[Interest Check] Swords and Wizardry Campaign

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 8, 2023 5:37 pm
Good morning all, I have a game or two about to end and I have a few campaign books heading my way (to be delivered later today). I am hoping to start up a long-running campaign using Swords and Wizardry Complete, with several modifications to make it a little less human-centric and less funnel-y. The game would expect posting roughly every day, with weekends optional (I'm usually busy over the weekends).

This would not begin until I have interest and the books, and at least one of the games actually ends. That might be a week, maybe a month. I'm known to be impatient, however.

If you are interested, please indicate which of the following you would be interested in! You can vote multiple times, in case more than one of these intrigues you.

Which theme would you be interested in? Multi Public

Vikings!
Arabian Nights
Classic Fantasy
Dungeon Delving
Feb 8, 2023 6:27 pm
If cowleyc is running a game I'm interested! Not familiar with the system but at a glance it looks like your basic DND clone just with one save instead of five. I am always up for some dungeon delving as most games I get to play in these days lean away from dungeons, but Arabian nights also sounds cool and has a bit of a Conan-y vibe to it.

Arabian Nights has my main vote. A guttersnipe thief or sorcerer's apprentice... so much more at home in the magic sands!
Last edited February 8, 2023 6:31 pm
Feb 8, 2023 6:37 pm
I’ll just throw my helm in the pit here as I’ve enjoyed playing side by side with you. I’m also unfamiliar with the game but I’m a quick study.

My votes in order of preference:
Vikings (just finished 2nd season of Valhalla)
Classic Fantasy (never tire of it)
Arabian nights (intrigue and dark sorcery?)
Dungeon delve (always good)
Feb 8, 2023 10:25 pm
Hmm I have been a fan of white box, a simplified and free version of S&W for a while now. I think Ill be interested.
Feb 9, 2023 1:16 am
Right out of the gate and Vikings has the most main interest. Though, admittedly, it is a small sample size. But dang it Jim, we're gamers, not scientists!

It's also the one I have the most content for, by far.
Last edited February 9, 2023 1:19 am
Feb 9, 2023 2:05 am
Rune seer; dibs! (I actually do runic divination, so lots of info)
Feb 9, 2023 2:51 am
Seems to me dungeon delving is up in the vote count... At least according to the vote chart.
Feb 9, 2023 2:54 am
Ah! That would be misleading. Valdus marked that, and you had it specifically listed as your second choice! But Rune and Darkstar both marked it, with the latter also commenting on priority. I have a pitifully empty spreadsheet open on my computer, and I'm doing some research on fair ranked voting.

Assuming that we have 4/3/2/1 points based on your preference, we end up with a chart like this.

VikingsArabianClassicDungeon
First211
Second11
Third1
Fourth1
Total8638

Dungeons are tied with Vikings, but Vikings has more first priority votes. Then again, Dungeon has received more votes in general.

Also, it's only day one of interest.
Last edited February 9, 2023 3:15 am
Feb 9, 2023 3:46 pm
I have the complete rulebook of S&W, it's more like a modern restatement of original D&D. I like it very much and was looking forward to playing a game with it!

I voted Vikings and Arabian Nights -- two settings that intrigue me a lot -- in no particular order. Who said it couldn't be both anyway?

Can't wait to start!
Feb 9, 2023 5:39 pm
kwll says:
I have the complete rulebook of S&W, it's more like a modern restatement of original D&D. I like it very much and was looking forward to playing a game with it!

I voted Vikings and Arabian Nights -- two settings that intrigue me a lot -- in no particular order. Who said it couldn't be both anyway?

Can't wait to start!
One of my DMing traditions is to include "XXX, played by Tim Curry" as an NPC... perhaps "XXX, played by Antonio Banderas" will have to make an apperance. Especially if the character is not at all a Spanish-alike.
Feb 9, 2023 8:12 pm
kwll says:

Can't wait to start!
Wow great reference! I guess there is historical precedent for such a mash up as well.
Feb 9, 2023 8:45 pm
If it helps, I think one campaign can lead right into the other, cutting out some introductory materials from the latter. That is assuming, of course, that you all survive long enough... or the game does.
Feb 10, 2023 5:11 am
Ok, that gives us enough interest to throw a game together. The winners are Vikings and Arabian Nights, so I'm looking at how to tie them together. Give me a bit of time to crunch some things together and look for the duct tape.
Feb 10, 2023 6:25 am
Huzzah! Let the adventures begin!
Feb 10, 2023 6:34 am
I'm trying hard to resist any new games but a couple of Conan games have slipped by my hungry gaze and now Arabian nights? You're killing me, cowleyc!
Feb 10, 2023 3:07 pm
CherokeeWind says:
I'm trying hard to resist any new games but a couple of Conan games have slipped by my hungry gaze and now Arabian nights? You're killing me, cowleyc!
I'll be putting up an actual advertisement for the game soon, and you can take a look at what the actual vibe will be! Have you played any OSR? It's a dangerous venture for folks who get invested in their characters.
Feb 11, 2023 12:58 am
My characters are prepared to die for your enjoyment
Feb 11, 2023 4:46 am
No, I haven't played OSR. I was thinking of expanding my horizons but not to death. So it sounds like I should pass for several reasons. But....but....Arabian Nights 😢
Feb 11, 2023 5:04 am
CherokeeWind says:
No, I haven't played OSR. I was thinking of expanding my horizons but not to death. So it sounds like I should pass for several reasons. But....but....Arabian Nights 😢
If it helps put you at ease, we're starting with much more Viking material.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.