those men."

As she exits the chamber she drops to one knee, trying to remain small as possible, and keeps an eye open for anything that might be approaching.

Cool. A map! Thanks. Where was it that the group first dropped in? Where was the arch that Utazó had investigated earlier?
Last edited February 7, 2015 7:57 pm

Rolls

Intellect Roll (while standing guard) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Feb 7, 2015 8:05 pm
I also apologize, I am still used to handing out XP after a combat, not during or during RP. Without further ado, the XP....

Utazó: 2 XP for suspecting/noticing the creatures were bound or trapped.

Yui: 2 XP, for such a dramatic mount onto the beetle (Yes, it is what you are trained in, but it was kewl to see the first time, none the less.

Tara: 2 XP, for such a subtle, yet powerful entrance.

Khoren: 2 XP for being green.

Osred: 2 XP for swallowing his fear and charging the beast, even tho he is still a "squishy".

Darazen: 2 XP for maintaining the attack, and for all the information imparted post battle.
Feb 7, 2015 8:17 pm
After cleaning herself and her weapons, Tara pulls out a small device from her pocket and looks at it.. "Well, I saw the wagons and the bodies and went over to investigate and when I realized it was the Captain.." The metal mask changes to a sad look, "I've worked for him in the past as a guard, and he was a good man. I found this device on him and it directed me in this direction.. Knowing the captain, it probably points to something of his he planted in with the cargo. So I figured I'd try to find out what happened."

She shrugs and the metal mask you notice seems to change with her emotions as she tells the story..

"Following the needle, it led me to small opening up there" she indicates the ledge above from where she jumped down onto the beetle. "When I saw you fighting them I figured I'd assist first and then ask questions later. It's kinda hard to question a bug.. well.. for me anyways."

The mask smirks, and Tara reaches up and removes her mask, then walks over to Khoren to show him the "compass" she followed. "Neat trick with the cleaning.." she says in a lower voice when she presents him the "compass" to look at.

After revealing her true identity, some of you may recognize her. I wrote short bio in the other thread.
Feb 7, 2015 8:17 pm
szemely says:

Cool. A map! Thanks. Where was it that the group first dropped in? Where was the arch that Utazó had investigated earlier?
Map updated!
Feb 7, 2015 8:39 pm
"Hello, Tara," Khoren says, looking intently at the compass. What is this? "May I?" he sort of asks, and begins to identify the compass. Lost in thought for a moment, he catches himself and continues: "Thank you for your concern about the captain. It was a tragedy that we will all carry will us for some time. But, as you say, perhaps we can finish his work.

Rolls

Intellect, identify Numenara (specialized) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Feb 7, 2015 9:16 pm
Qralloq says:
"Hello, Tara," Khoren says, looking intently at the compass. What is this? "May I?" he sort of asks, and begins to identify the compass. Lost in thought for a moment, he catches himself and continues: "Thank you for your concern about the captain. It was a tragedy that we will all carry will us for some time. But, as you say, perhaps we can finish his work.
You are focused on the piece and without thought (or waiting for permission), you take the compass. Tara does not seem to mind.

You've seen these before, but this one is a much simpler device. It is a tracking receiver. It comes in pairs, usually, sometimes more. Put a tracker tag on an item and it blends into it, making it nearly invisible. The receiver device, the compass, will lock onto that tag. Usually the receiver shows things like bearing and distance though. This one....wait... what's this?

You find a tiny button and *click*, the device hums and unfolds in your hand. It shows a screen with a read out. Ah, now this you've seen. Whatever it was, it is... bearing east by south east... wait this can't be right.... it is moving.... 238, 980 miles... 238, 950... 930 miles.... 910 miles. You turn it around.... something must be off... or it is not calibrated or perhaps damaged. You find nothing wrong.

You look at the screen again and the numbers are enormous. You wonder if removing the power would reset it? One tuned, these normally did not lose the link, even when power was lost, but... this one is wonky.
Qralloq says:
"Wait, did someone say, bait!?"
Yes
Feb 7, 2015 9:26 pm
szemely says:
Hearing the word "bait" Utazó stands up and looks at Darazen. "If they were bait, I don't even want to think about what the catch is supposed to be. I'm going to stand watch at the entrance, just to make sure there are no surprises while we finish up in here." As she heads off to the entrance she stops mid-step, without looking back and says, "We should also be weary of traps, I came across what appeared to be some sort of sensor or trip light while searching the area that Dhoren first saw those men."

As she exits the chamber she drops to one knee, trying to remain small as possible, and keeps an eye open for anything that might be approaching.
You find a small niche to put yourself in. It's getting cool and the dampness in the cave is starting to creep into your body. The sound the your party behind you can still be heard. Focusing and trying to block that out, you strain to listen to what's ahead.

