1.2 - The Wyr River: A stranger among you.

load previous
Feb 11, 2015 9:25 am
"I cant do anything, I don't know what you did to him, but I'm glad you're on our side. He had interesting last thoughts, though. Mud shields them against the artifacts. If we do the same we'll also fit in."
Osred will heal himself for a while.

Rolls

Healing Touch, difficulty 2 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Healing Touch, difficulty 3 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Healing Touch, difficulty 4 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Healing Touch, difficulty 5 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Healing Touch, difficulty 6 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Healing Touch, Intellect - (1d6)

(2) = 2

(1) = 1

(4) = 4

Healing Touch, Speed - (1d6+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Feb 11, 2015 2:19 pm
**Osred can you bring some of that healing touch loving over here?**

"Osred is right. When the commander died I shared the same flashbacks of his life that he experienced. It is freaky to realize that that's what happens in death. I'd heard tales, but to experience it first hand was really rather humbling." **And erotic. Hmmm?** "I shared the experience telepathically with Osred too."

"Other than his personal experiences, I can tell you the following important facts that might help our predicament...

1. They are not made of mud, Khoren. They coat themselves in mud to protect themselves from the area of effect of their weapons. That knowledge will help us protect ourselves.
2. To the north is a waterfall or something with 5 guards.
3. Probably to the south is a Wizen. It was that they were prepared to fight and didn't expect to encounter us. Those who don't know, a wizen is an adult slicer beetle. The ones we encountered were babies."
Last edited February 11, 2015 2:22 pm
Feb 11, 2015 2:35 pm
szemely says:
Utazó half-heartedly lifts her sword in the direction of her captive. "I've got a live one back there", she says haltingly as she tries to catch her breath. Walking slowly towards her captive, her sword dragging along the ground as she moves, she wonders out loud, "What in the hell is going on down here?"

Arriving at her captive's location she stands over him, looking down at his muck covered body, and gives him a swift kick. The slight groan that comes from the crumpled mass gives her the answer she was looking for. Good, he's still alive. Ensuring the prone mud-man is secure she plops down on his chest to take a seat. Looking over the room it appears that while some of her allies appear to be stunned and perhaps a little injured everyone has survived. "Next time, why don't we break out the fancy cyphers a little bit earlier?" - a slight grin appearing on her face.
Walking over to her prisoner and giving him a kick, he made a grunt and satisfied he was still alive, she sat down on his chest. After resting and healing, she stands to look at her prize. He has expired. He took 2 damage from the kick (blunt object) and another point from the "crush" of sitting on his chest.

"Ut-oh", she thinks to herself.
Feb 11, 2015 2:44 pm
Qralloq says:
Then, having caught his breath, he cleans his weapons with hedge magic before sheathing them, and begins to hall mudmen bodies into the beetle lair. Each time he enters the tunnel/corridor, he casts a wary eye to both sides, expecting another wave of hostiles. Finally, once he has gathered all of the bodies and stacked them around the corner near the water (i.e., out of sight of the corridor) he places their weapons and any gear to one side and begins to scrape and pick at the bodies, trying to wipe away the mud. Are these people covered in mud, or just mud?
Upon putting the bodies in the nest and separating the weapons/cyphers, you find they are indeed men and women who are covered in mud, a thick coating of it. In the damp cave, it does not appear to be drying as quickly as you would expect. Closer inspection finds that their clothing is covered in a thick, spongy synth that holds moisture.

Under the mud of the commander, you find similar spongy material attached to Brigandine Armor (2DR). It is damaged across the chest.
Feb 11, 2015 3:21 pm
"Everything went too fast, I wasn't expecting this level of resistance. Actually we might have used too much numenera. But we avenged our friends, that's the most important.
Who else need to heal? I'm sorry for looking after myself first, but I was in a pitiful state."
Osred leaves the securing of the prisoner to the others and goes around looking at everyone's injuries, starting with Darazen.
Feb 11, 2015 3:49 pm
Merlin says:

Darazen makes his way over to the pile of gear collected by Khoren and begins to examine it. And takes an action to heal.

(2nd roll was using Scan ability, if that wasn't clear)
Scanning, you find 6 prod sticks. A level 2 hand held device, these sticks produce a spark of electricity at their tip and do 1 or 4 levels of speed damage, depending on the power setting.

There are 3 complete artifacts. You know that these can scan and soften earth, and that the sonic damage they do is 4 damage to intellect, plus stun). Each unit has less than half a charge left on their power cell (four uses, sonic attack....2 uses soften earth). The others have fallen to the ground and no longer function, only 2 power sources are salvageable, one has a quarter charge and another is nearly drained).

You also find 62 shins, 4 cyphers and one oddity.

The oddity is a jar of putty that hardens after being exposed to air for one hour, but softens again if touched.

Camouflage Spray
Level: 2
Usable: Canister
Effect: An inanimate object (or group of objects) small enough to fit into a cube that is 10 feet by 10 feet by 10 feet (3 m by 3 m by 3 m) can be quickly coated so that its color and texture blend into its surroundings perfectly.
You seen this in use before

Water Weapon
Level: 3
Wearable: Wrist-mounted device
Usable: Handheld device
Effect: Fires a bolt of energy through water at a target within long range, inflicting damage equal to the cypher level. The energy must have water to conduct it or the device will not function, so both weapon and target must be at least partially submerged.
A colleague from a a previous caravan spoke of this and showed you an entry in his book. You copied the entry.

