Recruiting: Dungeons & Disney 5E

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedDungeons & Dragons 5thPublic1 / daySvanDerh
https://i.imgur.com/UGXVb5o.png

This is a lighthearted funsies game.
If you are a ruleslawyer, power gamer or looking for Curse of Strahd, this game is not for you.
This game follows the rule of cool, both regarding D&D rules and Disney movie cannon.

Of course, all people of all backgrounds and groups are welcome to join this game.
You're all characters straight out of a Disney movie, living together in the Magic Kingdom, from where they will travel to various places for adventure. It is a mix and match of Disney movies. Beast could fight Scar in Neverland.

Sep 7, 2022 2:43 pm
Due to loads of interest, now recruiting players.

Is Mulan actually a Fighter Samurai or a Paladin?
Could Ariel be a Fathomless Warlock? Or maybe a Bard with the racial skills of a Sea Elf?
How about Elsa as a Wild magic Sorcerer with frosty spells?
How are the ranger skills of Pocahontas?
Did Belle pick up artificing skills from her father?
What is it?
This is a lighthearted funsies game of D&D 5E in which you play a Disney character.
If you are a rules lawyer, power gamer or looking for something as dark as Curse of Strahd (although, that one is high on my wanna-play-list), this game is not for you.
This game follows the rule of cool, both regarding D&D rules and Disney movie cannon.

The world is not very detailed. In the centre of the world is The Magical Kingdom, which is basically "a hub" from where you can travel to various locations. Think Candlekeep Mysteries or Journeys through the Radiant Citadel, for similar "hub settings". Don't expect a masterclass of world building here - although, surely, lots of worlds already exist. But you can travel as easily from Wonderland to Medieval China as from Neverland to Arendelle.

The game should be rated as a Disney movie. Not too scary, although maybe a bit more violent as it is still D&D.
Character Generation Info
Your character is a Disney character or your choice out of a theatrically released animated Disney movie.
- You can use any class you think makes sense for this character.
- Characters will begin at level 3
- Point buy
- Feel free to multiclass if it makes sense
- Feats and variant humans are allowed
- Normal starting equipment & gold, but if your character has any non-magic items that make a lot of sense to have, go ahead.
- If your character qualifies as a Disney Princess, you'll have proficiency in Charisma (Performing) when you are singing, or expertise if you are already proficient in Performing (thanks to @CaveJohnson for the idea when I did an interest check)

- You can also use any race you think complements the character's abilities. Your character will have all the abilities of that race, but will not actually be a member of that race and not look like it.
For example:
a. If you want to play Peter Pan, you could chose the Fairy race because of it's flying speed. That wouldn't mean he'd have wings.
b. If you want to play Ariel, you could chose the Sea Elf race for swimming speed and underwater breathing. Ariel wouldn't be an elf though.

No
- Obvious villians, let them be the villains in the game.
- Characters that will not work in D&D. No Lightning McQueens, or actual (talking) animals.
- Characters related to Donald Duck / Mickey Mouse and that side of Disney.
- Characters that are owned by another brand of the Disney company. No Marvel, Star Wars, Muppets, Simpsons.
Game lenght and what you need
We will be starting with a single adventure, and if we have fun we can play on. I hope for everyone to post once a day. I will post at least each evening (Central European Time).

Nothing is needed besides GP. Experience is not required.
How to apply:
Lots of people have already been brainstorming in the interest check thread.

If you'd like to join, I'd like you to propose a character you'd like to play with the Race and Class combination that would fit them.

- I will pick 5, maybe 6, players based primarily on the characters presented;
- People who presented a character idea in the interest check thread will be prioritized for that character;
- I try to have a varied mix of movies;
- The game does need a princess or two at the least;
- Feel free to present a second choice character.

I have an opening adventure in mind with elements from 3 Disney movies. It might or might not focus big on your character. I like future adventures to focus on characters brought to the table.

