Interest Check: Trouble in the Rubble

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedDungeons & Dragons 5thPrivate4 / weekHeroAmongMen
You are all new to the adventuring life. What may have brought you here is yours to safeguard or share, but each of you have come to the Great Valley. You have done some exploration of the world, but as you have ventured farther from your homes, you realize that the world is vast and strange. Also, everyone (including you) is worried about the Hounds of the Blind Heaven. There are rumors that the Hounds have ravaged those who have violated the ancient edicts: The Black Taboos.

Solid Truths of Planegea
• The world is very new; this isn’t a medieval or post-apocolyptic world, but a prehistoric, Stone-Age world. As such, the world is still shifting and moving, and landmarks can move and shift.
• The clanfire is sacred; strangers are welcome to rest by the fire each night if they leave their weapons outside of the firelight.
• Every place has its god. The gods are tied to physical locations in the Great Valley; they barter offerings and tasks from mortals in exchange for power; and they compete (and consume) rival gods to obtain their power and influence in the world.
• The world is cursed to remain in the Stone Age by powers beyond the reckoning of gods or mortals. The eerie Hounds of the Blind Heaven hunt those who violate The Black Taboos. They are:
(1) Writing is death;
(2) No number after nine;
(3) No wheels; and
(4) No money.

Safety Tools
This game is generally PG-13. The adventure features themes of horror and darkness, primeval awe, and kinetic action.

Lines. This game will not contain physical violence towards children, unwanted sexual contact, animal abuse or cruelty, party-initiated torture, inter-party violence.

Veils. Cannibalism, mental assault, ritual sacrifice, kidnapping, consensual sex, enemy-initiated torture, or parasitic invasion will be "veiled" off-screen.

If at any time you don’t feel comfortable with the content or direction of the game, please say so in the OOC thread, quoting the passage that is an issue, and we will stop the game and address your concerns.

Oct 3, 2022 5:53 pm
https://i.imgur.com/mkUSN1o.jpg

I got my hands on The Star-Shaman's Song of Planegea, and I am loving the lore and the flavor of the setting.

https://i.imgur.com/2VPHRTX.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/i9G45ml.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/kKyg8vJ.png

It showcases a Stone-Age world in which adventurers survive primeval horrors, roam prehistoric landscapes, and brave the aberrant and strange edges of a world not yet split into different planes of existence. The gods are new, and have a limited amount of power in the world, so they are often bartering with mortals to do their bidding, in exchange for power, knowledge, and items of wondrous might.

https://i.imgur.com/XMse3pi.jpg

I wanted to see if anyone would like to explore one or more pre-written adventures set in this pre-historic place.

We would delve into the lore of the setting, build characters around concepts in this place, and create some great memories during the process of exploring a vast and wonderful new world.

https://atlas-games.com/atlas-cms/resources/shutterstock1726923520.jpg

Who is with me?

https://atlas-games.com/atlas-cms/resources/lair-monster-long-web-1.jpg
Last edited October 3, 2022 5:59 pm
Oct 3, 2022 6:27 pm
Sounds fantastic! Would love to join!
Oct 3, 2022 8:47 pm
I just downloaded the Quick Look, not quite sure about buying the full thing, but the Quick Look at the setting ... oh hell yes.
Oct 3, 2022 9:11 pm
I'll get you everything you need to know in various threads on the game. Fortunately, it is mostly a 5e wrapper, so all 5e stuff is found in the setting.
Oct 3, 2022 9:40 pm
I don't usually like 5e, but this setting seems like it might be worth the trouble. I probably would play a barbarian.
Oct 3, 2022 10:01 pm
Oh wow. I can't find my 5e pdfs, and apparently they don't sell those any more. I guess I'm out. Sorry.
Oct 3, 2022 10:01 pm
I'd definitely be interested in checking it out! Checking out the First Look PDF, and this setting looks fantastic. Love the concept.
Oct 4, 2022 12:22 am
I'll second that! The free first look is well written. I can't wait to start working on the details.
Oct 4, 2022 6:53 am
tibbius says:
Oh wow. I can't find my 5e pdfs, and apparently they don't sell those any more. I guess I'm out. Sorry.
@tibbius, I can send you a PDF of the Basic Rules, but I also have DNDBeyond, where you can read the full rules there.

I have enough interest to start a game thread, and we will start plowing through soon.
Oct 4, 2022 12:16 pm
I looked through the preview and it looks amazing! I'm tempted to buy it. Do you have a spot for one more?
Oct 4, 2022 12:42 pm
HeroAmongMen says:
@tibbius, I can send you a PDF of the Basic Rules, but I also have DNDBeyond, where you can read the full rules there.
Oh nice! Given the hint, I found that at wizards.com.

Yes, I think I will play a human fighter and see where things go.
Oct 4, 2022 1:44 pm
I'm thinking of a Human or a Half-Orc for race and possibly a Fighter or a Guardian. I'll base my final choice on a background idea I'm working on.
Oct 4, 2022 2:00 pm
Oh. What are the backgrounds options for Planegea? A lot of the ones from 5e Basic do not make sense for the setting.
Oct 4, 2022 2:02 pm
tibbius says:
Oh. What are the backgrounds options for Planegea? A lot of the ones from 5e Basic do not make sense for the setting.
That's a good question.
Oct 4, 2022 2:13 pm
I caved and got the book. The art is amazing. :D

@Tibbius: For story purposes there are a few background tables that go into upbringing, community, relationships, omens, etc.

For the mechanical ones, there are various clans (ape, bear, lion, whale), roles (apprentice, captive, caretaker, crafter, edgegatherer, gatherer, keeper of beasts, raider, savant, storyteller, trader) and some odd ones out such as captive, chieftain's kin and free citizen.
Oct 4, 2022 2:15 pm
Hmm, that actually helps with my decision. Thanks for the post.
Oct 4, 2022 2:27 pm
Upon a little more reading, it's clear that there are conversions of the original backgrounds. For example, the Chieftain's Kin is the conversion of the PHB Noble.
Oct 4, 2022 3:15 pm
If I get in, I think I'd like to play an Elf or Half-Elf Circle of Stars Druid. Would you have druids be playable, considering the blurb says they're "killed on sight"? Could be tricky to play with, but I like the concept. I'm also interested in the Starling and Dreas kinships. They don't sound like 5E reskins to me, so I'm guessing they're new in this book?

Sadly, I can't really afford to pick up the book right now. But I'd definitely be interested in learning more about them.
Oct 4, 2022 3:34 pm
Looks like I have enough interest to run a game. Thank you to those who participated in this thread. I will be sending invitations to you all in the next week or so. As far as Planegea-specific content, I plan to put some of that in the game thread.

Please be patient with me, as I do have some work and family obligations that do take some of my time.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.