1.2 - The Wyr River: A stranger among you.

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 7, 2015 7:38 pm
I grew up doing pencil and paper style games, and post and play on the old BBSs. We did not have fancy mapping software and we were not that concerned with miniatures and grids. This takes me back. So, that being said, I drew a quick sketch of the map as you know it.

http://www.numeneraJournals.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/assassin-heart-cavern1.png

The blue sections/scribbles are water, shallow pools most likely coming from the Wyr River above.

The southern cavern is where you are all at now, with two dead slicer beetles.

After Tara introduces herself to the party, she goes about cleaning herself and her weapons. Osred stands up straight, showing Tara some respect and starts cleaning his weapons and himself as well. He examines the blood and fluid to see if it has any unusual properties and find none.

After some waves of his hands, Khoren looks fresh and clean. No one would have guessed he was just in a battle for his life. He walks over to the first beetle and offers to help Yui off, but after seeing that move to mount the beast, he is not that she would need his help. Still... He looks over the beetle, looking for some way to perhaps re-use parts of these beasts. He looks over at Tara and asks her to tell him more about why she is looking for the captain and how she got there.

Darazen, not turning his back on Tara, moves over to the nest with the beetles. He sees Utazó standing there, but senses she is somewhere else. A moment later, Utazó is beside herself and one disappears. Together they start searching the nest. Utazó knows something was holding these here and she wants to know what. She finds the lower part of the bodies of each has a synth rope attached to the wall near the floor. Utazó shows it to Darazen and she discovers that the rope, when sliced seems to heal itself almost instantly, and when pierced, the small blade goes right through it and the fibers of the rope just wrap around it.

Darazen bends over for a closer look at the bodies. "Utazó, look at this". He points out that the bodies appear to have two carapaces, the outer carapace seemed dry and brittle and the inner one looked soft, like it was not well nourished.

Darazen looks at Utazó with a concerned look. "Uh, these were not pets, leashed up here. And look at the bodies, they looked starved. Uh, Utazó, I think these were BAIT."
Feb 7, 2015 7:56 pm
Hearing the word "bait" Utazó stands up and looks at Darazen. "If they were bait, I don't even want to think about what the catch is supposed to be. I'm going to stand watch at the entrance, just to make sure there are no surprises while we finish up in here." As she heads off to the entrance she stops mid-step, without looking back and says, "We should also be weary of traps, I came across what appeared to be some sort of sensor or trip light while searching the area that Dhoren first saw those men."

As she exits the chamber she drops to one knee, trying to remain small as possible, and keeps an eye open for anything that might be approaching.

Cool. A map! Thanks. Where was it that the group first dropped in? Where was the arch that Utazó had investigated earlier?
Last edited February 7, 2015 7:57 pm

Rolls

Intellect Roll (while standing guard) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Feb 7, 2015 8:05 pm
I also apologize, I am still used to handing out XP after a combat, not during or during RP. Without further ado, the XP....

Utazó: 2 XP for suspecting/noticing the creatures were bound or trapped.

Yui: 2 XP, for such a dramatic mount onto the beetle (Yes, it is what you are trained in, but it was kewl to see the first time, none the less.

Tara: 2 XP, for such a subtle, yet powerful entrance.

Khoren: 2 XP for being green.

Osred: 2 XP for swallowing his fear and charging the beast, even tho he is still a "squishy".

Darazen: 2 XP for maintaining the attack, and for all the information imparted post battle.
Feb 7, 2015 8:17 pm
After cleaning herself and her weapons, Tara pulls out a small device from her pocket and looks at it.. "Well, I saw the wagons and the bodies and went over to investigate and when I realized it was the Captain.." The metal mask changes to a sad look, "I've worked for him in the past as a guard, and he was a good man. I found this device on him and it directed me in this direction.. Knowing the captain, it probably points to something of his he planted in with the cargo. So I figured I'd try to find out what happened."

She shrugs and the metal mask you notice seems to change with her emotions as she tells the story..

"Following the needle, it led me to small opening up there" she indicates the ledge above from where she jumped down onto the beetle. "When I saw you fighting them I figured I'd assist first and then ask questions later. It's kinda hard to question a bug.. well.. for me anyways."

The mask smirks, and Tara reaches up and removes her mask, then walks over to Khoren to show him the "compass" she followed. "Neat trick with the cleaning.." she says in a lower voice when she presents him the "compass" to look at.

After revealing her true identity, some of you may recognize her. I wrote short bio in the other thread.
Feb 7, 2015 8:17 pm
szemely says:

Cool. A map! Thanks. Where was it that the group first dropped in? Where was the arch that Utazó had investigated earlier?
Map updated!
Feb 7, 2015 8:39 pm
"Hello, Tara," Khoren says, looking intently at the compass. What is this? "May I?" he sort of asks, and begins to identify the compass. Lost in thought for a moment, he catches himself and continues: "Thank you for your concern about the captain. It was a tragedy that we will all carry will us for some time. But, as you say, perhaps we can finish his work.

Rolls

Intellect, identify Numenara (specialized) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Feb 7, 2015 9:16 pm
Qralloq says:
"Hello, Tara," Khoren says, looking intently at the compass. What is this? "May I?" he sort of asks, and begins to identify the compass. Lost in thought for a moment, he catches himself and continues: "Thank you for your concern about the captain. It was a tragedy that we will all carry will us for some time. But, as you say, perhaps we can finish his work.
You are focused on the piece and without thought (or waiting for permission), you take the compass. Tara does not seem to mind.

You've seen these before, but this one is a much simpler device. It is a tracking receiver. It comes in pairs, usually, sometimes more. Put a tracker tag on an item and it blends into it, making it nearly invisible. The receiver device, the compass, will lock onto that tag. Usually the receiver shows things like bearing and distance though. This one....wait... what's this?

You find a tiny button and *click*, the device hums and unfolds in your hand. It shows a screen with a read out. Ah, now this you've seen. Whatever it was, it is... bearing east by south east... wait this can't be right.... it is moving.... 238, 980 miles... 238, 950... 930 miles.... 910 miles. You turn it around.... something must be off... or it is not calibrated or perhaps damaged. You find nothing wrong.

You look at the screen again and the numbers are enormous. You wonder if removing the power would reset it? One tuned, these normally did not lose the link, even when power was lost, but... this one is wonky.
Qralloq says:
"Wait, did someone say, bait!?"
Yes
Feb 7, 2015 9:26 pm
szemely says:
Hearing the word "bait" Utazó stands up and looks at Darazen. "If they were bait, I don't even want to think about what the catch is supposed to be. I'm going to stand watch at the entrance, just to make sure there are no surprises while we finish up in here." As she heads off to the entrance she stops mid-step, without looking back and says, "We should also be weary of traps, I came across what appeared to be some sort of sensor or trip light while searching the area that Dhoren first saw those men."

As she exits the chamber she drops to one knee, trying to remain small as possible, and keeps an eye open for anything that might be approaching.
You find a small niche to put yourself in. It's getting cool and the dampness in the cave is starting to creep into your body. The sound the your party behind you can still be heard. Focusing and trying to block that out, you strain to listen to what's ahead.

What was that? You strain more. You have to know that if the party is surprised and you are on watch, they won't be too happy. Still, no foot calls... only the trickling sound of water or the occasional drip as water falls from the ceiling into a puddle or pool.

There! There is was again... faint and masked, but there... it sounded like a bare foot trying to free itself from mud... the sound of water, mud, and suction. Then a hushed call to silence. Yes, at least two people are approaching.
Feb 7, 2015 10:05 pm
grandmaster says:
There! There is was again... faint and masked, but there... it sounded like a bare foot trying to free itself from mud... the sound of water, mud, and suction. Then a hushed call to silence. Yes, at least two people are approaching.
I didn't think the noise those beetles were making would go unnoticed.

Slowly rising to her feet, Utazó backs partially into the chamber. "Sounds like we're about to have some company, may not want to put away your weapons just yet", she says quietly over her shoulder as she reaches for her sword.
Feb 7, 2015 10:41 pm
(OOC: "(Han blasts console) Boring conversation anyway. Luke, we're about to have company!"

Poor things...Bait. Yui pulls her weapons out of the beetle, but before being able to clean them, hears Utazo's warning.
(whispers sarcastically ) "This group is so popular, me, beetles, Tara, and now some more! Soon this'll be the social event of the year!"
"Oh, nice to meet you, by the way." Yui smiles, but then gives Tara a small mock bow (OOC: These two females will be fighting over the most epic attacks from now on...).

