[Interest Check] Hot Springs Island using TBH

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 26, 2022 3:07 am
I have decided to dip my toes in the water and try running a group game. I really want to run Dark of Hot Springs Island.

Dark of Hot Springs Island is an open-world, high fantasy sandbox adventure of danger, mystery and adventure. What starts out as a shipwreck on a mysterious island, quickly explodes into an adventure of exploration, intrigue, and a fight for survival.

Hot Springs Island is made up of twenty-five 2-mile hexes with multiple factions, numerous NPCs, and hundreds of detailed locations, problematic treasures and random encounters. While the island is dense with encounters, the number is less important than what the players do with them. The island has the ingredients to be a powder keg of decisions, relationships, beliefs, debts, and random chances to ignite.

I wanted to use a simple ruleset to run the game. I chose The Black Hack (TBH) as it's a comprehensive, rules-light Old School fantasy roleplaying ruleset. The actual rules are only about 20 pages, so it's very easy to review. At it's most basic level, it's a d20 roll under your Stat (STR, DEX, INT, etc) and all rolls are done by the player (ex. Roll under STR or DEX to avoid being hit).

This is a decent sized campaign. Don't be fooled by 25 hexes. The amount of material here can have the group going for a long time. The expectation would be 1 post per day (5 per week).

Len

Aug 26, 2022 3:48 am
Black Hack? Check.
Dark of Hot Springs Island? Check.

This is a HUGE game, McButterpants! I wasn't planning on joining anymore games but this is so tempting. High five for running this either way, pal. If you have trouble finding folks to join (unlikely) I'll offer my services. But please take other applicants first.

Best of luck!
Aug 26, 2022 4:13 am
Same here for me. I've had Hot Springs in my collection for over a year and Black Hack seems like a great system to run it with.
Aug 26, 2022 4:34 am
Right on, McButterpants! I think you’re well aware of my love for TBH, and agree that pairing it with Hot Springs Island is GOLD!

I think this is an interest check vs. straight recruiting, right? I’m interested, depending on post rate and such. I’ll keep my eye out.
Aug 26, 2022 8:00 am
Count me in please! Simple rules and sandbox seems sooo... interesting.
Aug 26, 2022 5:10 pm
Len says:
Black Hack? Check.
Dark of Hot Springs Island? Check.

This is a HUGE game, McButterpants! I wasn't planning on joining anymore games but this is so tempting. High five for running this either way, pal. If you have trouble finding folks to join (unlikely) I'll offer my services. But please take other applicants first.

Best of luck!
Thanks! I hope it does get interest. I'll keep you in mind if it goes ahead.
Aug 26, 2022 5:12 pm
How many players are you looking for?
Aug 26, 2022 5:30 pm
Harrigan says:
Right on, McButterpants! I think you’re well aware of my love for TBH, and agree that pairing it with Hot Springs Island is GOLD!

I think this is an interest check vs. straight recruiting, right? I’m interested, depending on post rate and such. I’ll keep my eye out.
I picked up TBH on your recommendation. It is a sweet system. It may take over OSE as my goto for fantasy games.

This is just an interest check. I just wanted to test the waters before i put a game request out.

I like an evenly paced game. I'd prefer slower to fast. I don't mind a few days between posts. I just don't want it to get too slow.
Aug 26, 2022 6:30 pm
I am not familiar with Black Hack but I have been wanting to see a game of Hot Springs Island for ages now. Definitely interested.
Aug 26, 2022 8:04 pm
Windyridge says:
How many players are you looking for?
Sorry, i didn't see your question. I'm thinking 4 or 5. The easier ruleset should make the game manageable at 5.
Aug 26, 2022 8:09 pm
Thanks to everyone for the interest. I'll leave this open over the weekend to see if anyone else is interested. Thursday night was probably a bad time to post an interest check.

For those of you with experience running games - let me know if I should be watching out for anything.

I'll do a full writeup over the weekend to highlight more about the game and hopefully give everyone enough info to decide if this is for you or not.
Aug 27, 2022 6:43 pm
@Len, I just read your post about recruitment posts. It appears I need to put a bit more work into this if I want to get some interest. Thanks for the write-up! I'm just breaking down the details to draft a recruitment post for this game.
Aug 27, 2022 7:09 pm
Looks like you have 4 or 5 interested peeps already. 🙂

Len

Aug 27, 2022 7:56 pm
@McButterpants if the game is good enough, who needs a fancy recruitment post? 🤣

I'm gonna switch my conditional request to join to an unconditional, enthusiastic "please let me in!"
Aug 27, 2022 8:20 pm
McButterpants says:
I picked up TBH on your recommendation. It is a sweet system. It may take over OSE as my goto for fantasy games.

Yeah baby!
Aug 27, 2022 9:30 pm
Len says:
@McButterpants if the game is good enough, who needs a fancy recruitment post? 🤣

I'm gonna switch my conditional request to join to an unconditional, enthusiastic "please let me in!"
Well, now I feel like the last few hours were wasted. :) I'm almost done, so I'll get a post up soon with the details and get the game page in place. It's miserable weather today, so I have some time. Thanks for the interest!
Aug 27, 2022 10:43 pm
Glad to see such enthusiastic welcome for The Black Hack!
Aug 29, 2022 2:43 pm
Do you need any more players? I want to try as many different games as I can and yours sounds fun.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.