[IC] Women Are Werewolves: A Nonbinary Storygame

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedWomen Are WerewolvesPublic1 / daybowlofspinach
https://i.imgur.com/T5LEIBV.jpg

Women are Werewolves is a card-based storytelling game where you play the role of nonbinary members of a family that believe only women transform into werewolves. This is a game about self-discovery and whether you can find, or make, a space for your authentic self within a family that might not understand you. By answering questions from carefully created prompts, we explore our relationships to gendered spaces and family traditions.

Oct 4, 2022 4:25 am
https://i.imgur.com/T5LEIBV.jpg

Women are Werewolves is a card-based storytelling game where you play the role of nonbinary members of a family that believe only women transform into werewolves. This is a game about self-discovery and whether you can find, or make, a space for your authentic self within a family that might not understand you. By answering questions from carefully created prompts, we explore our relationships to gendered spaces and family traditions.

This might be a long shot for this community, but since I just got my kickstarter fulfillment, I figured I might as well give this a shot and see if there is any interest.
WaW isn't really a traditional RPG. Instead, we will receive prompts and answer them in turns, building a story and a shared understanding of the family and the characters' roles in it that way.

I haven't played the game before but it's very straightforward. Everyone who's playing will come up with their own character who are all part of a large family in which all (and only) women transform into werewolves during the full moon, so the whole family gathers in some remote location for this event.
It's a card-based game but thanks to the fact that all cards are numbered, we can use the GP dice roller to randomly draw cards. I feel like this should work pretty well on GP.

> Tone and Content: The tone is supposed to be fairly serious. The characters are dealing with hostility and opposition from their family (the degree of which will be determined together in the setup phase of the game). That doesn't mean there can't be some levity, but this isn't a comedy game. The one unavoidable content warning for the game is queerphobia. Anything else can and will be discussed in the game itself. We'll talk about limits in the game's set-up phase.

> Game Duration: It's not a very long game. There are three phases, plus the set-up before everything. I think if we manage a good pace of about a post per player every day or every other day, we should be able to finish the game in about a month.

> Specialized Software and Resources: Nothing required. It'll all happen on GP. You do not need to have the game. I will copy all relevant prompt text into the game forum.

> How to Apply: Just let me know in this thread or via PM if you're interested. As for choosing players, I doubt this game will get to the point where there is too much interest. I'm not sure there's even going to be any interest. I just decided to give it a shot.
I am aiming for about 3 to 4 players total (including myself), though, so if there is too much interest, I'm going to have to make a selection. Not by first come first serve.

> Everybody is Welcome: While this is an explicitly queer game and your characters will be nonbinary, the players do not have to be. I myself am not nonbinary either, for example. Everyone who is interested and respectful is welcome, regardless of sexuality, gender identity, race or any other factor.
Anyway, if anyone is interested, let me know. We can even call it a Halloween game! 😄🎃
Oct 4, 2022 5:34 am
These seems super neat, I just don't really have any idea what I'd do with it.

I hope it gets enough interest and, if folks are open to it, I can get a chance to see how the game goes.
Oct 4, 2022 5:40 am
I'd have to discuss with the other players (if this game happens) whether to make it public or not.
Oct 4, 2022 5:41 am
As mentioned before in the Discord, I'm still interested!
Oct 4, 2022 1:57 pm
bowlofspinach says:
It's a card-based game but thanks to the fact that all cards are numbered, we can use the GP dice roller to randomly draw cards. I feel like this should work pretty well on GP.
Are the cards replaced? @Aquafina has a project looking at decks without replacement (or with replacement too, I suppose). He and I are discussing a pure client-side implementation (i.e. scripts) for allowing GP custom decks.

https://i.imgur.com/WL0S6Ah.png

He might be interested in someone testing the concept and providing feedback.
Oct 4, 2022 2:18 pm
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure it'd be worth it for this game. We only draw one card (or one per player) from a number of different small decks (and are supposed to keep them hidden in a new stacked deck until they're revealed in order). I'm sure it could be done with this implementation, but getting all the cards scanned and uploaded and getting it set up would probably be more effort than just rolling for the cards, considering what a short game it is.
Plus, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with essentially scanning the entire deck and uploading it somewhere, considering it's a brand new game and the cards are all of it. Not sure if the creators would approve.

But thanks! If I ever run a game that makes more consistent and regular use of cards, I'd be happy to try testing your thing 😊
Oct 4, 2022 2:28 pm
Aqua's thing. But no problem. It'll give Aqua more time to write it.
Oct 4, 2022 3:04 pm
Ah, I thought you were working on it together. Sorry. Aqua's thing
Oct 4, 2022 3:11 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Ah, I thought you were working on it together. Sorry. Aqua's thing
I'm DMing it.
Oct 4, 2022 6:32 pm
I'm interested and would love to join.
Oct 5, 2022 9:51 am
Awesome, that's definitely enough interest. I'll keep the thread open for another day or so but I'll get started on setting up the game itself in the meantime
Oct 6, 2022 5:40 pm
I have set up some stuff and sent out invitations to the three people who have expressed interest in here. You can accept the invitations here and then we'll continue in the game forum

You do not have permission to post in this thread.