Callista Firin—Togruta Thief

Feb 8, 2015 7:59 pm
"Out in the Rim, you gotta do what you gotta do to survive, even if it's frowned upon. Whever, if people wanted to keep their stuff they should keep better track of 'em, right?"

Callista is a thief, a pickpocket, a scoundrel. Whatever title you call her by, she's adept at parting people and their possessions.

With your permission, RustInPieces, I'd like to be a Sentinel/Shadow from the F&D book. Here's the talent tree.

It gives me a starting Force Rating of 1, but I only get 3 free career skills and 2 specialization skills to offset the FR1. This saves me 10XP from purchasing FSEx, which I would mostly ignore anyway.

I'd like to play the "lucky thief" where she doesn't know that she's a Force-sensitive yet, but will learn later.

What say you, GM?
Last edited April 9, 2015 3:53 pm
Feb 9, 2015 2:07 am
I'm reluctant to allow this because we talked about EotE only, and I'm still a new to EotE. But seeing the talent tree, it looks like a mixture of the FSEx with Thief (and a hint of Assassin/Slicer). Because of those similarities, and the fact that it won't make her something of a force-tank without mixing other specifications in, I think I'll allow it with the following caveats. I've given this some thought and think I should write out my reasoning; I very much want to be fair to everyone, and not owning FaD it's hard to know how I can spin it into the story.

- No lightsaber—she'll have to earn/buy/steal/build her own later. It won't be easy, and probably will require encountering an inquisitor, or at least assassins who specialize in hunting Jedi.

- Only Sense, Influence, and Move powers are accessible for her to learn at this time. I think the talents in the tree will stand her in good stead on this one, even without some of the other force powers. Because this adventure isn't about the force I don't want it stealing the spotlight, with things like forsee, lightning, choke, etc.

- Mechanically, I'd like you to play her as-if she were FSEx. This is still very close to Order 66, the Jedi are all but exterminated, and it's very probable that she has absolutely no training. As such, I think it would be better to play her as less than a padawan, but with potential to become a Jedi later (as the story warrants). And she should probably be scared as all get out when she realizes she's force sensitive.

Depending on how the story goes, I'd like to bring in AoR and FaD for everyone at some later point in the story. If we do bring in FaD later, I'll completely lift these restrictions. Otherwise, I'll gradually roll them back. And if you chafe at them later, or now even, don't hesitate to tell me. Part of my reluctance is from the fact that it's an unknown, I'm still a fairly new EotE GM, and I want to keep my game low on complications while I sort my own GMing style out. :)
Feb 9, 2015 2:34 am
I wasn't going to bring it up, but when you opened it up for other non-EotE books I fiugred why not ask. All of the game lines are 100% compatible, so it's not like there's any issues with that.

I understand your reasonings for all your caveats, and I was going to be doing them all anyway :p

She's a thief who's extremely lucky, unaware of her Force sensitivity. I was going to take the basic sense and move powers to show her "luck" at being able to know when to chut and run (sense to know that there are more people than she bargined for) and for that "Oh, they dropped this" (move at close range).

I'd like to work up to uncovering her Force-sensitivity and possibly acquiring a lightsaber at some point, but that's down the line quite a bit. Besides, a basic lightsaber is only damage 6—the one in the EotE book is fully-modded out. If you'd like, I can share the lightsaber rules and you can decide if she can find one or not.

In any case, I'll have her finished tomorrow by lunchtime.

And thanks!
Feb 9, 2015 2:40 am
I'm glad we're on the same page. We'll work the other details out as we go.

I did my research before deciding to commit to EotE. Read quite a few posts, and also listened to the Order 66 podcast. So I know that FFG works very hard to make fully compatible games in this line. That's part of why I want to add them later—perhaps do a full FaD game as it comes out. ;)
Feb 9, 2015 7:18 pm
I tried to create a character but got an error, so here's the maths of what I did.
Original obligation: criminal
Gained +10 obligation (Bounty) for +10XP

Initial Skills:
Deceptions, Skulduggery, Stealth
Stealth, Skulduggery

Initial XP Spent on:
• Basic Sense power: 10XP
• Basic Move power: 10XP
+Range Upgrade: 5XP
• Slight of Mind Talent: 5XP
• Street Smarts Talent: 5XP
• Mental Fortress Talent: 10XP
• Unrelenting Skeptic Talent: 15XP
• Slight of Mind 2: 15XP
• +Computers/Deception/Streetwise/Discipline: 25XP
• Well Rounded talent (Discipline and Vigilance added to career skill list): 10XP

150cr left:
Holdout blaster: 200cr
Heavy clothing: 50cr, 1 soak
Combat knife x4: 100cr
Last edited April 29, 2015 10:55 pm
Feb 9, 2015 10:52 pm
Maybe Perception (Cun) to search for traps, hidden loot, etc. Thief needs to be scope their way around. Or maybe vigilance in case someone gets the drop on you to give you that boost in initiative.
Feb 9, 2015 11:37 pm
Perception is already a career skill, but vigilance would be a good alternative!
Feb 10, 2015 12:06 am
Are you sure you don't want to upgrade a characteristic or two? This is the only time, aside from the bottom row of talents, you'll get to do so.

You might try a knowledge skill. I do like unorthodox skill use. ;)
Feb 10, 2015 2:24 am
I'm good with my characteristics as-is. It's expensive to increase them, and I need the XP to spend elsewhere. Besides, with a few more XP I can get +1 FR.
Last edited February 10, 2015 2:24 am
Feb 11, 2015 12:25 am
I'm a little behind on this, but Callista is approved.
Feb 11, 2015 12:47 am
I just noticed when updating the Obligometer thread that Callista has no obligation on the sheet. Comparing with your post above, I see that she has some. Please check your sheet and make sure it's up to date with all the necessary information (barring bugs like attribute-skill relationships).
Feb 11, 2015 4:40 pm
I opted for +10 obligation, so I have 15 Criminal Obligation—a good thief's name gets around :p
Last edited April 29, 2015 10:56 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.