Yui hurriedly wipes her weapons clean, and walking past Tara, takes a spot next to the entrance, hoping she won't be seen if the two people enter.
Last edited February 7, 2015 11:27 pm

Rolls

Intellect-trained - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Feb 7, 2015 11:50 pm
With some reluctance, Khoren puts the compass in his belt. He wraps his cloak around him, and takes position against the wall behind Yui, preparing himself for the bait's trap to spring.

With a wry grin, and as unobtrusively as he can manage, he uses his hedge magic to clean the gunk off of Yui's weapons.
Feb 8, 2015 12:11 am
Yui tensely waits by the entrance waiting for something to happen, although she does notice beetle eyeballs plopping off her daggers. She nods to Khoren appreciatively.
Feb 8, 2015 12:13 am
(OOC: Hey! Osred wears his squishiness with pride. Beats being spoony)
Not being the most stealthy person around, he hides further back in the room.
Feb 8, 2015 12:13 am
Tara instantly nods back to Yui's nod.. and then notices her smirk and quirks her eyebrow. ~I wonder what that smirk is all about? She seems similarly trained as I am by wearing no armor, and I saw some of her moves..~

Tara sighs and puts on her mask and places her weapon on her back.. and after seeing where Yui goes, Tara tries to move to a beneficial position so that she (Tara) will set her (Yui) up for a good first strike when those unseen assailants enter the room, should that be needed.

Tara kneels down on one leg, facing sideways to the entrance, as if examining something, but is really keeping a watch out of the corner of her eye and is ready to react. ~Well, they wanted bait, we can't disappoint now can we?~
Last edited February 8, 2015 12:16 am
Feb 8, 2015 1:09 am
It looks like our plan is too wait for the men to wander in, and observe or attack as necessary, so is everyone hidden?
Feb 8, 2015 1:23 am
Utazó spots them first, four men covered in mud walking your way. They are being cautious and quiet, but not trying to hide. You hear from outside the cavern a voice rasp, "Do you think we got one? Do you think we finally attracted a wizen?"

You hear a slap as someone tries to silence their comrade.

The four approach the southern entrance and make their way in. One looks as though he is straining to hear something from the silence that now engulfs the caverns. Another holds a glow rod, set to emit a low red color. The other two have similar devices to what you found that you used to get here. All four are wearing some sort of goggles and have prod sticks hanging from their belt.

They see Tara kneeling there and one of the mud men points his device at her. "You there! Who are you and and what makes you think you can enter the kingdom of Onbas Pha?" At the same time, another removes his prod stick from his belt and points it in her general direction.

Roll for intiative
Feb 8, 2015 1:35 am
Of course, Tara messes it up. Yui thinks maliciously. (Just being in character no harshness meant :), for Tara for some reason is a perceived threat in Yui's mind). Hoping that she hasn't been seen yet, Yui readies for a sneak attack.

Rolls

Iniatiative - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Feb 8, 2015 1:55 am
As soon Khoren notices that the mud covered men reveal their hated rods of doom, Khoren launches himself into their midst.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Feb 8, 2015 2:22 am
**Hey, Darazen. How about some good old fashioned payback?**
Osred waits for someone to to into melee and targets the same enemy.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Dagger attack - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Feb 8, 2015 2:42 am
"We should try and keep one of these bastards alive" Utazó whispers to the others and she draws her sword...

[BOOM! PM heading your way grandmaster...]
Last edited February 8, 2015 2:43 am

Rolls

Initiative (one level of effort as she trained in Initiative) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Feb 8, 2015 4:02 am
Tara stands up and faces the 'mudmen', she places her hands up showing she's unarmed.. "Well, to be perfectly honest, I came into this cave alone to search for whoever or whatever attacked my friends wagon up on the road.. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"

[she IS being 100% honest in that statement so.. :) She stays on guard to respond to an immediate threat, but is really hoping to hear the answer first..]

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Feb 8, 2015 4:14 am
(Ooc: sorry not been around today. To keep things moving, here's my initiative...)

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Feb 8, 2015 4:44 am
Yui frantically waves silently, drawing her hand across her throat, at the others, trying to stop them from attacking, seeing their enraged faces. Yui would like to hear the answer as well, and thinks a concerted surprise attack would be better than everyone charging in, as the mud men seem to only be aware of Tara. Also, not sure why she's doing it, Yui prepares to protect Tara if things go downhill in her negotiations, while also trying to be quiet.
Feb 8, 2015 4:38 pm
Sorry for the delay, guys.

Everyone rolled above the mudmen, with the exception of Khoren who is in between the commander and the mudmen mooks (for lack of a better term). However, they are all focused on Tara and have not spotted you in the shadows.

Pre-Round: Reaction to Tara:

Not taking his finger off the device or lowering it, the leader of these men (M:1) signals for the others to give pause. "The wagon? On the surface? You were part of that caravan? Impossible! We killed everyone there when the captain failed to deliver the key to the 'Assassin's heart' to us. He was a good smuggler, that captain, but when you fail to deliver to the queen..."

One of the other mudmen (M:4) leans over to his friend and says in a hushed voice, "What about the Wizen? She wanted that and we've not been able to deliver that. Do you think that she will kill us?"

His friend (M:3) standing next to him, looks around the cavern and the carnage of the Slicer beetles, manuevers his prod stick so the tip touchs his friend and presses the button. A small spark jumps out and a "slap" is heard, "Shhh... the commander is speaking!" he whispers through tight lips.

The last mud man (M:2)walks over to the beetles and starts to examine them. He brushes his hands over the wounds, the eyes. He turns to the commander and nods.

"You did this? You killed these beetles? By yourself?" He turns to his men without taking his eyes off of Tara and gives a couple of hand gestures. The two mudmen in the back move towards the entrance, on each side.

"You are quite the glaive, it appears. Perhaps you would be willing to to work for us?"

Round One

R:1 - Utazó - As one of the mudmen (M:4) gets within reach, a hilt of a sword hits him on top of the head while another hand covers his mouth. He is pulled into the shadows behind a rock.

R:1 - Orsed waits in the shadows for someone to make their move. He knows he is better when the other party is distracted.

R:1 - Tara is standing, conversing and waiting to the inevitable attack while being a distraction

R:1 - Yui, trying not to break cover, tries to signal the others to not attack until everyone can. She gets a good foothold from which to spring.

R:1 - Darazen continues to hide in the shadows, mentally focusing and waits to see what is going to happen.

R:1 - The commander nods to his companion (M:2) steps back and presses the button on his device. (Tara: defense roll) He yells out, "Sorche!" (Now!)

R:1 - Khoren with his sword ready sees one of the mudmen (M:2) lift his device and points it at Tara.

R:1 - The Mudmen Mooks: Mudmen (M:2) suddenly swings his device over and aims it directly at Darazen, pressing the the button on his device (Darazen: defense roll)
Mudmen (M:3) removes the rod from his belt and looks around. He looks at his commander, then for his friend, then a target to hit. Not seeing any, he takes a defensive position.
From the east wall, the wall seems to turn to mud and two more mudmen appear (M:5 & 6), holding devices in front of them and appearing next to Yui. The same happens in the west wall (M:7 & 8), next to Khoren. (Yui and Khoren: Speed defense rolls to remain in the shadows and hidden from the new guys).

Give me your actions. Be as descriptive and you want to be and make sure you tell me who you are targeting.
Feb 8, 2015 5:09 pm
grandmaster says:
R:1 - Utazó - As one of the mudmen (M:4) gets within reach, a hilt of a sword hits him on top of the head while another hand covers his mouth. He is pulled into the shadows behind a rock.
Utazó drags the man out of sight and drops him to the ground. Sword still drawn she readies herself in case one of the others try to attack her.

Rolls

Might Roll (with effort) for the knock on the head. - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Feb 8, 2015 5:12 pm
Tara, being as prepared as she could be for the attack, springs out of the way upon hearing the leaders command, doing a handspring and flip.
Assuming she's successful, Tara will continue the acrobatic flip across the field to the leader and strike him with her bare fist.
The metal mask smirks as Tara thinks ~You shouldn't have been so boastful~

Rolls

Speed Defense, Specialized, With Effort - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Attack - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Feb 8, 2015 6:45 pm
Uneasy at the new mudmen (and not excited by the social event) Yui remembers what Utazo said about taking one (or two!) alive, unaware that Utazo has already done so. Yui will spring up behind mudmen M5 and M6 and bash their heads together, hoping to knock them out.

