Interest Check: Occult Fantasypunk

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedSavage WorldsPublic3 / weekmeseszovo
I have a setting in the brewing that I'd like to publish some time, and I would like some adventurers to wander around to prompt me to come up with details and ideas. I'm looking for 2-3 players for that.

Generally, I like player input for the world, but this is an exception, because everything you make up is not my creation. Instead, I'd like players to ask me for stuff, as vaguely as possible while still being specific enough to make me understand what I need to do. So, don't create a very detailed guild of clockmakers for your connection, ask me for a 'tinker-based group I can turn to'. This is new to me, but that's how I need it.

The participants are regular players without taking part in detailed worldbuilding.

Dec 18, 2022 5:08 pm
Hello All!

I registered here for a very specific purpose: I have a setting in the brewing that I'd like to publish some time, and I would like some adventurers to wander around to prompt me to come up with details and ideas. I'm looking for 2-3 players for that.

Generally, I like player input for the world, but this is an exception, because everything you make up is not my creation, so instead I'd like players to ask me for stuff, as vaguely as possible while still being specific enough to make me understand what I need to do. So, don't create a very detailed guild of clockmakers for your connection, ask me for a 'tinker-based group I can turn to'. This is new to me, but that's how I need it.

And, let's see the ruleset. Realistic options for me:
- Fate Core or Condensed
- Pathfinder1 (with Occult Adventures in the spotlight)
- Savage Worlds (with Psionics and Weird Science enabled)
- D&D 5e (including potential homebrew occultist classes)

If you're interested, please indicate which ruleset is acceptable for you, and you priority among them.

Starting date and post frequency: I'd be happy to start as soon as possible, because I have a creative momentum now, but it's ok if we start later, too. I can post most days, sometimes more than once, but a regular posting of 2-3 times a week from players is completely fine.

The setting so far.

Yes, I took the Cyberpunk seed and planted it in a fantasy world with an upcoming occult disaster.
Last edited December 26, 2022 11:48 am
Dec 18, 2022 7:05 pm
I am absolutely intrigued by this! I'd be happy to help contribute to the growth and testing of your setting.

As for systems...

I'm probably the most familiar with D&D 5E.

That said... I've created some characters for SWADE and have done some reading for that system, and my understanding is Pathfinder 1E is very close to D&D 3.5 so I am sure I could adapt fairly quickly.

Fate is the system I have no experience with, and while I am certainly willing to learn a new system... I am not sure trying to learn a new system in this instance would be wise, since we are working on your setting. I wouldn't want anything to split our focus.
Last edited December 18, 2022 7:05 pm
Dec 18, 2022 7:12 pm
This sounds very interesting. As I read your setting I was thinking This is shadowrun, but in the renaissance.
My first thought is that SWADE would be the preferred system I think. I usually find Pathfinder 1e to be an unbalanced mess, where your character is severely punished if you don't build it just right.
Dec 18, 2022 7:13 pm
I'd like to join in to help build your world, @meseszovo.

I prefer 5e as the ruleset.
Dec 18, 2022 7:14 pm
runekyndig says:
I usually find Pathfinder 1e to be an unbalanced mess, where your character is severely punished if you don't build it just right.
So, D&D 3.5, like I said. 😂🤣
Dec 18, 2022 7:31 pm
JamaisVu says:
I prefer 5e as the ruleset.
I would argue against the 5e ruleset. The 5e adventure is closer to a superhero than the rouges and back ally spellcasters that this setting has the feel of.
Dec 18, 2022 7:45 pm
Not sure what a rouge is in this context, but 5e does Rogues quite nicely.

As I posted above, I prefer using 5e. Its not a debate. You disagree. Noted.
Dec 19, 2022 12:38 pm
To clarify, we wouldn't be actually playing a game, but rather we are participating in worldbuilding? (Not that that's an issue, collective worldbuilding is awesome too!)
Dec 19, 2022 1:46 pm
BedzoneII says:
To clarify, we wouldn't be actually playing a game, but rather we are participating in worldbuilding? (Not that that's an issue, collective worldbuilding is awesome too!)
I kinda got the impression it was some of both.
Dec 19, 2022 1:49 pm
Quote:
I would like some adventurers to wander around to prompt me to come up with details and ideas
Quote:
so instead I'd like players to ask me for stuff, as vaguely as possible while still being specific enough to make me understand what I need to do. So, don't create a very detailed guild of clockmakers for your connection, ask me for a 'tinker-based group I can turn to'.
The way I understand it, the players aren't really meant to worldbuild but their actions and interests inspire meseszovo to worldbuild further
Dec 19, 2022 4:42 pm
Quote:
I usually find Pathfinder 1e to be an unbalanced mess, where your character is severely punished if you don't build it just right.
Quote:
The 5e adventure is closer to a superhero than the rouges and back ally spellcasters that this setting has the feel of.
And that's generally true for any D&D version upward from 3.0, so I'm leaning towards SWADE or Fate now.
Quote:
The way I understand it, the players aren't really meant to worldbuild but their actions and interests inspire meseszovo to worldbuild further.
That is exactly what I wanted to convey, so almost the opposite of we wouldn't be actually playing a game, but rather we are participating in worldbuilding
Last edited December 19, 2022 4:47 pm
Dec 19, 2022 5:23 pm
Well, if 5E is off the table I'll cast my vote for SWADE. As mentioned, I have a little familiarity with the character creation system, and while my first game just got started I've at least read some of the system rules.

My only argument in favor of running with 5E is I feel most of us are very familiar with the rules, which would aleviate a bit of the burden... one less thing to worry about, as it were.

