Witch Craft (Savage Worlds Adventure Edition)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedSavage WorldsPrivate3 / weekDunko
Hook:
You're a coven who owns and operates Witch Craft Brewing Co., a failing craft brewery in Salem, Massachusetts. Things are looking dire: the business if floundering and creditors are blowing up your phone. But with some hard work, good marketing, and some savvy business practices you may just be able to turn things around!

But that's the easy part. See, everyone "in the know" is aware Salem is the site of a massive and potent ley line. This draws all sorts of supernatural folk to town, some who don't have the best intentions. But what some of these folk have forgotten is that Salem is under the protection of witches. And recently, that responsibility has fallen on your coven.

https://i.imgur.com/cTIwDx0.png

Tone and Style:
Aiming at Buffy the Vampire Slayer or The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. It's a world populated by monsters who are not always devious or evil, and where town politics are sometimes more pressing than world ending rituals. There will be spooky elements and horror flavor, but it's of the variety you'd see on a prime time drama.

Taking a page out of Free League's book, Advancement will be accomplished by hitting Character and Story goals. Battling evil, casting rituals, and disagreeing with your friends and coven.

Episodes will have a main monster plot, and a small town, brewery in trouble subplot.

https://i.imgur.com/Lcs2g7s.png

Length and Frequency:
Gonna keep the posting frequency relaxed(ish) so I think I'd only ask for 3 posts a week--for example, I'd likely only post on Mon, Wed, and Fri. The game will be episodic, and I'd try to keep the monster of the week element short and punchy, with the ongoing story weaving throughout. We can get an episode under our belt and see how it goes from there.

Who's Welcome:

I'm welcoming players of any experience level. Savage Worlds can be pretty simple, and we'll keep it that way, leaning into that simplicity--in fact, ignore Situational Rules section of core book, if you have it.

All marginalized groups and persons are welcome. Characters in this game world specifically and explicitly don't judge each other based on gender, race, orientation, preferences, physical ability or appearance and the same is expected of the players.

Applying:

If you're interested post here with just a sentence or two on who your witch is, and what their friends find to be their worst quality.

I'm a firm believer in front story over backstory, so keep it light and don't over think it!

Dec 21, 2022 12:36 am
Starting to recruit for this. See Above:
Last edited December 21, 2022 12:37 am
Dec 21, 2022 12:40 am
Hmm, this does sound interesting. Is it a Witches only club, or are Warlocks allowed?
Dec 21, 2022 12:41 am
I think some warlocks could def join the coven!
Dec 21, 2022 12:48 am
Count me in. I'll start figuring out a concept. Definitely a Warlock, possibly one whose from a proud lineage of Witches/Warlocks.
Dec 21, 2022 4:39 am
Oh, I definitely want in on this! It sounds great.

My character idea would be a nerdy, bookwormy witch who has come from Europe to Salem recently-ish to study the ley line there. She's far more comfortable with magic in theory than in praxis. She also doesn't actually like beer, but when she met the others and got caught up in the enthusiasm they have for the brewery (whether it already existed at that point or was still in planning), she accidentally neglected to mention that. And she's really trying her best regardless.

As for worst quality, well, she does have a tendency to be really nosy about other people's business and she has a definite ear (and mouth) for gossip.
Dec 21, 2022 4:50 am
You definitely have my interest, and I think I can handle a slower paced game. (Famous Last words, but am in better health now,)

Concept would be someone trying to live up to high ranking/well renowned bloodline of witches, while hiding the parts of her that would be seen as less respectable. To her friends from those circles she'll claim she got dragged into the business as a favour, to her family she says its and excuse to stay near the ley line and study in, where is reality she is one of those staying up late at night trying to work out new formula, or improve taste, and relishing in the escape of the pressure of family, even if the shop comes with its own challenges.

Worst quality would be pride and the need to show off, (and seem useful) and refusal to accept she can't do something, being very easy to goad into a bet or and action with a few words, especially from family.
Last edited December 21, 2022 4:58 pm
Dec 21, 2022 5:27 am
I would be interested in this if you'll have me. As an aside, a male witch is known as a witch. A warlock is an oath breaker. My witch is a newbie to the Craft and very excitable. She's also new to town, having only moved here in the last two months. Her worst trait is her exuberance for the Craft, bordering on fanaticism. She extols the virtues of being a witch to any who will listen (and most who won't).
Dec 21, 2022 6:25 am

As above so below
Follow the rule of 3

I want to be a part of this game!
Quote:
If you're interested post here with just a sentence or two on who your witch is, and what their friends find to be their worst quality.
My character, Jemma, is the middle sister. One older brother and one younger sister.
Brother (21) is the pride of the family as he is going to law-school to become a lawyer
Little (17) sister is a spoiled brat that get everything she wants and blessed with stunning good looks. She applies her looks to become miss-popular-slut.

With her brother getting the attention of the grownups and her sister getting the attention of her peers, Jemma (19) went to her grandmother. There she found an ally, a teacher and in the craft they shared, she found her own identity.

Her worst quality? She is properly overdoing the bi-sexual witchcraft identity thing. Even if the herbal tea to releave the menstrual pains actually is helping, it can be a bit much from time to time.
Last edited December 21, 2022 8:49 am
Dec 21, 2022 9:53 am
Probably too late now but for some reason Iā€™m thinking someone possessed, or maybe even a lost demon that somehow got into the coven, like a familiar sort of thing, since there are a lot of witches already. Worse quality of being a demon? Maybe one of the sins, like sloth. Generally too lazy to make trouble, but also too lazy to help šŸ˜†
Last edited December 21, 2022 10:20 am
Dec 21, 2022 7:51 pm
Thank you to those of you who posted! I'm gonna take a look at the messages tonight--just finishing up some work at the moment. :D
Dec 21, 2022 9:12 pm
Interesting. If there's a back up or reserve list, I'd like to be on it
Dec 21, 2022 9:24 pm
crazybirdman says:
Interesting. If there's a back up or reserve list, I'd like to be on it
As long as Dunko hasnt made his choice yet, no reason not to throw in an application. Maybe your concept convinces him

crazybirdwitch

CESN

Dec 21, 2022 9:34 pm
A crazy witch whose spell went wrong and you will play a bird woman?

crazybirdwitch
Last edited December 21, 2022 9:37 pm
Dec 21, 2022 10:52 pm
OK, thanks to all those who replied! I truly appreciate your time and interest. I've sent out some invites and will def have a reserve list and will reach out in the event that something changes.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.