Rolls

Stay hidden until bash sneak attack-effort - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Bash mudmen heads - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Feb 8, 2015 7:55 pm
Shocked at how fast everything happens, Khoren gestures vehemently with his right hand, and makes a flinging motion which has the effect of flinging one of the mudmen (M:2) away from Tara and hard into the cave wall (spending effort to do 3 damage with the Push esotery). The arm gesture dramatically flaps his cloak.

As more mudmen slide out of the wall around him and Yui, he steps face to face with one of them, looking deep into his eyes (or at least the place where his eyes should be) while snarling and baring his teeth (M:7), while raising his cloak to block its view and hopefully keeping its attention off of Yui and her own battle. His left hand clutches a punch dagger, ready for some melee. If they have those death rods from the surface, this will be over quickly, but maybe we can make them pay in mudblood!

Rolls

Push esotery attack - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Feb 8, 2015 7:59 pm
Qralloq says:
Shocked at how fast everything happens, Khoren gestures vehemently with his right hand, and makes a flinging motion which has the effect of flinging one of the mudmen (M:2) away from Tara and hard into the cave wall (spending effort to do 3 damage with the Push esotery). The arm gesture dramatically flaps his cloak.

As more mudmen slide out of the wall around him and Yui, he steps face to face with one of them, looking deep into his eyes (or at least the place where his eyes should be) while snarling and baring his teeth (M:7), while raising his cloak to block its view and hopefully keeping its attention off of Yui and her own battle. His left hand clutches a punch dagger, ready for some melee. If they have those death rods from the surface, this will be over quickly, but maybe we can make them pay in mudblood!
(That's gonna leave more than a bruise. Thanks for keeping em' off me.)
Feb 8, 2015 9:50 pm
Hoping against hope for a different outcome this time, Osred charges one of the mudmen attacking Khoren (M7) with a dagger. After the confession, taking prisoners isn't a concern anymore, he goes strait to the neck.

Rolls

Dagger attack, with effort to damage - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Feb 8, 2015 11:52 pm
Darazen's skills at hiding are obviously not honed as his attempts to hide only attract interest from a mudman. Dexterously attempting to avoid the attack he attempts to leap out of range of the device.

If successful he immediately focusses a mind probe on his attacker.

Rolls

Speed defense roll - dodge - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Onslaught attack with effort, physical - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Feb 9, 2015 3:48 am
Round Two

Tara succeeds in her dodge and takes 2 points of intellect damage.

Darazen is surprised to see a weapon pointing at him and fails to get out of the way in time, taking 4 points of intellect damage and is stunned (loses action next round)

R:2 - Utazó - Thumps the head of the mudman Mud Man (M:4) and secures him.

R:2 - Orsed hoping against hope for a different outcome this time, charges one of the mudmen attacking Khoren (M:7) with a dagger. After the confession, taking prisoners isn't a concern anymore, he goes straight to the neck ( 2 dmg).

R:2 - Tara tumbles and leaps so fast, she is a blur. The commander, pressing his device, is stunned at the agility this glaive has. She pumps up and takes a swing at him (M:1) and makes contact, but barely. Through the mud, she feels something solid.

R:2 - Yui springs up behind the mudmen (M:5 and M:6) and attempts to bash heads together, hoping to knock them out. Her hands grab for their heads and find mud slicked hair. She manages to get some pressure though and pushs them together with a hard thunk. They are stunned, but not out.

R:2 - Darazen, still a bit dazed from being attacked, tries to reach out with his mind only to be met with some resistance (You shouldn't have tried that, he hears in his own mind). Raising his hand, he attempts to an onslaught on his opponent(M:2). It might be the haze of battle, but he misses.

R:2 - The commander, stunned by the sudden movement of Tara, steps back and attempts to use his device again against Tara. He yells out, "Tora Chi!" (Tara: defense roll)

R:2 - Khoren, shocked at how fast everything happens, he gestures vehemently with his right hand, and makes a flinging motion which has the effect of flinging one of the mudmen (M:2) away from Tara and hard into the cave wall. Darazen sees a look of shock and pain on the face of his opponent as he flies through the air and into the cave wall. As more mudmen slide out of the wall around him and Yui, he steps face to face with one of them, looking deep into his eyes (or at least the place where his eyes should be) while snarling and baring his teeth Mudmen (M:7) , while raising his cloak to block its view and hopefully keeping its attention off of Yui and her own battle. His left hand clutches a punch dagger, ready for some melee.

R:2 - The Mudmen Mooks:
Mudmen (M:2) flying through the air towards the eastern wall, he desperately tries to regain both physical and mental control. In a last act of desperation, he points his device at the group and presses his button. Osred will take 4 points of intellect damage and is stunned the next round.
Mudmen (M:3) with his rod raised step up to Yui and attempts to bring it to bare angaist her chest. A blue spark archs out. Speed defense Yui)
Mudmen (M:4) knocked out and secured
Mudmen (M:5) is stunned and cannot take an action
Mudmen (M:6) is stunned and cannot take an action
Mudmen (M:7) stunned to find a dagger at his throat and seeing his blood on it, he steps to one. He drops his device and pulls his prod stick, pointing towards Orsed.
Mudmen (M:8) looks at his partner. This is not what they expected. They were supposed to come in and scramble the Wizen. Still, his compadries are under attack. He flips a switch on his weapon, aims and fires at Orsed, catching Osred and his compadrie in the area of affect. (Orsed:4 point intellect damage, already stunned. The mudmen (M:7) does not seem to be affected.)

Results (Note: After this battle, I will not be displaying the list of opponents and the stats. This is just to get you used to what happens behind the scene)
Commander (M:1) 0/15
Mud Man (M:2) 7/9 and stunned
Mud Man (M:3) 0/9
Mud Man (M:4) 6/9, Knocked out unconsious
Mud Man (M:5) 3/9 and stunned
Mud Man (M:6) 3/9 and stunned
Mud Man (M:7) 2/9
Mud Man (M:8) 0/9

Give me your actions. Be as descriptive and you want to be and make sure you tell me who you are targeting.
Feb 9, 2015 3:59 am
Utazó, seeing that Osred appears to have been hit runs towards his attacker (M:8) and slashes at him hard with her sword.

Woot! Minor effect...
Last edited February 9, 2015 4:03 am

Rolls

Might Roll for the attack. - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Feb 9, 2015 4:10 am
szemely says:
Utazó, seeing that Osred appears to have been hit runs towards his attacker (M:8) and slashes at him hard with her sword.

Woot! Minor effect...
3 extra point of dmg, or a different minor effect?
Feb 9, 2015 4:15 am
grandmaster says:
3 extra point of dmg, or a different minor effect?
Let's just do the extra damage.
Feb 9, 2015 5:13 am
Without thinking, Yui ducks, hopefully avoiding the weapon, and then attempts to stick two blades in her attacker's crotch (dual wield).

Lets see if you're a real man...
Last edited February 9, 2015 6:34 am

Rolls

Duck-effort - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Her dagger's finest hour... - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Forearm blade - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Feb 9, 2015 5:32 am
Posted now for when his turn comes up
Khoren, inappropriately hurt that he couldn't keep the mudman's attention, pulls his second punch dagger out and attacks him (M:7)with a flurry of vicious swipes. Why are they so focussed on Orsed?

Rolls

Attack roll on M:7, punch dagger - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Attack roll on M:7, punch dagger - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Feb 9, 2015 5:44 am
Tara attempts to spin out of the way of the commanders attack.. Tara will place her hands over her ears to see if that helps lessen the effect of the cone of sound. (OOC: can't hurt to try!) While spinning she scans the battlefield quickly to check her companions. ~Yui is doing well, but Orsed isn't..~
If successful.. She'll head towards Osred and do a round kick to (M:7).. Tara will place her hands over her ears to see if that helps lessen the effect of the cone of sound. (OOC: can't hurt to try!)

OMG! My Speed Defense is on a roll!
Last edited February 9, 2015 5:46 am

Rolls

Speed Defense - w/effort - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Round Kick - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Feb 9, 2015 4:15 pm
Osred can't put one word after another. He's out for this round.
Feb 9, 2015 4:48 pm
Round Three

Tara seems like a blur succeeds in her dodge and yet still takes 2 points of intellect damage.

