[Interest check] Persona ttrpg

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 3, 2023 8:30 pm
I have come across a couple of fan made systems for a ttrpg set in the universe of the Persona games and how to play in that structure. I am fairly new to pbp but not ttrpgs in general, and have been interested in running a game for a while. Before I found pbp I had trouble whenever I tried it due to the whole 'talking in front of people for a few hours each week or so' thing. Having found pbp, and found I enjoy it, I was thinking about tackling being a gm again. Before doing a lot of work though, I wanted to see if it was something people would be interested in.

System used is a choice between this one, which seems more steam lined and this one, which offers extra day to day activities. I am leaning on the first one for the less activities as that would help with overall game length.

Game flow would be Morning > Lunch time > Afternoon > After school > Evening > Night. In Persona you play as high schoolers in Japan (or a Japan based reality) so that would be the school days flow. A weekend/holiday would flow as Daytime > Night. We do not use every slot every day, and not every slot used is one that needs to be roleplayed through.

Morning: In class/school events. Mostly informational but have some small thing like a test question or opportunity for limited reaction. Often not used.

Lunch time: a short period of time for things like a nap (short rest), short messages, etc. Not used often formally, mostly for pcs to state the small thing they do.

Afternoon: In class/school events. Often small stat opportunities, like a quiz question in class for a stat boost. Often not used.

After school: a short period of time for a nap, some shopping, short planning between pcs. Same as lunch time, mostly for pcs to do small things that take 15-30 minutes.

Evening (school day)/ Daytime (weekend/holiday): The main chunk of play time. This is where pcs can enter dungeons, work a job, raises social links, etc. Players choose what they wish to use this block for, except in rare cases.

Night: Long rest/sleeping

Pbp format would need some working out so that it didn't take forever to do anything. A rough idea is this: play would be less free form than I have experienced in D&D as the 'you can go do whatever you want' format would make this game impossible. It would be more structured with time blocks where you decide what you do with it, and some time blocks might end up being little story events when triggers have been met. ie) you're close to failing the section by not beating the boss in time would trigger something, just as beating the boss in time would trigger the continuation of the plot. Players would decide ahead of time what they were doing that day/week and what needed to be roleplayed out would be done in order and then we would switch to a deciding phase again for the next day/week. For this I think I would have a schedule set up in a post, marking the events from my end and the free periods where players could choose what to do.

It would be a very different style of play than a lot of ttrpgs, even if I was doing it live. Less write your own adventure entirely and more choose your own adventure? If any one would be interested in something like this, or has ideas on how to make it work, then I could run a tester version where it would be a short week or two to test out the format and then a test for dungeons/combat. If it worked out good, see if there is interest for a campaign. If it needs work but has good bones, get feedback and try to tweak it some more. Thoughts?
Feb 5, 2023 9:16 am
I would definitely be interested. I haven't looked at the systems yet but will try to do so during the day.

Am curious how it would work in pbp. As said on the interest check discord, pbp can be slow, so may need time limits on the day phases.

Edit: Still reading, but to me the Second one (the PBTA Persona TTRPG) one seems more streamlined least for char gen and running, though I do like the crunch of Grimoire I appreciate that may not be everyone's thing. Haven't got to the downtime/activities yet.
Last edited February 5, 2023 1:12 pm
Feb 5, 2023 2:29 pm
Oh nice!

Yeah, I was thinking that as well. It would most likely also require a bit higher of a post commitment than a lot of pbp, which may also hamper interest. But that's why we have test runs, right?

I can see that. The need for only d6 makes things smoother as well in a way. If the amount of activities ends up being an issue, could always just not include them in the actual game. The PbtA one is the original one I was interested in, but it seems a bit cluttered for the activities. Crafting and fishing (off the top of my head), while fun, could potentially slow it down even more.
Feb 5, 2023 2:45 pm
As they are optional we can just discard some I assume. Like I would probably not have interest in fishing myself (though I find it amusing fishing minigames have no w made it into ttrpgs!)
Feb 5, 2023 4:57 pm
Oh, same. It makes me ask if it was needed, but it would be great in some campaigns.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.