Interest Check--D&D5e "Frontier Fantasy" homebrew

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 12, 2022 2:53 pm
Disclaimer: I am nowhere NEAR ready to launch this, I'm more or less gathering opinions on whether this sort of setting would be of interest to anyone. I'm probably still going to work on it regardless, but it doesn't hurt to gather information.

Put in its most simplistic terms, this would be a wild west setting but with medieval weapons instead of guns, but rather than guns just somehow not existing, circumstances have basically made them less effective than swords and arrows unless they're in the hands of extremely skilled shooters. Think Dune with its personal shields that stop fast moving projectiles, but slower moving objects can go through, but with more of a fantasy twist. I haven't figured out exactly what yet, but whatever it is, it's common, mundane, and simple enough to make handheld guns more of a niche weapon rather than just the best solution to combat. Being shot would still hurt, but the damage would be greatly reduced unless an unprotected part of the body was hit.
This would necessitate an introduction of a simple 'called shot' mechanic, where a target would get the chance to make a dexterity save to avoid damage completely, making it a somewhat risky maneuver so players aren't constantly making called shots which would slow down encounters to a grind.

This setting would deal heavily with the major construction projects of the American colonies as the key points of conflict; railroads, blast mining, water canals and forts. One aspect I'm trying to be VERY careful with is the topic of slavery. I don't want to trivialize the suffering of slaves nor the indifference of the people that allowed it by framing it like some funtime action movie where the heroes can kill slavers with a clear conscience to solve the slavery problem, but I also don't want the setting to feel too heavy, preachy, or political.
The setting would also be very turbulent; the country is in the midst of a civil war, but punched up with the added complications of multiple species and of course, this new wrinkle that has put knights and archers back on the battlefield.
In keeping with the high fantasy aspects, this would also open up new avenues for challenging encounters; ogres wielding crank gatling guns like TF2's Heavy, mad bomber goblins, and of course would draw upon the wealth of mythology that came from the 1800's all over the world.
The infrastructure would be what would really make this setting stand out. Printed newspapers, banks, general stores, and a mail system would make day to day life a little more familiar and add a ton of flavor with amusing things like advertisements for dwarfish beer. "Brewed Mountain Strong. Not for leaf lovers!"

Other things I'd be working on for this project:
-A retooling for the gunslinger fighter subclass to fit the aesthetic of the setting (basically to be really effective with guns, this class would be a necessity.)
-A new homebrew monk subclass: "Way of the Wilds", based on animal-stance forms that get specific abilities outside of spending ki (shifting stances in combat would consume ki.) to offer more combat flexibility. Given that the 1800's saw the first influx of Chinese immigrants, that opens the doors for more natural-feeling Asian influences and aesthetics that WOTC have kind of danced around.
-New balance changes for martials to give them a little more utility
-Price changes for equipment and conversion to dollars and cents rather than coinage. (Set to 1800's values)
-A new crafting system specifically centered around upgrading weapons and equipment rather than just collecting a wardrobe of magic items to really allow players get attachments to their favorite gear for theming and personal flavor
-A ton of illustrations to nail down the visual aesthetic of the setting.
-Trying desperately to not just simply be Wild Wild West the RPG.
-Trying desperately to not just make this an excuse to draw tieflings and dwarves as saloon girls.
Oct 12, 2022 6:24 pm
You might want to check out Frontiers of Eberron. Its release have been severely delayed, but it should be around the corner.

https://keith-baker.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/kbp-frag-announce.png
Oct 12, 2022 7:14 pm
1. This sounds very interesting, so in that regard add me to the list of interested parties. I would absolutely be down to play.

2. Not to make the gun issue more difficult, but with Dex being such a god stat already all I can say is the system doesn't need a permutation that makes Dex even more important.

3. This may be un unpopular take, but as far as slavery and the associated issues with things potentially getting political or what have you... put a disclaimer that the game may range into those territories and while you will do your best to handle those topics respectfully... but ultimately, people may need to have a thicker skin.