R:3 - Utazó, seeing Osred being target, runs full tilt, sword drawn and with a single upward swipe, opens a large gash in his target (M:8) (7 dmg).

R:3 - Orsed is reeling from the two attacks, stunned. He sees bright lights of various colors and smells sweet rolls baking. He is oblivious to the battle happening around him, seeing shadows or ghosts of the people beyond him. He sees waves, ripples of color coming from the devices and his friends shapes ripple.... pretty. The ripples seem to lessen significantly around the shapes of the mudmen.

R:3 - Tara tumbles and leaps so fast, she is a blur. Seeing everyone targeting Osred, she makes her way over to defend him. With her ears covered, she makes a flip and kick at mud man (M:7) and misses.

R:3 - Yui seems her opponents (M:5) & (M:6) drop their weapons after their heads were knock together and then a blue spark in front of her from mud man (M:3). With skillful grace and speed, she side steps, cart wheels around and ends up beneath her opponent, blades aimed at what she hopes is a soft spot. Her first blade hits the mark (2 dmg), but her second misses (small target?)

R:3 - Darazen was stunned and stares into space seeing lights and colors and smelling fresh scents. She is trying to get her thoughts back together and under control, but this is so pretty.... "Snap out of it", she yells to herself in her mind.

R:3 - The commander, seeing a good portion of the group focusing on his man (M:7), aims his device and in the area, smiles and pulls the trigger.
(Those in the area of M7 or M8: Utazó, Tara, and Khoren are hit by an area blast. Defense rolls are more difficult as your focus was on defending Osred. )
Osred is already stunned, but mud mad (M:7) is between the commander and the Osred and he takes the brunt of the blast (and does not seem affected).

R:3 - Khoren, shocked at how he could not hold the attention of one mud man (M:7) uses his blades and swipes at mud man. His blades strike true. (2 dmg with each)

R:3 - The Mudmen Mooks:
Mudmen (M:2) is laying against the wall stunned. He is trying to gather his faculties. He reaches for his weapon and it falls apart in his hands. He stands up.
Mudmen (M:3) trained to ignore pain, he tries to track Yui and loses her. He attempts to bring his weapon to bare on anything near him and cannot find a target.
Mudmen (M:5) is shaking his head and trying to clear the stars. He reaches for his prod weapon and searchs for a target.
Mudmen (M:6) snaps back her head and lets out a scream. More focused, she reaches for her prod and drops it (not as focused as she thought)
Mudmen (M:7) Seeing the attention he is drawing, he steps back into a defensive position, waving his prod rod in front of him, then drops to his knees, blood continuing to flow from the wound in his neck. With a gurgle, he drops, dead.
Mudmen (M:8) is hit and hit hard. In shock, he drops her weapon. He clumsily tries to draw his prod and takes a defensive stance.

Results (Note: After this battle, I will not be displaying the list of opponents and the stats. This is just to get you used to what happens behind the scene)
Commander (M:1) 0/15
Mud Man (M:2) 7/9 and stunned
Mud Man (M:3) 2/9
Mud Man (M:4) 6/9, Knocked out unconscious
Mud Man (M:5) 3/9 and stunned
Mud Man (M:6) 3/9 and stunned
Mud Man (M:7) 9/9 (Dead)
Mud Man (M:8) 7/9

Feb 9, 2015 4:55 pm
GM Instrusion: Due to an oversight on my part, I am intruding on the behalf of Osred. I failed to give him a defense roll on the last attack and he took it like a man. He PMed me and I rechecked the area attack rules. I offered my apologies and this intrusion: 2XP for Osred.

Of course, he must give one XP to another player, either publicly or privately. Let the sucking up begin. "Hey, I was the first to come to your aid!" "oh yeah? Well I did more damage" etc etc.

Also corrected a damage issue, #7 is dead.

Sorry, Osred ;)
Feb 9, 2015 5:34 pm
Darazen wonders what hit him. In a haze he sees lights and movement around him, but can do nothing to react. His mind and body seem unwilling to respond to his thoughts, and he silently curses at his misfortune. Through will alone he manages to clear his mind, and with little consideration for tactics unleashes a full effort mental onslaught at the nearest mudman (M:2).

Rolls

Onslaught - mental, with effort - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Feb 9, 2015 5:57 pm
Tara frowns as she flips again in an attempt to dodge the device for a 3rd time.
~Gotta not clump together.. it only gives them the advantage~ she thinks to herself...
With that, she heads towards (M:3) and attempts a Flying Kick.

Rolls

Speed Defense - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Attack - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Feb 9, 2015 9:50 pm
"Not... wavy.. can't... their colors, smell... YOU DON'T SMELL TASTY!!!"

Osred punishes the mook next to him (M8) for not being a freshly baked sweet roll.

Rolls

Dagger attack, no effort - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Feb 9, 2015 9:53 pm
The XP goes to Darazen for surviving my healing skill roll of 1, saving the healer from getting the first kill of the adventure.
Feb 9, 2015 9:59 pm
Out of the corner of her eye, Utazó sees the commander aim his wand in her general area and attempts to dart to the side.

EDIT: REROLLED BELOW
Last edited February 9, 2015 10:06 pm

Rolls

Speed Defense Roll (Trained in Speed Defense) - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Feb 9, 2015 10:01 pm
Burning an XP to re-roll the Speed Defense.

EDIT: XP well spent!
Last edited February 9, 2015 10:01 pm

Rolls

Speed Defense Roll (Trained) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Feb 9, 2015 10:06 pm
I'm assuming Utazó is not terribly affected by the Captain's device.

Quickly ducking to the side Utazó regains her footing and takes aim at the Captain. Running forward she charges and attempts to bury her blade into his belly.

Rolls

Might check for the attack. - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Feb 9, 2015 10:52 pm
Khoren, shuddering from the blast from the mudman leader, presses his attack on the wounded mudman confronting Osred (M:8), attacking with both punch daggers. He positions himself between Osred and the commander, but hopes to finish this mudman off before turning his attention to the commander, and those terrible blast attacks.

Rolls

Speed defense - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Punch dagger attack #1 on M:8 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Punch dagger attack #2 on M:8 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Feb 9, 2015 10:53 pm
Spending an xp to reroll Speed defense.

Rolls

Speed defense reroll - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Feb 10, 2015 12:59 am
Now lost to the vicious void of battle, Yui lets go of her dagger (the forearm blade stays with her) and brutally shoves mudman M3 onto the stirring mudmen she bashed (M5 and M6), hopefully disorienting them further.

Rolls

Push mudman onto stirring mudmen - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Feb 10, 2015 1:19 am
(Okay, that went pretty well. I'll assume I succeeded.) "Hey, I've got a nice mud pile here! Anyone up for stomping on some throats?" Yui bares her teeth in a primal, wolflike grin and prepares to walk over and stomp on the downed mudmen, the idea of torturing them later almost completely forgotten. You'll pay for those beetles... (My actions are over, Yui is just talking).

(Is there any way Tara can land on the mudmen pile with her kick? That'd be some pretty epic teamwork. :) )
Last edited February 10, 2015 1:20 am
Feb 10, 2015 2:26 am
Spending XP to roll Speed Defense

Rolls

Speed Defense reroll - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Feb 10, 2015 3:21 am
Round Four

Utazó, seeing commander aiming his weapon aimed in his direction, yells at the others to watch out and he ducks behind one of the dead beetles.
Tara hears the warning and dives the other way, somersaulting and coming up on her feet, out of the area's affect.
Khoren in his mind is pursuing the mudman to the end of the rainbow. In reality, he did not hear the warning and got caught right full force. (4 damage to intellect, stunned for the next round)

R:4 - Utazó peers out and sees the commander smile fade. He springs out and charges at him, sword raised. The sword slices through the mud and brushes something metallic, doing no damage.

R:4 - Orsed slowly comes out of his funk and looks around. The closest mud man (M:8) comes into to focus and he swings with a dagger. Still a bit hazy, he misses.

R:4 - Tara, on her feet tumbles over to (M:3) and tries to do a flying kick. She missed, but lands on her feet behind him, ready to strike.

R:4 - Yui stands up with force, picking up the mud man (M:3) and throwing him at the two she tried to knock out earlier (M:5) & (M:6) who are knocked over (3 dmg each to 5 & 6). Mud man (M:3) falls in a tangle of arms and legs (2 dmg). Tara blinks and states, "He was mine".