Detonation device (effect unknown)
Level: 4
Usable: Ceramic sphere (thrown, short range)
This one is beyond you. You know that it's level and it looks like devices you have seen before, but without breaking the sphere, you don't know and don't want to chance it. You think someone trained in Numenera might be able to help.

Unknown
Level: 7
Usable: Small metal and synth plate
This one escapes you. You know it is a high level device and is a construct of metal and metal synth, but its function is completely foreign. You read a power source, but it appears to be in some state of flux.
Feb 11, 2015 3:50 pm
Kaizival says:
Breathing heavily, Yui wipes her face and searches the mudmen pile with Khoren, looking for her dagger. She finds it with it's crossguard broken, presumably thanks to her furious stomping. She breathes in very deeply as if to try to calm herself, and failing, she shoves it back in it's sheath. Looking over at Khoren, she realizes that the battle scarred him as well, although she suspected his laments were very different than hers. Yui wordlessly walks over and gives Khoren a hug.
Take your recovery checks. Your dagger is salvagable, but you will have to find a town or someone who can fix the cross guard.
Feb 11, 2015 4:21 pm
"I'm sorry guys. This is all overwhelming, but it's occurred to me that the wizen isn't in a location... The young were bait. The wizen could be anywhere. The mudmen thought we were the wizen springing the trap."

Darazen examines the unknown device using Numenera training. **hmmm looks like an unknown device**
Last edited February 11, 2015 4:22 pm

Rolls

Numenera training - trained - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Feb 11, 2015 10:18 pm
grandmaster says:
Walking over to her prisoner and giving him a kick, he made a grunt and satisfied he was still alive, she sat down on his chest. After resting and healing, she stands to look at her prize. He has expired. He took 2 damage from the kick (blunt object) and another point from the "crush" of sitting on his chest.

Damn! I must have knocked him on the head a bit harder than I thought.

Shrugging her shoulders and letting out a heavy sigh Utazó turns her attention to searching the dead man's body. If he can't talk, maybe his belongings will.

Rolls

Intellect Roll (Searching the dead Mud Man) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Feb 12, 2015 2:26 am
szemely says:
grandmaster says:

Damn! I must have knocked him on the head a bit harder than I thought.

Shrugging her shoulders and letting out a heavy sigh Utazó turns her attention to searching the dead man's body. If he can't talk, maybe his belongings will.
the shins and cyphers were already collected, but I will let you have a chance at one more. I will roll a 1d6 on this post. Odds, he is poor and has nothing but 5 shins... Even and he has 20 shins and one cypher.

Rolls

Poor or rich? - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Feb 12, 2015 2:44 am
Taking time to recover, Yui checks out what Darazen has found. "Nice haul." She slips a prod stick in her belt pouch before going to Osred to heal some small bruises (If you would be so kind...).

"Now what? With your debt settled, can we all die happy now?" She smirks ask if to say "When we're dead." Yui is quickly returning to her usual self, leaving little trace that she was ever feeling off, although she does seem more friendly towards everyone.
"What's our next objective? I'd like to get out of this slimy cave and get some form or another of strongly fermented yeast, but what they were talking about was intriguing...." Yui starts pacing. "They want a slicer beetle wizen for some 'Queen', and also mentioned an 'assassin's heart. I wonder if wizens have any special properties..."

"But really, what should we do?"

(Everyone, what's our next plan?)
Last edited February 12, 2015 2:45 am

Rolls

speed recovery - (1d6+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

remember facts about wizen beetles - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Feb 12, 2015 3:24 am
Yui abruptly stops pacing. "Thats it! Wizen's blood has special properties. I don't recall what they are, but I know they must be worth something if these mudmen were after them. Oh, by the way, wizens love their little baby beetles. If the wizen shows up, it's going to find them dead, and unfortunately our company will be found responsible. We need to get out of here before it returns! We'll have to fight those guards. I just really hope the wizen doesn't show up during our next party."
Yui strides to the entrance and waits for the others (unless anyone has another idea?)
Feb 12, 2015 3:28 am
Khoren's hands drift down to the two unknown cyphers as if under their own volition. Delicately, intimately, he begins tracing their lines, seeking their purpose be revealed. He takes one of the artifacts and gestures with it to beckon over Tara, Yui and Darazen, making sure they all know how to use it to travel through solid ground.

He removes the commanders brigantine armor and adds it to the pile of gear.

Lastly, he takes one of the prods, and tucks it into his belt before taking posture near the beetle lair entrance, wrapping his cloak around him in order to blend into the cave wall in the dim light.

Rolls

Intellect check, Identify numenera (specialized) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Feb 12, 2015 3:30 am
grandmaster says:
the shins and cyphers were already collected, but I will let you have a chance at one more. I will roll a 1d6 on this post. Odds, he is poor and has nothing but 5 shins... Even and he has 20 shins and one cypher.
Sorry, didn't realize he had been searched already, thought he was hidden behind the rocks where Utazó proceeded to accidentally kill him while using him as a bean bag chair.