I say that with no malice, but too many people seem to take anything even slightly controversial as some sort of personal attack.
Oct 12, 2022 8:02 pm
This indeed sounds very interesting...

About guns... one thing that you could do is simply have the unpredictable magic of the Frontier make guns and other science-based tech more complicated than a steam engine unreliable at best.

About slavery...
I think there's only three real ways to go about it: brutal realism and acknowledge that that was a fundamentally Lawful Evil/Neutral Evil society, especially by D&D alignment rules. And good PCs may not like it but there isn't really anything they can do about it.
Or just don't have slavery.
Or change the historical order of event slightly, and have slavery already abolished very recently (which would be why you have that civil war), except this is the Frontier, and what little law there is is easily bribed or threatened off or killed, so abolishment has changed very little on the Frontier. But it does make slavers criminal and perfectly valid targets for so-inclined PCs instead of perfectly legal and law-abiding citizens.
Oct 12, 2022 9:51 pm
runekyndig says:
You might want to check out Frontiers of Eberron. Its release have been severely delayed, but it should be around the corner.
Oh! Didn't know that was a thing. I'll need to look into that to be sure I'm not stepping on any toes.
MaJunior says:

2. Not to make the gun issue more difficult, but with Dex being such a god stat already all I can say is the system doesn't need a permutation that makes Dex even more important.
That's so true, DEX is already king of saving throws in 5e. It could be also a perception check, whether or not the target was able to spot the attempt coming and take the necessary action to avoid it. It might be best to make it a 'or' situation, dexterity check OR perception check to avoid a called shot.
Carabas says:

About guns... one thing that you could do is simply have the unpredictable magic of the Frontier make guns and other science-based tech more complicated than a steam engine unreliable at best.
That's definitely one way to go about it, but I also don't necessarily want guns to be unusable in general, just pull back on their usefulness on humanoid targets specifically and have those who manage to still be effective with guns be considered highly skilled. The theme may be 'wild west but with swords' but I also don't want to completely shut the door for wild west traditionalists.
Last edited October 12, 2022 10:11 pm
Oct 12, 2022 11:06 pm
This sounds super cool. I'm running a supernatural Western, so I think it'd be fun to play one that cranks the magic up. Please keep us posted!

Regarding guns, what about just running with magic? Cast-iron shot bounces off magical auras (fey vs iron) so it's innacurate. Likewise with lead and psionic fields (inspired by radiation). Silver bullets work as expected (so still not perfectly), but hella expensive.

Or guns fire magic missiles. Good aim, mediocre damage.
Oct 12, 2022 11:30 pm
I'd be down for something like this. I was literally brainstorming a similar setting today while traveling. Love the idea. Add me to the waiting list.
Oct 13, 2022 1:20 am
Many thanks for the feedback! I've got a lot of drawing to do, looks like.
Oct 13, 2022 2:29 am
I'm interested with @FoxGirlHanna to come with me!
Oct 13, 2022 2:32 am
MelodyMeradin says:
I'm interested with @FoxGirlHanna to come with me!
Can confirm interest, fantasy meeting western is rad!
Oct 13, 2022 12:10 pm
kinajardine says:
runekyndig says:
Oh! Didn't know that was a thing. I'll need to look into that to be sure I'm not stepping on any toes.
Oh no! Was not to discourage you. It was merely to inform you that there was another project out there that was exploring the D&D wild west niche that you could be inspired by. No one will have soar toes if you have a wand dual at the OK Corral :)
Oct 13, 2022 6:24 pm
I'm interested to. Sign me up.
Oct 20, 2022 7:25 pm
Uhhhhh- HELL yes! I am intersted a ton. For real. This is like the best of both worlds right here. A definite YES if you need players.
Last edited October 20, 2022 8:17 pm
Oct 20, 2022 10:16 pm
I still have a ton of work to do on this yet, lotta art I've got to draw, but I'm planning on having something put together by the end of the year that will take characters from levels 1 to 5.

Len

Oct 22, 2022 5:21 am
This sounds like a very cool project, best of luck @kinajardine!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.