R:4 - Darazen, his mind clearing finds focus on the mudman that had a strong mental block who resisted him at first (M:2) and is standing up next to the wall. Focus, focus, BOOM! He unleashes an onslaught! (2 dmg plus a major effect)

R:4 - The commander's eyes roll back in his head like he's been stabbed, a look of immense pain.... and then it is gone. He is stunned.

R:4 - Khoren, caught in the area of affect, stands there slowly waving his sword in the air, oblivious to what is happing around him

R:4 - The Mudmen Mooks:
Mudmen (M:2) standing up, he feels an attack on his mind, crush it, folding it, erasing it. In a last ditch effort, he opens his mouth to scream out, "Commander!", but nothing comes out. He falls, dead.
Mudmen (M:3) finds him flying through the air and into two of his comrades, then falling to the ground in a tangle of arms and limbs.
Mudmen (M:5) is knocked to the ground and trying to untangle himself from his colleagues.
Mudmen (M:6) is knocked to the ground. On her way, she sees her prod and reaches for it. Her hand grabs the hilt as (M:3) rolls on top of it, her fingers hitting the trigger. The spark under (M:3) cannot be seen, but is felt by him and the other two he is entangled with (1 dmg electical each)

Commander (M:1) 0/15 (Stunned)
Mud Man (M:2) 9/9 (Dead)
Mud Man (M:3) 5/9 and prone
Mud Man (M:4) 6/9, Knocked out unconscious
Mud Man (M:5) 7/9 and prone
Mud Man (M:6) 7/9 and prone
Mud Man (M:8) 9/9 (Dead)

Give me your actions. Be as descriptive and you want to be and make sure you tell me who you are targeting (you also might want to remind me if you have a special ability, or attack that you are using.
Feb 10, 2015 3:32 am
Utazó, sure that her previous strike hit armor, is somewhat surprised by the commander's reaction. Apparently my blade hit something she thinks to herself as she raises her sword and aims for the arm that holds the device which has been causing her and her companions so much trouble.

If I can just get him to drop that damned thing...

Rolls

Attack Roll - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Feb 10, 2015 4:06 am
With the refinement of a small child, Yui starts stomping on the mudmen maliciously, reveling in the cruelty of the primitive attack. "I die tall, you die broken, I die tall, you die broken, I die tall, you die broken..." The pace and pitch of Yui's mantra frantically increases with the pace of her furious stomps, until (hopefully) there remains but a pool of scum that were mudmen before (M5 and M6 ). Something wet shines on Yui's cheek.

(Dual wield stomping)
Last edited February 10, 2015 4:08 am

Rolls

Stomp on mudman M5-might effort - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Stomp on mudman M6 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Feb 10, 2015 4:08 am
Tara looks at Yui and gives a nod of respect. "I'll keep trying to keep the commander busy.."
Tara moves and makes a Jump Kick at the Commander.. Hopefully also distracting him from Utazo's machinations..

(If I hit, I'm activating my Blood Magnet cypher)
Last edited February 10, 2015 3:17 pm

Rolls

Attack - w/ 2 lvls of Effort - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Feb 10, 2015 5:15 am
Darazen at first seems surprised at how effective his attack was, and then he smirks with satisfaction at his first kill. However as he smirks his mind involuntary draws towards the commander, and his head whips to lock eyes with the formidable foe. The commander appears to stagger and the gem in Darazen's forehead seems to glow momentarily. Darazen seems to stagger too, but more from surprise than the pain commander appears to suffer.

Osred feels a strange sensation in his mind as Darazen opens the telepathic link. **Osred, if you can, block the North exit while the commander is stunned. ** He hopes the speed of thought will give Osred more time to react, but just in case it doesn't Darazen also uncharacteristically barks out orders.

"Team, stop the commander from heading North. He's looking for reinforcements!"

With that Darazen expends a mental onslaught on the commander, with effort.

(Re roll with XP)

(Ooc: thanks for the XP Osred).
Last edited February 10, 2015 5:18 am

Rolls

Onslaught - mental, with effort - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Onslaught again - mental with effort - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Feb 10, 2015 5:55 am
Since the commander acts before Khoren, his action will vary.
1) If the commander doesn't get too far, Khoren will chase him and then Push him back into our midst (must be able to see and within short range).
or 2) If the commander gets out of range, then Khoren will take a moment to catch his breath (immediate action recovery roll).
Push attack or Recovery Roll

Rolls

Push - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Alternative, recovery roll - (1d6+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Feb 10, 2015 12:08 pm
(Ooc: it worth noting that the commander is stunned this round, but none the less Darazen is warning everyone about the bosses intent)
Feb 10, 2015 2:56 pm
**Got it!**
Osred runs towards the captain, taking the Sleep cypher out of his pocket along the way. He places himself between the captain and the passage.
"There is something wrong with some of these mudmen!"

OOC: I'n want to put the commander to sleep, but we never got to split the cyphers, so I'm want to give a chance for feedback on this. Anyone who isn't comfortable with this, just post or PM me and I can change my action. Grandmaster, can you wait a little before resolving the actions?
Feb 10, 2015 3:34 pm
Ooc: I have reviewed all actions from previous threads. Only Khoren, Darazen, Osred and Utazo were present in camp. Based on actions, the following were factually claimed:
1. Khoren took the artifact and special warp stating he could take one other device (
suggest took speed boost)
2. Darazen took Stim Injector stating he can take 2 other devices (suggest also took shocker)
3. Utazo declined any cyphers
4. Osred took Cat's Eye as Khoren told 2nd in party to take it. (
Suggest also took sleep inducer)

Over to GM to verify.
Feb 10, 2015 3:50 pm
Merlin says:
Ooc: I have reviewed all actions from previous threads. Only Khoren, Darazen, Osred and Utazo were present in camp. Based on actions, the following were factually claimed:
1. Khoren took the artifact and special warp stating he could take one other device (
suggest took speed boost)
2. Darazen took Stim Injector stating he can take 2 other devices (suggest also took shocker)
3. Utazo declined any cyphers
4. Osred took Cat's Eye as Khoren told 2nd in party to take it. (
Suggest also took sleep inducer)

Over to GM to verify.
I am ok holding the round resolution to make sure every has "claimed" the cyphers from the smugl....er.....captains wagon as there were still a few unclaimed. However, next time I may not be so generous.
Feb 10, 2015 4:12 pm
Osred wouldn't take the Catseye, he sees in the dark naturally. And I also want to know if everyone is ok with me expending a numenera.

Grandmaster, it's ok to discuss strategy when our characters can't?
Last edited February 10, 2015 4:15 pm
Feb 10, 2015 4:24 pm
KNaranek says:
Osred wouldn't take the Catseye, he sees in the dark naturally. And I also want to know if everyone is ok with me expending a numenera.

Grandmaster, it's ok to discuss strategy when our characters can't?
You can strategize here, thru PM (I think you and PM multiple people), I can can start a thread for strategizing.

It happens in RL games around the table, no?
Feb 10, 2015 4:25 pm
Ooc: based on initiative:
Osred gets Sleep Inducer
Darazen gets Shocker
Khoren gets Speed Boost
Darazen gets Cats Eye
Feb 10, 2015 8:01 pm
Round Five (and Combat Summary below)

R:5 - Utazó sees a glint of armor showing through the mud covering the command. Sword raised, he swings and makes contact (2 dmg after DR).

R:5 - Orsed turns at the sound of Darazen's voice. Knowing the commander is stunned, he runs to him, taking out a cypher (sleep inducer) at slaps it on him.

R:5 - Tara moves quickly to the commander and delivers a kick, activating her cypher. The hit breaks skin and bone (4 dmg after DR) and delivers a type of blood poison (3 dmg each round, starting the next round)

R:5 - Yui starts taunting and kicking the pile of mud men (M:5) & (M:6) (2 dmg to each, killing each).

R:5 - Darazen looks deep into the eyes of the commander and smiles. All he sees is fear, and loathing. It was not supposed to happen this way. He was supposed to lead his men in and surprise a wizen, drain its strength and salvage the blood, organs and shell for the queen. It was all planned out and should have worked. Darazen almost feels sorry for him, then with a mental shove, he forces a spike into the commanders mind (2 dmg).

R:5 - The commander, being hit from all sides, can only watch and he is ambushed by this party of miscreants.

