Updating GPs look! Sorta...

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 12, 2016 3:27 am
What site are you on? Gamers' Plane? Gamers' Plane doesn't look like this... Why is the header more subtle, the footer more filled in? Wait, the header is sticky? WTF IS GOING ON?!

Yes, I've updated GPs header and footer, but more importantly, the logo! I really like the logo and I was given a lot of ideas for it that I'm excited to try out in time. But for now, I've started implementing some of the design ideas I've wanted to for a while. What do you guys think? Suggestions/feedback? Specially on the sticky header; what do you think of that? I wasn't sure if it'd actually be good or not.

I want to give the logo designer the credit he deserves, but I can't remember his Twitter handle, and I don't know if he's ok with me giving out his real name or not.
Jul 12, 2016 3:31 am
Like it so far, keep up the awesome work Keleth.
Jul 12, 2016 3:58 am
I like the new header!
Jul 12, 2016 4:08 am
Works fine on mobile. But header text could be bigger (for mobile). When you don't have new pm I think color of icon should be grey. (Now it is red).
Last edited July 12, 2016 4:10 am
Jul 12, 2016 4:10 am
Mihey says:
Works fine on mobile. But header text could be bigger (for mobile). When you don't have new pm I think color of icon should be grey. (Now it is red).
The text is actually 25% larger than the text in the old header, so I thought it'd work a bit better on mobile. In general, some day I'd like to have a mobile version of the site.
Jul 12, 2016 4:14 am
Hey how about a gamers plane app?
Jul 12, 2016 4:15 am
Holmag says:
I keep meaning to relearn app development, but the hard part is actually the design. I'm a good coder; I'm a mediocre, at best, designer.
Jul 12, 2016 4:25 am
Yup, looks great on my Galaxy S6 droid. Certainly an improvement, navigation wise. And it looks good, too. Thanks, Keleth!
Jul 12, 2016 5:46 am
I absolutely love how it shows your profile picture in the upper right corner. Nice touch! Feels a lot more slick then previously.
Jul 12, 2016 5:46 am
Holmag says:
Instead of an app, a mobile-optimized layout would be better, IMO. Webapps are easier to keep up to date, doesn't take extra room on the device, and you can add a bookmark to your home screen and it'll look and feel like an app.
Jul 12, 2016 5:50 am
looks good on a Galaxy J7
Jul 12, 2016 12:06 pm
I'm not as keen as others on the new header... the transparency is distracting. My more specific complaint is that when you click a "new post" because the header now covers the top portion of the *page*, it ends up covering the top portion of the new post (so you have to scroll down to see it properly).

.. EDIT and when you make a new post it covers the post you just made, so again, scroll if you want to reread your post (as I often do for post-post-edits in case I made an error)
Last edited July 12, 2016 12:06 pm
Jul 12, 2016 12:12 pm
You are right. Maybe make it shrink much more when you not on top of the site? And make it solid. I imagine something like menu bar in desktop applications.
Jul 12, 2016 12:15 pm
Mihey says:
You are right. Maybe make it shrink much more when you not on top of the site? And make it solid. I imagine something like menu bar in desktop applications.
The anchor for the pages just needs to be moved down (but I would prefer if it were solid as well, I find the transparency distracting... and the resizing). But I might just be a curmudgeon.
Last edited July 12, 2016 12:15 pm
Jul 12, 2016 12:23 pm
I like the way it looks, but I think I would like it better if it stayed at the shrunken down size and was a solid color. Other than that (or really, even without those minor things) I like it :)
Jul 12, 2016 12:41 pm
I'll have to consider the header always being small, but I made it almost completely solid. Don't forget I'm looking for feedback on the new landing page and the new home page.
Jul 12, 2016 12:56 pm
It looks good, but I think the footer should be the same pale grey as the header, otherwise it looks like you only half-committed to the change. Or it could be just me...
Jul 12, 2016 12:58 pm
I purposely left it a darker hue to add contrast. It didn't look good light. It is a different color than before though.
Jul 12, 2016 1:04 pm
Ah, ok. Still, it looks a bit... "mismatched"? Maybe adding a darker grey line to the bottom of the header the same color as the footer, sort of like the light grey line on top of the footer which I think is the same grey as the header?

Also, I just noticed how the logo shrinks when you scroll down... Nice.
Jul 12, 2016 1:08 pm
kalajel says:
Ah, ok. Still, it looks a bit... "mismatched"? Maybe adding a darker grey line to the bottom of the header the same color as the footer, sort of like the light grey line on top of the footer which I think is the same grey as the header?

Also, I just noticed how the logo shrinks when you scroll down... Nice.
There is a shadow on the header that I thought accomplished that, but I'll look again. I tried a solid bar on the header but I don't think it worked well.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.