Of course, all people of all backgrounds and groups are welcome to join this game.
Last edited September 7, 2022 2:49 pm
Sep 7, 2022 3:15 pm
Cheshire (the cat)
Racial build: Tabaxi
Class: Sorcerer (Aberrant Mind)

(may multiclass later as Rogue)

A chaotic fey entity that usually takes the form of a cat-person. Loves knowledge, playing tricks, puzzles, and rhymes. May be insane...we're not sure. Trades obsessions like others change clothes.
Last edited September 7, 2022 5:34 pm
Sep 7, 2022 3:24 pm
Here we go! As I said in the previous thread, I propose Rapunzel.
Race: Human (Variant) to take the Tavern Brawler feat, for pan-fighting (and hair grapple).
Class: Life-Domain Cleric with divine focus on her hair, so she can heal singing :)

She wouldn't hit big, but heal, tank, and get enemies entangled (hur hur).
Sep 7, 2022 3:34 pm
Phil from Hercules, trainer of heroes! Satyr bard.
Sep 7, 2022 4:01 pm
I’m going to pitch in 3 ideas, in order of preference:

Merida: var Human arcane archer. The world doesn’t need another princess and Merida is all about showing people that our fate is our own.

Jack Skellington: revenant college of spirits bard

Tantor (from Tarzan): Loxodon Barbarian/druid. Hypochondriac and somewhat of a pacifist but has a mean streak when his friends are in danger

Maui (Moana): goliath moon druid/bard. Devoted to his own fame and glory above all else.
Last edited September 8, 2022 12:46 am
Sep 7, 2022 4:06 pm
Boy there would be a lot of bards and Tabaxi characters in this…
Sep 7, 2022 4:13 pm
Belle - Beauty and the Beast.
Var hum. Artificer.
Bg: something to do with crafting and reading.
Sep 7, 2022 4:18 pm
To be fair alot of the animal types can be humanoid-ized instead of being a Beasty type. I.e. mufasa, can be a human or something with a lion motif.
Sep 7, 2022 4:36 pm
I'd love to join the game! Proposed characters:

1. Chien Po from Mulan as a lovable Way of Mercy Monk

2. The Bookseller from Beauty and the Beast (or Père Roberts in the live action) as a College of Lore Bard

3. Genie from Aladdin as a Changeling Air Genie Patron Warlock

(Edit: just adding that @Khulod pitched the genie idea first so they should take the spot if you’d like Genie to be in the game!)
Last edited September 7, 2022 9:49 pm
Sep 7, 2022 4:47 pm
1. Mad Hatter - College of Eloquence Bard / Arcane Trickster Rogue
2. Mary Poppins - School of Conjuration / Enchantment Wizard
Last edited September 7, 2022 5:13 pm
Sep 7, 2022 5:11 pm
Does it include:Walt Disney Pictures / Pixar Animation Studios

The movies characters I adore is WALLE-E title character who may probably be played as warforged druid only concerned about bringing world to balance. Though I don't see how this character could fit a fairy tale world not polluted by civilization, so I guess I do not qualify

Nevertheless, wish you best of fun running that game.
Sep 7, 2022 6:02 pm
therecusant says:

2. Mary Poppins - School of Conjuration / Enchantment Wizard
That would be a fun character. Illusion/Enchantment school?
Sep 7, 2022 9:21 pm
As pitched in the other thread, I would love to play Genie from Aladdin as a genie pact warlock. Not sure on race to be honest. He constantly changes shape anyhow, so the changeling pitched above might actually work out pretty well.
Sep 7, 2022 9:43 pm
Khulod says:
As pitched in the other thread, I would love to play Genie from Aladdin as a genie pact warlock. Not sure on race to be honest. He constantly changes shape anyhow, so the changeling pitched above might actually work out pretty well.
Air Genasi would be my recommendation.
Sep 7, 2022 10:53 pm
Hmm, yes, the levitation is rather fitting, shame it's once per long rest. Otherwise the whole race is not all that appealing. The shapechanging of the changelings is at will on the other hand, and the extra skills are always welcome. So I'd lean there. The flying will come from the genie warlock pact ability at level 6.
Sep 7, 2022 11:21 pm
What if you were Aladdin with the genie pact. Except it’s kind of a reverse pact since technically the genie is bound to your will? Makes for an interesting relationship for a warlock since your genie appears frequently. And you can do pact of the chain and have Apu be your familiar. Background urchin.

Edit: just started that up real quick on D&d beyond and it tracks pretty well!
Last edited September 7, 2022 11:36 pm
Sep 8, 2022 12:49 am
Nah, I don't like Aladdin that much. I prefer to play Genie after he is freed.
Sep 8, 2022 8:23 am
There are a lot of great ideas in here.

Thank you all for submitting them.
I have send out invitations for the game.

Unfortunatelly I can't invite everyone, or I wouldn't be able to manage the game.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.