R:5 - Khoren, seeing the commander surrounded, stops for a moment to catch his breath (6 pts recovered).

R:5 - The Mudmen Mooks:
Mudmen (M:3) does his best to dodge, in his stunned state.

Commander (M:1) 8/15 (Unconscious, sleeping)
Mud Man (M:2) 9/9 (Dead)
Mud Man (M:3) 5/9 (prone, and scared or intimidated by this woman stomping his friends)
Mud Man (M:4) 6/9 Knocked out unconscious
Mud Man (M:5) 9/9 (Dead)
Mud Man (M:6) 9/9 (Dead)
Mud Man (M:8) 9/9 (Dead)

Combat Summary

Exiting combat: The commander is knocked out and has been poisoned. He will be dead in 10-12 seconds (2 rounds). Yui, enraged as she is, will kick Mud Man (M:3) two more times in each of those two rounds, leading to his death.
Utazó will point to the cropping of rocks that he was hiding behind and where he secured on of the mud men (M:4). Everyone is running on adrenalin and when it is over, it takes you all a moment to gather yourself. If you doing nothing else,make a moment to recover as an action, if you want.
Feb 10, 2015 9:24 pm
As the commander slumps to the ground the poison takes hold, and there is little Darazen can do to save him. The exertions of combat leave Darazen breathing heavily, and he doesn't move, simply staring at the commander as his life ebbs away. A tear rolls down his cheek, and he casually wipes it away, hoping no-one notices.

He shakes his head in resignation. **so it makes a little more sense, but I'm not sure what we are dealing with here.**

With a deep sigh he disengages from the now dead commander and looks around the area at his comrades. "Well done, that could have been nasty. Something strange happened when I attacked the mudman. As my attack sliced though his brain I found myself listening to the commanders thoughts... I learned some stuff..."
Last edited February 11, 2015 12:35 am
Feb 10, 2015 10:05 pm
"Oh, you're not escaping so easily."
Osred touches the captain, trying not to wake him, and drags him back.
"He's not passed out, just sleeping. We have to tie him up."

Rolls

Healing Touch - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Feb 10, 2015 10:10 pm
Just this is enough to keep him alive or the damage is recurring?

Rolls

HP healed - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Feb 10, 2015 10:14 pm
Tara takes a moment to recover.

[The poison damage from my cypher is reoccurring.]
Last edited February 10, 2015 10:15 pm

Rolls

Recovery roll - (1d6+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Feb 10, 2015 10:21 pm
Can't find the rules for treating poison. Suggestions?
GrantUrDeth, how much damage for how long?
Feb 10, 2015 11:12 pm
Utazó half-heartedly lifts her sword in the direction of her captive. "I've got a live one back there", she says haltingly as she tries to catch her breath. Walking slowly towards her captive, her sword dragging along the ground as she moves, she wonders out loud, "What in the hell is going on down here?"

Arriving at her captive's location she stands over him, looking down at his muck covered body, and gives him a swift kick. The slight groan that comes from the crumpled mass gives her the answer she was looking for. Good, he's still alive. Ensuring the prone mud-man is secure she plops down on his chest to take a seat. Looking over the room it appears that while some of her allies appear to be stunned and perhaps a little injured everyone has survived. "Next time, why don't we break out the fancy cyphers a little bit earlier?" - a slight grin appearing on her face.
Last edited February 10, 2015 11:13 pm

Rolls

Recovering Roll - (1d6+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Feb 10, 2015 11:27 pm
KNaranek says:
Just this is enough to keep him alive or the damage is recurring?
The damage was 3 per round and was based on Numenera. While I know you can work miracles, you'd have to first get a sample of the poison to study it. You COULD try to keep healing him, but you would be expending points and gaining little, 6 points forward (maybe), 3 points back... and his mind is nearly shattered
Feb 11, 2015 12:24 am
Khoren, shudders as the sudden violence ends, and leans on his knees for breath. A tightness grows in his abdomen, thinking of the reckless loss of life. Who are these people? Do they have families that will miss them? STOP IT, they gave us no choice. A dark eye takes measure of his companions, yearning to see similar haunted looks in their eyes. Taking measure of the fight, a few words stick in his memory. Did the mudmen speak of a key, to the heart of an assassin or such, that the caravan was carrying? Something hidden, perhaps, but of the things in the captains stash, could one of those things be what they were looking for?

"We fought oddly, but we survived. Thanks be to you all."

Then, having caught his breath, he cleans his weapons with hedge magic before sheathing them, and begins to hall mudmen bodies into the beetle lair. Each time he enters the tunnel/corridor, he casts a wary eye to both sides, expecting another wave of hostiles. Finally, once he has gathered all of the bodies and stacked them around the corner near the water (i.e., out of sight of the corridor) he places their weapons and any gear to one side and begins to scrape and pick at the bodies, trying to wipe away the mud. Are these people covered in mud, or just mud?
Feb 11, 2015 12:29 am
(Ooc: Osred, you have a PM - the commander can't be saved)
Feb 11, 2015 1:01 am
Breathing heavily, Yui wipes her face and searches the mudmen pile with Khoren, looking for her dagger. She finds it with it's crossguard broken, presumably thanks to her furious stomping. She breathes in very deeply as if to try to calm herself, and failing, she shoves it back in it's sheath. Looking over at Khoren, she realizes that the battle scarred him as well, although she suspected his laments were very different than hers. Yui wordlessly walks over and gives Khoren a hug.
Last edited February 11, 2015 2:56 am
Feb 11, 2015 4:13 am
**oh well, no one's interested**

Darazen makes his way over to the pile of gear collected by Khoren and begins to examine it. And takes an action to heal.

(2nd roll was using Scan ability, if that wasn't clear)
Last edited February 11, 2015 4:15 am

Rolls

Recovery - action - (1d6+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Examine items - trained - scan within 10' - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Feb 11, 2015 9:25 am
"I cant do anything, I don't know what you did to him, but I'm glad you're on our side. He had interesting last thoughts, though. Mud shields them against the artifacts. If we do the same we'll also fit in."
Osred will heal himself for a while.

Rolls

Healing Touch, difficulty 2 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Healing Touch, difficulty 3 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Healing Touch, difficulty 4 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Healing Touch, difficulty 5 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Healing Touch, difficulty 6 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Healing Touch, Intellect - (1d6)

(2) = 2

(1) = 1

(4) = 4

Healing Touch, Speed - (1d6+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Feb 11, 2015 2:19 pm
**Osred can you bring some of that healing touch loving over here?**

"Osred is right. When the commander died I shared the same flashbacks of his life that he experienced. It is freaky to realize that that's what happens in death. I'd heard tales, but to experience it first hand was really rather humbling." **And erotic. Hmmm?** "I shared the experience telepathically with Osred too."

"Other than his personal experiences, I can tell you the following important facts that might help our predicament...

1. They are not made of mud, Khoren. They coat themselves in mud to protect themselves from the area of effect of their weapons. That knowledge will help us protect ourselves.
2. To the north is a waterfall or something with 5 guards.
3. Probably to the south is a Wizen. It was that they were prepared to fight and didn't expect to encounter us. Those who don't know, a wizen is an adult slicer beetle. The ones we encountered were babies."
Last edited February 11, 2015 2:22 pm
Feb 11, 2015 2:35 pm
szemely says:
Utazó half-heartedly lifts her sword in the direction of her captive. "I've got a live one back there", she says haltingly as she tries to catch her breath. Walking slowly towards her captive, her sword dragging along the ground as she moves, she wonders out loud, "What in the hell is going on down here?"

Arriving at her captive's location she stands over him, looking down at his muck covered body, and gives him a swift kick. The slight groan that comes from the crumpled mass gives her the answer she was looking for. Good, he's still alive. Ensuring the prone mud-man is secure she plops down on his chest to take a seat. Looking over the room it appears that while some of her allies appear to be stunned and perhaps a little injured everyone has survived. "Next time, why don't we break out the fancy cyphers a little bit earlier?" - a slight grin appearing on her face.
Walking over to her prisoner and giving him a kick, he made a grunt and satisfied he was still alive, she sat down on his chest. After resting and healing, she stands to look at her prize. He has expired. He took 2 damage from the kick (blunt object) and another point from the "crush" of sitting on his chest.

