IC/Recr : The Child Beyond the Witchlight

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedDungeons & Dragons 5thPublic4 / weekSvanDerh

The Witchlight Carnival visits the Kingdom of Cormyr only once each eight years.
And you were too young to remember the event last time.
But this year, it is the talk of the town. Everyone wants to go see it.
Ticket or not, who's gonna stop a kid like you from visiting?

Oct 9, 2022 1:19 pm
In homage to the trope in movies and literature of children visiting Fey worlds
(Alice in Wonderland, Wendy Peter Pan, Narnia, Aurora in Maleficent, and I am probably forgetting tons of them right now)
I am considering to run The Wild Beyond the Witchlight.
But with a twist; the PCs are all kids.

Intro
The Witchlight Canival visits the Kingdom of Cormyr only once each eight years.
And you were too young to remember the event last time.
But this year, it is the talk of the town. Everyone wants to go see it.
Ticket or not, who's gonna stop you?

The game will be mostly Exploration and RP.
The module can go completely without combat, although that is not likely.
The full game runs from Level 1 to Level 8.
This game is open to everyone and all, who like to have a good light hearted, yet spooky, time playing.

Game system
D&D 5E
Rule of cool. Not for drama queens, power gamers and rule lawyers.

Adult Content or Controversial Themes
Thematic horror can certainly be a thing. There will be evil fey, hags, and those sort of things.
Cruelty against kids can't be avoided (your characters can be attacked and damaged). I can't promise that no fictional animals will be hurt either. I'd like to rate it like a very, very scary kids movie at the worst.

Character Creation
All characters are kids. To keep them all in the same range, I would suggest middle-school ages.

Characters start at level 1. I'd like to consider Level 1 more an apprentice / educative level for the purpose of this game. Adult adventurers would probably be higher level when starting. Also please consider why your character already has a class and how they got that class
(Clerics and Warlocks could easily be favored by a Diety or Parton, Rogues could be autodidact, Sorcerers don't need education, they have a natural talent, Wizards could be an apprentice to a more powerful wizard, the Fighter could be a squire to a knight etc.)

Standard Array stats. Please allocate them accordingly, a 15 in Strenght might not make the most sense (but I won't say you can't).

With characters being I'd like to avoid to obscure races, and restrict to PHB. Variant humans allowed.
Cormyr is mostly a human kingdom, with also some elves and half-elves in it.
Characters are one size smaller than they would normally be with their race.

Starting equipment:
You are kids, you don't have the best gear. 50% of maximum starting gold to spend.

Backgrounds and feats that assume you have been in the Feywild before should be avoided.
There include the backgrounds from Wild Beyond the Witchlight and the Fey Touched feat.

If not restricted above, feel free to use any official resource for your character.

Cormyr
The game starts in Cormyr, but certainly will not stay they.
Cormyr is a kingdom the Forgotten Realms, east of the Sword Coast
(which is more popular there days... shakes head)
It is a very Camelot-like realm with knightly orders and stuff like that.
Feel free to take a little read on the internet to know your home country / town.

Game Duration and Post Frequency
I'd hope everyone can post at least every other day, preferably once every day.
I shall usually update in the evenings in European time.

Specialized Software and Resources
Not needed. I shall allow for Custom sheets to use the more powerful character sheets on GP.

Player Experience Requirements
No experience required.
I prefer players who have not played Wild Beyond the Witchlight before, but still feel free to apply if you have.

How to apply
Anyone who wants to play, please post here.
Please make a brief description of a character you have in mind, what class they are and how they got that class.

I shall leave the post up for a few days and see if people are interested, and then pick some 4 to 6 players if there is enough interest.
Last edited October 12, 2022 9:11 pm
Oct 9, 2022 1:23 pm
This is definitely an interesting twist. How about a Human (alternate Human) make that's from a minor noble family. He's a squire to a knight..thus making him a Fighter.

I've also never played the campaign before.
Last edited October 9, 2022 1:24 pm
Oct 9, 2022 3:43 pm
This sounds like an amazing idea. I'd like to pitch a gnome Ranger, range focused obviously, with an eye on Swarmkeeper subclass.
Oct 9, 2022 4:42 pm
Okay, I'm thinking a Half-Elf Paladin. Potentially Oath of the Ancients. An acolyte who's been groomed to inherit the Oath.

Oh, and I've never played the module so I'm a newbie to it. I'm familiar with 5e though and have been looking to play WBtW.
NABO says:

*tentacle-y interested?
Tentacle-y interested indeed lol.
Last edited October 10, 2022 1:24 am
Oct 9, 2022 4:54 pm
RAAMtentacles says:
Tentatively interested, will update soon.
*tentacle-y interested?
Oct 10, 2022 5:09 pm
Three so far.
Hope we can fimd a few more to make it properly playable :)
Oct 10, 2022 10:15 pm
I grew up on the streets, it's a rare meal I didn't steal. Tickets, I don't need no stinking tickets.

Um, Rogue.
Oct 10, 2022 10:34 pm
Esidrix says:
I grew up on the streets, it's a rare meal I didn't steal. Tickets, I don't need no stinking tickets.

Um, Rogue.
Good to see you, Esidrix. Now it's a party.
Oct 11, 2022 4:40 pm
Great! I shall set up a game and invite you all four in the coming hours when I am behind my PC.

Still open for up to 2 more.
Oct 11, 2022 9:43 pm
Variant Human Warlock

Third son of a minor noble. Already rebellious, bristles at the idea of being sent to join the clergy. Dreams of running away and joining the circus.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.