If you're looking to capture a Shadowrun vibe, it may be worth pointing out that even starting runners always feel like they're a cut above the average citizen, so it isn't too different from D&D at least in that regard.
Last edited December 19, 2022 5:27 pm
Dec 20, 2022 3:29 am
Pathfinder 1e gets my vote. I very much enjoy the Kineticist class, would like a higher level game than 1st if manageable. 3-6th level is best IM(NS)HO. I study a lot of occult practices personally, and you'll find I have much to add to the story because of this.

Edit:

Read the setting and couldn't help but be reminded of Journey to the West. Don't fret, Journey to the West may actually be the first high fantasy/sci-fi story written and so much of the Genre is based on it. Dating back to 1592 it is interesting how much of our modern sci-fi is included in it. Such as synthetic humans, lasers, electrical engineering, computers, and the like. As well as more classical fantasy icons like magic weapons, evil wizards, misunderstood bandits, and the undead.

Sun Wu-Kong, the protagonist, is the influence for many superheroes of the modern world. Goku and Superman to name two such heroes.

Seems fun and familiar.
Last edited December 20, 2022 3:36 am
Dec 20, 2022 6:51 am
@JamaisVu, @Jomsviking, is your stated ruleset the only one you are willing to play (5e / PF1), or there are others but your stated one is your favorite?
Quote:
If you're looking to capture a Shadowrun vibe, it may be worth pointing out that even starting runners always feel like they're a cut above the average citizen
The Wild Card mechanics in Savage Worlds make sure of the same thing. There's the Wild Die, three wounds instead of one, and PCs also have bennies. And now that I mentioned them, any ideas for renaming bennies for this setting?
Dec 20, 2022 7:03 am
@meseszovo

I don't have time to learn another rules system. I will weigh heavily that pathfinder fits the sci-fi/fantasy genre better than most but I'm also unfamiliar with the others. I know Fate and Savage Worlds are rules lite. I think it could be done well in savage worlds but I've only ever played it one time.
Dec 20, 2022 7:14 am
Curious to see what you end up going with, meseszovo. Not for nothin', neither Fate nor Savage Worlds are particularly light. You probably know this since you listed them, but just in case. And both would bring a higher-flying, pulpier style to the game -- make sure that's something you're after.
Dec 20, 2022 8:04 am
meseszovo says:
@JamaisVu, is your stated ruleset the only one you are willing to play (5e), or there are others but your stated one is your favorite?
I'm not a fan of FATE and generally find characters in SWADE to be boring. I know PF1, but prefer 5e over that because its less complicated.
Dec 20, 2022 10:20 am
meseszovo says:

The Wild Card mechanics in Savage Worlds make sure of the same thing. There's the Wild Die, three wounds instead of one, and PCs also have bennies. And now that I mentioned them, any ideas for renaming bennies for this setting?
Agreed.

That was more in reference to rune's comment that 5E feels more superhero-y. Thematically, you can narrate any system as having a more gritty, "street" feel to it -- that's largely a narrative quality. From a mechanical standpoint, all "5e being closer to a superhero" means to me is that the PCs are capable of things NPCs just aren't... which is also very true in Shadowrun. So if Shadowrun is the type of vibe you're going for, that superhero feeling isn't necessarily out of place. (And wouldn't be the reason to discount 5e as a system, imo.)

As for bennies... if you settle on the SWADE system, is there really a need to rename them? My first suggestion would have been edges, but SWADE already uses that term for something else. You could rename edges as merits, and then bennies as edges, but that's needlessly confusing... "Grit," maybe? Most of what you can spend bennies on feel like ways your character would steel themselves in a crisis.
Last edited December 20, 2022 10:21 am
Dec 20, 2022 10:49 am
A bit late to the party it seems but I am also interested if it turns out others aren't interested I'm game. I always love helping with world building, and the setting seems intriguing (Getting some sunless sea/sky vibes from eldritch sea).

Not going to wade too much into the system arguments, I'll try anything (and very used to pathfinder). I will agree if you want more horror elemnty along with the occult 5e and pathfinder especially don't necessarily work with that as characters get very powerful, so it's hard to feel that sense of fear. But I'm sure it is possible.

The pathfinder occult classes are fun however and can definitely lean into investigating occult things. I do get peoples feelings on 'You have to build a character just right'. You do need all the players and DM to be on the same page for power level or people can get left in the dust (I say this as it with my favourite system, I love its options n but oh is it a mess )

Would likely be less into 5e of the 4 as I've realised I don't get along with it, but you'll always get interest in a 5e game.

And just writing this skimmed up again to see it is swinging more towards Swade and fate but I typed it all out now :p. I'd be okay with either of those.
Dec 20, 2022 5:21 pm
Quote:
As for bennies... if you settle on the SWADE system, is there really a need to rename them?
There's no need :) I'd prefer something more in style, that's all.
Quote:
neither Fate nor Savage Worlds are particularly light. You probably know this since you listed them, but just in case. And both would bring a higher-flying, pulpier style to the game -- make sure that's something you're after.
Savage Worlds has core setting rules for grittier or more superheroic feel, so I wouldn't even need to invent them.
Quote:
My only argument in favor of running with 5E is I feel most of us are very familiar with the rules, which would aleviate a bit of the burden... one less thing to worry about, as it were.
Agreed.

With all this talk about rulesets, I haven't decided yet, and 5e isn't out of the picture, either. I like SWADE, probably obvious from my remarks, but a ruleset is only useful if I have players.

One thing I want to add mechanically, is preparation for a mission, because I really wouldn't like to get lost in details, probably for weeks or months in pbp, before every single mission. Some skills rolls, default + skill result Prep Points, which you can use to boost rolls or add useful narrative details, then you have to add a flashback description to your post about how you got some tool or lore or whatever during mission prep. Mission-limited Fate points, basically.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.