"Ut-oh", she thinks to herself.
Feb 11, 2015 2:44 pm
Qralloq says:
Then, having caught his breath, he cleans his weapons with hedge magic before sheathing them, and begins to hall mudmen bodies into the beetle lair. Each time he enters the tunnel/corridor, he casts a wary eye to both sides, expecting another wave of hostiles. Finally, once he has gathered all of the bodies and stacked them around the corner near the water (i.e., out of sight of the corridor) he places their weapons and any gear to one side and begins to scrape and pick at the bodies, trying to wipe away the mud. Are these people covered in mud, or just mud?
Upon putting the bodies in the nest and separating the weapons/cyphers, you find they are indeed men and women who are covered in mud, a thick coating of it. In the damp cave, it does not appear to be drying as quickly as you would expect. Closer inspection finds that their clothing is covered in a thick, spongy synth that holds moisture.

Under the mud of the commander, you find similar spongy material attached to Brigandine Armor (2DR). It is damaged across the chest.
Feb 11, 2015 3:21 pm
"Everything went too fast, I wasn't expecting this level of resistance. Actually we might have used too much numenera. But we avenged our friends, that's the most important.
Who else need to heal? I'm sorry for looking after myself first, but I was in a pitiful state."
Osred leaves the securing of the prisoner to the others and goes around looking at everyone's injuries, starting with Darazen.
Feb 11, 2015 3:49 pm
Merlin says:

Darazen makes his way over to the pile of gear collected by Khoren and begins to examine it. And takes an action to heal.

(2nd roll was using Scan ability, if that wasn't clear)
Scanning, you find 6 prod sticks. A level 2 hand held device, these sticks produce a spark of electricity at their tip and do 1 or 4 levels of speed damage, depending on the power setting.

There are 3 complete artifacts. You know that these can scan and soften earth, and that the sonic damage they do is 4 damage to intellect, plus stun). Each unit has less than half a charge left on their power cell (four uses, sonic attack....2 uses soften earth). The others have fallen to the ground and no longer function, only 2 power sources are salvageable, one has a quarter charge and another is nearly drained).

You also find 62 shins, 4 cyphers and one oddity.

The oddity is a jar of putty that hardens after being exposed to air for one hour, but softens again if touched.

Camouflage Spray
Level: 2
Usable: Canister
Effect: An inanimate object (or group of objects) small enough to fit into a cube that is 10 feet by 10 feet by 10 feet (3 m by 3 m by 3 m) can be quickly coated so that its color and texture blend into its surroundings perfectly.
You seen this in use before

Water Weapon
Level: 3
Wearable: Wrist-mounted device
Usable: Handheld device
Effect: Fires a bolt of energy through water at a target within long range, inflicting damage equal to the cypher level. The energy must have water to conduct it or the device will not function, so both weapon and target must be at least partially submerged.
A colleague from a a previous caravan spoke of this and showed you an entry in his book. You copied the entry.

Detonation device (effect unknown)
Level: 4
Usable: Ceramic sphere (thrown, short range)
This one is beyond you. You know that it's level and it looks like devices you have seen before, but without breaking the sphere, you don't know and don't want to chance it. You think someone trained in Numenera might be able to help.

Unknown
Level: 7
Usable: Small metal and synth plate
This one escapes you. You know it is a high level device and is a construct of metal and metal synth, but its function is completely foreign. You read a power source, but it appears to be in some state of flux.
Feb 11, 2015 3:50 pm
Kaizival says:
Breathing heavily, Yui wipes her face and searches the mudmen pile with Khoren, looking for her dagger. She finds it with it's crossguard broken, presumably thanks to her furious stomping. She breathes in very deeply as if to try to calm herself, and failing, she shoves it back in it's sheath. Looking over at Khoren, she realizes that the battle scarred him as well, although she suspected his laments were very different than hers. Yui wordlessly walks over and gives Khoren a hug.
Take your recovery checks. Your dagger is salvagable, but you will have to find a town or someone who can fix the cross guard.
Feb 11, 2015 4:21 pm
"I'm sorry guys. This is all overwhelming, but it's occurred to me that the wizen isn't in a location... The young were bait. The wizen could be anywhere. The mudmen thought we were the wizen springing the trap."

Darazen examines the unknown device using Numenera training. **hmmm looks like an unknown device**
Last edited February 11, 2015 4:22 pm

Rolls

Numenera training - trained - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Feb 11, 2015 10:18 pm
grandmaster says:
Walking over to her prisoner and giving him a kick, he made a grunt and satisfied he was still alive, she sat down on his chest. After resting and healing, she stands to look at her prize. He has expired. He took 2 damage from the kick (blunt object) and another point from the "crush" of sitting on his chest.

Damn! I must have knocked him on the head a bit harder than I thought.

Shrugging her shoulders and letting out a heavy sigh Utazó turns her attention to searching the dead man's body. If he can't talk, maybe his belongings will.

Rolls

Intellect Roll (Searching the dead Mud Man) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Feb 12, 2015 2:26 am
szemely says:
grandmaster says:

Damn! I must have knocked him on the head a bit harder than I thought.

Shrugging her shoulders and letting out a heavy sigh Utazó turns her attention to searching the dead man's body. If he can't talk, maybe his belongings will.
the shins and cyphers were already collected, but I will let you have a chance at one more. I will roll a 1d6 on this post. Odds, he is poor and has nothing but 5 shins... Even and he has 20 shins and one cypher.

Rolls

Poor or rich? - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Feb 12, 2015 2:44 am
Taking time to recover, Yui checks out what Darazen has found. "Nice haul." She slips a prod stick in her belt pouch before going to Osred to heal some small bruises (If you would be so kind...).

"Now what? With your debt settled, can we all die happy now?" She smirks ask if to say "When we're dead." Yui is quickly returning to her usual self, leaving little trace that she was ever feeling off, although she does seem more friendly towards everyone.
"What's our next objective? I'd like to get out of this slimy cave and get some form or another of strongly fermented yeast, but what they were talking about was intriguing...." Yui starts pacing. "They want a slicer beetle wizen for some 'Queen', and also mentioned an 'assassin's heart. I wonder if wizens have any special properties..."

"But really, what should we do?"

(Everyone, what's our next plan?)
Last edited February 12, 2015 2:45 am

Rolls

speed recovery - (1d6+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

remember facts about wizen beetles - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Feb 12, 2015 3:24 am
Yui abruptly stops pacing. "Thats it! Wizen's blood has special properties. I don't recall what they are, but I know they must be worth something if these mudmen were after them. Oh, by the way, wizens love their little baby beetles. If the wizen shows up, it's going to find them dead, and unfortunately our company will be found responsible. We need to get out of here before it returns! We'll have to fight those guards. I just really hope the wizen doesn't show up during our next party."
Yui strides to the entrance and waits for the others (unless anyone has another idea?)
Feb 12, 2015 3:28 am
Khoren's hands drift down to the two unknown cyphers as if under their own volition. Delicately, intimately, he begins tracing their lines, seeking their purpose be revealed. He takes one of the artifacts and gestures with it to beckon over Tara, Yui and Darazen, making sure they all know how to use it to travel through solid ground.

He removes the commanders brigantine armor and adds it to the pile of gear.

Lastly, he takes one of the prods, and tucks it into his belt before taking posture near the beetle lair entrance, wrapping his cloak around him in order to blend into the cave wall in the dim light.

Rolls

Intellect check, Identify numenera (specialized) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Feb 12, 2015 3:30 am
grandmaster says:
the shins and cyphers were already collected, but I will let you have a chance at one more. I will roll a 1d6 on this post. Odds, he is poor and has nothing but 5 shins... Even and he has 20 shins and one cypher.
Sorry, didn't realize he had been searched already, thought he was hidden behind the rocks where Utazó proceeded to accidentally kill him while using him as a bean bag chair.

Looks like this one has already been searched. Quick bunch of pilferers they are. Utazó smiles and shakes her head as she gives the body a second look over and discovers a few missed shins. Looking over her shoulder she notices that the others have collected all of the belongings in the beetles' chamber and walks over and throws the five shins onto the pile.

"Anything useful in all of that junk?", she asks Darazen as the jar of putty catches her eye. Picking up the jar she holds it up above her head as if inspecting it and asks "Any objections?" and then proceeds to stuff it into her pack without waiting for a response.