What was that? You strain more. You have to know that if the party is surprised and you are on watch, they won't be too happy. Still, no foot calls... only the trickling sound of water or the occasional drip as water falls from the ceiling into a puddle or pool.

There! There is was again... faint and masked, but there... it sounded like a bare foot trying to free itself from mud... the sound of water, mud, and suction. Then a hushed call to silence. Yes, at least two people are approaching.
Feb 7, 2015 10:05 pm
grandmaster says:
There! There is was again... faint and masked, but there... it sounded like a bare foot trying to free itself from mud... the sound of water, mud, and suction. Then a hushed call to silence. Yes, at least two people are approaching.
I didn't think the noise those beetles were making would go unnoticed.

Slowly rising to her feet, Utazó backs partially into the chamber. "Sounds like we're about to have some company, may not want to put away your weapons just yet", she says quietly over her shoulder as she reaches for her sword.
Feb 7, 2015 10:41 pm
(OOC: "(Han blasts console) Boring conversation anyway. Luke, we're about to have company!"

Poor things...Bait. Yui pulls her weapons out of the beetle, but before being able to clean them, hears Utazo's warning.
(whispers sarcastically ) "This group is so popular, me, beetles, Tara, and now some more! Soon this'll be the social event of the year!"
"Oh, nice to meet you, by the way." Yui smiles, but then gives Tara a small mock bow (OOC: These two females will be fighting over the most epic attacks from now on...).

Yui hurriedly wipes her weapons clean, and walking past Tara, takes a spot next to the entrance, hoping she won't be seen if the two people enter.
Last edited February 7, 2015 11:27 pm

Rolls

Intellect-trained - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Feb 7, 2015 11:50 pm
With some reluctance, Khoren puts the compass in his belt. He wraps his cloak around him, and takes position against the wall behind Yui, preparing himself for the bait's trap to spring.

With a wry grin, and as unobtrusively as he can manage, he uses his hedge magic to clean the gunk off of Yui's weapons.
Feb 8, 2015 12:11 am
Yui tensely waits by the entrance waiting for something to happen, although she does notice beetle eyeballs plopping off her daggers. She nods to Khoren appreciatively.
Feb 8, 2015 12:13 am
(OOC: Hey! Osred wears his squishiness with pride. Beats being spoony)
Not being the most stealthy person around, he hides further back in the room.
Feb 8, 2015 12:13 am
Tara instantly nods back to Yui's nod.. and then notices her smirk and quirks her eyebrow. ~I wonder what that smirk is all about? She seems similarly trained as I am by wearing no armor, and I saw some of her moves..~

Tara sighs and puts on her mask and places her weapon on her back.. and after seeing where Yui goes, Tara tries to move to a beneficial position so that she (Tara) will set her (Yui) up for a good first strike when those unseen assailants enter the room, should that be needed.

Tara kneels down on one leg, facing sideways to the entrance, as if examining something, but is really keeping a watch out of the corner of her eye and is ready to react. ~Well, they wanted bait, we can't disappoint now can we?~
Last edited February 8, 2015 12:16 am
Feb 8, 2015 1:09 am
It looks like our plan is too wait for the men to wander in, and observe or attack as necessary, so is everyone hidden?
Feb 8, 2015 1:23 am
Utazó spots them first, four men covered in mud walking your way. They are being cautious and quiet, but not trying to hide. You hear from outside the cavern a voice rasp, "Do you think we got one? Do you think we finally attracted a wizen?"

You hear a slap as someone tries to silence their comrade.

The four approach the southern entrance and make their way in. One looks as though he is straining to hear something from the silence that now engulfs the caverns. Another holds a glow rod, set to emit a low red color. The other two have similar devices to what you found that you used to get here. All four are wearing some sort of goggles and have prod sticks hanging from their belt.

They see Tara kneeling there and one of the mud men points his device at her. "You there! Who are you and and what makes you think you can enter the kingdom of Onbas Pha?" At the same time, another removes his prod stick from his belt and points it in her general direction.

Roll for intiative
Feb 8, 2015 1:35 am
Of course, Tara messes it up. Yui thinks maliciously. (Just being in character no harshness meant :), for Tara for some reason is a perceived threat in Yui's mind). Hoping that she hasn't been seen yet, Yui readies for a sneak attack.

Rolls

Iniatiative - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Feb 8, 2015 1:55 am
As soon Khoren notices that the mud covered men reveal their hated rods of doom, Khoren launches himself into their midst.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Feb 8, 2015 2:22 am
**Hey, Darazen. How about some good old fashioned payback?**
Osred waits for someone to to into melee and targets the same enemy.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Dagger attack - (1d20)

(6) = 6

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.