Setting

Feb 11, 2015 4:04 pm
Hello all. This thread is for discussing the kind of setting we want to play in.

EldritchFire suggested using A Spark In Fate Core to create the setting, and it does look like a nifty little book to help put things in system.
Feb 12, 2015 2:38 am
Cool...I read Spark when it came out. It is a very cool world building system.

If its not to forward I will go ahead and throw my media out there..
The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson)

The element I like is the "Fates repeated through the Ages" the main characters deal with.
Feb 12, 2015 5:36 am
If we're throwing out elements, I'd like to put forth the Stargate franchise. Gates that go between planets. For a fantasy game, it would be the equivalent of teleportation gates.
Last edited April 5, 2015 2:45 pm
Feb 12, 2015 9:59 pm
Wow cool ideas and they seem they can merge together well.

I have sparks of Fate and will read it, but for now I will ride the others posts to understand what I have to put down.

So, now, media...
Jack Vance "Demon Princes"...very old book, one of the first I read of sci-fi.
What I like: revenge theme to be taken out on POWERFUL and evil (or just selfish) lords/warlords or whatever. Some mistery and exotic cultures with strange and sometime unsetting uses. (that I think would merge very well with the suggestions of EldritchFire and foolsmask.

p.s.: for anyone who don't have me on g+/facebook:
G+ : https://plus.google.com/+GiorgioDeMichele/
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/giorgio.demichele
my artgallery: http://erebus-art.deviantart.com/
Last edited February 12, 2015 10:01 pm
Feb 13, 2015 8:35 pm
Considering the date my pick is 50 shad... nope... can't even joke about it :P

But as I've just started a new marathon watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer from the start I'll choose that. I enjoy the scrappy, rag tag team standing up against what should be overwhelming odds versus "big bads", stopping the Apocalypse one joke at a time.
Feb 14, 2015 4:18 am
So far I am loving this set-up.
Feb 18, 2015 12:27 am
Are we just waiting on Locke? Does he know about this forum?
Feb 18, 2015 3:29 pm
Sorry for not responding earlier. I've been lurking without much to add. :)

I've been playing some Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning lately, and coupled with my love of the Dresden Files, I'll toss out the faerie courts as my setting element (Summer and Winter, mostly, but we could add in Spring and Autumn, if we feel like it).
Feb 18, 2015 4:03 pm
So here is what we have so far

Foolsmask: Fates repeated through the ages
Eldritch Fire: Teleportation Gates
Erebus: Revenge on powerful, evil Warlords
Furmyr: Rag tag band standing against the Apocalypse
Locke: Faerie Courts (at least 2 maybe more)

So does anyone have any other inspirations to add in? I think this is a good list but we can keep going.

As for Genre...we all jumped on board for Heroic Fantasy...so I don't think there is much discussion needed there. The "Descriptor" is eluding me though. The book doesn't provide much detail on how to decide on that.
Feb 18, 2015 5:00 pm
Thanks for summarizing foolsmask. Descriptor just seems to be a word to describe the focus of the game. Like: Urban, Post-Apocalyptic, Steampunkish, Wartime, Jungle.

Fantasy is a pretty wide genre so it could be it warrants a discussion to narrow it down some.
Feb 19, 2015 12:30 am
I see your point. I guess my brain was stuck in the default of the Heroic Roleplay descriptions. We could go another direction, It doesn't have to be "High-Fantasy" but that is my default position.
Feb 19, 2015 4:07 pm
I was expecting something closer to high fantasy, too, though I'm open to other ideas. More Faerun than Eberron, though, if that reference means anything to you. :)
Feb 19, 2015 4:32 pm
I agree with high-fantasy reading the setting that is coming out from the inspirations!
Feb 20, 2015 6:30 am
Okay, looks like we'll go with heroic fantasy.

Then we'll just have to come up with a descriptor.
Feb 21, 2015 7:04 am
Well...based on what we have so far we could go with something like "High Fantasy facing an impending Apocalypse". It grabs an idea from Furmyr's Buffy idea and leaves room for the Evil Warlord & Faerie Court ideas to be woven in.
Last edited February 22, 2015 6:03 am
Feb 22, 2015 6:40 pm
I'm down with that!
Feb 22, 2015 9:51 pm
Great!!
Feb 23, 2015 1:26 am
Sounds good to me.
Feb 23, 2015 8:27 pm
Okay. Then we just need to determine scale. Should we stick with one city, region or world hopping.

Considering one of the ideas was teleport gates, we could have a setting with lots of travel with a fleshed out homebase as well.
Feb 24, 2015 1:18 am
I agree. The adventure can span worlds but having a strong home base we have to comeback to is a cool idea
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.