Hearing Yui's query about the groups next course of action Utazó pipes up, "We need to find another one of these people and try to get them to talk. Juvenile slicer beetles act as bait for a Wizen and apparently the prospect of a captured Wizen acts as a sort of bait to these mud people. I think if we find a Wizen more of the mud people won't be too far away." Remembering the light/trip device she discovered earlier she adds, "And I think I know where we might start..."
Feb 12, 2015 3:44 am
Yui looks at Utazo unbelievably. "You want to find a wizen? You've lost it! We can just hop on over to the guards, break some bones, and get our test subject. Besides, we don't know what they're guarding, either. Might be more shiny objects. And those wizens could kill us all instantly! (10 damage per hit is pushing our luck...)" But then Yui grins at Utazo. "Unless you have more heroics planned?"

Yui is drawn to the adrenaline rush of fighting a wizen, and against her better judgement decides to go with Utazo's burgeoning plan.
Last edited February 12, 2015 3:47 am
Feb 12, 2015 4:13 am
Kaizival says:
Yui looks at Utazo unbelievably. "You want to find a wizen? You've lost it! We can just hop on over to the guards, break some bones, and get our test subject. Besides, we don't know what they're guarding, either. Might be more shiny objects. And those wizens could kill us all instantly! (10 damage per hit is pushing our luck...)" But then Yui grins at Utazo. "Unless you have more heroics planned?"
"I'll leave the heroics to the rest of you", Utazó says, shooting a smile back at Yui. "And besides, I said 'find' not 'fight'. Maybe this isn't the only wizen trap they have set down here. I found some sort of trip wire or detection looking beam back through the arches where Khoren originally saw some men walking when we first dropped into this hell hole. I think it would be worth taking a closer look to see exactly what that thing is."
Feb 12, 2015 4:41 am
Darazen takes a prod stick and says, "There are 4 cyphers here, I suggest the two new arrivals take two each." He then deftly pockets the 62 shins. He also takes an artifact device (ooc: do they count as cyphers as Darazen already has 3?).

Listening to the discussion between Utazo and Yui, Darazen appears to sound sagely when he says, "We need to get organized. There's armor here that someone should wear, and we should coat ourselves in mud. I agree we should head north and find the guards. Although we may have killed some mudmen, we still don't know why they attacked our camp. I for one am curious to find out. As for the wizen, it will probably find us before we find it... Especially if we stay here with the young beetle carcasses. Let's move north!"
Last edited February 12, 2015 4:42 am
Feb 12, 2015 6:59 am
Nodding gratefully to Darazen, Yui gathers up the Unknown and Camouflage Spray cyphers.

"I'll leave the armor to someone else, and I doubt Tara will want it either. I agree with Darazen and yours truly on the fact that we should get moving, because although part of me wants to see this wizen, I think don't want to exchange pleasantries with that thing in here, with the dead beetles to enrage it. What if we split up? That way we're all merry company. Me and Utazo and possibly someone else can tag along to check out the light, while another party can deal with the guards. If we run into any trouble this Camo Spray should give us somewhere to hide, and if we're really in trouble we'll start caterwauling."
Yui energetically shakes the device like a spray can, then mimics the howl of a wolf with savage gusto.

Rolls

recover might - (1d6+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Feb 12, 2015 4:44 pm
Somewhere, deep in the cavern network, a hunter has reset the trap and is skinning his latest catch. A whisper of a sound catches his ear. He stops and holds his breath. Was that what he thought it was? He is about to exhale when he hears it again, the howl of a wolf... a rare creature whose meat and fur are worth three times the shins of some of the beasts he's caught lately. He listens again, trying to determine where the howl came from. He picks up his weapons and traps and starts to make his way deeper into the network of caverns.
Feb 12, 2015 5:01 pm
Without daylight, no one knows the time of day. Everyone is beat up and tired, though it does not feel like you've bee down here for long at all. Everyone agrees that this is not the place to stay. Gathering up the weapons and Numenera/Cyphers, you need to decide where to go.

You can leave for the surface. There are two directions, through the earth like you go here or through the tunnel Tara came through (though you know that might be a bit of a climb).

To the east of the cavern, there is the intersection. There are the paths (North and south) that are adorned with carved archways. These paths seem well traveled and those who saw the mudmen walking through here will remember and share that they came from the south and made their way north with some creature.

The cavern tunnel itself leads east. It looks more natural and less carved. It also appears less traveled.
Feb 12, 2015 5:10 pm
Darazen shrugs, "Everything I know, and everything I sense, says we head east out of the cavern. The commander wanted to flee east, and we know there's a waterfall and 5 guards somewhere to the east. If we are tracking the mudmen, then that would seem to be the way to go..."

As he speaks he seeks a source of mud and starts to slap it thickly on his robes. "Khoren, you'll clean me up later, right?"
Last edited February 12, 2015 8:27 pm
Feb 12, 2015 8:23 pm
Khoren pushes the accumulated gear with the leathery toe of one boot. "Before we move, we should divide this up, and stash the rest. I'll take an artifact, a prod stick, and the Detonation Device. Hurry, and remember not to overload on cyphers!"
Brigandine armor (DR 2, medium)
Cyphers we have:
4 artifacts (one out of energy) and a couple of partial spare energy cells (KHOREN: 1) +
The Catseye, when injected allows you to see in the dark for 8 hours. (DARAZEN)
The Sleep Inducer patch puts the victim to sleep for 10 minutes.
The Stim injector decreases the difficulty of the next action by 3 steps. (DARAZEN)
The Spatial Warp increases the range of another ranged Numenera to 1 mile.
The Speed Boost adss 1 to Speed Edge for one hour.
The Shocker is a ring that delivers a burst of electricity, damage equal to the cypher level. (DARAZEN)
6 Prod Sticks, shock for 1 to 4 speed damage. (KHOREN: 1, DARAZEN: 1)
Camoflauge Spray, perfectly camoflauges up to a cube of 10'x10'x10' of objects. (YUI)
Water Weapon, long range weapon 3 points of damage, only works through water.
Detonation Device (see below) (KHOREN)
Projectile Module (see below) (YUI)

Detonation (Gravity), Explosive Device, Level: 4
Usable: Explosive device or ceramic sphere (thrown, short range)
Effect: Bursts in an immediate radius, inflicting damage equal to the cypher level by increasing gravity tremendously for one second. All in the area are crushed to the ground for one round and cannot take physical actions.

Projectile Module (Teleport), Level: 7
Usable: Small metal and synth plate
Effect: This cypher must be attached to another cypher or artifact (a level 4 task) that fires solid projectiles, like a slugspitter or a compactor. Once attached, it no longer counts against a character’s cypher limit. The projectile(s) of the cypher or artifact it is attached to now teleport through barriers to get to the target, but the target must be seen. The attack ignores Armor and can even pass through solid barriers. The module cannot be removed from the device without destroying both the module and the device.
Last edited February 12, 2015 9:09 pm
Feb 12, 2015 8:32 pm
(ooc: Darazen has a prod stick, cats eye, shocker and stim injector.
The sleep inducer was used by Osred).

Based on previous posts:

Khoren has spacial warp and speed boost
Darazen has cats eye, shocker and stim injector
Osred had sleep inducer, but used it
Utazu took nothing.
Yui took camouflage and projectile module
Last edited February 12, 2015 8:47 pm
Feb 12, 2015 9:50 pm
Merlin says:
Utazu took nothing.
Utazó did take the jar of putty oddity, but nothing else.
Last edited February 13, 2015 1:00 am
Feb 13, 2015 2:00 am
"I still stand behind my plan. That way we get our questions answered and we can investigate that light."
Feb 13, 2015 2:36 am
Kaizival says:
"I still stand behind my plan. That way we get our questions answered and we can investigate that light."
Utazó nods in agreement, "If we do split up let's not get too far apart, it took all we had to handle these mud covered sons of abhumans, don't want either of our groups getting overwhelmed. Once we're all done here, we'll head off as a group until we reach the arches, Yui, Darazen, and I will head north a bit to investigate the light I found earlier, and the rest can try and track down some guards."

"Whoa, who the hell put me in charge?", she thinks to herself and she sheepishly adds, "I mean, if that's alright with everyone."

"I'll take look out while we finish up in here", she says as she finds a place to hide just outside the entrance to the chamber. Starting to sound more and more like father every day...
Last edited February 13, 2015 2:37 am

Rolls

Intellect Roll (if needed, while playing lookout) - (1d20)

(9) = 9

You do not have permission to post in this thread.