[IC] Savage Worlds: Pinebox Middle School

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 21, 2022 9:18 pm
Let me put this out there and see where it goes...

Is anyone familiar with Pinebox, Texas? It's a little town in the eastern part of the state and home to East Texas University. Like all small towns, it has an elementary school, a middle school, and a high school as well. It also has more than its share of supernatural happenings. Don't get me wrong; Pinebox is a great place to live, so long as you don't mind the occasional strangeness.

I recently backed the Savage Worlds SWADE Horror Companion and went all in. While the Horror Companion (the alpha is expected next year) has yet to be released, I do have an alpha of Pinebox Middle School, a supplement and campaign setting. In this campaign, you play a 6th grader in Pinebox Middle School. In addition to the trials that all kids face, you also have to contend with the weirdness that is native to Pinebox (and if you've ever played or run East Texas University, you know how weird it can get!).

They have gone out of their way to make playing a kid exciting and it looks like a blast! For example, you get Bennies for kid tropes, like thinking that you are invulnerable, having meltdowns, and sneaking out after dark. Instead of a base, the kids get a clubhouse. There are rules for weapons like super soakers and water balloons. I (obviously) cannot share the book, but I'm willing to work with you to generate your characters if you are interested.

So what say you? Are you ready to return to the days of your misspent youth? Do you have what it takes to delve into the mysteries of Pinebox? If you are interested, speak up and if there is enough interest, I'll set up the campaign over the holiday.
Dec 21, 2022 9:21 pm
That sounds amazing.

I'm joining way too many games at once right now, but I'm definitely interested in this one.

Feel free to skip me over for someone with fewer games, but I'd love to join
Dec 21, 2022 9:42 pm
I'd definitely be interested in this one. I played in a short lived game dealing with East Texas University so I'm up for weird.
Dec 22, 2022 1:06 am
I’m interested—sounds like a fun setting/idea! Two of my favorite movies are The Goonies and Stand By Me, so I might mine some character ideas from those.
Dec 22, 2022 6:44 pm
I don't know the game system and would have to learn the rules. But I love rpg settings of kids solving (scary) mysteries.
Dec 22, 2022 8:53 pm
The beauty of Savage Worlds is in its simplicity. Each skill or attribute is a type of die (d4, d6, d8, d10, or d12). Simply roll the appropriate die and if you get a 4 or higher, you succeed. Okay, there's a little more to it, but that's the gist. Initiative is by card draw and most of the dice explode (that is, if you get the maximum number possible for that type of die, you roll again and add the results, ad infinitum). This is called an Ace. Each time you get four above the number you require, that's called a Raise, and it usually carries a benefit of some sort. The one thing you never want to see is snake eyes (two ones on the dice). That's a critical failure and something goes awry. The only other thing to remember is each time you roll a skill or trait, you also roll a d6 (called the Wild Die). Take the higher result of the Wild Die (which can Ace as normal) or your other roll.
Dec 22, 2022 9:06 pm
Sounds simple enough. If you don't mind a newbie, I'd love to join.
Dec 22, 2022 9:21 pm
Never played a game with any cards so, I'll try if you're willing to accept some stumbles.

I know exactly what kid I'd want to be but I'm open to ideas.

Also, I'd be willing to help design character sheets if someone hasn't already.
Last edited December 22, 2022 9:22 pm
Dec 22, 2022 9:22 pm
There are at least two Savage Worlds character sheets already. I've only used a pretty basic one, but it's worked perfectly fine for me so far
Dec 23, 2022 12:41 am
I have no objection to newcomers, all are welcome in my games. I am happy to help you generate your character and get used to the rules.
Dec 23, 2022 9:03 am
This sounds amazing, I love the idea and setting...some of my favorite types of games. Consider me very interested if you are still looking for more players.
Dec 23, 2022 4:08 pm
I think you;ve got enough interest here, but if you ever need a spare I may be interested. Been umming and erring due to the younger age, as not hundred percent sure would do a good job rping that :P. BUt it does genuinely look interesting, and I;ve always been interest in ETU.
Dec 23, 2022 5:03 pm
Just think like a 6th grader and you'll do fine. :)
Dec 23, 2022 5:04 pm
Okay, I'll set up a proper forum over the Christmas break and send out invites. Look to get started in the New Year.
Dec 24, 2022 9:55 pm
Looking forward to it. Enjoy the holidays.
Dec 24, 2022 11:14 pm
love this type of setting, I have been running a very similar one for a year or so (Monster Hunters Club) for the Weekenders game.

(not in BTW, best of luck with it!)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.