[Closed] Recruitment: 5e home brew short story

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedDungeons & Dragons 5thPublic5 / weekGreyWord
A wise king and peace for decades: everyone is happy but adventurers. Finally an opportunity - rumours about dragon activity reach the capital. Group of experienced adventurers decide to to make a desperate attempt to take care of the dragon before army does.

Story begins upon group arrival at the rancho where report came from only to find army already setting up their camp and scouting mountains nearby. To earn the glory and manage to loot dragon lair they have to hurry, not only survive. Their attempt is desperate but not deadly: no dragons have been seen in the region for centuries and they believe it is at most a young dragon, if a dragon at all.

Missing any details? Ask DM at the recruitment thread.

Aug 15, 2022 9:25 am
Once upon a time I've designed a 5e one-shot that would include dungeons, dragons, negotiations, investigation, exploration, and much more elements of a DnD scenario. Put it all into a one-shot... it turned into a 2 (and a half) session game. I've DMed it online twice, covering most of my online friends. I am willing to reanimate that game for you, my dear gamersplane players.

Rules: DnD 5e. DM using DMG and PHB. Players free to use any official source (including Tashas', Ravenloft, Strixhaven and Mordenkainen)
The Pitch: A wise king and peace for decades: everyone is happy but adventurers. Finally an opportunity - rumours about dragon activity reach the capital. Group of experienced adventurers decide to to make a desperate attempt to take care of the dragon before army does.
Adult Content or Controversial Themes: only the typical DnD stuff - monstrosities, undead, horror.
Character creation: you will be creating lvl 5 PC, point buy or roll, all official 5e rules allowed. But you will start with standard starting equipment as per rules. Period.
Game Duration and Post Frequency: 3-6 months 3-5 posts per week (one per working day) depending on player activity.
Specialized Software: none
Player Experience Requirements: none, I welcome those who want to learn 5e to this game, though it will not be simple to learn by playing lvl 5 PC.
How to Apply: post here or PM. This IS first come first serve game
DM is explicitly friendly to LGBT and any other minorities or marginalized groups.
Last edited September 4, 2022 5:05 am
Aug 15, 2022 9:35 am
I’d love to throw my hat in the ring. I’m not new to 5e, but I am new to pbp.
Aug 15, 2022 3:06 pm
Hmmm. Dragons!. You have caught my interest.
Aug 15, 2022 3:13 pm
Very interested in joining this! Throws hat into ring.
Aug 15, 2022 6:06 pm
I am interested in joining. I am not new to pbp or DND 5E, but I am new to Gamers Plane, so it'd be nice to get a game going so I can see how the site plays. Thanks!
Aug 16, 2022 3:54 am
That's all 4 players I need. Should anyone new to gamersplane still be interested write me. I may figure something out.
Aug 16, 2022 3:54 am
I am always interested in a D&D game where I don't have to start at 1st level. If there's room, and you'll have me, I'd like to join.
Aug 16, 2022 3:59 am
timplausible you are a waitlist.
Aug 16, 2022 2:38 pm
Then I shall be waiting. :)
Sep 2, 2022 1:36 pm
Update: I am recruiting new players because, you know some players have dropped yet again.
Up to two spots open. Requirement: you need to be committed to post at least 3 times per week.

Story is first initial social interaction scene is done, but main action is yet to come, so you have missed little.
Sep 2, 2022 2:46 pm
If you have free slots, I would be interested to fill one. I am fine taking any role the party needs.
Sep 2, 2022 3:41 pm
I'll throw my hat in the ring. I'm fairly experienced in 5th edition. Got a few weird ideas for characters.
Sep 2, 2022 4:31 pm
I am enticed by the idea of a shorter game. Let me know if there is an opening.
Sep 2, 2022 4:48 pm
@SvanDerh, @Fisty, @GreyGriffin thanks for quick response and interest
I will now try to scare you off, please confirm you are still interested given as a DM I'm

1. I'm a RAW guy. I love to say players no you can't do that because ... and quote PHB. Or Ok you can do that but here are the consequences and again quote a PHB. That is not fun for a player, but that is how I play 5e.

2. My favourite 5e rule is Ability Checks RAW. The DM calls for an ability check when a character or monster attempts an action (other than an attack) that has a chance of failure. My PBP interpretation of this rule is this: I will ignore most of you skill check rolls unless you describe an entertaining PC action that I think may or may not succeed.
[ +- ] In particular that means
3. I focus on player actions and their reasoning. And I love players who try to try an action in any scene over those who wait for the right scene for their skills to present. It is not a rule but suggestion in PHB that player should describe
[ +- ] What and why their PC want to DO. DO!
Last edited September 2, 2022 4:49 pm
Sep 2, 2022 5:16 pm
I don't see much to scare away here.

1. You play by the rules, that is why there are rules. I don't pretend to know every detailed spell interaction by heart though. So mistakes can be made.

2. If checks are so eady or so hard that they auto succeed or lose, that is what happens. Sure.

3. You like proactive players. Sounds good.
Sep 3, 2022 7:54 pm
I agree with SvanDerh. As long you're clear with "Your vision of the story" I have no problem with strict DM rules.
Sep 4, 2022 5:04 am
since this is first come first serve game I put GreyGriffin on a wait list. Invites sent. Recruitmen closed again.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.