Recruitment: AD&D 2e [Closed]

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedAD&D 2ePrivate1 / daycowleyc
https://i.imgur.com/ZQVU6oy.png

This is a game of AD&D 2nd Edition in all its crunchy, messy glory! Join your party as you delve into tombs, face down devious traps, and attempt to slay dragon as we work through a series of modules that will be tailored to your tastes! There are many sources of modules that will be used, primarily Dungeon Magazine, and you will absolutely need your wits and Lady Luck to survive!

AD&D has a different focus than modern day D&D 5e, in that you are not expected to be Big Dang Heroes, but rather individuals a cut above the rest. You will be challenged, and may not always be capable of succeeding. A common description of the gameplay is that "The answer is not always on your character sheet."

This game is expressly LGBTQIA2S+ friendly. There will be no discrimination amongst players, and I have little interest in including any discrimination in my games (except for the classic elves vs dwarves enmity and the general hatred of evil creatures).

Oct 10, 2022 1:46 am
https://i.imgur.com/ZQVU6oy.png

✅ This is a game of AD&D 2nd Edition in all its crunchy, messy glory! Join your party as you delve into tombs, face down devious traps, and attempt to slay dragon as we work through a series of modules that will be tailored to your tastes! There are many sources of modules that will be used, primarily Dungeon Magazine, and you will absolutely need your wits and Lady Luck to survive!

✅ AD&D has a different focus than modern day D&D 5e, in that you are not expected to be Big Dang Heroes, but rather individuals a cut above the rest. You will be challenged, and may not always be capable of succeeding. A common description of the gameplay is that "The answer is not always on your character sheet."

✅ This game is explicitly friendly to LGBT and any other minorities or marginalized groups. There will be no discrimination amongst players, and I have little interest in including any discrimination in my games (except for the classic elves vs dwarves enmity and the general hatred of evil creatures).

✅ Adult content in this game will primarily be through standard fantasy tropes of violence and death, along with the possibility of slavery depending on the module. I am a huge fan of lines and veils, though I hope the game won't come to require them.

✅ Posting will be once per day, with weekends optional. I spend a lot of time recreating on the weekends, and won't always be able to post; on the other hand, my job has a lot of down time, so I am often able to post multiple times a day should the game require it.

✅ Feel free to apply here, or send me a message! I am looking for up to four more players. I'd love to know your experience with the edition, and while it isn't specifically necessary, this edition can be a little complicated. This is my first time running a game on GamersPlane, second time running a public game on PbP, and third time running any game on PbP. I've been running 2e for two other groups lately, one over discord and one at a game store.
Last edited October 10, 2022 11:49 am
Oct 10, 2022 1:53 am
I'm in, and I'm moderately experienced with the system. It was what I started with, but I haven't been able to play this iteration of D&D for decades. I own the core books, and a few other things.
Oct 10, 2022 2:02 am
Dibs on the kender! (j/k)
Oct 10, 2022 2:37 am
Cool.

I'm interested in playing a Paladin who is a repentant ex-bandit.

I used to play this a bunch back in the day, although we ignored the worst of the crunch (weapon speed and the like).
Last edited October 10, 2022 2:39 am
Oct 10, 2022 2:39 am
Will kits, et. al. be used? If so, I wouldn't object to joining up.
Oct 10, 2022 3:08 am
dominion451 says:
Dibs on the kender! (j/k)
This will be setting neutral, with a barebones homebrew setting that has room for most anyone! Klepto, talkative Halflings included.
Carabas says:
Cool.

I'm interested in playing a Paladin who is a repentant ex-bandit.

I used to play this a bunch back in the day, although we ignored the worst of the crunch (weapon speed and the like).
Let's see if you can roll that paladin! If not, there are plenty of options for those who aren't as worthy!

I'm still debating how to best go about combat initiative. I love weapon speed, but sides initiative is so much faster on these forums.
WhtKnt says:
Will kits, et. al. be used? If so, I wouldn't object to joining up.
Kits will indeed be used! They add so much flavor to the game!
Oct 10, 2022 4:57 am
I'd like to roll up a character with you and see how far he/she can go. Race and class is a non issue, I like them all.

I was given the advice only to use speed factors when it matters. Technically a dagger could go like 3 times before a great sword, however, the space, surprise, and initial contact would be more of a first consideration. Secondly, most lower level PCs get one attack. I mean most folks don't just impale themselves on a great sword.

Speed factors usually end up being the deciding factor for spells in my experience, using it sparingly and fairly. Of course, it is your game sir and you do you. I always ok with that.

Q: Are you using the helmet rules?

Ok, so if you'll have me, I'm in!
Oct 10, 2022 5:41 am
Any room for a cavalier?
Oct 10, 2022 5:45 am
Oh, the good old days. I played second edition for years and years as player and mostly DM.

I am certainly interested for any class.
Oct 10, 2022 11:48 am
I would love to give it a try. Can play anything :D Did one pbp with AD&D before but It unfortunately died quite quickly. I know a little about 2e mostly played in my life 3e.

I have AD&D Player's Handbook in pdf from rpgdrivethru
Last edited October 10, 2022 11:54 am
Oct 10, 2022 11:48 am
umbraldragon says:
Q: Are you using the helmet rules?

If you're implying that all those winged skullcaps in the art totally rule, then yes! I had to look up optional rules for helmets, and I don't think I'll be implementing them. Lots of extra checks to try killing the characters!
Ok all, I've invited @Phil_Ozzy_Fer, @Carabas, @WhtKnt, and @umbraldragon. I'll reach out to @Jomsviking, @SvanDerh, and @bdciopp if any spots open up or aren't claimed!
Last edited October 10, 2022 11:50 am
Oct 10, 2022 7:58 pm
Do you still accept players ? I would love to play an AD&D v2 !
Oct 10, 2022 8:25 pm
YullyBear says:
Do you still accept players ? I would love to play an AD&D v2 !
I'm full up right now, but I can let you know if a spot opens up!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.