Looks like this one has already been searched. Quick bunch of pilferers they are. Utazó smiles and shakes her head as she gives the body a second look over and discovers a few missed shins. Looking over her shoulder she notices that the others have collected all of the belongings in the beetles' chamber and walks over and throws the five shins onto the pile.

"Anything useful in all of that junk?", she asks Darazen as the jar of putty catches her eye. Picking up the jar she holds it up above her head as if inspecting it and asks "Any objections?" and then proceeds to stuff it into her pack without waiting for a response.

Hearing Yui's query about the groups next course of action Utazó pipes up, "We need to find another one of these people and try to get them to talk. Juvenile slicer beetles act as bait for a Wizen and apparently the prospect of a captured Wizen acts as a sort of bait to these mud people. I think if we find a Wizen more of the mud people won't be too far away." Remembering the light/trip device she discovered earlier she adds, "And I think I know where we might start..."
Feb 12, 2015 3:44 am
Yui looks at Utazo unbelievably. "You want to find a wizen? You've lost it! We can just hop on over to the guards, break some bones, and get our test subject. Besides, we don't know what they're guarding, either. Might be more shiny objects. And those wizens could kill us all instantly! (10 damage per hit is pushing our luck...)" But then Yui grins at Utazo. "Unless you have more heroics planned?"

Yui is drawn to the adrenaline rush of fighting a wizen, and against her better judgement decides to go with Utazo's burgeoning plan.
Last edited February 12, 2015 3:47 am
Feb 12, 2015 4:13 am
Kaizival says:
Yui looks at Utazo unbelievably. "You want to find a wizen? You've lost it! We can just hop on over to the guards, break some bones, and get our test subject. Besides, we don't know what they're guarding, either. Might be more shiny objects. And those wizens could kill us all instantly! (10 damage per hit is pushing our luck...)" But then Yui grins at Utazo. "Unless you have more heroics planned?"
"I'll leave the heroics to the rest of you", Utazó says, shooting a smile back at Yui. "And besides, I said 'find' not 'fight'. Maybe this isn't the only wizen trap they have set down here. I found some sort of trip wire or detection looking beam back through the arches where Khoren originally saw some men walking when we first dropped into this hell hole. I think it would be worth taking a closer look to see exactly what that thing is."
Feb 12, 2015 4:41 am
Darazen takes a prod stick and says, "There are 4 cyphers here, I suggest the two new arrivals take two each." He then deftly pockets the 62 shins. He also takes an artifact device (ooc: do they count as cyphers as Darazen already has 3?).

Listening to the discussion between Utazo and Yui, Darazen appears to sound sagely when he says, "We need to get organized. There's armor here that someone should wear, and we should coat ourselves in mud. I agree we should head north and find the guards. Although we may have killed some mudmen, we still don't know why they attacked our camp. I for one am curious to find out. As for the wizen, it will probably find us before we find it... Especially if we stay here with the young beetle carcasses. Let's move north!"
Last edited February 12, 2015 4:42 am
Feb 12, 2015 6:59 am
Nodding gratefully to Darazen, Yui gathers up the Unknown and Camouflage Spray cyphers.

"I'll leave the armor to someone else, and I doubt Tara will want it either. I agree with Darazen and yours truly on the fact that we should get moving, because although part of me wants to see this wizen, I think don't want to exchange pleasantries with that thing in here, with the dead beetles to enrage it. What if we split up? That way we're all merry company. Me and Utazo and possibly someone else can tag along to check out the light, while another party can deal with the guards. If we run into any trouble this Camo Spray should give us somewhere to hide, and if we're really in trouble we'll start caterwauling."
Yui energetically shakes the device like a spray can, then mimics the howl of a wolf with savage gusto.

Rolls

recover might - (1d6+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Feb 12, 2015 4:44 pm
Somewhere, deep in the cavern network, a hunter has reset the trap and is skinning his latest catch. A whisper of a sound catches his ear. He stops and holds his breath. Was that what he thought it was? He is about to exhale when he hears it again, the howl of a wolf... a rare creature whose meat and fur are worth three times the shins of some of the beasts he's caught lately. He listens again, trying to determine where the howl came from. He picks up his weapons and traps and starts to make his way deeper into the network of caverns.
Feb 12, 2015 5:01 pm
Without daylight, no one knows the time of day. Everyone is beat up and tired, though it does not feel like you've bee down here for long at all. Everyone agrees that this is not the place to stay. Gathering up the weapons and Numenera/Cyphers, you need to decide where to go.

You can leave for the surface. There are two directions, through the earth like you go here or through the tunnel Tara came through (though you know that might be a bit of a climb).

To the east of the cavern, there is the intersection. There are the paths (North and south) that are adorned with carved archways. These paths seem well traveled and those who saw the mudmen walking through here will remember and share that they came from the south and made their way north with some creature.

The cavern tunnel itself leads east. It looks more natural and less carved. It also appears less traveled.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.