[RETIRED] Interest Check: Lancer

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 23, 2022 2:46 pm
Anyone interested to play-test Lancer RPG? Honestly I'm not sure it is best suited for PBP and I think it's an RPG that aims for very narrow players type. So I would be surprised to end up running a game here. Though I never say never
[ +- ] Details
Last edited February 10, 2023 2:00 pm
Oct 23, 2022 2:59 pm
I've definitely seen lots of interest for it on the Discord so I would be surprised if you ended up not getting any players for it
Oct 23, 2022 3:46 pm
The website is a bit sparse on details. It does give me some Battletech (Mechwarrior) vibes. Is Lancer like that?

Edit: Never mind, the core rulebook is free. :D
Last edited October 23, 2022 3:48 pm
Oct 23, 2022 4:07 pm
Here is my personal impression of the game and how it differs from other PRGs:
1. You are not gaining magical abilities or fantastic race-based features. Not choosing your character class. You are instead choosing a mech (robot) of a certain class and pick weapons/mechanized systems to improve your combat abilities
2. Battle map compact (weapon max range is 20) and battle rules reward good player strategy.
3. Beside your Mech HP (which is easier to narrate than character HP) your mech could be overheated and hacked, it could loose some parts and some weapons and still continue to fight.
4. There are features/abilities, such as your pilot getting out of mech and putting it to work on AI that suggests players to narrate their turn, not just do the mechanics.
5. Out of combat part of the game - as I wrote above - is pity. Nevertheless points 3-4 above allow you to do the story narrative as part of the mech combat.
Last edited October 23, 2022 4:25 pm
Oct 23, 2022 7:18 pm
There's definitely interest. Maybe smaller than the end crowd but if you're on the discord there is a lancer channel. I would possibly be interested if my game load frees up.

I would disagree with you on the out of combat part. While the rules are looser you can definitely have a lot going on rp and narrative wise as you can with any game. I'm in an irl game of the first 'Module' and loving it, and hoping to run it here when I have time.
Oct 24, 2022 3:34 am
I have been summoned. You can blame Bowl.

1) yes, Lancer can be played in pbp. I've done it - Light and Bowl have witnessed my own test run, and I've managed to get a bit further in both a game I ran on another occasion, as well as a player. Frankly, anything can be done in pbp if you're willing and patient enough.

Also, it is very likely that I'm to blame for the GP discord having a lancer channel. But that's what happens when I get hit with a hyperfocus lol

2) the non-combat rules are very light so, as 11dragonkid puts it nicely, you can focus on the role-playing. And so you can easily get back to the punching of mechs with ease.

3) RESOURCES! Comp/CON is critical as well as the slickest CharGen site-app ever, 11dragonkid's videos on YouTube are fantastic at covering both the rules and the lore (you'll get used to the robot voice, I swear), retrograde minis is a fun site for mech sprites ala Front Mission, and the official lancer discord is the best place to swing by if you need help (and maps).

I'm on my phone, so I'm just posting links straight

https://compcon.app/#/
https://youtube.com/watch?v=uyQcrpCy4iQ&feature=share&si=EMSIkaIECMiOmarE6JChQQ
https://www.retrogrademinis.com/
https://discord.gg/lancer

Feel free to hit me up if you need help, ideas, whatever. Lancer is one of my favorites.
Last edited October 24, 2022 3:36 am
Oct 24, 2022 2:28 pm
I've tried running it before and had issues, but I would love to play, depending on the expected frequency.
Oct 24, 2022 2:43 pm
I'm going to skip for now. Although the setting seems really cool and I do love me sum big mech warfare, I don't really have the time to learn a new ruleset right now.
Oct 24, 2022 3:05 pm
I'll express interest in joining, the system looks fun though I have 0 experience with it. However, I'll put myself as bottom of the queue, in case there are those more familiar and/or eager than I.
Oct 24, 2022 3:28 pm
Few more details I'm finalizing:
1. I'm not totally giving up on the narrative part, but I want to concentrate on (quoting 11dragonkid's ) the bread and butter of the game - mech combat.
2. I will introduce opportunity of narrative role-play between combats and even influence context of next combat through the narrative role-play. I just see story about Lancers to be primary about their battle victories, while anything else just contributing to hat victory.
3. I am ready to post as often as twice a day. Expect players to post at least 3 times per week.
Oct 24, 2022 3:31 pm
Quote:
1. I'm not totally giving up on the narrative part, but I want to concentrate on (quoting 11dragonkid's ) the bread and butter of the game - mech combat.
Booooo!
😋
Oct 24, 2022 5:21 pm
I'd definitely like to put the game through its mechanical paces and see if it works well in PbP.
Dec 21, 2022 1:01 pm
Oh hell yes, I am interested in playing Lancer in any shape or form, finding GMs for this game is quite hard.
Lancer play by post robot combat would be very slow and the use of grid maps would be mandatory, perfect for mine smooth brain do its slow thinking, but I can see that this would push some people away. In comparison playing outside the mecha is not as crunchy.
Last edited December 21, 2022 1:02 pm
Dec 21, 2022 1:35 pm
I've sent you an invite but here is the warning - my current 3 players are rather passive right now and I was considering closing the game. I hope you could bring some life to the game.
Feb 10, 2023 1:43 pm
Hello! If this is still open, I am interested.
Feb 10, 2023 1:49 pm
I retired the game some time ago. Although I loved the game at the table here is
[ +- ] My conclusions about Lancer combat in pbp

You do not have permission to post in this thread.